Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

In medieval times, everybody drank ale rather than water, even children. I'm told this was because there was no clean drinking water available. As part of the brewing process, the water in ale must be boiled, which makes it healthier by killing germs. But medieval people didn't know about germs, so how could they know that boiling water made it safer to drink?

They probably didn't, but would surely realize that drinking out of the lake was bad for you while drinking beer ensured a long life of 35-some years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

In medieval times, everybody drank ale rather than water, even children. I'm told this was because there was no clean drinking water available. As part of the brewing process, the water in ale must be boiled, which makes it healthier by killing germs. But medieval people didn't know about germs, so how could they know that boiling water made it safer to drink?

Process of elimination. Drink out of the latrine - poo poo all over myself. Drink ale - good to go.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm looking for an article that was posted on Gawker and Lifehacker about 1 to 2 months ago. It detailed how different age groups use computers and the internet. It was a pretty telling article and actually got fairly specific on each group's usage.

Does anyone know how I can find this? Google isn't being much help, and Gawker's new search function is worthless.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I have a thermos flask. I have no coffee pot.

How do I get coffee in the thermos flask? One mug at a time seems a bit contrived, and I feel like brewing it in the flask for whatever reason might be a bad idea.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

To the Italians out there:

If your first language is Italian and you were speaking English, how would you say the word "route"? As in "can you tell me the route to the supermarket". Would it be root (like an English person) or rowt (like an American)?

I think I intend this for natives of Italy rather than those who may be children of ex-pats, since I imagine the surrounding culture may affect the answer.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I have a thermos flask. I have no coffee pot.

How do I get coffee in the thermos flask? One mug at a time seems a bit contrived, and I feel like brewing it in the flask for whatever reason might be a bad idea.

You can brew coffee in a thermos flask. All that happens when you brew coffee is that you allow ground, roasted coffee beans to steep in hot water for a period of time, the longer, the stronger.

All you do is put your measured amount of coffee in there, and pour boiling water on top of it.

The tricky part is (A) if you do this before you leave for work in the morning, then by the time you get to work, your coffee is so strong that it will float a nail. If that's the kind of coffee you like, then bon appetit! :toot:

And (B) drinking it without getting coffee grounds, too. Fortunately most of the grounds will settle to the bottom of the thermos while you drive to work, so if you drink very cautiously, you shouldn't get more than a few good mouthfuls of grounds.

Why not just make the coffee at home and then pour it into the flask? You don't need an officially sanctioned "Coffee Pot Object" to make coffee. Make it in a stainless steel, graniteware, or glass (i.e. not aluminum or cast iron) saucepan, get some coffee filters at Wal-Mart, put one supported by a large tea strainer over an appropriately-sized bowl, filter it, then pour into thermos. If you need to drink your coffee at boiling-hot temperatures, and you think that the filtration process will cause it to lose some vital heat to the air and to the bowl and tea strainer, you can always nuke it in the microwave in between the steps of "filtering into bowl" and "emptying bowl into thermos". So I guess this means you should use a microwave-safe bowl, huh.

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 28, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I did a buy-it-now on something on ebay saturday and paid. Today I get an email from paypal saying your payment has been refunded there was a note from the seller saying "Item is backordered".

This item is showing up in my buying reminders "you need to pay for 1 item" if I click on it, the item's payment icon is lit but with a little back arrow over it this indicates refunded I'm gathering since if I hover over it with the mouse it says "refunded"

Why is it still saying "you need to pay for 1 item"? has this purchase been effectively canceled? or is he going to want money from me when he gets more in stock?

I don't want to buy from him is there anything I need to do?

(It's an otterbox commuter case for htc inspire. Almost all of these on ebay say they are pre-order but his didn't. I should have known something was up when the buy it now was "only" $39 when it seems anyone who actually has them is charging >$50. I think normal retail is around $25 :argh: Not available in any normal webstores as far as I can tell. Hope I don't drop my new phone before I can get one.)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 28, 2011

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

I did a buy-it-now on something on ebay saturday and paid. Today I get an email from paypal saying your payment has been refunded there was a note from the seller saying "Item is backordered".

This item is showing up in my buying reminders "you need to pay for 1 item" if I click on it, the item's payment icon is lit but with a little back arrow over it this indicates refunded I'm gathering since if I hover over it with the mouse it says "refunded"

Why is it still saying "you need to pay for 1 item"? has this purchase been effectively canceled? or is he going to want money from me when he gets more in stock?

I don't want to buy from him is there anything I need to do?

(It's an otterbox commuter case for htc inspire. Almost all of these on ebay say they are pre-order but his didn't. I should have known something was up when the buy it now was "only" $39 when it seems anyone who actually has them is charging >$50. I think normal retail is around $25 :argh: Not available in any normal webstores as far as I can tell. Hope I don't drop my new phone before I can get one.)

I think you need to be asking eBay these questions, actually.

Just off the top of my head, it's backordered, so when it comes in, he's going to send you an email informing you of the fact, and yes, he's going to expect payment. I think you need to contact eBay and let them know that his sale didn't specify that items might be backordered.

Since your paypal was refunded, you're not out any money, and you're not obligated to send him payment when it does eventually come in. You should definitely let him know that you are no longer interested in buying it.

It still says "you need to pay for 1 item" because that is how eBay's software works; until it gets that click that tells it "paid", it will keep prompting you.

Really, to be 100% sure you don't get stung, I'd talk to both eBay and the seller.

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 28, 2011

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Baron Bifford posted:

It doesn't really have as much to do with the boiling of water to make fermented drinks as it does the alcohol in fermented drinks preventing new bad things from growing in them. As mentioned above, they didn't necessarily understand this but through trial and error would have figured out what they should be drinking pretty easily.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

As mentioned above, they didn't necessarily understand this but through trial and error would have figured out what they should be drinking pretty easily.

Along these lines, here's an interesting article about scurvy. Sailors knew how to prevent/cure scurvy long before anyone knew what vitamin C was, but misunderstandings about its cause led to a resurgence even after it was thought conquered.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Baron Bifford posted:

It wasn't just about making it safer when it was made. It was about long storage. Same for wine. Wine stays good a long time. Grape juice does not.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Fig Newton posted:

Really, to be 100% sure you don't get stung, I'd talk to both eBay and the seller.

Cool I think your reply answered my question pretty much that this is a normal way ebay does things when something's out of stock.

I am going to contact the seller and cancel cause this thing may be worth $40 to me now because no one else has it but I'm sure by the time he gets some everyone else will too and they'll be down to $25 or $30.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cosmicjim posted:

It wasn't just about making it safer when it was made. It was about long storage. Same for wine. Wine stays good a long time. Grape juice does not.

Yeah it took until the 1870s for grape juice that didn't go to rot and nastiness after a few days to be invented, similar with most other common fruit juices.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Fig Newton posted:

You can brew coffee in a thermos flask. All that happens when you brew coffee is that you allow ground, roasted coffee beans to steep in hot water for a period of time, the longer, the stronger.

All you do is put your measured amount of coffee in there, and pour boiling water on top of it.

I did this and it tastes absolutely fine and I really don't know why I was being a prissy little bitch about it so thanks!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

cosmicjim posted:

Huh? Ale goes stale pretty quickly, actually. It doesn't last like beer. Ale-wives would brew some every day and sell it immediately because it didn't keep.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Ah, it did spoil. It was for nutrition.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 28, 2011

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Baron Bifford posted:

Huh? Ale goes stale pretty quickly, actually. It doesn't last like beer. Ale-wives would brew some every day and sell it immediately because it didn't keep.

Ale keeps just fine? It is beer, there are two kinds of beer, ale and lager, and the only difference is that one is fermented at warmer temperatures with ale yeast (ales) and the other is kept in cool storage for a longer fermentation (lager). You also can't make beer in a single day. I mean, yes the actual brewing process takes less than a day but nothing ferments properly or completely in less than 24 hours.

There is a huge disparity between the beverages of the past and the beverages of today. I mean, if you are going to make liquid bread like the Egyptians did that likely had actual chunks of dough and big globules of yeast floating around its clearly going to be different than what was made in the 1000s, 1500s etc. Even stuff made today compared to the early to mid 1900s is fairly different.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This book on medieval England tells me that 14th century ale was made without hops, which is the distinction between ale and beer and the reason it goes stale quickly. The book doesn't actually say how quickly it goes bad, only that ale brewers did not put it in storage but tried to sell it off as quickly as possible.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
double post, very sorry

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Baron Bifford posted:

This book on medieval England tells me that 14th century ale was made without hops, which is the distinction between ale and beer and the reason it goes stale quickly. The book doesn't actually say how quickly it goes bad, only that ale brewers did not put it in storage but tried to sell it off as quickly as possible.

You are right on the hops, but that has nothing to do with what makes beer beer. You can make beer without hops, and it is still beer. I am sorry but that book is simply wrong, at least in terminology. Go check out any other brewing or beer resource, including the homebrew or beer threads in goons with spoons, if you want to check for yourself.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
What causes that pain in your jaw you get when eating sweet things?
Or is that just me.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

silversiren posted:

Or is that just me.

Cavities

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

silversiren posted:

Or is that just me.

I've heard it's due to extra saliva being pumped into your mouth. It's a very strange sensation.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
If a man has a vasectomy, does his ejaculate look like water?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Robokomodo posted:

If a man has a vasectomy, does his ejaculate look like water?

It looks the same.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

silversiren posted:

Or is that just me.
Go see your dentist. When this happened to me I had to get a root canal.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

This is the first place my mind went, but I was more curious as to whether or not that idea had crossed over to those previously non-integrated cultures, i.e. if these days can you easily find a Mexican restaurant in Taipei.

Probably a large mexican population in Taipei. Im not sure. Theres chinese restaurants in every country because theres a billion of them to flow around and set up a business and a restaurant is probably something a decent number of them have a grasp on.

Then you have countries where for some reason they've got a large population of another country. Lots of polish people in iceland for example. Or lots of turks in germany. Lots of greeks in Australia etc etc.

kimbo305 posted:

I've never seen a contigent of Irish people at an Irish pub. Of course, there's like 1000 Irish bars in Boston, so they could have their pick on either end of the block in any part of the city.

How many people who live in Boston now were actually born in Ireland though? I assume most of the irish population came over in the late 19th/early 20th century and have largely become american?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

silversiren posted:

Or is that just me.

No, I get this too - have done all my life. It's like your teeth kind of baulking at how sweet the item is, yeah? And then it goes off and it's gone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fists Up posted:

How many people who live in Boston now were actually born in Ireland though? I assume most of the irish population came over in the late 19th/early 20th century and have largely become american?

It reinforces my point -- Irish pubs in America are gimmicks for your evening entertainment. 99.9% of their patronage are Americans looking to drink Guinness in an environment with any shred of authenticity. They are not, like other ethnic restaurants, a place where those ethnicities might flock to eat home food.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What does the phrase 'red woman' mean? Google gives me nothing, but a friend says she read it in harry potter and it's derogatory or something.
Is this an actual phrase or existing in fiction only?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Just got a new car that comes with a stock alarm and the key itself has the alarm controls on it rather than just a separate device I can keep on the keychain. With my old car, I just kept the spare key in my wallet in case I locked my keys in the car, but I can't really do that with this key.

What's the best way for me to keep my spare key around - tote it in a small plastic case in my pocket or something?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wedemeyer posted:

What does the phrase 'red woman' mean? Google gives me nothing, but a friend says she read it in harry potter and it's derogatory or something.
Is this an actual phrase or existing in fiction only?

It implies that she is a prostitute. I think scarlet woman is a more common phrase.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Encryptic posted:

What's the best way for me to keep my spare key around - tote it in a small plastic case in my pocket or something?

I can't imagine wanting to carry the spare key in my pocket at all times. Try one of those magnetic key boxes that can mount in the wheel well.

The new keys are thicker because unlike old keys, they often have a microchip the communicates with the car to allow it to start. The security controls are frequently mounted in the key because factory-installed security systems are far more common now and the chipped keys need to be thicker anyway, so you might as well combine the two.

You can cut a copy of the key, but it won't let the car start; it will, however, open the door and be small enough to carry in your wallet. Once you're in the car, shut off the alarm with your real key. I'm not aware of any car that wouldn't let you get in the door with a generic, non-chipped key, but I'd obviously try it out before you're in a real bind.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

marshmallard posted:

No, I get this too - have done all my life. It's like your teeth kind of baulking at how sweet the item is, yeah? And then it goes off and it's gone.

Yeah and it's normally only the first bite of something sweet if you haven't had anything sweet in a long long time.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

It implies that she is a prostitute. I think scarlet woman is a more common phrase.

I've heard and read 'lady in red' more than those two. Probably regional.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Here's a bit of a strange question. Bear with me since it's musically related and more along the lines of an opinion poll for the music appreciating goons.

Is the 60s musical artist Johnny Rivers as popular as satellite and terrestrial radio make him out to be? I mean, I really can't go anywhere without hearing at least one of his songs. Hop in the truck, a Johnny Rivers song comes on one of the rock stations or 60s on 6 on XM. Go to the store, "Poor Side of Town" or some other song is on the intercom. Go somewhere that has a radio on, "Secret Agent Man" is playing. He's not a bad artist by any means, but I know absolutely no one that admits to liking him. Not a single, solitary person.

A good chunk of my family is full of baby boomers who were there when he was supposedly popular, but not a single aunt or uncle owns any of his records. Both my parents are baby boomers, and neither of them own any of his albums, either. No one I know even has a greatest hits compilation. I've asked my parents if he was ever popular, and I get a similar response: "He was all right, I guess." and that's about it.

Is he one of those artists that enjoyed wild popularity in a specific part of the U.S., but garnered only mild to no recognition elsewhere (like early Beach Boys on the west coast)? Every time I hear one of his songs, all I can think of is "who are they playing this for?" since no one fesses up to caring for his music.

Am I right in that he was only popular here and there, or is XM and Clear Channel just persistent that if they play his music enough, maybe someone will like it?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
If I thumbs-down a song on Pandora, does it interpret that as "I don't like that song" or as "that isn't what I want from this station"?

I like Sympathy for the Devil, but the Rolling Stones don't really go with the 70's/80's punk/ska station I'm trying to listen to.

Eyeball fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 29, 2011

exhaust heat
Dec 23, 2010

by Lowtax
Hello all :)

I have a problem. Every day(24 hour cycle) I fall Unconscious for about 6-10 hours at a time(varies). This alarms me and I can't seem to control it.

Do you guys have any remedy to this problem I have? Thank you in advance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

exhaust heat posted:

I have a problem. Every day(24 hour cycle) I fall Unconscious for about 6-10 hours at a time(varies). This alarms me and I can't seem to control it.

Dude, come on. We just probated someone for trolling. Start a troll thread somewhere else if you must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

exhaust heat posted:

Hello, it's called sleep. Get used to it.