Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I like that 'remove the arm it bidded with with aimed fire' idea. Put these so-called honorable yahoos to the test and see if they actually do back down when they lose a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I am nervous about any plan that doesn't virtually guarantee the destruction of that thunderchild this turn. :ohdear:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Caesar Steiner's unit needs more bondsmen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bad Moon posted:

Caesar Steiner's unit needs more bondsmen.

poo poo, if the 2nd Donegal takes some Clanners prisoner, they can crack this whole "honor system" thing wide open and find new exciting ways to abuse the gently caress out of it. Start demanding things like counter-bids and invoking safcon? Yeah.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Affi posted:

Alright how do aimed shots work?

I know how we can disable the mech and not get raped.

Blow his loving arm off. Clanners would accept that. The tank and the cyclops could both aim at the arm with all they got.

This is the thing to do. You don't even need to use the tank for it. It's pretty safe reprisal-wise and it has a good chance of success. The Cyclops would be foolish not to walk up next to the Blackhawk/Thunderchild/Nova (BTN), so both the AC/20 and remaining MLAS would automatically hit (4 Gunnery + 1 Walking - 4 Immobile Target - 2 Target Prone in Adjacent Hex). Aiming at the right arm, both would then need a 6-8 to hit the RA, and only the AC/20 has to hit to blow it off, thanks to prior missile damage.

Tempest_56 posted:

I'll tell you this much - you're [the Banshee] sure as hell not gonna win against him [the Battle Cobra] at range.

This. I suggested the Zeus keep the range open, but the BC is too fast for that and has pulse lasers, so would hit you anyway. Close and fire non-PPC stuff from 1421 (so you don't have to run). You need 6s.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The Thunderchild has only a few points of armor left in t's left leg, and if I recall correctly an AC/20 there would be enough to take out all the structure as well. Anyone who knows the aimed shots rule, would that be an easier target than the head?

Edit: Reading above, I'd still say the leg is your best option. It completely removes him as a threat.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 28, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

raverrn posted:

Edit: Reading above, I'd still say the leg is your best option. It completely removes him as a threat.

Not technically. He could prop with the left and fire with the right, or even stand back up on a 9. Blowing off the only weapons he bid is far more classy and less likely to annoy the touchy Vipers.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mukaikubo posted:

I am nervous about any plan that doesn't virtually guarantee the destruction of that thunderchild this turn. :ohdear:

That makes it simple. Make an offer to the Thunderchild to surrender. When its clear that Knox is out cold make the offer to Dusk instead. If she refuses an honorable surrender you put an AC/20 round right through the cockpit and inform her that she has two turns to send two unarmed men to collect whats left of his body for a proper burial. :black101:

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

gently caress this spergy clanner honor system. Lets light them the gently caress up. Open up with everything dropships, and all. The 2nd Donegal Guards will go down in glory fighting on their own terms.

Show the clans how House Steiner rolls.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

raverrn posted:

The Thunderchild has only a few points of armor left in t's left leg, and if I recall correctly an AC/20 there would be enough to take out all the structure as well. Anyone who knows the aimed shots rule, would that be an easier target than the head?

Maybe that is the best option.. maybe.. but the classy option is to remove his arm. PTN can really spin that poo poo in the flavourtext to make us fistpu.. gently caress what am I doing? Im supposed to cheer for the clans.

Okay shoot him in the cockpit with the AC20.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Popy posted:

gently caress this spergy clanner honor system. Lets light them the gently caress up. Open up with everything dropships, and all. The 2nd Donegal Guards will go down in glory fighting on their own terms.

Ah, the "we will beat you vigorously about the soles of your boots with our faces, fear us" method.

Also, the dropships are powered down and can't fire, or you'd probably be right.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Popy posted:

The dropships are powering up from a cold shutdown state. They are currently unable to use their weapons. For now, I agree with either destroying the right arm or aiming at the cockpit and requesting the Nova's surrender.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

landcollector posted:

The dropships are powering up from a cold shutdown state. They are currently unable to use their weapons. For now, I agree with either destroying the right arm or aiming at the cockpit and requesting the Nova's surrender.

Blow off that arm, demand a surrender, stall some time.

Edit: Open comm channels after you remove the arm and say: "Dear honorable clan Steel Viper, the mechwarrior who challenged the Cyclops has fallen on a sword sharpened with his (her?) own hubris. I have removed the offending arm he (she?) challenged me with. You may pick up the pilot at your leisure, I will keep the fallen mech as a trophy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rST04LvIMg

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 29, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Don't demand a surrender while he still has working weapons. Demand it when they're gone. He would only disgrace himself if be surrendered himself when he could still maybe win.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Defiance Industries posted:

Don't demand a surrender while he still has working weapons. Demand it when they're gone. He would only disgrace himself if be surrendered himself when he could still maybe win.

Plus he could be unconscious when you ask, so he won't hear you.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Bozart posted:

Plus he could be unconscious when you ask, so he won't hear you.

HE'S COMING RIGHT FOR US *gunfire*

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, since the players seem to be pushing the Clans back, gogogo. I wanna see you guys disable all Clan mechs on the field by turn 15.

Or, y'know, get yourselves stomped thoroughly in the next two turns. I'm not cheering for one side so much as for a fast bloodbath.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that noise. Press your advantage. Deal as much damage as you can while it's immobile.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009
My 2 cents: disable the weapons arm he bid, then demand surrender in the name of Khan Caesar of Clan Donegal. Failing that, boot to the head or an AC/20 to the faceplate.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

I'm pretty much basing my middling advise on the prospects of how PTN can spin it into fluff. :)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I do like the idea of them trying to play along with the clan stuff as best as they can infer from a couple lines. "Uh... behold! We have humbled your... mighty warrior challenge in the name of Hou- clan Steiner! So he's out! We'll wait while you retrieve him. No, take as long as you need, send out the next guy when he's ready."

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Dolash posted:

I do like the idea of them trying to play along with the clan stuff as best as they can infer from a couple lines. "Uh... behold! We have humbled your... mighty warrior challenge in the name of Hou- clan Steiner! So he's out! We'll wait while you retrieve him. No, take as long as you need, send out the next guy when he's ready."

Do this. Not only is it possible that it'll work (the Clans know absolutely nothing about how the Inner Sphere fights, and this being Steel Viper they may well try to stick to your rules too), but even if it doesn't the Clanners' reactions will be really funny.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dolash posted:

Given that the objective here is to stall for time so that (I am guessing) the dropship can take off, it would not be a bad idea.
Also, if I remember correctly, it is possible to target specific part of an immobilised battlemech, so I am guessing it should be possible to destroy the arm he challenged you with. It would probably be fun (and dickish) enough that the Steel Viper CO would let you do it. :D

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
If the Cyclopes pilot believes he has the situation well in hand with the Not-Nova, perhaps the Tank could turn around and put a 20 pounder into the Cobra's hip joint. The tank has already fired into a duel, not like it would upset things any more.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Dolash posted:

Warlocke, you need to do this. :D

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Polaron posted:

Do this. Not only is it possible that it'll work (the Clans know absolutely nothing about how the Inner Sphere fights, and this being Steel Viper they may well try to stick to your rules too), but even if it doesn't the Clanners' reactions will be really funny.

Indeed. The Clans will give you a lot of room if you try to abide by their rules, like with the 3rd Lyran Guard.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Dolash posted:

Mukaikubo posted:

Warlocke, you need to do this.:D

Yes, you absolutely need to do this. Half-assedly imitating their precious warriors' honor is much, much funnier than completely ignoring it, and think of the glory if you pull this one out!

Super bonus points if you can get the Vipers to waste a few turns while you explain the intricacies of made-up battle traditions like "no tag-backs", "cootie shots", "two for flinching", and "opposite day".

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 29, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mary Annette posted:

Yes, you absolutely need to do this. Half-assedly imitating their precious warriors' honor is much, much funnier than completely ignoring it, and think of the glory if you pull this one out!

For Khan Caesar and Clan Steiner! Seylabration!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

For Khan Caesar and Clan Steiner! Seylabration!

I am now imagining assault battlemechs attempting to clumsily dance to this ancient tune while someone's warbling voice is pumped through external speakers.

This has livened up my imagination's night considerably.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Mary Annette posted:

Super bonus points if you can get the Vipers to waste a few turns while you explain the intricacies of made-up battle traditions like "no tag-backs", "cootie shots", "two for flinching", and "opposite day".

I love it when a plan comes together.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
I would've hoped that, by now, the correct course of action would have become obvious!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pity they don't exist, since the plans for them were in the Helm core that ComStar absconded with.

Actually, they do. The Houses still have the downgraded HGN-733 kicking around. And while it isn't as neat as the SL-era version (AC/10 instead of the Gauss, no CASE and 17.5 tons standard armor instead of 15.5 tons FF) it can Goomba-stomp poo poo just as good. :eng101:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

I am now imagining assault battlemechs attempting to clumsily dance to this ancient tune while someone's warbling voice is pumped through external speakers.

This has livened up my imagination's night considerably.

The 2nd Donegal is a lot more varied than most regiments. Mechs of ALL weight classes can clumsily dance if you are in Caesar's Legion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magni posted:

Actually, they do. The Houses still have the downgraded HGN-733 kicking around. And while it isn't as neat as the SL-era version (AC/10 instead of the Gauss, no CASE and 17.5 tons standard armor instead of 15.5 tons FF) it can Goomba-stomp poo poo just as good. :eng101:
Not entirely true. Most existing Highlanders are owned by Comstar and there aren't many. The Clans took a load with them and mostly reconfigured them into the Highlander IIC for second-line work. Davis McCall was the first person to pilot one "privately" and he had to pay for it to be reconstructed using money he saved from being number 3 in the Gray Death Legion.....

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If we're wishig for stripped-down Star League mechs, can I get a PLG-1N?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Popy posted:

That would gently caress everything up as much as Mukaikubo's first trial outcome where both a Khan and an ilKhan obliterated each other in the last round.

Granted, I think that PTN should've kept that outcome, since it would lead to Interesting Times... :) But I still don't think you should do this.

Dolash posted:

This. Definitely this.

They want to play the honor game? Let's play it. Of course, we may have to make some poo poo up as we go, but... :)

Basically, remember the first fight with the Draconis Combine? We played by their rules and it came back to help us later? Do the same thing here.

Claim that pilot and his 'mech as isorla. Even if you don't know the name, just say that he's lost and he's now yours. The Vipers will go for it, since you've clearly won.

Then get your Wolfhound pilot into the Clan 'Mech. :)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Then get your Wolfhound pilot into the Clan 'Mech. :)

No, no, clearly the Wolfhound pilot is doing well right where he is. Get one of the tank crew into the Clan 'Mech.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Y'know, the main reason this all might work is because the Wolf's Dragoons never showed up to do any recon at all of the Inner Sphere in this timeline.

In other words, this might work because the Clanners don't know any better.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Really lucky shots this turn, probably gonna need a lot more of it to survive against the Clans...

Agreeing with the whole offer surrender thing, preferably after blowing off that arm that he bid to fight you with. Maybe offer a surrender this turn, then if it isn't accepted by Star Colonel Dusk, blow the arm off and demand it again next turn. You are attempting to stall for time for the Dropships to get powered up, right? Then stall all you can out of this...

If you guys get a Clan prisoner and a semi-damaged Clan mech out of this, along with getting some Steiners out of the line of fire, you should receive some sort of commendation or something, provided you survive, of course. Loving the whole Khan Caesar of Clan Steiner thing too. Amusing fluff is always fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dolash posted:

This is the most hilarious Battletech plan ever.

• Locked thread