Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eyeball posted:

If I thumbs-down a song on Pandora, does it interpret that as "I don't like that song" or as "that isn't what I want from this station"?

I like Sympathy for the Devil, but the Rolling Stones don't really go with the 70's/80's punk/ska station I'm trying to listen to.

Just for that station. I have to do this occasionally when my Punk, Rock, and Folk stations start blending together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Eyeball posted:

If I thumbs-down a song on Pandora, does it interpret that as "I don't like that song" or as "that isn't what I want from this station"?

I like Sympathy for the Devil, but the Rolling Stones don't really go with the 70's/80's punk/ska station I'm trying to listen to.

Here's some more info on it. Basically that song will never play again for you on that particular station and it also takes that feedback into account for other people who use that same station.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
At the top of my staircase is a 30 cm by 43 cm shelf/pedestal. What should I put there?

An aquarium would be neat, but there are no electrical outlets and I don't want to make fish swim in stale, dirty water.

A terrarium would also be neat, but the shelf gets no sunlight. Ditto with bonsai.

I really want to put something amazing there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
How about some glasswork that catches the light?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Is there a phrase to describe appreciating the life you've had, letting go of attachment and starting something new. Like coming of age but for old people?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I'm trying to find a page that I saw ages ago that detailed ancient rome poetry, specifically 'rap battle' style things where each poet would insult the other. My google-fu is failing me, so hopefully someone could find me something to prove to my friend I didn't just make it up!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm by no means a graphic artist but do have some understanding and abilities with graphics software. That said, how would I enlarge an emoticon into a fairly large image without losing clarity or causing pixelation? Is this even possible?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

wildfire1 posted:

I'm trying to find a page that I saw ages ago that detailed ancient rome poetry, specifically 'rap battle' style things where each poet would insult the other. My google-fu is failing me, so hopefully someone could find me something to prove to my friend I didn't just make it up!

There's a fantastic history megathread in GBS; I'd look through it or ask in the thread; there are some classicists hanging out in there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm by no means a graphic artist but do have some understanding and abilities with graphics software. That said, how would I enlarge an emoticon into a fairly large image without losing clarity or causing pixelation? Is this even possible?

It will never look perfect, but most image editing software can do "smooth scaling" or "interpolation". Depending on how large you make it, it will either look a little blurry or look like it's made of big squarish blobs.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

You'd probably have to redraw it in vector format.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Drimble Wedge posted:

There's a fantastic history megathread in GBS; I'd look through it or ask in the thread; there are some classicists hanging out in there.

Now that I think about it, it's likely that I found it there - thanks!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Drimble Wedge posted:

Wow, thank you for this. I wonder if I could [ab]use this for my Wikipedia research...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

gwar3k1 posted:

Is there a phrase to describe appreciating the life you've had, letting go of attachment and starting something new. Like coming of age but for old people?

Retirement

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

wildfire1 posted:

Uh. As a classicist, I have no idea what you're talking about. There are what are called amoebean contests, which are exchanges of short, 2-line poems, but as far as I know they're not abusive. There are also plenty of abusive/insulting epigrams (look up Martial or Catullus for some), but they're not "rap battle" style.

Hm, I was looking up Vergil's Eclogues to find an amoebean contest and Eclogue 3 begins kind of abusively, even though the actual contest isn't. Maybe that's what you mean?

eta:

tarepanda posted:

At the top of my staircase is a 30 cm by 43 cm shelf/pedestal. What should I put there?

An aquarium would be neat, but there are no electrical outlets and I don't want to make fish swim in stale, dirty water.

Betta fish don't need an aerator thingy. You can only have one in a tank, though. Don't buy the crap about them being fine in teeny tiny bowls; a bigger tank is always nice, and you could populate it with plants and tiny temple bits and treasure chests and all that crap.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 29, 2011

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Abel Wingnut posted:

In photoshop when you do an image size, you want to set resample to Nearest neighbour to preserve the pixel grid. If that's what you mean, a 1:1 resize?

stubblyhead posted:

Retirement

I could use that. Thanks.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

tarepanda posted:

A terrarium would also be neat, but the shelf gets no sunlight. Ditto with bonsai.

I really want to put something amazing there.

oh god.

Speaking from personal experience with that kind of stairwell and that kind of tempting shelf, don't put anything there that will:

(A) cause a mindbogglingly awful mess to clean up when it falls into the stairwell (an aquarium?? he says? OMG :psyduck: )

(B) break your heart when it falls and shatters. See--> Tiffany lamp.

So you put a piece of metal or plastic decor there...

(C) cause a trip to the ER and/or a lawsuit when it falls on someone's head. Scalp wounds bleed inordinately, did you know that?

You need a plastic philodendron or pothos there. When they decide to leap off the high shelf, they just bounce harmlessly.

Besides, how would you get to an aquarium to tend it? It needs water changes once a week.

Anything you put there will become horribly dusty, too.

Most people go with an assortment of interesting-looking rattan baskets from Pier 1. YMMV. Not particularly awesome, but then, the place for your awesome stuff is down where people can pick it up and, yanno, look at it.

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 29, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
The only answer is you must put dolls and teddy bears on the shelf. Lots of them. No lawsuits possible.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
There's quite a ledge between the shelf and the stairwell, how would an aquarium jump that?

Edit: Eh, I guess it could fall off the unguarded side and then spill down the stairwell. Maybe.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gwar3k1 posted:

In photoshop when you do an image size, you want to set resample to Nearest neighbour to preserve the pixel grid. If that's what you mean, a 1:1 resize?

Alternatively he could also live trace it in illustrator if he doesn't want to see the pixels.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Golbez posted:

There's quite a ledge between the shelf and the stairwell, how would an aquarium jump that?

Edit: Eh, I guess it could fall off the unguarded side and then spill down the stairwell. Maybe.

It only takes once.

Yes, I do tend to be a pessimist; why do you ask? :D

ETA: Poster's profile says:

quote:

I'm an American with profound hearing loss and a cochlear implant teaching English in Japan.

So, someone living in a place where they have earthquakes all the time wants to put an aquarium up high on a shelf?

Oh, that's a good idea... :mmmhmm:

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 29, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

It reinforces my point -- Irish pubs in America are gimmicks for your evening entertainment. 99.9% of their patronage are Americans looking to drink Guinness in an environment with any shred of authenticity. They are not, like other ethnic restaurants, a place where those ethnicities might flock to eat home food.

The original question was asking about places outside the USA, I mentioned several cities in Europe where I have been to Irish pubs and met quite a few Irish people (in fact I live next to one in Geneva). You're the one referencing the kiss-me-I'm-Irish gimmick capital of the world like it has any relevance to anything.

Most Irish tourists or residents in the states will be perfectly comfortable with the drinking culture (it's borrowed heavily from Ireland's) so won't feel the need to go to an Irish pub except for early mornings in August and September for the GAA championships. Outside of most anglo cultures, the pub scene is significantly different and so there is a market in the Irish expat community for an Irish pub.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Taken in Greenland or Iceland. Which bird could it be? Thanks in advance.

e: Thanks to everyone who answered, especially YggiDee! His answer seems the most plausible.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 30, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Everyone knows monoprice.com is the place to go for cheap cables. Is there a place to go for cheap printer ink cartridges? Or am I stuck with Staples or Cartridge World?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Probably a ruby-crowned kinglet, but it looks a little bulky and its ruby crown is too forward on its forehead I think.

Post in this thread. It's not just for bugs and we have a couple of bird brains in there!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 29, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Probably a ruby-crowned kinglet, but it looks a little bulky and its ruby crown is too forward on its forehead I think.

Post in this thread. It's not just for bugs and we have a couple of bird brains in there!

Kinglets are about the dinkiest birds imaginable, and his beak is all wrong too. I'd guess a sparrow of some sort, but that's a pretty broad description. WhatBird is good for identifying birds, but is pretty much North America only; no idea if they include Greenland in that. I looked through it and didn't see anything promising.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stubblyhead posted:

Kinglets are about the dinkiest birds imaginable, and his beak is all wrong too. I'd guess a sparrow of some sort, but that's a pretty broad description. WhatBird is good for identifying birds, but is pretty much North America only; no idea if they include Greenland in that. I looked through it and didn't see anything promising.

Yeah, I was thinking it was too bulky for a kinglet. There is a lot of overlap between NA and Greenland when it comes to bird species, so that website may come in handy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I'd go with Iceland though, way too much green for it to be Greenland.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
In a race on a circular track where the contenders have to stay in their lanes, how do they account for the fact that the contender in the inner lane will have the shorter distance to race?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You've seriously never seen this?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I was thinking it was too bulky for a kinglet. There is a lot of overlap between NA and Greenland when it comes to bird species, so that website may come in handy.

They actually do include Greenland as a location. I selected that and small birds, and it only gave back a sandpiper and a plover. I've looked through all the New World and most of the Old World sparrows, and there's nothing that looks right. The closest I found was the Chipping Sparrow, but that's not it either. Could be a finch of some sort; my first thought was house finch tbqh.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

What are some good, cheap hobbies? I feel like I need something to focus on.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Fig Newton posted:

oh god.

Speaking from personal experience with that kind of stairwell and that kind of tempting shelf, don't put anything there that will:

(A) cause a mindbogglingly awful mess to clean up when it falls into the stairwell (an aquarium?? he says? OMG :psyduck: )
I did think about this and would still consider it. The part of Japan I live in is very stable. Most earthquakes here are like a big rig going by -- that is, hardly noticeable. The exception, of course, being three weeks ago.

Fig Newton posted:

Besides, how would you get to an aquarium to tend it? It needs water changes once a week.

Anything you put there will become horribly dusty, too.

Well, it's in the hall between my room and the guest room, so accessibility isn't an issue. The height is fine too since it's slightly lower than my chest.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Betta fish don't need an aerator thingy. You can only have one in a tank, though. Don't buy the crap about them being fine in teeny tiny bowls; a bigger tank is always nice, and you could populate it with plants and tiny temple bits and treasure chests and all that crap.

I always understood that they can survive without an aerator and filter, but that it's not exactly pleasant/healthy?

Econosaurus posted:

Drawing, singing, origami, reading, sudoku, word puzzles, writing limericks.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 30, 2011

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Econosaurus posted:

Go down to your local library, start with the first book in section one and work your way through. Not just cheap, but free.

You need to give us more to go on. Do you want a hobby where you create something, collect something, or gain knowledge about something? You could learn a language, paint a picture, collect baseball cards, I don't know. It's kind of up to you, isn't it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Econosaurus posted:

Reading writing sculpting drawing masturbating working out working a second job minecraft trainspotting crossword puzzles logic puzzles learning a new language

I don't get how anyone could every actually be bored

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Econosaurus posted:

Before you consider getting sucked into anything inactive, I implore you to give hiking a shot. If your forest of choice is in an urban or suburban area, you ought to be able to find some pretty interesting things by going off-trail. Unless you're thinking of climbing a mountain, you might spend money on bottled water and bug spray and that's about it.

VVV This too. I would cook more if I had the time and knew what the gently caress everything in my mother's pantry did.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 30, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Econosaurus posted:

Cooking. It's only as expensive as you want it to be, and it gives you an awesome usable skill that helps you get laid too.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

VVV This too. I would cook more if I had the time and knew what the gently caress everything in my mother's pantry did.

I bet she'd teach you if you asked. :3:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Facebook seems to have gotten rid of the "Photos" link in the left pane. Is this true for anyone else, and if it is, where do I now go to see my friends' latest photo uploads?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have been seeing this smiley pop up more and more every day for what seems like years and I have no idea what the hell it is.

:goonsay:

1. What does it mean?
2. Is is supposed to look like something? because it just looks completely random to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

NESguerilla posted:

I have been seeing this smiley pop up more and more every day for what seems like years and I have no idea what the hell it is.

:goonsay:

1. What does it mean?
2. Is is supposed to look like something? because it just looks completely random to me.

It's supposed to be a fat faced, glasses wearing goon looking person, and is usually used when someone is indicating they think something is particularly goon-ey (anything particularly creepy, nerdy, or obsessive). You'll notice it comes with a little dash, so you can put it below a quote of someone.

Also has it's own SAclopedia entry: http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2180

Elijya fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 30, 2011