Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Anyone have some awesome stealth games and driving games on the PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Brian Fellows posted:

All the recent talk I've been seeing about Alpha Protocol has made me wonder if there's anything like it out there I can play. Any suggestions?

I have a PC, PS3, and the Nintendo systems.

Well, since you have a PC... you could play Alpha Protocol.

It's 5 bucks on D2D this weekend with the code MARCHMADNESS, so... might as well.

http://www.direct2drive.com/8420/product/Buy-Alpha-Protocol-Download

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

I'm looking for basically a mindless dungeon diving game. Online would be great, but SP is fine. Dungeon Runners was the perfect game until it closed shop :(

edit: Played Torchlight and diablo 2

Rockefeller fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 27, 2011

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rockefeller posted:

I'm looking for basically a mindless dungeon diving game. Online would be great, but SP is fine. Dungeon Runners was the perfect game until it closed shop :(

Titan's Quest is available for the PC. It's basically a diablo clone using ancient greek/roman mythology with a I think a bit of egyptian thrown in for good measure.

Deathspank is another. Doesn't take itself seriously, and is basically "The Tick fights evil medieval monsters" with quests and what not.

TQ will last longer, but Deathspank has more charm.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
Can anyone recommend me a game that's plot/atmosphere driven? Preferably something that's somewhat of a hidden gem on Steam, indie game or not.

By plot/atmosphere driven, I mean slightly deemphasizing combat in favor of having a strong story and strong characters as the draw, or having a gripping, somewhat dark atmosphere like Limbo or Amnesia.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Nombres posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that's plot/atmosphere driven? Preferably something that's somewhat of a hidden gem on Steam, indie game or not.

By plot/atmosphere driven, I mean slightly deemphasizing combat in favor of having a strong story and strong characters as the draw, or having a gripping, somewhat dark atmosphere like Limbo or Amnesia.

This one's a deep cut, you've probably never heard of it, but Planescape: Torment fits the bill.

Story and characters though, you might want to just read a book or something. Unless your standards are really low, your options are pretty limited.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Shovelmint posted:

This one's a deep cut, you've probably never heard of it, but Planescape: Torment fits the bill.

Story and characters though, you might want to just read a book or something. Unless your standards are really low, your options are pretty limited.

Ouch, that hurts. It's like asking a goon if he's ever heard of Deus Ex, I'm pretty sure I'd be perma'd for not hearing about it. :(

As for the story/characters, I'm not necessarily looking for Dostoevsky or a great character study or something. Just decently solid character development and plot.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Henron posted:

Stealth:

Hitman: Blood Money
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Thief 1, 2, Deadly Shadows
Deus Ex

and maybe if you're pushing it, Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Nombres posted:

Ouch, that hurts. It's like asking a goon if he's ever heard of Deus Ex, I'm pretty sure I'd be perma'd for not hearing about it. :(

As for the story/characters, I'm not necessarily looking for Dostoevsky or a great character study or something. Just decently solid character development and plot.

You're going to have the most luck with pure adventure games, which won't do much for you unless you're okay with doing away with all the combat and action gameplay. Recent notable games in the genre include Gray Matter and Darkstar.

On the scarier side of things, and Scratches and the Dark Fall series are supposed to be really good.

If you want likable characters in a fun comedy/mystery plot, try the Broken Sword series—the first two are especially great.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

CaptainPsyko posted:

Well, since you have a PC... you could play Alpha Protocol.

It's 5 bucks on D2D this weekend with the code MARCHMADNESS, so... might as well.

Uh, let me rephrase. I played and loved Alpha Protocol. Is there anything out there that would scratch the same itch?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Henron posted:

Define awesome driving games. Realistic or arcade?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Nombres posted:

Check out Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines if you haven't. Amazing characters and atmosphere, and the story ain't half bad neither. It's remarkable just how much the characters act for a game so old.

It's relatively cheap on Steam these days. Just be sure to get the Community patch. There's a thread here in the Games forum that's in the first few pages that's a must read if you intend to play it. Don't bother with the Camarilla mod on your first run though. Just the patch.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
VtM: Bloodlines is in my own personal top 5 of all time, no other game I've played has ever reached that level of immersion in terms of character and story. If you like Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex, you will love it.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Blackula69 posted:

VtM: Bloodlines is in my own personal top 5 of all time, no other game I've played has ever reached that level of immersion in terms of character and story. If you like Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex, you will love it.

All I remember is that one mission in the Mansion being awesome. Plus slutting it up was very effective.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Define awesome driving games. Realistic or arcade?

Arcade. Realism isn't a negative but I'm definitely more into arcade.

Plague Dynasty
Aug 20, 2006

find revelations in life
find satisfaction in death
My apologies if it has been mentioned before but I whole-heartily recommend 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream'. Very gritty adventure title that is extremely dark in it's stories. It has good voice acting and each character's stories are compelling and the payoff at the end if you do everything right is worth it. It touches on quite a few areas that games usually stray far away from like torture, rape and genocide. One of the scenarios has you playing as a Nazi doctor who worked and performed experiments on living subjects under Dr. Mengele. I'm not exactly sure where to get the game but I know ScummVM supports it now so its extremely playable on any system.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Henron posted:

Arcade. Realism isn't a negative but I'm definitely more into arcade.

Then I'd suggest NFS: Most Wanted, the last good Need for Speed game about tricking out your car and powersliding around a city with cops on your tail. I've also heard only good things about the new NFS: Hot pursuit, which is more about racing stock cars on the open road. This time you get to play as a cop, too. There is normal racing without cops to be had in both games.

Burnout Paradise was made by the people who made NFS: Hot Pursuit. Again, open city but with fantasy cars jumping, crashing and blowing up.

Flatout 2 is a bit old but I've had a lot of fun with it. Emphasis here is also on crashing and hitting a million different physics objects. Closed tracks. Flatout Carnage is an updated version of 2, I think.

The Trackmania games are made for multiplayer. They're inspired by the oldie Stunts and thus let's you construct your own tracks with bits and pieces (such as loops, ramps, tunnels, etc.) with various themes and race against the times set by others or in real-time. TM United is the latest iteration I think. TM Nations is free but contains only one of the themes and one of the cars present in United.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
After reading through the "Name that game from the screenshot!" thread, I'm suddenly in the mood for some old-school dungeon crawlers for PC (preferably first-person). Ones with preferably a not-lovely interface. I already know about the Ultima Underworld, Might & Magic, and Wizardry series of course, so just lay on any suggestions you have.

I prefer smooth-scrolling turns and not-turn based battle, but I'll give anything a shot.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 28, 2011

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
What are some good action games? I have a PS2/360/PSP/DS and I'm just sitting here replaying through DMC3 for the 50th time and I want something new. Something with an in depth system that really lets me change the way I want to play. I mean I know I wont get anything better than DMC3 most likely but along those lines would be cool. I've played most of the well known ones like Bayonetta, DMC1-4, Chaos Legion, ect.. But I may have overlooked some.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

gotly posted:

Looking for a new game. I was interested in MvC3 but it's far too much Anime for my tastes. My living room is an anime-free zone.

PS3 only

Trying to decide between the following: No FPS games, please.
* Castlevania - Demo was OK, it's no GoW III :smug:
* Red Dead Redemption - Love free roaming games, not too hot on Rockstar's recent stuff -
* Scott Pilgrim - Heard it was buggy
* Fallout: New Vegas - Didn't like the first one but heard this was much better. Don't really have the patience for RPGs these days.
* Re-buy Super Street Fighter IV and learn myself a proper fighting game.
* Wait for Mortal Kombat 2011 - I'll be buying this anyway who am I kidding.

For shits and giggles I pulled every game I've ever played off my PS3 from PSN trophies. Some of these got returned to gamefly immediately but most were beaten. So, if it's in this list, don't recommended it. If there's something obviously missing, let me know!

code:
Red Faction: Guerrilla
[PROTOTYPE]™
3D DOT GAME HEROES
Assassin's Creed II™
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Borderlands™
Darksiders
Demon's Souls
Dragon Age: Origins
Flower
GHOSTBUSTERS™: The Video Game
God of War® Collection
God of War® III
GTA IV
HEAVY RAIN™
inFamous
Just Cause 2
Katamari Forever
Killzone 2
LittleBigPlanet™
LittleBigPlanet™2
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 
Matt Hazard: Blood, Bath and Beyond
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Modern Warfare® 2
ModNation™ Racers
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
PixelJunk™ Monsters and Encore
Red Dead Redemption
RESIDENT EVIL 5
Resistance 2™
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves™
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Warhawk

Finished RDR. Fun, but the "herding cows" minigame got old quickly. Bought the Undead Nightmare DLC and it's almost better than the base game. I guess I'm easy to please. Should I buy Dead Rising 2?

SSF4 and Scott Pilgrim are really fun with other people but I'm looking for a good single player game for when I'm by my lonesome. Above is my updated trophy list, so anything that's not a FPS and not on the above.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Rockefeller posted:

Speaking as someone who loved Dungeon Runners: Darkspore is great.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Nombres posted:

I don't think this is what you're looking for, but you might want to give Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time a try. It's not a story with a little bit of action, but more the opposite: an action game with a really competent story. It has some of the most natural dialogue I've heard in an action game, likeable characters, it's emotionally involving, and uses a really neat narrative trick at the end. That, and it's like watching a story from 1001 Nights come to life on your screen. Highly recommended (just watch out for the sequels)

Prosaic
May 20, 2010
Any suggestions for a science fiction-y RPG? I was reading that open world FPS/RPG thread and I'm planning on trying out the Precursors, but more suggestions are welcome. Something like KOTOR, maybe. Actually, doesn't even have to be science fiction as long as it's got a lot of depth.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Prosaic posted:

Any suggestions for a science fiction-y RPG?

Open world?

Fallout 3
New Vegas

Non-open world?

Mass Effect 1 + 2
Deus Ex

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Plague Dynasty posted:

My apologies if it has been mentioned before but I whole-heartily recommend 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream'. Very gritty adventure title that is extremely dark in it's stories. It has good voice acting and each character's stories are compelling and the payoff at the end if you do everything right is worth it. It touches on quite a few areas that games usually stray far away from like torture, rape and genocide. One of the scenarios has you playing as a Nazi doctor who worked and performed experiments on living subjects under Dr. Mengele. I'm not exactly sure where to get the game but I know ScummVM supports it now so its extremely playable on any system.

Seconding this, with a caveat that the game will make you feel miserable

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Open world?

Fallout 3
New Vegas

Non-open world?

Mass Effect 1 + 2
Deus Ex

Played all of those already, but they're good examples of what I'm looking for.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
At my company we're looking for a turn based game involving combat that we can play during lunch over multiple days with many people. We'd prefer if the turns didn't have to take too long so that we weren't waiting for other people to go since we're going to be playing for a set amount of time each day and we want to see progress.

Also, I think it would be best if we play a game where we interact with eachother for most of the play experience. I remember some of the guys here playing some turn based RPG a while back where they had to find eachother on a map with fog of war and they didn't even know what was happening in the rest of the game unless they physically asked one another.

Anyone have any suggestions?

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Prosaic posted:

Any suggestions for a science fiction-y RPG? I was reading that open world FPS/RPG thread and I'm planning on trying out the Precursors, but more suggestions are welcome. Something like KOTOR, maybe. Actually, doesn't even have to be science fiction as long as it's got a lot of depth.

If you can put up with JRPG-ish combat and blocky Quake 2 engine graphics, Anachronox is an underappreciated gem.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Superrodan posted:

At my company we're looking for a turn based game involving combat that we can play during lunch over multiple days with many people.

From your description it sounds like you want a turn based strategy game, of which there could be plenty of good games to choose from - but the 'interacting with other players' makes me think otherwise. Although if you're going to be doing network games with alliances then you'd have to do that.

TBS wise I'd go for Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Games can last for as long as you want, the map generation is pretty much second to none in terms of TBS (three levels? absolutely huge terrain size and variation?) and you can create your own customised wizards and armies/bases.

Turn based game involving combat, not an isometric strategy game.. I'd go for Freedom Force vs The Third Reich (the first game is more deathmatch centric - still good but limited).

Maybe Neverwinter Nights but I'm not an expert on that.

Prosaic posted:

Played all of those already, but they're good examples of what I'm looking for.

If you've played all of those then you've probably played Morrowind too. But that's always the daddy for me as far as open world RPGs go. Not sci-fi, obviously.

Hmm... what about an oldie but a goodie, Dune? It's a weird combination of an adventure game with RPG elements, which opens out into a strategy/RTS which effects the RPG and vice-versa. The best thing about it is how it doesn't feel on rails like most adventure games of that era. You can get sucked into it. Based mostly on the novel but for some reason it also has FMVs (yes, it's that era) from the Lynch film.

I played it maybe ten years ago and it still held up really well.

The sequel is not in the same style but is basically better remembered because it's the father of all RTS games (although in that case, Dune is the godfather).

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 1, 2011

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

edit: sorry, double.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Superrodan posted:

At my company we're looking for a turn based game involving combat that we can play during lunch over multiple days with many people. We'd prefer if the turns didn't have to take too long so that we weren't waiting for other people to go since we're going to be playing for a set amount of time each day and we want to see progress.

Also, I think it would be best if we play a game where we interact with eachother for most of the play experience. I remember some of the guys here playing some turn based RPG a while back where they had to find eachother on a map with fog of war and they didn't even know what was happening in the rest of the game unless they physically asked one another.

You want Worms.

Whichever variant works on whatever platforms you have availiable.

The answer is Worms.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I was given Black & White 2 a really long time ago as a gift but couldn't really get into it because my computer at the time was made of rocks and ran the game like poo poo. Now that I have a machine capable of running it at max settings, I've been giving it another go and I love it. I've spent the last few days marathoning the game and just now finished the last map (pacifist ultra nice god with a giant fat rear end golden cow named Moodha that spends its days eating its weight in hay and entertaining the citizens with impromptu dance sessions, in case you were wondering), but I'm still jonesing for something with a similar pet sim/lite RTS/city building/god game feel. Besides the first Black & White, is there anything out there with a similar play style?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Superrodan posted:

Vantage Master 2 is good fun and free.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Prosaic posted:

I'd recommend Planet's Edge and definitely Starflight.

Older titles but both have wide-open worlds and great gameplay.

Edit: Also adding System Shock and its sequel, which are both stellar games. And for a nice challenging old-school RPG experience, Wizardry 8.

Jive One fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 3, 2011

jvempire
May 10, 2009
What's a good play by email, or something similar to that, strategy game? People were talking about it in the Civilization's thread and it really sparked my interest.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Dominions 3? A bit of a beast with a definite learning curve but incredibly rewarding once you hack into the depth of it all. There's a (extremely large!) thread here on SA and numerous excellent LPs. Features play by email and network/internet games of various forms.

Jive One posted:

I'd recommend Planet's Edge and definitely Starflight.

Or perhaps the newer and in-development Prospector which is directly inspired by the latter (amongst other games). Hell, it even has tiles now!

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

How about Fahrenheit, the previous game by those pretentious Frenchies over at Quantic Dream? It rules, the last 3rd makes no sense, and there are legit boobs. Get the director's cut for PC, it's available lots of places including D2D. The beginning of the game is amazing, at least.

How do you play this if you have a 360 controller? fuuuck i don't want to use a mouse and keyboard.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Xpadder is the goto application of choice, I believe.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
You can pick up one of those Logitech PS2 ones for cheap, or an actual PS2 one. For Fahrenheit, a Sixaxis is literally the only option.

e: To explain: there are a ton of QTEs in the game that involve using both sticks in a rhythmic pattern, almost like you're playing guitar hero or something. It feels really natural to do that when you have two identical joystick in identical places, but I can imagine that doing it on a 360 controller - which I actually feel is superior for every other game - would be an exercise in frustration.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Prosaic posted:

Space Rangers 2 (aka just Space Rangers), obviously. It's not an RPG with any memorable characters and such per se, but it has a ridiculous amount of depth.