Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Digital Scumbag posted:

Anybuddy got a screencap of dat Bugs?

You can watch a clip of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY93bQUl0Ys&feature=related

Everything about it is terrible. And those voices, my god. I don't get it either. BOTH good recent voices of Bugs (Billy West and the guy who voiced him in Back in Action) are BOTH IN THIS SHOW! But neither of them are voicing Bugs. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2014

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Here's an article about the show. And here's the official website, where you can see video clips and the character redesigns. (For some reason, Daffy has also been given a girlfriend to go along with Lola Bunny, and Witch Hazel's name is now spelled backwards- odd, since "witch hazel" is an actual thing and Disney actually had a character with the same name at the same time [both voiced originally by June Foray, no less], so it doesn't seem like there would be a legal problem.)

The guy who's doing Bugs and Daffy's voices could do them pretty well...but that was twenty years ago after Mel Blanc had just died.

ETA: Okay, the more I see of this show, the more I like it. The clip on the official website where Bugs tries to tell an uninterested Daffy his life story is hilarious. "He'll be fast, virtually invulnerable, and say 'what's up doc' indiscriminately whether speaking to a doctor or not."

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 29, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Bugs and Lola definitely came out worse for wear but I like them for the most part :shobon:

Ew, what'd they do to Gossamer (the big red monster)?

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Bugs and Lola definitely came out worse for wear but I like them for the most part :shobon:

Whats with girl Daffy and girl Porky? Are they new characters?

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Amorphous Blob posted:

Whats with girl Daffy and girl Porky? Are they new characters?

Girl Daffy is a new character, but Girl Porky (Petunia) dates back to at least the 1930s.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think one of the things hurting New Looney Tunes is the seemingly total lack of music. I mean, it's not like the old cartoons had a running background theme all the time, but from the clips that are up now, the only noise is Bugs and Daffy talking.

Oh, and I watched one of the Coyote/Roadrunner sketches and what happened to the opening music? I mean, I understand that since this is in a thirty-minute block now, they're not going to start every segment off individually, but that intro sounded terrible...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It looks like they wanted to do Tiny Toons using the original characters.
(and yes, I know the original characters were in Tiny Toons and you know that's not what I mean.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm actually okay with MOST of the revamps, but there's just something unsettling about Bugs' face. Maybe because he's the most iconic character so just seeing it a little off is really weird.

I don't even think this is going to air in Canada so I'm not really going to go out of my way to find episodes or anything, but I guess if it ever filters up here I'll try to give it a chance.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

^I agree. I think it's for the same reason- Bugs is such a recognizable character that even if you alter him slightly it looks odd.

TwoPair posted:

I think one of the things hurting New Looney Tunes is the seemingly total lack of music. I mean, it's not like the old cartoons had a running background theme all the time, but from the clips that are up now, the only noise is Bugs and Daffy talking.

It's very hard to capture the sort of musical wit that Carl Stalling had. This is a different sort of humor from the original Looney Tunes anyway, so perhaps it's best not to try. (Of course, part of what made Stalling's musicality work is the fact that he used a lot of popular songs that Warners happened to own the rights to add an extra gag, like "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" if someone was blowing bubbles or "I'm Looking Over A Four-Leaf Clover" if the Road Runner was on a cloverleaf highway. Warners no longer owns its eponymous Music Group, but then again Regular Show isn't against using licensed music, and the clip where Bugs tells Daffy he's from Krypton uses the actual John Williams Superman theme, though I'm assuming Warners no doubt owns that.)

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The character designs were done by Jessica Borutski. I have always loved Chuck Jones style and I always will, but I really think it may be best to move ahead. The characters have always changed in look and personality over the decades and WB has been stuck on CJ mode a little to long.
The Humor has changed over time as well. In the early years Daffy Duck use to be super wacky crazy. Now he's a greedy jerk with a short fuse as well a foil for Bugs.

This is just my own personal and humble little opinion so I really don't want to force it on others.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

mobo85 posted:

^I agree. I think it's for the same reason- Bugs is such a recognizable character that even if you alter him slightly it looks odd.

To be fair I think the new design looks better animated than it does in screenshots.

I'm mixed on this show so far. The songs are just awful but on the other hand I really liked this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bxw6PIOwhA&feature=related

So I'm taking a wait-and-see approach for now.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I don't mind the redesigns much, but Bugs being so close to his original yet a little off makes him look like a terrible Bugs tattoo, mall airbrushed t-shirt, or the side of some knockoff amusement park ride.
It's not even that the art is bad or anything! It's just like the "redesign" is so close to the original, my brain just registers as someone attempting to capture the likeness of the original and failing! I am dumb.

I also laughed at an idiot at the above clip, but things got really real when the Batman reference dropped. Hahaha.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The more I look at that reunion clip and the basketball clips they have on youtube, the more this feels like one of those mid to late 90s Disney Afternoon cartoons. Which is actually not all that terrible because I thought they were cute and had their own charm.

I think this whole shock is also seeing the Looney Tunes a little out of their element. Kind of how it took me forever to get beyond the fact that Goofy had a kid and lived in a real house and had neighbours and poo poo. He was supposed to be some guy who just got real mad on the drive to work and beat guys up at a hockey game.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mobo85 posted:

Actually Bugs Bunny went through numerious redesigns over the decades. This new one looks like they tried to combine the original Bugs with the Chuck Jones era one. The body proportions though are different, this one is definetly more stylized than previous ones.

The Original Bugs Bunny had a far more oval face than all later versions of the character. He didn't have any cheeks that would stick out in 3/4 view. If you were to put them side by side, th Original would most definetly look drasticly different than the later versions.

Martytoof posted:

I think this whole shock is also seeing the Looney Tunes a little out of their element. Kind of how it took me forever to get beyond the fact that Goofy had a kid and lived in a real house and had neighbours and poo poo. He was supposed to be some guy who just got real mad on the drive to work and beat guys up at a hockey game.

Goof Troop was awesome and it worked for such an odd concept :colbert:

I think Tazmania was WB's attempt to mimic Goof Troop, allthough the entire premesis was that the Family was a normal sitcom family but Taz was still Taz and you had no idea what he was saying ever. You pretty much relied on the other characetrs to interpit what Taz was saying. I don't remember Tazmania ever being terrible or having an episode that made you feel liek you watched the worst thing ever though.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 29, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pretty much.

If I'm any example though, I think most of us are more familiar with the latter years' Bugs designs, though stuff like Space Jam/etc. I remember even when I was a kid and watched Looney Tunes I'd still get a little jarred when the old Bugs cartoons came on.

Then of course you've got this retarded bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJUfbd-NXo

Vaerai Archon posted:

Goof Troop was awesome and it worked for such an odd concept :colbert:

Oh I'm not saying I didn't end up liking it, I'm just saying it took me a long time to warm up to it because it was so out of the element for Goofy. I think the only Disney Afternoon show I actually hated was Bonkers.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 29, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Pretty much.

If I'm any example though, I think most of us are more familiar with the latter years' Bugs designs, though stuff like Space Jam/etc. I remember even when I was a kid and watched Looney Tunes I'd still get a little jarred when the old Bugs cartoons came on.

Then of course you've got this retarded bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJUfbd-NXo

Oh I'm not saying I didn't end up liking it, I'm just saying it took me a long time to warm up to it because it was so out of the element for Goofy. I think the only Disney Afternoon show I actually hated was Bonkers.

God I already forgot about Loonatics. That makes this new show look incredible by comparison.

No one I know has ever heard of the Disney Afternoon. So it makes me happy to see people here bringing it up :unsmith: Though I loved Bonkers. The only one I didn't really like was the Mighty Ducks cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIHLu9Zckk :dance:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vaerai Archon posted:

I think Tazmania was WB's attempt to mimic Goof Troop, allthough the entire premesis was that the Family was a normal sitcom family but Taz was still Taz and you had no idea what he was saying ever. You pretty much relied on the other characetrs to interpit what Taz was saying. I don't remember Tazmania ever being terrible or having an episode that made you feel liek you watched the worst thing ever though.

Taz-Mania started in 1991, Goof Troop debuted in 1992. So maybe the other way around? Or a happy coincidence. I didn't give Taz-Mania a lot of thought as a kid - I watched it, but it certainly wasn't my favorite - but now I remember it being pretty solid. Could just be nostalgia, though, but there's no denying how catchy the theme song was.

Macaluso posted:

Though I loved Bonkers.

My favorite thing about Bonkers was how Animaniacs went out of their way to name drop it a couple of times, and never in a positive way. It was an early introduction to metatextual humor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Macaluso posted:

No one I know has ever heard of the Disney Afternoon. So it makes me happy to see people here bringing it up :unsmith: Though I loved Bonkers. The only one I didn't really like was the Mighty Ducks cartoon.

I basically grew up on Disney Afternoon. Though to be fair I did pretty much stop watching it in like 1995 or whenever they added Gargoyles and the Mighty Ducks cartoon.

But Gummi Bears, Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, DuckTales were basically staples of my childhood. Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop took me a while to warm up to, but I watched them. I never liked Gargoyles, Bonkers, or whatever else they pumped out though. I think Aladdin had a TV show too maybe? And then they added some Timon and Pumbaa show that I watched maybe an episode of.

I recently watched a bunch of DuckTales, and I was a little disappointed to see it hadn't aged as well as I hoped. It was still enjoyable, but a lot rougher around the edges than I remember. Much like a lot of TV from my childhood, it's probably best remembered through a kid's eyes.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I think The Looney Tunes show has a little promise.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 30, 2011

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It's hard to be optimistic considering how badly Warner Bros. has mishandled the property over the last 15 years or so, but the new Looney Tunes show actually looks somewhat promising. Just based on the previews it seems like they're at least going in a good direction with Daffy's characterization.

Martytoof posted:

I recently watched a bunch of DuckTales, and I was a little disappointed to see it hadn't aged as well as I hoped. It was still enjoyable, but a lot rougher around the edges than I remember. Much like a lot of TV from my childhood, it's probably best remembered through a kid's eyes.
Apparently a new DuckTales comic book is about to launch, featuring writing by Warren Spector of Epic Mickey fame. Here's hoping its the first of a full-scale DuckTales relaunch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

thelaughingman posted:

I think The Looney Tunes show has a little promise promise.

This was really funny, but so far it feels like most of the laughs I've had were at the humans' reactions to how absurd the Looney Tunes are being. I mean that's not a BAD thing, it's just something I noticed.

J-Spot posted:

Apparently a new DuckTales comic book is about to launch, featuring writing by Warren Spector of Epic Mickey fame. Here's hoping its the first of a full-scale DuckTales relaunch.

I'm kind of excited to hear this. I'd like to see a relaunch of DuckTales, I just hope they do better than Quack Pack, which -- to be fair -- wasn't really a Duck Tales relaunch as it was just Donald and his explicably overhauled Nephews

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 30, 2011

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I actually really like what I've seen of the new Looney Tunes show. It's definitely not the same style of humor as the originals, but it doesn't really seem like it's trying to be- it reminds me more of Animaniacs than classic Looney Tunes.

Even if it's not very good I'll probably end up watching it anyway. I'm a huge sucker for the kind of sardonic, dialog-based humor they've been using in the clips.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thelaughingman posted:

I think The Looney Tunes show has a little promise promise.

For some reason, that seems like an Aqua Teen Hunger Force clip, starring Daffy Duck as Master Shake.

e: I am not opposed to this.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was not happy about the announcement of the Looney Toons show, but every clip I see makes me like it more, so.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
There's something just a little bit... weird about the whole thing to me still, but I admit each clip shared has been funnier and funnier. I can't pinpoint why I feel a little unnerved. The empty streets? The way the human characters are drawn and interact with the tunes? I don't know. I'll give it a shot, though. I'm convinced.

My favorite Loony Thing was still the movie where Daffy opens a monster hunting shop (it's basically an extended clipshow) and advertises "vampires evaporated, monsters remonstrated", etc.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Digital Scumbag posted:

There's something just a little bit... weird about the whole thing to me still, but I admit each clip shared has been funnier and funnier. I can't pinpoint why I feel a little unnerved. The empty streets? The way the human characters are drawn and interact with the tunes? I don't know. I'll give it a shot, though. I'm convinced.

My favorite Loony Thing was still the movie where Daffy opens a monster hunting shop (it's basically an extended clipshow) and advertises "vampires evaporated, monsters remonstrated", etc.

Honestly Animaniacs had people drawn to scale with the cartoon characters and did interact with them as well. After watching the whole mailman pepperspray bit it does have the same vibe as animaniacs. Granted it may be lacking equivlents of something like Pinky and the Brain, but the humor is clearly there and it works. It's not dated nor talking down to the audiance, it's actually got chemestry going for it.

If it ever dares venture into the far off magical realms of bizzarre and random humor, I would be all for that too. Ever since Freakazoid ended there has been a void that needs filling, I'm not sure what shape the void is or how deep it goes, but throwing stuff in there until it's full will probably work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

However, I just saw some of the Merrie Melodies segments and HOO BOY they're bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzpIXG8W8Y

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

However, I just saw some of the Merrie Melodies segments and HOO BOY they're bad.

I like them :shobon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_IPrcEj18&feature=related

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Digital Scumbag posted:

I don't mind the redesigns much, but Bugs being so close to his original yet a little off makes him look like a terrible Bugs tattoo, mall airbrushed t-shirt, or the side of some knockoff amusement park ride.
It's not even that the art is bad or anything! It's just like the "redesign" is so close to the original, my brain just registers as someone attempting to capture the likeness of the original and failing! I am dumb.

A cartoon uncanny valley?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Martytoof posted:

I think that their shortcomings mostly come from the terrible awkward lyrics. I think if they spoofed actual current songs instead, it might work better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I mean I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not expecting everything they'll do will be solid gold. There were lovely episodes of a lot of my favourite TV shows.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Vaerai Archon posted:

I think that their shortcomings mostly come from the terrible awkward lyrics. I think if they spoofed actual current songs instead, it might work better.

I think it's also just an awkward stylistic fit in the two videos that have been posted; Yosemite Sam and Marvin the Martian don't have voices that lend themselves to what is basically rap.

I think a lot of the strangeness I get from watching the clips comes from the humor being really verbal as opposed to mostly slapstick; it's like watching footage of the Three Stooges doing a Noel Coward reading or something. It's not that it's done poorly, it's just... odd. I keep waiting for someone to pull out the stick of lit dynamite.

HypnoCabbage fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 31, 2011

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is better than the Yosemite Sam one, which I had to turn off after about 30 seconds. Still not terribly good.

edit: Obviously, this show isn't gonna live up to the old shorts (I'm of the opinion that nothing ever will, Looney Tunes are the loving best), but it looks good for what it is.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 31, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've heard nothing about this new Looney Tunes remake, so after seeing that picture of the characters in the show, it made me think: why is Lola Bunny in there? I thought that she was something that Warner Brothers wanted to forget.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess if we get a new girl-Daffy we might as well get Lola back.

Which makes me wonder if girl-Daffy will be as crazy as Daffy is, or if they'll go the stereotypical route and make her some kind of "voice of wisdom" type of character.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh God, I completely didn't notice the girl Daffy in that picture until I checked it again :suicide:

I hope that she's a female version of Daffy. You can never have enough Daffy.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: Obviously, this show isn't gonna live up to the old shorts (I'm of the opinion that nothing ever will, Looney Tunes are the loving best), but it looks good for what it is.

I don't know, I've seen almost all of the old shorts, and allready I'm finding this show funnier than anything that has been produced with the Loony Toons in decades.

It may not be driven by world events like some of the old black and white ones, but they're actually funny instead of neutered, like how the Loony Toons became later on.

HypnoCabbage posted:

I think a lot of the strangeness I get from watching the clips comes from the humor being really verbal as opposed to mostly slapstick; it's like watching footage of the Three Stooges doing a Noel Coward reading or something. It's not that it's done poorly, it's just... odd. I keep waiting for someone to pull out the stick of lit dynamite.

If you watch the Ghost short, they're playing on people to expect what they've seen for years and years and then pulling the carpet out from under them. When bugs wears a bedsheet to disguise himself as a ghost it's been done before numerious times and they're setting it up that Yosemite Sam is going to be afraid of the poor disguise. But then when he finally sees the supposed "ghost" he doesn't get scared nor fooled, he rips the costume off of Bugs and tells him to stop fooling around because there is a REAL ghost about.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 31, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

I've heard nothing about this new Looney Tunes remake, so after seeing that picture of the characters in the show, it made me think: why is Lola Bunny in there? I thought that she was something that Warner Brothers wanted to forget.

I'm pretty sure Lola has been used in almost every Looney Tunes thing that came out after Space Jam besides Back in Action (which was very good). I don't think WB has any plans to forget Lola.

Martytoof posted:

I guess if we get a new girl-Daffy we might as well get Lola back.

Which makes me wonder if girl-Daffy will be as crazy as Daffy is, or if they'll go the stereotypical route and make her some kind of "voice of wisdom" type of character.

I imagine she'll probably be like Daisy Duck. It would be funny if she was just like Daffy, but I don't see that happening for some reason. And speaking of Daffy, do more people prefer the crazy WOO HOO HOO A HOO HOO Daffy or the manipulative always-trying-one-up-bugs Daffy? Because I personally love the latter way more. The Duck Season/Rabbit Season cartoons were some of the funniest ever in my opinion.

RELATED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbYbc2IVqVg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

According to Girl Daffy's profile, she looks kinda like a goth and Daffy is dating her because he "loves a project" so I imagine she's a bit more 'alternative' than Daffy/Bugs/Lola

I feel retarded writing this holy poo poo.