Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

So my place just starting selling Xooms. The sales guys, myself included (my job isn't even sales, I'm supposed to be a tech, but I have to do sales sometimes because we're so understaffed) did not get an ounce of training on the thing. We're supposed to sell it without having touched it or learned anything about it other than research on our own time.

I had to sell one to a customer, and I had to apologize as I literally didn't even know how to turn the thing on, much less showcase its features and set it up if he bought it. He ended up buying it anyway because he was a gizmo nerd and knew all about it anyway, but I'm sure I got lucky. It doesn't even occur to management that we should be trained to sell our new flagship tablet that we're expected to sell lots of.

Again, because we're understaffed, there isn't time to learn on the clock, and management hasn't provided any documentation, so we'll have to learn on our own time through display models or something I guess. I can't keep doing this for $9/hr, I've got to find something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I work at target and am in the same situation. No training, no documentation, nothing. The 3ds came out today and we have no demo unit and if it weren't for me printing out and notating the wiki article we would have nothing. It's hard to sell a $250 handheld who's big gimmick is a 3d screen when you can't show it to them.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Aculard posted:

Just because you're paid poorly by your employer doesn't mean you get to take it out on the customers. I'm saying this as someone who's married to a man who worked in a pizza store for over 3 years too.

You are paid less because the the country you are living in happens to be a tipping one. Everyone knows this. Even the people who tip like poo poo know this and yet choose to blame the employer (while still paying for his goods) and shafting the employee on wages that they assumed they would get based on the fact that coming into the job they know that tips were included.

Once again. Drivers are not paid poorly. They are paid less because it is upon the customer to make up the difference in exchange for the delivery service. This keeps prices lower for the walk in customers and everyone is happy. You can complain all you want about how it is not right but it is the unspoken way of doing business even though it is not spelt out for you in big letters on the menu. Every wonder why restaurants even have to print mandatory gratuities on the menus for some place along with delivery charges? For people like you who go against the grain and think they are right.

Way to gently caress over the employee who has no control over the situation and the tipping culture in this country. Don't want this to be a debate about tips but wanted to maybe show why the employee at the bottom is the one who gets shafted for no reason.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 28, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
In California you're paid minimum wage. In the midwest you're paid 2$/hr and your job is threatened if you don't make enough because then they have to pay you minimum wage.

I hated working for tips, especially as a waitress. People are pigs, inside and out.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

SpartanIV posted:

I work at target and am in the same situation. No training, no documentation, nothing. The 3ds came out today and we have no demo unit and if it weren't for me printing out and notating the wiki article we would have nothing. It's hard to sell a $250 handheld who's big gimmick is a 3d screen when you can't show it to them.

Our Kindle display lasted about 2 weeks, our old DS display before the Electronics revamp lasted about 6 months before the screen was a complete scratched mess. We've had a few PS3 controllers broke/stolen. Any DSLR displays have the lenses broke/stolen in like 2 weeks any the acutal cameras are just manhandled in a horrible way. Not a DSLR, but we had a Nikon break on the second day on display. Along with the fact that we haven't gotten in half of the cords to actually make the cameras work on display. What about display products attracts the worst in people.

I totally sold the first 3DS in the store at 8:30am, :smug: too bad I couldn't get a single attachment, which is rare for me. :smith:

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 28, 2011

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dodgeball posted:

Arlington

I value my life, health, and property too much to ever deliver in Arlington. Arlington and anything south of 30 in Dallas, those are the two areas with the most frequent driver muggings, attacks, and hijacking (this is the biggest criminal threat, that they'll take your loving car).

Aculard posted:

Just because you're paid poorly by your employer doesn't mean you get to take it out on the customers.

That's funny, I've done the job before and that's totally what it means. Seriously, if you're a good regular who happens to be short on cash one day, or a one-time order from a hotel, whatever. If I see your gut-wrenchingly horrid mutation of a face every week and you don't pay me, it's entirely possible that I personally might do more than shake up your sodas and toss your pizzas in the bed of my truck open when it's forty degrees out.

The General posted:

"I should get good tips because I'm good at my job." and not "I deserve good tips, otherwise I'm going out of my way to make sure your supper is hosed with in some way."

I don't work for loving free. If you think delivery people should work for loving free, you need to stop ordering. It's that simple, this is the way that it is. It's this way not because of delivery people, who are average joes scrambling to make a living, but because of what people in this particular country let our leaders get away with.

Also I was pretty good at my job, and I'm generally a pretty pleasant individual. It's just that this topic is very, very important because people who have never worked for tips (most likely everyone who disagrees with me on this one in general, if not in specific) just don't understand.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

LonsomeSon posted:

If I see your gut-wrenchingly horrid mutation of a face every week and you don't pay me, it's entirely possible that I personally might do more than shake up your sodas and toss your pizzas in the bed of my truck open when it's forty degrees out.

Also I was pretty good at my job, and I'm generally a pretty pleasant individual.

Yeah I really don't have anything else to say about this topic.

Spartan. how could they not even tell you guys anything about it? Is it really that hard for the managers to pull one out for display/employee testing before your shift to see what the basic features are? Or even read the back of the box? :psyduck:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

LonsomeSon posted:

I value my life, health, and property too much to ever deliver in Arlington. Arlington and anything south of 30 in Dallas, those are the two areas with the most frequent driver muggings, attacks, and hijacking (this is the biggest criminal threat, that they'll take your loving car).

I was north of 30. By about 3 miles. Granted, it wasn't much nicer.

...One of the many reasons why I moved.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Whenever I see signs advertising wages of '[minimum wage] + [drivers allowance per km] + tips = $20-30 per hour' for its delivery drivers, I complain to the management to take it down because it's misleading and placing the onus on the customers discretion. Last place I complained to said they wouldn't get anyone delivering for them if they didn't have that sign (and the conversation with them indicated they knew full well very few people tip). :eng99:

Here in Australia certain stores are trying to introduce tipping as a custom for food delivery. The drivers would probably have to go around wearing signs saying 'my boss does not pay me enough to make this job worth my while, please tip me' to actually get any tips since most unskilled labour is already paid minimum wage, and being expected to pay extra would beg the question of 'I paid the store, why should I pay you?'.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Aculard posted:

Yeah I really don't have anything else to say about this topic.

Spartan. how could they not even tell you guys anything about it? Is it really that hard for the managers to pull one out for display/employee testing before your shift to see what the basic features are? Or even read the back of the box? :psyduck:
I looked at the box but it doesn't give you more than a brief run down of the console and list the basic games it comes with. We really need a demo unit to sell these things to anyone other than the people who come to the store with their mind set on buying one.

Also, I learned from the commercial playing on the wall of TV's that Target has a trade in program going, and had to Google the details on my smart phone.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP MANAGEMENT

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
This is probably going to get me probated for sparking a flame war or something, but this needs to be said. And remember, I sympathise with the vast majority of you guys having worked retail myself.

I know I'm in the UK and things are different, but the US guys defending loving with someone's dinner (and those of you here who actually do that) are way out of line. You don't deserve tips simply for doing your job description. You just don't. The culture may be that people should tip but the reality is that people often don't, and if you went into the job basing your assumed earnings on what should happen rather than what really does happen then sorry, you were naive. If your employer led you to believe that you'd earn more than you really do them that's on your employer, not your customers. The fact that your employer is a tight gently caress and you don't like the way your job worked out does not give you the right to do what you do - show some loving professionalism because you sure as hell aren't going to last long in another job behaving that way.

LonsomeSon posted:

That's funny, I've done the job before and that's totally what it means. Seriously, if you're a good regular who happens to be short on cash one day, or a one-time order from a hotel, whatever. If I see your gut-wrenchingly horrid mutation of a face every week and you don't pay me, it's entirely possible that I personally might do more than shake up your sodas and toss your pizzas in the bed of my truck open when it's forty degrees out.
You should not be doing this job. Period.

LonsomeSon posted:

I don't work for loving free. If you think delivery people should work for loving free, you need to stop ordering. It's that simple, this is the way that it is.
This is on your employer for not paying you properly, not your customers.

LonsomeSon posted:

It's this way not because of delivery people, who are average joes scrambling to make a living, but because of what people in this particular country let our leaders get away with.
This is on your government, not your customers.

LonsomeSon posted:

Also I was pretty good at my job, and I'm generally a pretty pleasant individual.
No you weren't, and by the sounds of it no you're not. You took out your grievances about a broken system on your customers, and from the "...I personally might do more than..." comment it sounds like you probably hosed with food hygiene too. To be honest you sound like (and certainly behaved like) an angry teenager, by which I mean that while the anger is justified to some extent you dealt with that anger entirely inappropriately.

LonsomeSon posted:

It's just that this topic is very, very important because people who have never worked for tips (most likely everyone who disagrees with me on this one in general, if not in specific) just don't understand.
I'm pretty sure they do, it's a very simple concept. The wage isn't enough without tips, we know. It's not your fault, we know. But guess what? It's not the fault of the paying customer either. At the end of the day the price quoted is the price quoted, and by the law of the great land of America the price quoted is all that needs to be paid.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 28, 2011

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The question is, do they know that tipping is generally customary for your services? Even if they do, unless they literally spit on you or called you something nasty, you can't really justify messing with the food. All it really does is propagate an impression to people that retail/food service people are naturally aggressive; that's definitely what they're going to be telling to everyone they know.

It's like a few pages ago, when I heard some girl in a TF2 server whining because someone "dared" to bother her while she was on break, despite there being no indication of the fact and them not really doing anything wrong. It's a vicious cycle mostly started by dumb-poo poo corporate policies, but it just isn't right to reflect the attitude back at the general customer unless they're intentionally being assholes.

SpartanIV posted:

I looked at the box but it doesn't give you more than a brief run down of the console and list the basic games it comes with. We really need a demo unit to sell these things to anyone other than the people who come to the store with their mind set on buying one.

Also, I learned from the commercial playing on the wall of TV's that Target has a trade in program going, and had to Google the details on my smart phone.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP MANAGEMENT

As much as I can't stand Best Buy for being so goddamn stingy about straying from MSRP and never price-matching anywhere close to Amazon, at least they bother putting out demo stands/units of the stuff they sell. How am I supposed to know how well the 3DS works unless I get to try it out? To the average uninformed consumer, it could just as easily be one of those seen-on-TV "WOW YOU CAN PLAY PC GAMES ON YOUR TV FOR ONLY $50"-types of things.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This tipping derail will be as productive as every other tipping derail ever. It doesn't matter who the gently caress is wrong or right. Let's nip this in the bud before it drags on for 50 pages, please.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

As much as I can't stand Best Buy for being so goddamn stingy about straying from MSRP and never price-matching anywhere close to Amazon, at least they bother putting out demo stands/units of the stuff they sell. How am I supposed to know how well the 3DS works unless I get to try it out? To the average uninformed consumer, it could just as easily be one of those seen-on-TV "WOW YOU CAN PLAY PC GAMES ON YOUR TV FOR ONLY $50"-types of things.

You do realize that brick and mortar literally cannot price match online and stay in business right?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

The General posted:

You do realize that brick and mortar literally cannot price match online and stay in business right?

Well, I know that they don't really need to considering they still have a large market, I'm just saying I don't like how infrequently they ever bother to put up compelling deals/sales. When I went out on Black Friday, even Wal-Mart had better deals on virtually everything than they did.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
Attention manufacturers: bump test your goddamn packaging! If your terrible clamshell monstrosity leans over at a 10 degree angle and topples over at a slight breeze I hate you forever :argh:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Well I don't mean to say this to offend anyone, but I've noticed a generally unpleasant attitude and sometimes downright sociopathic behavior from a good portion of the regular posters here. Not just this recent derail either, but basically all the time. Maybe that's why some of you are stuck in retail?

quote:

All it really does is propagate an impression to people that retail/food service people are naturally aggressive; that's definitely what they're going to be telling to everyone they know.
Basically this, but in a more broad sense.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zo posted:

Well I don't mean to say this to offend anyone, but I've noticed a generally unpleasant attitude and sometimes downright sociopathic behavior from a good portion of the regular posters here. Not just this recent derail either, but basically all the time. Maybe that's why some of you are stuck in retail?

No, that's just retail. I was like that when I burger flipped in my teens too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's not the share happy stories about working at Walmart thread. What do you expect?

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw
How about a heart warming delivery story, back when I was delivering pizzas in college I had a few regulars on my route that asked for my by name. I think the wise customer knows that by tipping well they can get whatever they want from a reliable driver. My favorite customer lived on the very border of our delivery range, technically over it, he called up one night asked to speak with the driver on duty. His request, "Can you please pick me up a bottle of Peligrino and makers mark, I'll pay you for it and the pizza."

Putting my faith in humanity, I obliged, He payed for the small sausage pizza, the cost of my special beverage run and gave me 20 bucks. He now had my name, and knew his order, every time he called he just told me his name, and I knew what to do.

The point is that good service should be rewarded, and lovely service with a bad attitude not so much.

Plus I shared all my windfall with the cooks who mysteriously always had my pizzas ready on time, or early, and would cover for me if the owner was around and I took a long break. We were supposed to tip them 5%, I did my best for 20%. One new years I cleared $250 in tips, the cooks each made $75 that night from me.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Zo posted:

Thinking that forced-optimism in life somehow makes you more successful is one of the biggest misconceptions in this country today. It's difficult to stay positive when your job seems to constantly stomp on your toes, and with no apparent way out. Not all of us are that guy from Waiting, I mean gently caress, look at TShields and all of his posts.

If someone's a dick to me at work, the only thing I can really do is just whatever they want me to and hope they'll go away soon enough (sadly not the case with my coworkers). I relish what few people around me bother to be nice and grateful for the work I do.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Zo posted:

Retail does that to you. Day 1 you are this bright chipper person really wanting to help people buy things. Go company go customers yay! And then you realize how backwards half of the stores policies are. And that it only takes one child throwing a tantrum to set you back hours on stocking/cleaning the shelves. And that most customers will flat out lie to you and managerial staff to get their way. And then having the news reports on saving a buck pretty much say, "poo poo on all retail workers, you'll get a good deal and they get fired. They're just lazy shits who need to bootstrap themselves up to a successful career."

Day 791 leaves you a bitter, shell of a employee who works exactly as hard as he needs to since working faster just gets you more work for no reward. Working for any sort of time leaves those images of making GBS threads in people's mailboxes or doorsteps because they treated you like poo poo so hey, eye for an eye mother fucker.

I seriously work hard, put on that bullshit smiling veneer and get nowhere. Just one more class, that's all I keep telling myself, one more class.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

The wine bar I used to work in had a policy of piling all tips into a jar, which would then be donated to a nominated charity for the month. If you were caught pocketing the tips, that was your job on the line. That said, if a customer took the time to tell a manager about how good the quality of service was, we would be given a little something from management. With that structure, I made much less than there than I did when working the bar at a grotty night club in town while at University, but I felt much more appreciated for my work when management would slip me some extra money for doing well that day, and knowing the tips I amassed throughout the day were going to a charity made the job better.

Tips aren't everything and if you're loving with people's orders because you aren't getting a little extra for smiling/drawing happy faces on napkins/being the fastest barman in the world, then you should find different work such as data entry. It's just as soul crushing, only without the hassle of having to be social (oh how bothersome that can be!) and slightly better pay. Plus you can't be fired and prosecuted for failing to meet basic hygiene standards purely out of spite.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

greazeball posted:

It's not the share happy stories about working at Walmart thread. What do you expect?

I envision ZO posting that and his monacle falling off into his wine glass as he expresses his surprise that people forced to deal with the dregs of society 40 hours a week can harbor grudges. OH MY /faints

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
To whoever bought Zo the custom title: you realize you're kind of propagating his statement, right?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Haha yessss

Of course I probably make at least triple whoever bought me the title so I can change it anytime, but I think I'll stick with it for a while :)

miscellaneous14 posted:

Thinking that forced-optimism in life somehow makes you more successful is one of the biggest misconceptions in this country today. It's difficult to stay positive when your job seems to constantly stomp on your toes, and with no apparent way out. Not all of us are that guy from Waiting, I mean gently caress, look at TShields and all of his posts.

If someone's a dick to me at work, the only thing I can really do is just whatever they want me to and hope they'll go away soon enough (sadly not the case with my coworkers). I relish what few people around me bother to be nice and grateful for the work I do.

I didn't mean to be chipper at work, who cares about that, but many people in this thread seem to be disturbed even outside of work (well, then there's the literal psychopath who fucks with people). I mean, that's gotta tank your job aspects somewhat! Fewer friends to get leads from, way less attractive in interviews, so on and so on.

Zo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 28, 2011

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
When I first got into technical support at the call center, I was bright eyed and eager to help! Sure, the lunch and break policies baffled me but it was ok!

Six months later, I began to dread when the phone would ring. What racist/misogynist/fun times lie ahead? Guy who threatened my life? Lazy douchebag wanting free internet? Disgruntled and confused old person who wonders what the hell a giiiiiiiiiiiiiirl is doing anywhere near technology? Woman who refuses to speak to female techs? Yeah. It started to kill me. THe company's policies were: Customers are liars, take the abuse and your supervisor will pretty much avoid having anything to do with you or the customer. Awesome. Oh, and they sold lovely service with even worse equipment. Fun. Also, Customer Service is literally staffed by weasels and trolls.

At the end of the first year, I was getting sick constantly. Some days I could barely wake up and debated chugging draino just to get a drat day off. Our punishment for being late more than once in awhile was an extra shift on the weekend. That's just the start. I was angry more, I ranted all the time, I was depressed, refused to go out and it was just eating me alive. I hated hearing the word metrics. I was one of the few who bothered trying to fix things, so my time suffered. Meanwhile the guy hanging up on people/putting them on hold till they went away or punted the call has the best call times and gets a free groceries card. Fantastic.

A few months after my one year anniversary of dealing with people demanding impossible things, abusing me because they *can* and it makes them feel better, lazy and apathetic if not outright scammy companies, and genuinely sad cases of people being screwed amongst it all... I quit. Delivered my two week's notice, got snubbed by my team manager for those two weeks and soon I was free. Gloriously, gloriously free. Free of being abused for 9 dollars an hour.

I understand people being angry. But it really isn't too hard to be kind, provide a reasonable tip or even just not take it out on the poor bastard working for a company he has little to no power in. They either dump tons upon tons of hours upon you, or keep you just under full time so you can't get benefits. Usually, their insurance is not worth it and you do not get paid time off or sick days. This is why most of us are so burned out and tend to ignore people being rude to us. If you're nice to me, I'll find a way to get you some credited time - whatever. If you're rude, I'm going to do the bare minimum until you go away or stop being an rear end in a top hat. How can you treat another human being this way? We're forced to smile and listen, even as they tell us on Christmas eve we should go die of AIDS or they wished that guy who crashed a plane into the IRS building got us instead.

That's not even starting with the lazy assholes who are your co-workers. In my case, I dealt with Phone Punting Miguel, Furious Skank, Pedobear and other fun, braindead assholes.

Edit: Oh and while smiling through all of that, you get to deal with 'Well, if you didn't want to be treated this way, why do you work retail?' The answer is: It's a pain in the rear end to get hired elsewhere a lot of the time and it's a crapshoot until you get lucky. I hate it when people say if you do not want to do this work, go get a better job - as if it was just easy like picking a fruit. Sucks to be a recent graduate from college among other things. If I could have, I would have never gone to work at the call center. I sent out more than 70+ resumes (Even having it edited and so on).

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 28, 2011

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Zo posted:

I didn't mean to be chipper at work, who cares about that, but many people in this thread seem to be disturbed even outside of work (well, then there's the literal psychopath who fucks with people). I mean, that's gotta tank your job aspects somewhat! Fewer friends to get leads from, way less attractive in interviews, so on and so on.

You're assuming that all of us act lovely outside of work and ruin our own job prospects? Seriously? I think you need to go watch Barbara Ehrenreich's "Smile or Die" before you say anything else at this point.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

miscellaneous14 posted:

You're assuming that all of us act lovely outside of work and ruin our own job prospects? Seriously? I think you need to go watch Barbara Ehrenreich's "Smile or Die" before you say anything else at this point.

You should read more carefully. I never said all of you or even most of you. I'm not talking about positive thinking either.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Yeah, I was pretty drat happy to be outside of work and/or being dangled a chance to get into another job. I mean, look at TShields. We're all rooting for him to get something better. We -all- want something better, but the economy's in the shitter - so good luck, network up and polish that resume until it sparkles then pray.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Zo posted:

You should read more carefully. I never said all of you or even most of you. I'm not talking about positive thinking either.

You're not making any friends here, regardless of how much you insist we're misunderstanding you. You've wandered into this thread, a thread for people to vent their frustrations with their retail jobs, and said "My, you people are so unpleasant! No wonder you can't get better jobs!"

Good luck backing out of that hole.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
What hole? That's pretty much the jist of what I was getting at - just not to everybody.

Also this is still a thread on SA, so anyone can comment if they want. If you want a secret club for just retail employees to bitch at there are probably other websites to do it :)

I mean if moana tells me to get out that's fine, but I'm not even trolling here, it's what I actually think!

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Zo posted:

Of course I probably make at least triple whoever bought me the title so I can change it anytime, but I think I'll stick with it for a while :)

See, I don't like this type of attitude either. "I have more money therefore I'm going to act like a dick poo poo and brag about MONEY!!!!" loving with people's food/service over an issue regarding your employer/local laws is stupid, even if you were making 30$ an hour + tips. There's no need to have that type of lovely attitude.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Zo posted:

What hole? That's pretty much the jist of what I was getting at - just not to everybody.

Also this is still a thread on SA, so anyone can comment if they want. If you want a secret club for just retail employees to bitch at there are probably other websites to do it :)

I mean if moana tells me to get out that's fine, but I'm not even trolling here, it's what I actually think!

We're not looking for a secret club. We're looking for a place to talk with other retail employees about the soul-crushing jobs were stuck in.

Do you think anyone in retail wants to be there? Do you think these people want to be stuck in these horrible jobs with these lovely customers? If you honestly think that you're an idiot. But it's not as simple as finding another job. Just look at TShields and how much trouble he's having finding another line of work.

The only reason I don't work in retail anymore is because I lucked out and don't need to work to pay through college. And I'm thankful each and every day that I don't have to go back, because the job was just that bad. I have health issues relating to anxiety that have been made worse due to my employment in retail.

I'm sorry that I'm not really contributing anything more to this but you're just so entitled it pisses me off. And if you were just trolling I could write you off. But you actually honestly think this. Well I'm happy for you that you never had to work in a lovely job like other people in this thread. I'm happy that you never had to deal with the worst of the average person on a daily basis. I'm happy that you didn't have to jump through hoops for some big wig. And I hope you appreciate just how easy you have it. I really do. Because I'd hate for you to have to work the job I used to work.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
If you didn't mean to offend anybody like you said in your original post, you probably would not have wandered into a thread entitled "Reasons I No Longer Desire to Work in Retail" to complain about people's negativity, in a thread explicitly for complaining, and then extrapolate people's bitching about things they find particularly frustrating into their attitudes and behavior about life in general.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
See, Zo, you're now no better than the guy who goes to a party, promptly offends everyone to the point they make it clear they'd like him to leave, only he sticks around because the host hasn't explicitly asked him to gently caress off. So he hangs around, all smug because he thinks he's so much better than everyone else there, and that they "just don't get him", despite the fact that everyone thinks he's a massive prick and wishes he'd just go away. And that's really, really lame.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Guys, how about we stop talking to and about the guy?

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

Robzor McFabulous posted:

See, Zo, you're now no better than the guy who goes to a party, promptly offends everyone to the point they make it clear they'd like him to leave, only he sticks around because the host hasn't explicitly asked him to gently caress off. So he hangs around, all smug because he thinks he's so much better than everyone else there, and that they "just don't get him", despite the fact that everyone thinks he's a massive prick and wishes he'd just go away. And that's really, really lame.

He also only went to that party because rolling around on his giant piles of money was getting boring and he wanted to go slummin'.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Aculard posted:

See, I don't like this type of attitude either. "I have more money therefore I'm going to act like a dick poo poo and brag about MONEY!!!!" loving with people's food/service over an issue regarding your employer/local laws is stupid, even if you were making 30$ an hour + tips. There's no need to have that type of lovely attitude.

I think he was making a joke there, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Weatherman posted:

I think he was making a joke there, dude.
I, like most of this thread's contributors, have heard people make that comment too many times to assume it was a joke.