Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

The dj mixes thread is over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3049995

This thread is for discussion of gear/technique/etc

speaking of technique yours and chrix's vids are awesome, keep it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I just finished modifying my case and I ended up with more extra room than I had anticipated. I am thinking about filling the empty slot with a midi controller to load effect presets. The controller needs to be around the same size and orientation as the X1 but no larger than 5x13". I only need around 12 buttons. 4 for each FX panel and around 8 for the presets. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a photo to get an idea what I have to work with:

edit: I use the maschine for samples. It takes a lot more prep but it gives me the ability to turn my two sample decks into track decks and have a lot more samples on hand.

The s4 controls decks A+B and FX1+2 while the X1 does C+D and FX 3+4. Having dedicated controls just makes life easier.

tehk fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 25, 2011

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
That's pretty sick dude. What do you use the Maschine for?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

tehk posted:

I just finished modifying my case and I ended up with more extra room than I had anticipated. I am thinking about filling the empty slot with a midi controller to load effect presets. The controller needs to be around the same size and orientation as the X1 but no larger than 5x13". I only need around 12 buttons. 4 for each FX panel and around 8 for the presets. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a photo to get an idea what I have to work with:

edit: I use the maschine for samples. It takes a lot more prep but it gives me the ability to turn my two sample decks into track decks and have a lot more samples on hand.

The s4 controls decks A+B and FX1+2 while the X1 does C+D and FX 3+4. Having dedicated controls just makes life easier.

I'm working towards getting that exact same setup. A few questions. What's the sound card for? Doesn't the S4 have it's own soundcard? Also, do you think you could possibly run through how you built this? I'm wondering what case you used so I could possibly get a similar sized one.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

The Dark Wind posted:

I'm working towards getting that exact same setup. A few questions. What's the sound card for? Doesn't the S4 have it's own soundcard? Also, do you think you could possibly run through how you built this? I'm wondering what case you used so I could possibly get a similar sized one.

I use the M-Audio 8x8 and s4 as a aggregate audio device. It allows me to do internal audio routing and it is nice to have tons of flexibility on hand.

The case is the black label glide style Odyssey ns7 case. I removed the keyboard tray and placed my hard drive, powered USB hub, and audio interface where it was. I used spare foam to secure the s4 and x1 so they stay still during transit. Finally I drilled holes for phono couplers on the back so I don't have to lift my s4 to attach cables. I might do the same for power if I can get ahold of a powercon panel port.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
A couple weeks ago I bought two CDJ900s and a DJM600 and holy poo poo am I enjoying them. I'm already beatmatching pretty accurately and looping on the fly. Playing all my music off a portable hard drive is the only way to do it. I'm in love with the CDJs but I'm not attached to the mixer. I DJed with Live and an APC40 in the past but I got sick of warping all my tracks and needing to hook up my laptop and restart it to just play a loving song. I spend all day at work in front of a computer and its the last thing I want to do when I get home. I'll put a mix on soundcloud and link to it in the DJ mixes thread sometime in the next month or so.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

tehk posted:

You could stick a korg nano in there battle-style for like $50

edit: that case looks like the perfect size for my non-standard sized midi keyboard and I have been having a bitch of a time finding a case for it, I'll have to look up the dimensions and maybe pick one up :)

Meatsplosion fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 26, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I think I'm gonna jump from Serato to the new version of Traktor 2 next month. The new version of Traktor really outdates Serato's feature set. I really like the soft synching feature along with the ability to use the X1 and Maschine.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
If they got rid of having to beatgrid every single track before you could even look at the sync meters, I may give it a shot. That was my biggest problem with using Traktor Scratch Pro. I may give it a shot anyway, the upgrade from TSP is only $80.

Also the MIDI control of Scratch Live with the X1 isn't terrible. It works pretty well for me.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

TheWevel posted:

If they got rid of having to beatgrid every single track before you could even look at the sync meters, I may give it a shot. That was my biggest problem with using Traktor Scratch Pro. I may give it a shot anyway, the upgrade from TSP is only $80.

Also the MIDI control of Scratch Live with the X1 isn't terrible. It works pretty well for me.

My midi settings on serato for my x1 are constantly being knocked out/clashing. Its really annoying and the only solution is to delete the midi folder and let serato recreate.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So, I think I'm ready to move to the next level and invest more seriously in some DJ gear. I should have about a budget of about $2000 to work on, more or less. I'm still trying to decide between CDJs of some sort or the kontrol S4 + traktor and get a few other toys with the remaining money. I plan on djing some house parties with top 40 and dubstep type stuff, and eventually moving towards clubs and playing house music of different sorts. I know in most clubs CDJs are the standard, so ideally I'd want to learn on those. I've heard a couple of stories of people not getting jobs because of controllers and what not, and I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible. I live in the north east if it matters. What I'm wondering is, what route should I go for? I know CDJs are more expensive, but with a budget of $2000 what kind of setup could I get that'll hopefully last me for a long time?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

The Dark Wind posted:

So, I think I'm ready to move to the next level and invest more seriously in some DJ gear. I should have about a budget of about $2000 to work on, more or less. I'm still trying to decide between CDJs of some sort or the kontrol S4 + traktor and get a few other toys with the remaining money. I plan on djing some house parties with top 40 and dubstep type stuff, and eventually moving towards clubs and playing house music of different sorts. I know in most clubs CDJs are the standard, so ideally I'd want to learn on those. I've heard a couple of stories of people not getting jobs because of controllers and what not, and I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible. I live in the north east if it matters. What I'm wondering is, what route should I go for? I know CDJs are more expensive, but with a budget of $2000 what kind of setup could I get that'll hopefully last me for a long time?

I'd say

2 x http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/DJ/CD-DVD-Media-Players/CDJ-800MK2+-+Refurbished

($800)

+

Traktor/Serato/etc

(~$400)

+

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=10395&mid=399&lbs=12

($329)

=

$1529

or you could be a Real Dude DJ and get Techs. I got my mk2s for $700 in November

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
There's no reason to buy CDJs to use as controllers for your first DJ setup. I'd just go with the CDJs and a mixer. I can't say enough good things about not relying on my laptop for DJing. When you come home with a song stuck in your head do you really want to have to hook up a bunch of cables and restart your laptop to play some music? And do you really want to unhook and restart your laptop every time you want to use it on your couch? I found myself not DJing much because it was such a pain in the rear end.

That looks like a hell of a price for CDJ800 mk2s but if you go with one of the newer CDJ models (350, 850, 900, 2000) you can play music off a portable hard drive which is super convenient. If you're serious about playing out at clubs then you'll probably need to burn tons of CDs anyway, but being able to basically drag and drop files to a turntable is loving fantastic. If you just want to play music off a laptop then buy a controller. Otherwise you're paying for tons of audio functionality that you're not using. That's not to mention the cost of a laptop if your current one isn't up to the task. You can always go and buy serato or traktor later if you want to open that can of worms.

Melee, do you have any more gigs in SF? I ended up going to see Cassian the night of your previous one.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Dopo posted:

There's no reason to buy CDJs to use as controllers for your first DJ setup. I'd just go with the CDJs and a mixer. I can't say enough good things about not relying on my laptop for DJing. When you come home with a song stuck in your head do you really want to have to hook up a bunch of cables and restart your laptop to play some music? And do you really want to unhook and restart your laptop every time you want to use it on your couch? I found myself not DJing much because it was such a pain in the rear end.

That looks like a hell of a price for CDJ800 mk2s but if you go with one of the newer CDJ models (350, 850, 900, 2000) you can play music off a portable hard drive which is super convenient. If you're serious about playing out at clubs then you'll probably need to burn tons of CDs anyway, but being able to basically drag and drop files to a turntable is loving fantastic. If you just want to play music off a laptop then buy a controller. Otherwise you're paying for tons of audio functionality that you're not using. That's not to mention the cost of a laptop if your current one isn't up to the task. You can always go and buy serato or traktor later if you want to open that can of worms.

Melee, do you have any more gigs in SF? I ended up going to see Cassian the night of your previous one.

I'm playing a live remix set at B412 in Palo Alto on April 16th.. That's all I have so far. I don't really play out much because I'm bad at networking.

Anyway, the reason I recommend 800's is because they have the same feel as the more expensive ones you're going to see when you move up to the clubs. Luckily most of the places I've been going have had both, but for your at-home and mobile install, it's great to have what's in the clubs to practice on. CDJ-900s are expensive as gently caress though, and I've seen a ton of 57SL's and Serato/Traktor setups in general at 99% of the clubs. The only place I haven't seen them is at some of the hipster electro nights where everyone shows up with a different piece of technology. Playing off of a flash drive or hard drive isn't worth it at $1500 a piece or whatever they are.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So would it be a smarter idea overall to invest in CDJs? So far I've just used Traktor with a Mixtrack, but I want to move up, and I wouldn't be too upset if I had to forego being digital, although I'm wondering if that's practical. I want quality, widely accepted gear that'll last me for a while, so I'm willing to shell out a couple of extra bucks to get some of the upper-tier CDJs as well as a decent mixer. Is that a good idea at all? I'm still getting used to the pace at which this industry moves in, so I'm not entirely sure on which direction to move in.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

The Dark Wind posted:

So would it be a smarter idea overall to invest in CDJs?

Nope

quote:

So far I've just used Traktor with a Mixtrack, but I want to move up, and I wouldn't be too upset if I had to forego being digital, although I'm wondering if that's practical. I want quality, widely accepted gear that'll last me for a while, so I'm willing to shell out a couple of extra bucks to get some of the upper-tier CDJs as well as a decent mixer. Is that a good idea at all? I'm still getting used to the pace at which this industry moves in, so I'm not entirely sure on which direction to move in.

Industry standard hasn't existed since 2003, use what you think will work best for you. Grab a midi controller of some sort that you like is the best advice I can give you.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think the idea that controllers aren't used by professionals is really old fashioned as plenty of famous dj's like Jooris Voorn, Umek, and Carl Cox amongst others are going the controller only route with traktor. I'd say don't worry so much about what equipment you THINK you should get and go with what you actually want to use and feel most comfortable with like OG said.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dopo posted:

I took delivery of a set of 350s last Friday and I'm really really appreciating the USB option, I've got a few USB sticks and using the Rekordbox software to analyse my music and transfer playlists etc, it's beyond easy. Rekordbox is a fantastic piece of code.

I skipped the controller/laptop option as I'd need to pick up a decent laptop and controller at which point I'm into CDJ territory anyway... That and the shop I bought them from upgraded me to the LTD Edition white ones for no extra cash. :fap:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 29, 2011

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Dopo posted:

Counterpoint: Do you really want to spend literally hours burning, labeling, and organizing CDs every time you get new music? This was the main thing that pushed me to using a DVS

Like others have said, go with what you are most comfortable with, not what you think you "need" to use to be legit or whatever.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, I was just saying that if you're going to use a DVS then I'd just get a controller and not bother with the CDJs at all. Or you can go the other route and not bother with the DVS.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Alright question time.

It says in the OP that its suggested you grab a midi controller first, cool, I can do that.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/korg-nanokontrol-usb-midi-controller-black.html

This is in the OP and it looks pretty nice, so I think I'm gonna get this soonish.

For audio output, my laptop is like all others in that I have speakers and a single headphone jack. Will buying
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S5Q2EK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2JP8H9SSVETMS
allow me to cue songs with one out from my laptops 1/8" jack and another out from the Numark going to my speakers, which use a 1/8" -> RCA adapter? Or, if that don't work, can I just use RCA outs on the Numark straight to my receiver?

Finally, for babbys first mixer:
http://www.amazon.com/Numark-MIXTRACK-PRO/dp/B00466HLWO/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I7CVSMYIOYMPD&colid=771Z059DH3O1
Has a soundcard built in, but I'm guessing that having a soundcard separate of the mixer could be much more useful.
http://www.amazon.com/Numark-Total-Control-Software-Controller/dp/B000QS76QC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1G44J3J8D9G7L&colid=771Z059DH3O1
Wasn't entirely sure on the differences between these three, so I figure'd I'd ask.
http://www.amazon.com/Numark-MIXTRACK-DJ-Software-Controller/dp/B003UVASTO/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1ZZ53VH0QTN0B&colid=771Z059DH3O1
Here's the one without the soundcard.

They all seem like real loving steals, but I'm obviously gonna bow to your expertise in this.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Longtiem posted:

Alright question time.

It says in the OP that its suggested you grab a midi controller first, cool, I can do that.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/korg-nanokontrol-usb-midi-controller-black.html
That is indeed a MIDI controller. You shouldn't shop for a controller until you know what you want to be controlling though.

Longtiem posted:

This is in the OP and it looks pretty nice, so I think I'm gonna get this soonish.

For audio output, my laptop is like all others in that I have speakers and a single headphone jack. Will buying
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S5Q2EK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2JP8H9SSVETMS
allow me to cue songs with one out from my laptops 1/8" jack and another out from the Numark going to my speakers, which use a 1/8" -> RCA adapter? Or, if that don't work, can I just use RCA outs on the Numark straight to my receiver?
You don't want to try to use your laptop's onboard audio while you use an external audio interface. That is why you need to shop for an audio interface with at least two stereo (or four mono) outputs. You need two channels for the speakers and two for the headphones. This one that you posted will do the trick, but you could also pick up a controller or mixer with a soundcard which would make it unnecessary.

Longtiem posted:

Finally, for babbys first mixer:
http://www.amazon.com/Numark-MIXTRACK-PRO/dp/B00466HLWO/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I7CVSMYIOYMPD&colid=771Z059DH3O1
Has a soundcard built in, but I'm guessing that having a soundcard separate of the mixer could be much more useful.
http://www.amazon.com/Numark-Total-Control-Software-Controller/dp/B000QS76QC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1G44J3J8D9G7L&colid=771Z059DH3O1
Wasn't entirely sure on the differences between these three, so I figure'd I'd ask.
http://www.amazon.com/Numark-MIXTRACK-DJ-Software-Controller/dp/B003UVASTO/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1ZZ53VH0QTN0B&colid=771Z059DH3O1
Here's the one without the soundcard.

They all seem like real loving steals, but I'm obviously gonna bow to your expertise in this.
These aren't mixers, they're controllers. These controllers are designed to control, among other things, the mixing features of DJ software. The difference is that a real mixer performs the audio work on a hardware level. Some mixers can function as your computer's audio interface as well. If you get a controller or mixer with an internal soundcard you don't need another audio interface.

You're thinking about this all in the wrong order. Decide what software you want to use first. I'm not a software expert, and the choice will depend on your laptop's hardware and what your goals are.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for the info and clarification. I'm gonna stick with Traktor, I think. Win 7 x64 for what its worth.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've never actually worn earplugs before but it's time that I do. Do earplugs (like the ones suggested in the OP) get in the way of headphones when djing? If they do, what are some recommended earplugs best suited for djing?

Either way I'm going to get a pair of the ones in the OP for when I go a festival or loud club. I've learned my lesson.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

net work error posted:

I've never actually worn earplugs before but it's time that I do. Do earplugs (like the ones suggested in the OP) get in the way of headphones when djing? If they do, what are some recommended earplugs best suited for djing?

Either way I'm going to get a pair of the ones in the OP for when I go a festival or loud club. I've learned my lesson.

As someone that plays out somewhat regularly, i think that the Etymotic earplugs are the best you can get without gettin custom ones. They are only like $10 bucks a pair, so I would buy a couple pairs off of amazon. Be careful though, they come in 3 distinct sizes and on Amazon are deceptively labeled. There are the small ones (blue), regular (white), and large (white), just make sure you read the fine print.

When I first started using them I thought they would get in the way of DJing, but honestly most of the time if you are playing out at anything louder than your bedroom, you will hear everything just fine through the Earplugs. Start practicing with them on until you get used to them.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I don't usually wear my earplugs when playing, just when out and about in the club otherwise.

I always keep my booth and headphone volume turned down as much as possible while still being able to hear what I'm doing.

Longterm I want to get custom molded ones so I can wear them fulltime while playing too, but the etymotics just get in the way a bit too much because of the nubby bit that sticks out of the ear

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It appears that Traktor 2 is available for download now. I'll probably upgrade to it in a few weeks...apparently the servers are hammered at the moment.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

TheWevel posted:

It appears that Traktor 2 is available for download now. I'll probably upgrade to it in a few weeks...apparently the servers are hammered at the moment.

Also if S4 users try and use their voucher it stops you at checkout with something like "Product is restricted to certain user groups" but the email claims it is currently available for download. Perhaps they were sending out the vouchers a day early so that they are not interrupted by the retail downloads hammering the server.

I ended up ordering a midi fighter to fill the space in my case. Now I am thinking of using it for beat juggling and using the s4/x1's cue buttons for binding fx presets.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

:siren: Traktor 2 owns :siren:

I hope this lights a fire under the rear end of the workers at Serato, in meantime though I'm gonna pick up Traktor Scratch Pro 2.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I hope this lights a fire under the rear end of the workers at Serato, in meantime though I'm gonna pick up Traktor Scratch Pro 2.

So far, it is loving nuts. The ONLY thing I don't like is that the sample player has no phase control-Traktor gets the sample tempo/sync right 90% of the time (EVEN ON HIP HOP NOW!!! :dance: ) but if the phase is off, you can't really correct it very easily unless you try triggering it again or mess with the pitch bend of your master track. As well, would have liked the ability to break down samples within the player. Then again, for a first sampler they kind of nailed the basics and then some.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Well looks like I'll be buying the upgrade on Friday then :)

edit: NI's website is completely down right now. TP2 must be *really* popular at the moment

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 31, 2011

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

What makes it better than Scratch Live? I've used both and kind of prefer SL but I'd like to know the capabilities compared to Scratch Live.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

net work error posted:

What makes it better than Scratch Live? I've used both and kind of prefer SL but I'd like to know the capabilities compared to Scratch Live.

I could write paragraphs, but I would reccomend downloading the demo from the website and seeing for yourself. In short, they really nailed alot of things that Serato does well that they didn't before and then accomplished a lot of the things Serato 2.0/Bridge are still iffy on.

For reference, I strongly disliked Traktor before Traktor 2.0

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
Does anyone know if there has been an ableton dj (not production)/"controllerism" thread? I had a promoter give me poo poo today because of my ableton set up, and it made me more determined to make my set-up even more awesome.

we can share pictures and techniques it would be super fun!!!!

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I would love a thread about Ableton DJing. I feel like this thread is mostly traktor dominated.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
yeah, i'm going to write one up. djing with ableton is a whole different ballgame

email me at louiethecuban [at] gmail.com if you want something to contribute in the controllerism/ableton dj thread

beeps-a-palooza fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 31, 2011

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

LouietheCuban posted:

yeah, i'm going to write one up. djing with ableton is a whole different ballgame

email me at louiethecuban [at] gmail.com if you want something to contribute in the controllerism/ableton dj thread

That's awesome. I personally find the concept of Ableton much more interesting. I wish I could contribute in some way, but I'm still learning the ropes. :eng99:

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

LouietheCuban posted:

Does anyone know if there has been an ableton dj (not production)/"controllerism" thread? I had a promoter give me poo poo today because of my ableton set up, and it made me more determined to make my set-up even more awesome.

we can share pictures and techniques it would be super fun!!!!

It's probably because Ableton DJs do either one of two things: Blow the set up or bomb out and chances are if you're not a producer doing music festivals its usually the latter. Ableton just isn't flexible in a club environment which demands fast and speedy mixing.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I could write paragraphs, but I would reccomend downloading the demo from the website and seeing for yourself. In short, they really nailed alot of things that Serato does well that they didn't before and then accomplished a lot of the things Serato 2.0/Bridge are still iffy on.

For reference, I strongly disliked Traktor before Traktor 2.0

I don't use any controllers (CDJ's and mixer setup simply pulling music from SL in absolute mode) when I mix so do you think these new features would benefit people with that type f setup? Either way I'll download the demo and give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

net work error posted:

I don't use any controllers (CDJ's and mixer setup simply pulling music from SL in absolute mode) when I mix so do you think these new features would benefit people with that type f setup? Either way I'll download the demo and give it a shot.

If you mix house or any other type of EDM, then not using Traktor is dumb IMO.