Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Captain Charisma posted:

So speaking of manchildren, Cyanogen is a huge one!

A site called TalkAndroid posted this article about how a few people have said that CM7 is causing their phones to go into a boot loop and it is also impossible to get to recovery: http://www.talkandroid.com/34793-is-cm7-wrecking-phones/

While I think that was very unprofessional of Cyanogen (and anyone working on CyanogenMod), I haven't heard an outcry from any of the "more experienced" people who root, so I'm not terribly worried about it right now.

quote:

As a root user you accepted that you might screw up your phone from the beginning

I agree with that statement 100% though.

CombatMedic posted:

I tried nightly 31 a couple days ago, and it completely borked my video recording on my EVO. Still pictures would take just fine, but when I switched to video, it would record for 2-3 seconds, then freeze up. Switching back to RC2 fixed it.

I hope that is fixed for RC3.

Weird. Works just fine for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Captain Charisma posted:

So speaking of manchildren, Cyanogen is a huge one!

Are you deliberately leaving out the less "manchildish" tweets? Even his more eye-rolling tweets are tame compared to how he's reacted to similar poo poo in the past. And don't forget his very admirable reaction to the Google C&D he received.

Is it the language he's using that some of you are rolling your eyes to or his entire position? He's right, this is a custom rom from a group of people who are doing this for fun. You run the risk of bricking your phone. That's the shakes. While I consider poo poo like "I wrecked your mom" to be a really lame, I'm not expecting some rom group leader to dish out business language and jargon in response to criticism. It's his honest and realistic attitude that I and others appreciate, and this sort of goofy poo poo goes with it.

But if you look at all the tweets, he's not in the middle of a manchild poo poo fit as is being implied here. He's making lame jokes while defending his product, while also admitting they could do better.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Am trying to root my t-mobile mytouch 4g (2.2.1).

All of the instructions I see are from December. Is that because they're really good and didn't need to be changed since then, or are they old? the one I'm going to go with is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=858996

The reason I want to root it is to use foreign simcards (am on vacation on the other side of the world) in my phone, and when I insert other simcards I am not prompted for an unlock code (and I have it... I have never been prompted to enter it!) so I wanna root and turn off sim lock.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

vinic posted:

Is it the language he's using that some of you are rolling your eyes to or his entire position? He's right, this is a custom rom from a group of people who are doing this for fun.

Would it be too hard to simply say "that sucks, we'll look into it but you shouldn't hack your phone if you're not willing to deal with a brick!" instead of a manchild response like that?

Basically, this is the reason twitter is a loving lovely idea. People don't need to try and get to know the personality behind everyone and everything and this is one of those times where everyone would be better off not knowing the guy behind your phone rom is kind of a douchey anti-social manbaby.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
He ended up removing the tweet(s) in question and apologized:

quote:

@TalkAndroid sorry for the personal attack. just frustrated with many things right now.

Still, it was pretty childish to tweet that in the first place.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Dammit. I've been trying to install Android Debug Bridge and ADB isn't showing up in my Device Manager. Despite having installed SDK and updating it I can't get the prompt to work. Any ideas? I've been having so much trouble getting a custom ROM installed on my Optimus P500 that I'm thinking of just giving up on the whole thing. :(

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 28, 2011

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

CombatMedic posted:

I tried nightly 31 a couple days ago, and it completely borked my video recording on my EVO. Still pictures would take just fine, but when I switched to video, it would record for 2-3 seconds, then freeze up. Switching back to RC2 fixed it.

I had this problem with N29 and N30. But it was fixed with a fresh install of N31. Did you try clearing cache/data in the camera app?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

melon cat posted:

Dammit. I've been trying to install Android Debug Bridge and ADB isn't showing up in my Device Manager. Despite having installed SDK and updating it I can't get the prompt to work. Any ideas? I've been having so much trouble getting a custom ROM installed on my Optimus P500 that I'm thinking of just giving up on the whole thing. :(

If you're on Windows, you don't "install" ADB as much as navigate to the directory it's in in the SDK directory and run it from the command prompt.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

melon cat posted:

It doesn't exactly get "installed." You know how you can find various programs made "portable" so they go on a USB stick and poo poo? This is like that. There's no installation process, the program is either in runtime or not - just pop open a shell (windows key + r, type cmd, hit enter) and then use cd to get to the directory where your SDK is located, go to the tools folder, and then you can do all those "adb blah blah blah" commands. I recommend putting it somewhere like in the root directory of your hard drive, so it's easier to find.

The ADB program, when run from a double-click doesn't do much of anything because it basically serves to push commands/files from your shell onto the phone. Thus, double clicking adb.exe will just pop open a shell window and then close it - no arguments were presented with the run command. So, just use the terminal window and feel terrifically old-school.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CombatMedic posted:

It was fixed the next day.

redreader posted:

Am trying to root my t-mobile mytouch 4g (2.2.1).

All of the instructions I see are from December. Is that because they're really good and didn't need to be changed since then, or are they old? the one I'm going to go with is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=858996

The reason I want to root it is to use foreign simcards (am on vacation on the other side of the world) in my phone, and when I insert other simcards I am not prompted for an unlock code (and I have it... I have never been prompted to enter it!) so I wanna root and turn off sim lock.
This looks the same as the guide for the G2 that I used, but you might want to find out from some other MT4G owners if anything has changed since then. I'm not really up on what software has been pushed to the MT4G. Maybe ask in the xda thread?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 28, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Entire Universe posted:

It doesn't exactly get "installed." You know how you can find various programs made "portable" so they go on a USB stick and poo poo? This is like that. There's no installation process, the program is either in runtime or not - just pop open a shell (windows key + r, type cmd, hit enter) and then use cd to get to the directory where your SDK is located, go to the tools folder, and then you can do all those "adb blah blah blah" commands. I recommend putting it somewhere like in the root directory of your hard drive, so it's easier to find.

The ADB program, when run from a double-click doesn't do much of anything because it basically serves to push commands/files from your shell onto the phone. Thus, double clicking adb.exe will just pop open a shell window and then close it - no arguments were presented with the run command. So, just use the terminal window and feel terrifically old-school.

You have to install the Drivers, which are also labeled ADB in Device Manager.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I've tried to get Cyanogen7 running on my incredible a few times now, and even with a complete wipe and install the CM7 splash image just cycles forever on the phone, it never actually gets to the point where you can use CM7.

I was able to load CM6 without an issue, but went back to stock (didn't back up my apps properly to restore them).

Has anyone had an issue with this happening to them?

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

DigitalMocking posted:

I've tried to get Cyanogen7 running on my incredible a few times now, and even with a complete wipe and install the CM7 splash image just cycles forever on the phone, it never actually gets to the point where you can use CM7.

I was able to load CM6 without an issue, but went back to stock (didn't back up my apps properly to restore them).

Has anyone had an issue with this happening to them?

Which phone?

On my Optimus One I had to wipe /system before flashing, otherwise it just looped at boot.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

NOBEARD posted:

Which phone?

On my Optimus One I had to wipe /system before flashing, otherwise it just looped at boot.

HTC Incredible.

I just installed the latest CM7 daily and its working like an absolute charm. Just one of those things I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NOBEARD posted:

Which phone?

I'm gonna bet it's "on his incredible".

Does the Inc require a new recovery for CM7?

Edit: Welp, nevermind then.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

I'm gonna bet it's "on his incredible".

Uh yeah, apparently I can't read.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
MT4G is now officially part of MIUI-Dev, gonna give it a shot from CM7

http://www.miui-dev.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?45-HTC-MyTouch-4G

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

MT4G is now officially part of MIUI-Dev, gonna give it a shot from CM7

http://www.miui-dev.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?45-HTC-MyTouch-4G

Mark just gave a forum to the existing MIUI port. It's alright, the only real issue I have in terms of stability is screen on/off animations freezing the phone up on occasion.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is a CM RC more up to date than a nightly from the same time period, or is the RC "frozen" code from days/weeks ago?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Is a CM RC more up to date than a nightly from the same time period, or is the RC "frozen" code from days/weeks ago?

I believe it's more up to date as opposed to frozen code. This isn't Firefox or anything.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Skeezy posted:

I believe it's more up to date as opposed to frozen code. This isn't Firefox or anything.

No. RCs are just nightlies that they named RC, more or less - a nightly from later will be more up to date.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
SMB mounting.

Hi all this may be a dumb question but I'm new to android (somewhat experienced in *nix)

I just got an AT&T HTC Inspire, loving it (esp after a long day of blackberry use and support) except I want to be able to watch movies/play mp3s directly from a windows cifs/smb share while I'm on wifi inside my house.

I installed free market app called "file expert" this lets me browse and copy to/from a share but I can't play any media without using that functionality to completely copy the media to the phone 1st.

I saw there's a file expert smb-mount plugin available but it says one needs root access.

I did some more reading and saw some people mentioning that maybe some phones have capability of mounting smbfs without being rooted? that true? but if it doesn't have that capability built in it needs to be rooted? that right?

Also I just rooted my wife's BN color nook last night (auto-nooter 3.0) would the file expert smb-mount plugin be a good thing to try on there? or is there something better?

Could I just mount an smb share from a command prompt on there? and if so could I make a shell script to do so that shows up on the app menu?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 28, 2011

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Been running an older build of CM6 on my Hero for about six months now and finally decided to give CM7 a shot. After wiping, flashing the .zip, and rebooting, the phone freezes up at the "Touch the Android" screen and I have to pull the battery to get it to reboot. I've tried the 3/22 and 3/26 builds several times with the same results. Any suggestions?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dphi posted:

Been running an older build of CM6 on my Hero for about six months now and finally decided to give CM7 a shot. After wiping, flashing the .zip, and rebooting, the phone freezes up at the "Touch the Android" screen and I have to pull the battery to get it to reboot. I've tried the 3/22 and 3/26 builds several times with the same results. Any suggestions?

You need to make sure /system and /data partitions are mounted while you flash the google apps zip to the device. Enter recovery, make sure system and data are mounted, flash the cm7 rom again and then flash the google apps zip as well.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

fishmech posted:

You need to make sure /system and /data partitions are mounted while you flash the google apps zip to the device. Enter recovery, make sure system and data are mounted, flash the cm7 rom again and then flash the google apps zip as well.

Okay, I did that and now it gets to the "touch the android" screen, locks up, then goes back to the ANDROID animation, basically getting stuck in a reboot loop.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
:siren: paging Ashex and any other Arabic or Farsi-reading Android users :siren:

We can now get proper language support on any 2.1 (or higher) deodexed ROM. Details and instructions in this XDA thread.

It works flawlessly on my Vibrant:

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

dphi posted:

Just for reference, what recovery are you running?

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
I just flashed CM7 to my OG Motorola DROID.... it's like I just got a new device. loving awesome.

My only problem is that i'd like to put a 1GHz kernel back on it, as CM7 comes with a 800MHz kernel stock.

Can I use ROM Manager to do this? Or should I just use my old method to flash a P3Droid kernel?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

I Dont Like You posted:

Just for reference, what recovery are you running?
Running the latest clockworkmod. Recently updated from RA 1.5.2 if I remember correctly, which was giving me similar issues after flashing cm7. I also forgot to mention this is the aosp version I'm flashing.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
What specific version does the recovery show when you're in it?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Well, looks like I'll be installing GB on my Droid X when I get home (rooted version). Only a day after GB was leaked, haha.

Edit: Question: So my app data is gonna go away after doing this, right? Will Titanium Backup work to restore that data?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 29, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

yamdankee posted:

Well, looks like I'll be installing GB on my Droid X when I get home (rooted version). Only a day after GB was leaked, haha.

Edit: Question: So my app data is gonna go away after doing this, right? Will Titanium Backup work to restore that data?

I love you right now. Literally read this as I got my X. Thank you.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So I posted this in the XDA Nook Color General User forum but I thought somebody here might be able to help me a little quicker. I am just going to copy paste:

"Ok, I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question.

So I was trying to flash the CM7/HC hybrid build from the dev forum and I messed up a bit, here is how it went down.

I used rom manager to make a backup of my stock rooted 2.1, I then wiped data/factory reset and wiped cache (probably the wrong the to do, I'm coming from a Droid, probably should have done more research) and tried to install the .zip from the root of the SD card. I get an error message and kind of freak out, so I decide to abandon the project for tonight and try it again tomorrow. So I wipe data and cache and go to reinstall my nandroid backup. I load up the nandroid and now the NC wont boot at all, it gets to the cool Nook Color animation right before the lock screen pops up and just loops that.

Well, I realized that I had a dual boot thing going, thought that might be causing the problem so I went into the flashable dual boot thread and flashed everything back to normal in that respect. Now I get the "Touch the Future of Reading" boot screen but it still goes to the Nook Dev Nook Color screen and just loops. BUT now I can't even get into CWM.

So, I decided to just create a bootable .img on my SD card and throw CM7 on there and call it a night. I downloaded the right files, used winimg32 or whatever and burned the appropriate file, but now when I try to throw CM on the SD card it says it has to be formatted to use :-( I just want my NC back."

So basically right now I am having SD card issues as well as Nook Color issues.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

yamdankee posted:

Titanium will work to restore app data. Just don't restore any sort of system data. Things will go wrong if you restore both system and app data.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Hoooly poo poo. I installed the latest teamhacksung build of CM7 on my Captivate last night. What a night and day difference. I had tried some of the froyo roms available on XDA but even those don't hold a candle to CM7. Just an all around zippy experience and I haven't even done any overclocking. Still a few bugs of course but those are to be expected.

My phone can finally live up to its potential, and the Samsung devs can :fuckoff:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ok, awesome. Thanks.

Is it just me or is there like a whole new era of laziness that is manifesting on XDA/mydroidworld/etc? A guy like p3droid comes up with a rooted version of GB for the X the day after it leaks, he posts detailed instructions on how to install it; followed by what? "So I can pretty much just view this as a new rom right guys?" Ugh. Why don't they just SBF like he says? It's best practice. Even worse, I saw some guy asking why he's having problems after restoring a nandroid backup of a 2.2 after flashing GB. Everybody seems to try so hard to avoid wiping data/cache as if it's some huge, time consuming step. What is wrong with these people?

Anyway, thanks again, can't wait to install GB!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dphi posted:

That's not going to cut it. You need to be running CWR 3.0 or greater to install CM7.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Rooted my mytouch 4g, so I can su after I turn it on. Simlock was also turned off but it's not helping. Apparently there are different kinds of sim cards, or some crap. Despite this fact, my e71 which works fine in the USA, also works fine here. Apparently mytouch 4g's don't work fine abroad despite the bands being correct for the country. Next time I get a phone I might as well go with Verizon because foreign phone usage was the only reason I went with t-mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

That's not going to cut it. You need to be running CWR 3.0 or greater to install CM7.

Where can I get 3.0 or higher for my HTC Desire GSM? It installs CM7 fine with a 2.5.x.x recovery but idk.