Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the prompt answers, guys. It's a relief to know I won't have to replace the very expensive blower motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

Has anyone replaced the sound system in an E34 5 Series? Specifically, I want to at minimum put in a decent headunit, ideally new splits in the doors, new speakers in the rear shelf, and a decent sized sub in the boot.

It's gunna be a gigantic pain in the rear end isn't it? I looked at e34.net, but the guides there are sparse and seriously out of date. Any advice or should I just stick to casettes and tinny, lovely, 22 year old speakers?

Don't know why I'm even toying with the idea, she's getting a service tomorrow, and considering no interior lights work except the passenger sun guard flippy thingo (hosed if I know what it's called), and the AC is dead despite being perfectly physically perfectly fine and gassed, I've probably got bigger electrical issues to deal with.

But damnit, I'm sick of lovely music. I had to roadtrip 2,000 miles last week with nothing but AM radio. I can live without interior lights and AC.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The headunit is dirt easy, I can swap one in less than 60 seconds. Just get any 1-din unit and an E34 -> ISO adapter harness ($5 or thereabout)

Speakers are pretty much standard sizes, just remove the old ones and reuse the wiring. Any E34 or BMW DIY site will tell you how to remove panels to get to them. Draw new wiring and split any way you like.

My E34 had the 10-speaker business system with a proprietary amp, but this is pretty rare.

Oh, and fix your interior lights! It's just a matter of replacing the bulbs, and it feels so much better when poo poo is in order!

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Fermunky posted:

Mine occasioanlly does this, and I always thought it was just the "Auto" part trying to maybe calibrate itself. However, there is a Final Stage Unit, or some call it a Final Stage Resistor (FSU, FSR...) which controls the blower speed, and is a common item to fail on E46, and I think E36 models too. Other symptoms of a failing FSU was the blower staying on when the car is shut off.

Is this a cheap / easy fix? My E46 M3 does this exact same thing. I just figured it to be the blower motor or something. It still works great after a couple minutes.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
The factory e34 amp sucks. It would help a lot to replace it. If you do component speakers you can mount the crossovers where the amp was and if you want to trash the old amp for the connector, you could make it a plug and play affair.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

VibrioCholera posted:

Is this a cheap / easy fix? My E46 M3 does this exact same thing. I just figured it to be the blower motor or something. It still works great after a couple minutes.

You can get an OEM FSR for about $100 or so; depending on how nimble your fingers are, it can take between 30 minutes and 3 hours to replace. It is fairly straightforward, from what I gather, just really, really confined.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VibrioCholera posted:

DIY thread with plenty of pictures: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472392

It's near trivial, just a bit tight as MrChips notes.

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

As predicted, gunna have to hold off on the soundsystem for awhile.

AC compressor is completely blown, cooling system needs a flush and several new hoses, front sway links are virtually non-existant, Auto is showing signs of starting to leak, engine and transmission mounts are showing serious wear.

I loving love this car, but man, the costs rape me twice a year!

Now excuse me while I go back to dubbing cassettes :corsair:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Penguin Radar posted:

Now excuse me while I go back to dubbing cassettes :corsair:

I use one of those "tapes" with an mp3 line in, those actually work pretty well with my BLAUPUNKT stereo. I only wish it didn't automatically eject the tape on my e30 when you turn the drat radio off to retract the antenna.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

I use one of those "tapes" with an mp3 line in, those actually work pretty well with my BLAUPUNKT stereo. I only wish it didn't automatically eject the tape on my e30 when you turn the drat radio off to retract the antenna.

Since I'm always listening via aux line or a tape adapter, I wired a switch into the dash using an OEM foglight switch to raise or lower the powered antenna. It's a super simple and easy as it's only one wire that you have to switch.

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

On that note, does anyone know of a headunit that actually looks like it would fit in an e34 535i? One of the big reasons I haven't swapped it sooner is that all I've looked at look like poo poo, and clash completely with the 80's Orange LED/woodgrain combo, whereas the stock headunit just loving fits perfectly.

I wish I could upgrade the speakers/amp/splits and chuck in a sub, and leave the current headunit to keep the looks. I know I "could", but I also know it'd be a complete waste.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm a weak person: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270658968919

At least they were only $40. Hoping I can black out the M logos somehow, I don't want them visible on my non-M car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Penguin Radar posted:

On that note, does anyone know of a headunit that actually looks like it would fit in an e34 535i? One of the big reasons I haven't swapped it sooner is that all I've looked at look like poo poo, and clash completely with the 80's Orange LED/woodgrain combo, whereas the stock headunit just loving fits perfectly.

I wish I could upgrade the speakers/amp/splits and chuck in a sub, and leave the current headunit to keep the looks. I know I "could", but I also know it'd be a complete waste.

Here are a few I was looking at for my E34. My thoughts were that the best unit to not clash would be one of the ones with few buttons that are sort of a slab of black

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_764FZ409/Clarion-FZ409.html

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613KDCX794/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X794.html

However I'm having a bear of a time finding a good looking unit with rear USB, iPhone support, and bluetooth handsfree. I prefer to wire up the rear USB to a cable under the dash, and then to a windshield mount cradle and let the iPhone do all the music.

8ender fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 25, 2011

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

double post :(

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Penguin Radar posted:

I have this one, the JVC KD-HDR50 in my E36:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IOMshRgXAxM/p_105KDHDR50/JVC-KD-HDR50.html

Although I think it's been updated to the HDR70 at this point. The cool thing about it is that you can select the color of the display and buttons to match the lighting in your car. So I have mine set to match the amber buttons and lights in my car. Another cool thing is that it's ready for a sat radio and bluetooth input, both of which I did. The extra pieces tuck away under your dash and get controlled through the unit, so there's no extra clutter in your cabin. It's a pretty swank setup. :)

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
I'm on the hunt for an e30 325i or is and this popped up in my search: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2277350471.html

I emailed the guy asking what, exactly, needed work and got this back:

"1. Steering rack/rods.

2. Struts/Arms/Bushings.

3. Drive Axles.

4. Rotors/Pads/ABS Wiring.

Inspection is current. Timing belt was replaced by prior owner. I'm not sure about the WP. No records. Odo stopped at 157k - that is how I purchases it."

How bad of an idea is this car? I'm having visions of a money and time pit here, but I thought I'd ask.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

dreggory posted:

I'm on the hunt for an e30 325i or is and this popped up in my search: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2277350471.html

I emailed the guy asking what, exactly, needed work and got this back:

"1. Steering rack/rods.

2. Struts/Arms/Bushings.

3. Drive Axles.

4. Rotors/Pads/ABS Wiring.

Inspection is current. Timing belt was replaced by prior owner. I'm not sure about the WP. No records. Odo stopped at 157k - that is how I purchases it."

How bad of an idea is this car? I'm having visions of a money and time pit here, but I thought I'd ask.
Probably not a very good idea.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Kenshin posted:

Probably not a very good idea.

Not going to be cheap, your talking at least $3000 to fix the listed things, and thats just parts, not to mention the stuff he failed to disclose.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Dyscrasia posted:

Not going to be cheap, your talking at least $3000 to fix the listed things, and thats just parts, not to mention the stuff he failed to disclose.

I agree that it's probably not worth it, but don't you think your estimate is a bit high? I can see about $1K in parts there...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

McMadCow posted:

I agree that it's probably not worth it, but don't you think your estimate is a bit high? I can see about $1K in parts there...
We're talking about a car with unknown mileage and no service records here

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
And that is only the obvious stuff he's telling you.

I wouldn't even pay 1700 up here in a salt-filled land. Mabye 1k if I wanted a beater car. I would think living in the soutern US you could find a much better example.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Crustashio posted:

And that is only the obvious stuff he's telling you.

I wouldn't even pay 1700 up here in a salt-filled land. Mabye 1k if I wanted a beater car. I would think living in the soutern US you could find a much better example.

That's what I figured, but between craigslist and autotrader I've only seen a handful pop up. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. It's been a while since I've been in the market for an older car.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

8ender posted:

Here are a few I was looking at for my E34. My thoughts were that the best unit to not clash would be one of the ones with few buttons that are sort of a slab of black

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_764FZ409/Clarion-FZ409.html

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613KDCX794/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X794.html

However I'm having a bear of a time finding a good looking unit with rear USB, iPhone support, and bluetooth handsfree. I prefer to wire up the rear USB to a cable under the dash, and then to a windshield mount cradle and let the iPhone do all the music.

I have the unit in your second link in my e36 and have been very happy with it. It also has everything you're looking for minus Bluetooth, which you get with the X-994 for $50 more, plus you get more options for display colors rather than just white, including orange.

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613KDCX994/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X994.html?cc=01&search=Kenwood+(Refurbished)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

televiper posted:

I have the unit in your second link in my e36 and have been very happy with it. It also has everything you're looking for minus Bluetooth, which you get with the X-994 for $50 more, plus you get more options for display colors rather than just white, including orange.

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613KDCX994/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X994.html?cc=01&search=Kenwood+(Refurbished)

Fantastic. How is the bluetooth?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

dreggory posted:

That's what I figured, but between craigslist and autotrader I've only seen a handful pop up. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. It's been a while since I've been in the market for an older car.

For all that stuff to be shot, someone has been driving this thing for 50k while strenuously resisting every impulse (including that of self-preservation) that would suggest some routine maintenance might be in order. It sounds like an unusually bad example.

If you can't find anything in the next couple of months, never fear, that car will be back up for sale as a non-runner.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

8ender posted:

Fantastic. How is the bluetooth?

Unknown, I went for the cheaper model as I was being given a gift and didn't want to be greedy (they weren't on the outlet at the time, so the price difference was more like $300 vs $400 or something)

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I'm looking to replace my sound system in my 1999 BMW E46 323i. I bought it used and with the sports package. I'm not very knowledgeable on car audio systems, so I was going to go to a local shop but don't want to be ripped off and would like to do some of my own research. The bass in my system has just been blown out and I'm looking to replace that and the speakers, however, I'm not looking for the best system, I'm only trying to spend $200-$300. Any recommendations or resources I should check out?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
People may or may not know that I went through the displeasure of changing a window motor yesterday on my E36 coupe. It took forever and was a ballache but it got done, leaving me with a functional window... for a few hours. I try it again last night and nothing, just clicks.

To add to my misery, it turns out the old motor still works fine... so I wasted money on a part that still worked and didn't really fix anything; or at least I only fixed it temporarily. What the hell could the issue be? The motor clicks like it wants to go but is stuck and the lights in the car dim slightly as it draws power. The regulator might be shagged but why would it work for a while and then die? I greased the hell out of it to make sure it wasn't that... so what the hell is broken?

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Selling my wife's 2006 BMW 325i in Florida

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

runwiled posted:

People may or may not know that I went through the displeasure of changing a window motor yesterday on my E36 coupe. It took forever and was a ballache but it got done, leaving me with a functional window... for a few hours. I try it again last night and nothing, just clicks.

To add to my misery, it turns out the old motor still works fine... so I wasted money on a part that still worked and didn't really fix anything; or at least I only fixed it temporarily. What the hell could the issue be? The motor clicks like it wants to go but is stuck and the lights in the car dim slightly as it draws power. The regulator might be shagged but why would it work for a while and then die? I greased the hell out of it to make sure it wasn't that... so what the hell is broken?

Sorry to disappoint you mate, but it's almost certainly the regulator. I've literally never seen a failed window motor unless the car has been in some kind of accident, but the regulators fail constantly. Their flimsy plastic parts are guaranteed to fail eventually.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005
I'm looking to do the radiator/water pump preventative maintenance on my e36 '98 323 convertible with 91,xxx miles. So for I have come up with:

17-11-1-469-179-M75 Radiator,
11-53-1-708-499-M101 Radiator Hose, Upper
11-53-1-726-344-M101 Radiator Hose, Lower
82-14-1-467-704-M9 BMW Antifreeze, 1 gallon
17-20-1-719-414-M200 Rubber Insulator for Upper Radiator Mount
17-11-1-178-412-M200 Rubber Insulator for Lower Radiator Mount
17-11-1-723-339-M9 Radiator Mounting Bracket Lower Left
17-11-1-723-341-M604 Radiator Mounting Bracket Upper
11-28-1-469-266-M21 Belt for Alternator/Water Pump
11-51-7-527-799-M52 Water Pump Graf
11-53-1-265-084-M16 Thermostat O-Ring
11-53-1-740-437-M17 Gasket, Thermostat Housing
11-53-7-511-083-M164 Thermostat, 92 Degrees
17-11-1-742-231-M148 Radiator Cap 2.0 BAR
PEL-SW50189 Redline Water Wetter
PEL-TOL-1032T Fan Clutch Wrench
PEL-TOL-3008 Counter Holder
11-52-7-505-302-M6 Fan Clutch
11-28-1-470-024-M21 Belt for A/C Compressor
11-53-1-722-531-M9 Thermostat Cover - Plastic
17-11-1-712-788-M9 Bleeder Screw for Expansion Tank
17-11-1-723-520-M9 Coolant Expansion Tank
17-11-1-723-580-M9 Mounting Clip for Coolant Expansion Tank
61-31-8-360-855-M375 Coolant Level Sensor for Radiator
17-11-1-723-521-M21 Water Hose, Expansion Tank to Radiator

Anything I am missing? For the thermostat cover, Pelican says that they have an aluminum one, but I couldn't find it on their site. Is it worth getting?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Thats a big list, I'm not seeing a new fan blade on there. You should definitely replace the plastic fan blade while you're in there. You don't want it disintegrating and taking out a brand new radiator.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

revmoo posted:

Thats a big list, I'm not seeing a new fan blade on there. You should definitely replace the plastic fan blade while you're in there. You don't want it disintegrating and taking out a brand new radiator....

...and fan shroud, and hood, and anything else a broken plastic blade thrown at high speed might contact under there. Those blades can put some decent dents in a hood.

Also consider a brass coolant bleed screw instead of the lovely OEM plastic one. I've heard stories of the OEM ones cracking and blowing all the coolant out. And finally, hose clamps. Not strictly necessary, but they could probably stand to be replaced as well.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Black88GTA posted:

Also consider a brass coolant bleed screw instead of the lovely OEM plastic one. I've heard stories of the OEM ones cracking and blowing all the coolant out. And finally, hose clamps. Not strictly necessary, but they could probably stand to be replaced as well.

Just quoting this as someone who has done several E36 cooling systems. Since you're being a completist, might as well replace every part you're removing. Might also want to throw a dose or two of the cooling system cleanser stuff in there, to un-gunk the rest of the cooling system prior to adding good distilled water and antifreeze.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

Mine did exactly this. To be fair I think I overtorqued it but goddamn you can lose a lot of coolant quick through that little hole.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I bought the brass bleed screw. Haven't installed it yet because its going with my new surge tank.

It is a very very nice bolt, and a lot more pleasant to work with than the plastic one, just from playing around with it briefly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You play around with bolts?

spodycart
Jan 1, 2008
So someone talking about E28s got me poking around my local craigslists for a 535i or iS, and now I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger (sorry) on an '86 535i.

Here are the important details:
  • Pictures
  • 1986 535i 5-speed
  • ~250,000 miles
  • Seller is asking $1400

• Paint and body seem to be in relatively good shape
  • Appears to have sport package based on the steering wheel and bumper, but i'm not the most familiar with E28s
  • Aftermarket suspension, fuel pressure regulator, air/fuel mixture monitor (in pics)
  • According to the owner, it "has a problem with cold starts." He has apparently replaced the battery, alternator, distributor/cap, and plugs/wires in his efforts to cure it.
    Doing some research has lead me to find that cold start valve failure is at least a little common on these cars, with the only problem being that it's in a somewhat annoying location. He also mentioned the possibility of it being a short, could this be from the aftermarket air/fuel controller?

I've owned and loved my E46 for a couple years now and maintained it myself faithfully, and I think I'm pretty well prepared for the rigors of older BMW ownership. I don't have the most experience but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, am fairly mechanically inclined and in search of a mildly interesting project car. Not to mention I love the E30/2002 and older body styles and the hipster crowd has seemingly not caught on to E28s and driven the prices way up yet.

So what do you guys think? Worth it? If so, should I offer him less? Is that aftermarket air/fuel mixture stuff going to end up being a huge headache?

spodycart fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 28, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That looks like a bad idea to me. I would find one that hasn't been quite so hosed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Welp, can't decide if I should install a set of halo lights. What are your thoughts?

Here's the ride for comparison's sake

Y/N?

I've also been thinking of getting an E46 coupe in the near future. Or should I just wait for the new 3 series to debut and get an E92 after like a year or two?

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 28, 2011