Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I have a few questions about God in the WOD.

So God cursed Cain and created Vampires, but what influence does God have on the world now? Does he hate Vampires? Does he do anything to get rid of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

PoPcornTG posted:

So God cursed Cain and created Vampires, but what influence does God have on the world now? Does he hate Vampires? Does he do anything to get rid of them?

I think i saw something somewhere that hes moved on or some such.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Vicissitude posted:

Smiling Jack is THE Anarch of the whole Anarch movement. Sadly, not much is known about him (or even her). It's even theorized that it's not one person, or even that when "Jack" dies, another Anarch takes up the title.

Okay, that's the official Camarilla stance. Let's cut the elder bullshit and get down to the nitty-gritty, 'kay?

Jack was a pirate in the Caribbean back in the 1650s. He tells people he was a captain, but never actually made it past second mate. He was noted for his wild temper, but fierce loyalty to his shipmates and exceptional skill in a fight. By the time he'd reached 40, he had enough money to retire to Barbados, where he immediately got in trouble with the local Don by beating the poo poo out of the man's son. While on the run, he was found (drunk) by the Anarch Brujah Mama Lion, who offered him an eternity to fight against the Dons.

This move brought him in contention with the Don-backing Ventrue and his vocal outbursts made him a rallying point for young Anarchs. He was constantly railing against Camarilla institutions of all stripes, from elitist old boys' clubs to the outdated titles held by the 'officers' of the sect. Jeremy MacNeil, the Anarch who actually unified the movement and created the Anarch Free State, dislikes Jack's presence within the US, as he fears Jack's activities might just bring the wrath of the American princes against the Free State. Jack, though, has a greater reputation among the Anarchs than MacNeil due to those very same activities, so there's not easy way to oust the popular Brujah.

Until, of course, the Cathayans began to expand their influence to North America.

Currently in California, Smiling Jack fights a war on two fronts. He's got the Camarilla pressing in on one side and the Cathayans on the other. He leads packs of Anarchs against the Kuei-Jin to disrupt their activities and speaks very loudly against the Princes of the Camarilla, earning him the enmity of both groups.

------------------

That's really all there is about Jack. As for Cainite history, I'm gonna do a general fly-by from the First Nights to the Last, then I can focus on certain clans as people request.

Smiling Jack is actually Jack Shandy. I'm going to pretend it's true while I play this game, at least.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PoPcornTG posted:

As is usual in Christian-based mythologies in horror, while hell's pretty cheerfully present, Heaven is less so.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

PoPcornTG posted:

God has turned his back on the world and left it to destroy itself, although whether he's given up on it for good or not is open for interpretation. The Hunters, the actual supernatural Hunters, are humans Imbued by the last remaining angels on Earth which are attempting to clean up the world by using humans to destroy (other) supernatural things so that god will take an interest in it again.

At least that's what the White Wolf wikipedia says.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lassitude posted:

God has turned his back on the world and left it to destroy itself, although whether he's given up on it for good or not is open for interpretation. The Hunters, the actual supernatural Hunters, are humans Imbued by the last remaining angels on Earth which are attempting to clean up the world by using humans to destroy (other) supernatural things so that god will take an interest in it again.

At least that's what the White Wolf wikipedia says.

Or possibly in hopes that if the Imbued can clean things up, God won't decide the whole thing's beyond redemption and wipe it out to start over again.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

PoPcornTG posted:

Depends on which of the WOD games you're reading. In Vampire, God doesn't get directly involved with things after the Biblical flood, although witch-hunters with True Faith in the divine are numbered among the vampires' mortal enemies (pardon the pun). In Demon, God has basically turned his back on the world after sealing the Fallen up in their Abyssal prison. In Werewolf: The Apocalypse, God is Gaia, the spirit of the Earth itself, and is under constant siege from the Wyrm, the incarnate principle of entropy and corruption. And in Mage, the One (i.e. God) didn't create the universe so much as fragment itself and form the universe from its constituent parts, with mages' power coming from an especially potent shard of the One within themselves.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
There's a few different theories on where God is in the grand scheme of things, mostly from Demon. The other series have a different cosmology (Werewolf, Mage) or God is just no longer as potent in this age of cynicism (Vampire). In Demon, God smote the Earth at the beginning of the angelic war, introducing what we call entropy into reality. Some say he hosed off after that, washing his hands clean of the whole mess. Could be that was his last act at all and the effort ruined him and he is gone for good. Or just chalk it up to 'mysterious ways.'

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
I think I heard from a friend somewhere that there's also another theory out there that God is the Wyrd - basically the force of main order that I think changelings draw some power from, and that he's basically driven the Wyrm insane due to "netting" around it.

I may be misremembering this, of course, and may have gotten a few names mixed up.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

everyone posted:

Malkavians :eng101:

That was quite interesting, thanks guys.

Vampires are kind of weird.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah, you did. Even so, it doesn't seem accurate. God wouldn't be the Weaver, since it's all just static order. The Wyld is just random energy, so that doesn't really fit either. And the Wyrm is, of course, the Wyrm.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tripartite god, maybe?

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I reinstalled this game because of all the mod talk. I never really noticed just how expressive the characters are, down to little things like Jack cocking his eyebrow. All the changes are keeping things a little random at least.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Spuzzz posted:

I reinstalled this game because of all the mod talk. I never really noticed just how expressive the characters are, down to little things like Jack cocking his eyebrow. All the changes are keeping things a little random at least.

The acting in this game is one of my favorite things about it.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Zereth posted:

Tripartite god, maybe?

Also consider the mythology of any of the changing breeds in the sea has distinct but similar deities that are actually separate entities with differing goals. The problem with oWoD was all of the creation myths that all sounded similar but never worked well together.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
On an aside, if anyone has a hankering for anything Vampire: The Masquerade related, we've got this...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400114

Look, but don't touch. Feel free to read along, though!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Vicissitude posted:

Yeah, you did. Even so, it doesn't seem accurate. God wouldn't be the Weaver, since it's all just static order. The Wyld is just random energy, so that doesn't really fit either. And the Wyrm is, of course, the Wyrm.

IIRC, the Wyrd from Changeling and the Wyld from Werewolf aren't the same thing.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Oberleutnant posted:

There are multiple different scenarios that range from a vampire-killing mist envoloping the earth and driving the few survivors towards a particular church where they could find salvation, to all out war as the masquerade falls apart, to the antediluvians rising up and eating everybody.
All the scenarios are stupid basically.

That's the Gehenna Sourcebook.

The Gehenna: The Final Nights novel is the cannon ending (yes, the Revised Novels are cannon, read the reprinted Clan Novel Saga's foreword). It's something of a combination between two of the Sourcebook's scenerios.

The novel also has a couple of references to Bloodlines' storyline, as it takes place a short while after it.

Vicissitude posted:

There's a few different theories on where God is in the grand scheme of things, mostly from Demon. The other series have a different cosmology (Werewolf, Mage) or God is just no longer as potent in this age of cynicism (Vampire). In Demon, God smote the Earth at the beginning of the angelic war, introducing what we call entropy into reality. Some say he hosed off after that, washing his hands clean of the whole mess. Could be that was his last act at all and the effort ruined him and he is gone for good. Or just chalk it up to 'mysterious ways.'

Revelations of the Dark Mother lays things out fairly clearly... though how much of that can be taken as 'fact' is questionable.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 27, 2011

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

If we are asking lore questions what's the story with Lillth? She is mentioned occasionally in game as Caine's wife who taught him magic before he dumped her, Is there any more to her than that?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Offkorn posted:

(yes, the Revised Novels are cannon, read the reprinted Clan Novel Saga's foreword)

The clan novels are canon, but only to the extent that the events and characters in them are vaguely referenced in the sourcebooks. For example, the conflict in New York as laid out in New York By Night contradicts the specifics of the clan novels in a few places, but the general gist of what happened matches up. The novels are all "this is the story of future of the World of Darkness", but the sourcebooks, when they reference the novels at all, are pretty explicit that the novels are meant to be used as inspiration first and canon second.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

If we are asking lore questions what's the story with Lillth? She is mentioned occasionally in game as Caine's wife who taught him magic before he dumped her, Is there any more to her than that?

That's it in a nutshell. There are cults that worship Lilith, but the most we're ever given on what they believe happened to Lilith is laid out in Revelations of the Dark Mother (the Lilin counterpart to the Cainites' Book of Nod). Even there, though, she's still as much of a mystery as Caine, albeit with a somewhat more specific motivation: revenge against Caine and his descendants for betraying her.

One of the possible scenarios in the Gehenna sourcebook has Lilith coming back with her coterie of secret apostate Antediluvians, but that scenario is goofy as all hell. Plus, it doesn't quite match up with the 'canonical' version of Gehenna as seen in the novel Gehenna: The Final Night.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gtrmp posted:

but the sourcebooks, when they reference the novels at all, are pretty explicit that the novels are meant to be used as inspiration first and canon second.

This is true of basically everything "story" related in the old World of Darkness, though. It was all optional.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
How did the "canonical" Gehenna go?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

With the approach of the Red Star, Cainites get weaker and weaker and... die off. A few Antediluvians are running around doing their thing, but largely, they die off first. Haqim is assassinating those of his clan who go against his will (though he spares Fatima for the strength of her conviction to be faithful to both him and Allah), [Tzimisce] never shows up, but its old body eventually dies off and stops snatching bums from the tunnels under New York, etc. Someone who he believes to be Caine appears to the Gangrel scholar Beckett and gives him one last truth to see out and the strength to do it, since he's almost too weak to move at that point.

All in all, vampires just wither and die. Very depressing.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

In the Gehenna scenarios do the end-game scenarios for the other parts of the WoD fiction play out concurrently? Does the werewolf Apocalypse happen as well as the mage Ascension?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Wasn't there a Gehenna scenario involving the [Tzimisce]-mass under New York rising up in a horrible tide of mutant flesh? That one seemed to have potential, for some really weird vampire post-apocalyptica.

Also, I'm mildly curious about the Giovanni. How far back do they go, and what were they like before they were a bizzaro mob family?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Cathair posted:

Also, I'm mildly curious about the Giovanni. How far back do they go, and what were they like before they were a bizzaro mob family?
Memory is a bit fuzzy here, but there used to be an old Vampire clan valled the Cappadocians who were necromancers (if you every played V:TM Redemption they lived in the church you raid early on). Around about 1400 the Giovanni were already a prominent family of merchants/thugs, and the Cappadocian leader sired the head of the family for some reason. That first Giovanni vampire immediately set about embracing most of his close relatives, until they had enough numbers and strength to diablerize the head of the clan and take it over completely.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 28, 2011

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Ferrosol posted:

White wolf went with the original creation myth before the church changed it: that first God made Adam from the earth, then made Lilith to serve him. Lilith refused to be subservient, so she was cast out of Eden, and God made Eve from Adam's rib so that she would be his lesser and bound to him. Lilith, cast from Eden, went out into the world and lay down with demons (Caine and worse); bearing monsters (vampires and worse) forth into the world.

e:also, as it's originally written, the Archangel Samael was responsible for seducing and impregnating Eve with Caine, and Lilith's refusal to submit occured after she herself mated with Samael; meaning she boned Caine and his Dad

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 28, 2011

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

Memory is a bit fuzzy here, but there used to be an old Vampire clam valled the Cappadocians who were necromancers (if you every played V:TM Redemption they lived in the church you raid early on). Around about 1400 the Giovanni were already a prominent family of merchants/thugs, and the Cappadocian leader sired the head of the family for some reason. That first Giovanni vampire immediately set about embracing most of his close relatives, until they had enough numbers and strength to diablerize the head of the clan and take it over completely.

Basically this, though Augustus Giovanni (as I recall that was his name... something with A) was embraced closer to like the 1100s or so. He was pretty old by the time he got around to actually diablerizing Cappodocius. In the meantime, he had kept ties with his own mortal family, and like selectively bred and embraced the cream of the crop. He kept doing this sort of poo poo and it became the clan's thing.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

White wolf went with the original creation myth before the church changed it: that first God made Adam from the earth, then made Lilith to serve him. Lilith refused to be subservient, so she was cast out of Eden, and God made Eve from Adam's rib so that she would be his lesser and bound to him. Lilith, cast from Eden, went out into the world and lay down with demons (Caine and worse); bearing monsters (vampires and worse) forth into the world.

e:also, as it's originally written, the Archangel Samael was responsible for seducing and impregnating Eve with Caine, and Lilith's refusal to submit occured after she herself mated with Samael; meaning she boned Caine and his Dad

The idea that Lilith was Adam's first wife was an invention of a medieval rabbi, actually. Lilith was just a baby-killing demon-spirit in the Mesopotamian faiths that were contemporary with early Judaism, and is mentioned in the Bible in that context. There's no historical basis to the revisionist notion that the early church fathers purged Adam's original wife from the Bible for political or misogynistic reasons. Likewise, the idea of Samael as the father of Cain is attributed to a first-century rabbi, though the text in question might have been written centuries later, and Lilith isn't present in this version of the myth at all. It sounds like you got your info from a well-intentioned but frustratingly revisionist thealogical source of the sort that would talk about the Burning Times and the Triple Goddess and so on.

That said: in the World of Darkness, Lilith and Lucifer were totally bangin' 24/7, and that's how Lilith was able to get into the Garden of Eden and tempt Eve into eating the apple while Lucifer was supposed to be standing guard over the gates of Eden. Then Lilith gave birth to hordes of freaky-rear end sea-monsters, though God might have been her baby-daddy, not Lucifer.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I installed Bloodlines again, intending to finally BEAT THE FUCKER, spent 3 hours making it work properly in Wine... everything boots! My video settings work! I'm in game, the intro has played! I'm in-game!!! My mouse won't register properly and turning around is a hit-and-miss endeavor that can take up to five tries.

:negative:

One day my absolutely guileless face-crushing Brujah will get to see beyond Downtown of Bloodlines. If he can ever learn how to handle turning around.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

gtrmp posted:

The idea that Lilith was Adam's first wife was an invention of a medieval rabbi, actually. Lilith was just a baby-killing demon-spirit in the Mesopotamian faiths that were contemporary with early Judaism, and is mentioned in the Bible in that context. There's no historical basis to the revisionist notion that the early church fathers purged Adam's original wife from the Bible for political or misogynistic reasons. Likewise, the idea of Samael as the father of Cain is attributed to a first-century rabbi, though the text in question might have been written centuries later, and Lilith isn't present in this version of the myth at all. It sounds like you got your info from a well-intentioned but frustratingly revisionist thealogical source of the sort that would talk about the Burning Times and the Triple Goddess and so on.

That said: in the World of Darkness, Lilith and Lucifer were totally bangin' 24/7, and that's how Lilith was able to get into the Garden of Eden and tempt Eve into eating the apple while Lucifer was supposed to be standing guard over the gates of Eden. Then Lilith gave birth to hordes of freaky-rear end sea-monsters, though God might have been her baby-daddy, not Lucifer.

I absolutely do not want to turn this into an ill advised theological history debate; I am certainly no theologian myself, just an enthusiast. However, I thought that they mistranslation of Lilit to Lamia in the 4th century was part of the interpretive removal of Lilith from the creation myth. As near as I can tell only having Wikipedia and no better source at the moment this is accurate, but if you have any better sources readily available I would love to look over them and clarify my misunderstanding.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Lassitude posted:

In the Gehenna scenarios do the end-game scenarios for the other parts of the WoD fiction play out concurrently? Does the werewolf Apocalypse happen as well as the mage Ascension?

Its stated they could, but this is messy and most of the scenarios conflict with each other as well as the novels, though I think the mage ascension novel mentions that vampires just seemed to have disappeared with no one really noticing.

In general, cross over was never really supported in oWoD, too many rules conflicted and it become a mess to convert stuff.

Also the Hunter, Demon, Changeling, Mummy, even Kuei-jin apocalypse scenarios only barely mention vampire, nor each other even though Hunter would meddle in everyones affairs since pretty much all scenarios involve supernaturals being unmasked.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

However, I thought that they mistranslation of Lilit to Lamia in the 4th century was part of the interpretive removal of Lilith from the creation myth.

"Lilith" and "Lilit" are both valid transliterations of the same Hebrew word, though the latter is more accurate AFAIK. Either way, the figure of Lilith was never involved in the creation myth outside of rabbinical fanfic.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is the other Vampire game (Redemption? I think) worth playing if I enjoyed Bloodlines?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Gyshall posted:

Is the other Vampire game (Redemption? I think) worth playing if I enjoyed Bloodlines?

No.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My opinion is that yes it's worth playing, but not because you enjoyed Bloodlines. They're at opposite ends of the RPG spectrum - Redemption is a hack-and-slash that has more in common with Diablo than Bloodlines, and the plot really just serves to shuttle you from one long dungeon to another.
It's a pretty good hack and slash though. Some challenging encounters, lots of nice loot, poo poo-loads of disciplines (many more per character than Bloodlines) and a nice variety of locations streched over medieval and modern periods.

It's like $6 on Good Old Games, I certainly got more than $6 of fun out of it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Redemption is a cheerful reminder that Brujah was originally supposed to be pronounced "Broo-zhah". It's in first edition Vampire and everything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Redemption is a cheerful reminder that Brujah was originally supposed to be pronounced "Broo-zhah". It's in first edition Vampire and everything.

They also pronounce Tzimisce correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Are there any Vampire or Werewolf novels worth reading?

• Locked thread