Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Happily I think I only ever saw one show when she was in attendance, but she was a female member of the crowd who would just scream and scream and screeeeaaaaaammmmmm for Jack Evans, just this constant high pitched,"JACK! JAAACK! JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!"
She sounds more annoying than that girl in the Impact Zone that you could hear doing the high pitched screaming at a lot of TNA shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

savinhill posted:

She sounds more annoying than that girl in the Impact Zone that you could hear doing the high pitched screaming at a lot of TNA shows.

That was Daffney.

Anyway, someone should poll indy people on whether Ian Rotten or Green Lantern Fan to go away forever more.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

That was Daffney.

Anyway, someone should poll indy people on whether Ian Rotten or Green Lantern Fan to go away forever more.

Loser leaves wrestling barbed wire, landmine, electric ropes, light tubes, chairs, tables, ladders and staplers match. Whoever loses, we all win.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Loser leaves wrestling barbed wire, landmine, electric ropes, light tubes, chairs, tables, ladders and staplers match. Whoever loses, we all win.

Special ref Joe Bailey. We know how he feels about Ian, and I can't see him being a fan of GLF.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Charisma posted:

Green Lantern Fan is an enormous douchebag who tries his very, very hardest to make sure he's the most important man on a show, including the wrestlers. He has a posse of ogres and trolls that accompany him to a show, which means he buys a lot of tickets. You will usually see him scalping tickets right outside the venue and yelling TICKETS!! I GOT TICKETS HERE!!!!!!!! before every show. He also times every match. The funniest instance of this is when (iirc) Samoa Joe beat Xavier for the title. GLF stands up and cheers for half a second, and then immediately checks his stopwatch to see how long the match was.

There's two GLF stories that pissed me off the most.

1. Double Feature in 2008 in New Jersey, the shows where they taped the final scene of The Wrestler. They're about to shoot the scene where Ram makes an emotional speech to the crowd. Darren Aronofsky comes out and asks the crowd very nicely to watch in silence, and to not make any noise.

So in the middle of the speech when Ram pauses for dramatic effect, GLF yells out WE LOVE YA RAM

2. Glory by Honor VI Night 1 in 2007 in Philadelphia. The first night of Misawa weekend. The main event is Misawa & KENTA vs. Morishima & Marufuji. The match goes on for awhile, but it doesn't feel like it had been. That is, until Misawa starts setting Morishima up for what looks like a big move on the top rope...and GLF, Timekeeper Extraordinaire, screams "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!!!!!!!!!" and they're forced to end the match with Morishima on top and everyone looking like an idiot because of that fat spergy gently caress.

never. ever. google "we love ya ram" in quotes.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

projecthalaxy posted:

Special ref Joe Bailey. We know how he feels about Ian, and I can't see him being a fan of GLF.

Lumberjacks consisting of Papa Briscoe and everyone who has ever worked in IWA:MS and as such, been stiffed on pay.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

That was Daffney.

Was Daffney ever in WWE after WCW was bought out? I think she could have done well in WWE back when they actually gave their Divas personalities as she managed to be entertaining in David Flair WCW segments and had the cute goth girl image.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What happened to Jack Evans? Is he still working in Mexico? Does he ever do any of the bigger US indies?

In Mexico. His match quality has dropped tremendously.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 28, 2011

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

savinhill posted:

Was Daffney ever in WWE after WCW was bought out? I think she could have done well in WWE back when they actually gave their Divas personalities as she managed to be entertaining in David Flair WCW segments and had the cute goth girl image.

She was signed to a developmental deal in 2003 and worked as a manager down in OVW for a few months until she was released. In one of Dave Lagana's podcasts, he's talking with Dave Prazak and Allison Danger and they get into the attractiveness of female wrestlers and such. Lagana gives an anecdote about how Vince pretty much has this one, narrow view of what constitutes an attractive woman and that since he didn't understand the whole goth thing at all he had no idea what people saw in Daffney.

Daffney actually retired for a few years right after she was released and if you believe any of the sleaze stuff, it was a combination of getting released by the WWE and CM Punk cheating on her (with Traci Brooks, I think is how the story goes) that lead to her retiring.

Suben fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 28, 2011

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

HulkaMatt posted:

I blame the fact that he works with Teddy Hart on a regular basis.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I blame the fact that he works with Teddy Hart on a regular basis.

Teddy hasn't been in AAA since December 2009 though.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wait, break dancing doesn't lend itself to good wrestling?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Suben posted:

She was signed to a developmental deal in 2003 and worked as a manager down in OVW for a few months until she was released. In one of Dave Lagana's podcasts, he's talking with Dave Prazak and Allison Danger and they get into the attractiveness of female wrestlers and such. Lagana gives an anecdote about how Vince pretty much has this one, narrow view of what constitutes an attractive woman and that since he didn't understand the whole goth thing at all he had no idea what people saw in Daffney.

This is one thing that pisses me off hugely. OK, wrestling, like a lot of entertainment is a lot about image. Fine. But WWE has this tiny, miniscule vision of what a star or a 'hot chick' looks like, so you end up with 20 skinny, bleach-blonde, fake-tanned tall white girls with fake D-cups, and you can't tell them apart without nametags.

Same thing with the guys, plus a great point that Meltzer went into recently. You hire a ton of 6 foot 8 bodybuilders, and the whole point is eventually lost, because they stop looking impressive when all your guys are that size. You need guys the size of a Chris Jericho and a Rey Mysterio, to make your Kanes and Big Shows look like giants and monsters. You need your Brodus Clays and Husky Harrises to make your Mizs and Morrisons look even more cut and pretty. It's about variety and contrast. If you're WWE Ice Cream and only sell mint chocolate chip, that's great if you like mint choc-chip ice cream, but you're losing business from the folk that like rocky road and strawberry and cookie dough and vanilla, and your product looks very one-dimensional.

Edit: Snippit from the F4W/Observer podcast with Larry Mollin. Jillian Hall was given the mole gimmick to cover for her being 'ugly', apparently.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 28, 2011

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Plus, Daffney has multiple tiny top hats. Which WWE Diva is occupying the tiny top hat niche: NONE OF THEM.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

HulkaMatt posted:

Teddy hasn't been in AAA since December 2009 though.

I still blame Teddy.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus, Daffney has multiple tiny top hats. Which WWE Diva is occupying the tiny top hat niche: NONE OF THEM.

Just think, she could've been managing Skip Sheffield as Team Tiny Hats.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Captain Charisma posted:

Did the dummy look like an Oscar the Grouch ripoff? I think that guy got himself banned from Chikara events, too.

Nah not that guy, this guy is a Toronto only guy as far as I know. He usually has blue hair, he's like 40 or 50, his stupid neon rear end always tries to walk up from whatever seat he bought to stand at the corners of the front row and try to get on camera. He runs a lighting company I think, something like that, the name is always on his back in lights but I never bothered to remember it because 1. I will never need a lighting guy and 2. I wouldn't want some idiot with blue hair I saw at a wrestling show with a pruppet

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The only fan I care about is the guy dressed in pink that shows up constantly on wwf shows. My friends and I idolized that man when we were kids, he was at like every ppv.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The only fan I care about is the guy dressed in pink that shows up constantly on wwf shows. My friends and I idolized that man when we were kids, he was at like every ppv.

Vladimir.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This dude should be in the Hall of Fame

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Suben posted:

Now open on Sundays.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
One of the Formerly Creative podcasts talked about how some of the ECW fans became recognizable personalities and visible figures at all their shows(and also how some of ECW's hardcore fans have become important figures in the modern wrestling community). Paul Heyman was genius in the way he used this to get the ECW brand more over than any of the wrestlers as he was always losing his top stars to WWF and WCW. Heyman seemed to encourage these recognizable personality-fans as it would make it look like ECW was an organization worth following because if you saw these same fans every time you watched ECW then they had to be super devoted to the product. Between this and the chants, I know it made me more interested at the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

savinhill posted:

One of the Formerly Creative podcasts talked about how some of the ECW fans became recognizable personalities and visible figures at all their shows(and also how some of ECW's hardcore fans have become important figures in the modern wrestling community). Paul Heyman was genius in the way he used this to get the ECW brand more over than any of the wrestlers as he was always losing his top stars to WWF and WCW. Heyman seemed to encourage these recognizable personality-fans as it would make it look like ECW was an organization worth following because if you saw these same fans every time you watched ECW then they had to be super devoted to the product. Between this and the chants, I know it made me more interested at the time.

It's the same problem as hardcore matches though - some fans look at stuff like the old ECW and decide that if they chant SUPER DRAGON for four minutes straight by themselves it'll make the crowd as great as the old ECW ones, just like yardtards see Mick Foley go through a table and can't understand why their FINAL GRUDGE MATCH WAR TO END ALL WARS (it's the second time they've had a "match") FLAMING WEEDWHACKER SUSPENDED OVER A POOL OF RUSTY USED NEEDLES-MANIA match-up isn't as well regarded.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Save Russian Jews posted:

never. ever. google "we love ya ram" in quotes.

I find your punctuation style improper to convey the message that you should never do this, as opposed to that the person before you was incorrect and that you should "Google 'we love ya ram' in quotes" for proof.

That could just be me.

But it helps that now I am disturbed by having done so.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It's the same problem as hardcore matches though - some fans look at stuff like the old ECW and decide that if they chant SUPER DRAGON for four minutes straight by themselves it'll make the crowd as great as the old ECW ones, just like yardtards see Mick Foley go through a table and can't understand why their FINAL GRUDGE MATCH WAR TO END ALL WARS (it's the second time they've had a "match") FLAMING WEEDWHACKER SUSPENDED OVER A POOL OF RUSTY USED NEEDLES-MANIA match-up isn't as well regarded.
Oh, I agree, the whole ECW hardcore-crowd atmosphere worked back then but would just be annoying and foolish nowadays. I just think it was interesting how Heyman took crowd behavior that could have been a negative and detrimental, and is viewed with disdain when engaged in nowadays, and actually turned it into one of the perceived strengths of his promotion.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
There's more than one ventriloquist indie wrestling dumbass superfan. That's cool, I guess.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

elf help book posted:

There's more than one ventriloquist indie wrestling dumbass superfan. That's cool, I guess.

One of those two dorks is just FURIOUS that someone is infringing on his gimmick.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

HulkaMatt posted:

Oh drat, what happened?

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
To be fair though, I remember enjoying a couple of his matches with Teddy Hart in AAA.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rarity posted:

Nope, I'm mocking me. I never noticed that until you said it.
Well then, I'm glad I'm not alone. I guess when you hear it as a name so consistently the pun just doesn't sink in.

The indie wrestling scene is more like the indie music scene then I could have ever dreamed, I should swap in my shaggy hair, heeled shoes, tight jeans, way ferers and various stripped shirts for some Nike's, tracksuit pants and an obscure wrestling shirt to be on the new wave of indie culture. :allears:

I retract my sympathy towards the Green Lantern Guy, to be honest I thought he may have just been a clueless fan with no self awareness. However, it sounds like this guy knows exactly what he's doing.

One the subject of wrestling fans who are bizarre and have a lack of social awareness I've heard that there's a guy who walks around a shopping mall in one of the outer suburbs of Melbourne regularly carrying a championship belt replica.

Edit: I think I used to work with that guy in the greengo videos long lost brother, they look identical.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 28, 2011

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
What are some cool examples of wrestlers using other people's moves, like when the Miz did the people's elbow, or Rock using the Stunner on Austin? In WWF No Mercy on Nintendo 64 I can't even tell you how many times I've had Taka Michinoku use the pedigree on HHH.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Monkeycheese posted:

What are some cool examples of wrestlers using other people's moves, like when the Miz did the people's elbow, or Rock using the Stunner on Austin? In WWF No Mercy on Nintendo 64 I can't even tell you how many times I've had Taka Michinoku use the pedigree on HHH.

This used to be part of WWE main event style in the early-aughts. Rock and Austin stole the Rock Bottom and Stunner in almost every big match they did, same with Angle and Austin. Jericho superkicked Michaels at WrestleMania 19. I'm sure there were lots of other examples.

Morrison was using Sweet Chin Music as the Nitro Blast a few years ago. I think it was supposed to lead to a program with Michaels but PLANS CHANGED as they tend to do.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Monkeycheese posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H6BIAVod9k

and the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddmiO4r1Nfs

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Suben posted:

I think we've found a way to bring Kurt Angle back to WWE:

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Monkeycheese posted:

I think Peak Opponent Finisher was a triple threat Undisputed title match in 2002 where Angle/Rock/Undertaker kept hitting each other with their opponent's finishers.

Eugene the retarded gimmick used to use the Stunner, Rock Bottom and his opponent's signature moves all the time. Road Dogg and Billy Gunn used the Pedigree and SCM in TNA during their stupid DX shoot feud. Hollywood Rock did a lot of his opponent's moves and taunts: it was awesome.

e: John Cena actually started doing the FU during a feud with Brock, whose finisher was a similar (better) move called the F5, a name which was itself a reference to the Tornado DDT.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 28, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kane stole basically Taker's entire arsenal of finishers, except for the ones he got after Kane's debut.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
The last instance of finisher theft I can recall in the WWE was Triple H hitting Orton with a punt at WrestleMania 25. Other than that it's been used much more sparingly in recent years.

That Angle/Rock/Taker triple threat from Vengeance 02 was loving ridiculous (in a good way) in terms of finisher theft. At one point in the match, Rock gets the Ankle Lock on Taker, only to get a Rock Bottom from Angle, who in turn gets an Angle Slam from Taker.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Vladimir.

This guy had a name? Awesome, who was he?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This guy had a name? Awesome, who was he?

Despite the urban legends that said he was the nephew of someone or that Vince felt guilty for him or whatever, he was just a fan that knew how to get good tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Managed to find a sports bar in NYC that will be showing Wrestlemania this Sunday while I'm visiting from the UK. Is there an etiquette for watching what is nothing more than homoerotic, masculine drama surrounded by socially awkward men dressing in nWo/DX shirts? Will the bar owners allow Rule Britannia to played over the PA system when I arrive?

No, seriously, looking forward to it, although I can only imagine the awkwardness of it all.