Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've never heard of that. It seems like the sort of thing they would have caught. Are there any other obvious misses like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've never heard of that. It seems like the sort of thing they would have caught. Are there any other obvious misses like that?

I wouldn't consider it a mistake so much as artistic license.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Obviously they changed the timeline without knowing it and that stuff was invented earlier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Obviously they changed the timeline without knowing it and that stuff was invented earlier.

The events of BttF 3 caused that technology to be invented sooner.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That's actually covered in the Back to the Future expanded universe novel "Rocking Through the Ages," where it's revealed that Doc Brown is a part-time sound engineer (hence the giant stack of amps in his house at the start of the first movie). In the book, Marty travels back in time to 1955 again to make sure that Bo Diddley successfully has his television debut on Ed Sullivan's show, and we find out that Doc had manufactured the guitar and amps for the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, as well as Bo Diddley's TV performance, and as such they were significantly ahead of their time.

It's pretty fortunate the EU writers were able to step in and correct that sort of blunder.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's actually covered in the Back to the Future expanded universe novel "Rocking Through the Ages," where it's revealed that Doc Brown is a part-time sound engineer (hence the giant stack of amps in his house at the start of the first movie). In the book, Marty travels back in time to 1955 again to make sure that Bo Diddley successfully has his television debut on Ed Sullivan's show, and we find out that Doc had manufactured the guitar and amps for the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, as well as Bo Diddley's TV performance, and as such they were significantly ahead of their time.

It's pretty fortunate the EU writers were able to step in and correct that sort of blunder.

This is a funny post if you made it up and the saddest post if it's true.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the Telltale game Marty also inspires Doc to become a scientist earlier than he normally did so even if he just made that up there's some indirect reasoning.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I made it up after making sure there weren't actually any Back to the Future expanded universe novels, as that would have made the whole thing a little too sad. I did find out, though, that there were book adaptations of the movies, whose author or publisher apparently found the movies a little too risque, swapping out all the mild profanity ("horseshit") for even milder euphemisms ("horse droppings").

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

I made it up after making sure there weren't actually any Back to the Future expanded universe novels, as that would have made the whole thing a little too sad. I did find out, though, that there were book adaptations of the movies, whose author or publisher apparently found the movies a little too risque, swapping out all the mild profanity ("horseshit") for even milder euphemisms ("horse droppings").

"If my calculations are right, when this baby hits 88 miles-per-hour you're going to see some seriously interesting things!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Telltale game, episode 1 at least, has no swearing either except once. Characters will go "Shiiiiiiiiiiiii" but get cut off.

The once is the 88 miles per hour line, so they clearly know what they're doing.

vvv It takes place after the third movie actually. Just that episode 1 starts with the parking lot/Einstein time travel scene. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 28, 2011

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As long as all the attempted rape is there, it will be a family-friendly hit.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Aphrodite posted:

The Telltale game, episode 1 at least, has no swearing either except once. Characters will go "Shiiiiiiiiiiiii" but get cut off.

The once is the 88 miles per hour line, so they clearly know what they're doing.

vvv It takes place after the third movie actually. Just that episode 1 starts with the parking lot/Einstein time travel scene. vvv

This isn't true. In addition to the 88 Miles Per Hour line, I remember hearing poo poo at least 2 other times, once from Biff and once from Marty.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

"If my calculations are right, when this baby hits 88 miles-per-hour you're going to see some seriously interesting things!"

Reminded me of this QVC blooper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4B1cdmVlrw

The S word :ssh:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I watched Shallow Hal for the first time in about seven years, and I feel as if these two questions will be the simplest answer, but I'll give it a shot.

1.) Why did Hal see Rosemary's "ex" and the Hawaiian dude as two handsome guys when they were unattractive like Rosemary? I thought Tony Robbin's hypnotherapy only worked with women as evident both with the trigger phase, "Shallow Hal wants a gal" and the little girl in the hospital?

2.) Why did Rosemary see the bitchy old nurse as a hot woman when they were talking alone in Hal's Jeep?

EDIT: According to Google, the second question is because the old nurse was strict with Hal the first time they met, so he saw her as a crochety old woman when she was really the purty woman in the Jeep in real life. I don't buy it because up to the point, Hal never even knew who she was nor had any interaction with her, so how could he automatically envision her as the old nurse because she had strict manners? Again with the questions and I think I've gone cross-eyed.

I still don't get the first question, though.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 28, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

You Are A Elf posted:

I watched Shallow Hal for the first time in about seven years, and I feel as if these two questions will be the simplest answer, but I'll give it a shot.

1.) Why did Hal see Rosemary's "ex" and the Hawaiian dude as two handsome guys when they were unattractive like Rosemary? I thought Tony Robbin's hypnotherapy only worked with women as evident both with the trigger phase, "Shallow Hal wants a gal" and the little girl in the hospital?

I think this is a genuine plot hole. If Hal sees everyone's inner self, not just women, then surely Jason Alexander's character should have looked different.

quote:

2.) Why did Rosemary see the bitchy old nurse as a hot woman when they were talking alone in Hal's Jeep?

EDIT: According to Google, the second question is because the old nurse was strict with Hal the first time they met, so he saw her as a crochety old woman when she was really the purty woman in the Jeep in real life. I don't buy it because up to the point, Hal never even knew who she was nor had any interaction with her, so how could he automatically envision her as the old nurse because she had strict manners? Again with the questions and I think I've gone cross-eyed.

Because obviously the "hot woman" is her real apperance, which is why the guy with spina bifida is dating her in the first place. The scene with her and Rosemary talking in the car is supposed to be the reveal that she's actually a hot woman.

Hal seeing women's "real selves" has nothing to do with how much he knows about them, it's an instantaneous process. Recall the earlier scene where he's dancing with what he thinks are attractive women at the dance club. He doesn't know anything about them either, and yet he sees them as attractive. Not to mention that Hal sees Rosemary herself as attractive before he knows anything about her.

Binowru fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 28, 2011

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Who was that director that was big into cars, did a few films based on them, that died doing a stunt for the last film he directed?

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Detective Thompson posted:

Who was that director that was big into cars, did a few films based on them, that died doing a stunt for the last film he directed?

H.B. Halicki? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._B._Halicki

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

CHOICE COD posted:

H.B. Halicki? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._B._Halicki

Thank you!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Binowru posted:

I think this is a genuine plot hole. If Hal sees everyone's inner self, not just women, then surely Jason Alexander's character should have looked different.

I would also think Hal would see the guy with spina bifida as a normal dude since he was a genuinely good-natured nice guy, despite his disability.

quote:

Because obviously the "hot woman" is her real apperance, which is why the guy with spina bifida is dating her in the first place. The scene with her and Rosemary talking in the car is supposed to be the reveal that she's actually a hot woman.

Yeah, I get the reveal in the Jeep that she's really a hot woman, but I figured if she really was the old woman, the spina bifida guy would be dating her regardless due to his outward appearance, disability and settling for her or nothing. The movie is about inner beauty over appearance, but I think it asks the question, "who would date a guy with a crippling disability in real life?", but the hot nurse that's dating him just goes to show not everyone is shallow, thus, the moral of the story.

I also want to throw out that Joe Viterelli playing an Irishman was both a mindfuck and hilarious.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Why did a movie that claimed to teach people to focus on inner beauty make so many jokes at the expense of outer appearance?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Binowru posted:

You Are A Elf posted:

I would also think Hal would see the guy with spina bifida as a normal dude since he was a genuinely good-natured nice guy, despite his disability.
Hal doesn't see people he knows or has already met any differently than before.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 28, 2011

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

This isn't true. In addition to the 88 Miles Per Hour line, I remember hearing poo poo at least 2 other times, once from Biff and once from Marty.

Doesn't Marty say it when he drives into the 1955 barn?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Twin Cinema posted:

Why did a movie that claimed to teach people to focus on inner beauty make so many jokes at the expense of outer appearance?

A valid question, but I think the Farrelly track record would show that jokes come first regardless. It's really a terrible movie and I have no idea why anyone enjoys it, though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Twin Cinema posted:

It is a comedy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Yes, it is a comedy, at least in theory.

It seemed like the film wanted it both ways. With that said, I just looked at the Farrelly Brothers directing credits, and man, what a depressing career trajectory.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A good comedy plays by its own rules.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

Yes, it is a comedy, at least in theory.

It seemed like the film wanted it both ways. With that said, I just looked at the Farrelly Brothers directing credits, and man, what a depressing career trajectory.

Its funny how the Farrelly bros directing a movie used to be one of its selling points but in all the advertising for their latest movie I don't think it mentioned them once by name. Instead it just used the more vague "from the directors of There's Something About Mary."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know the exact play by play of the basement shootout in Inglorious Basterds? I have just rewatched the movie twice in the past 2 days thanks to showtime playing it endlessly and I kept trying to pay attention what I've got:

- Stiglitz shoots Hellstrom in his nazi balls
- Hellstrom shoots Hicox and von Hammersmark
- Hicox shoots Hellstrom in his nazi balls
- Wicki gets up and shoots one of the private's friends
- Stiglitz stabs Hellstrom in the neck and head
- Female SGT shoots Stiglitz
- A bunch of poo poo that doesn't make sense, including I think the bartender shooting Wicki but isn't he a good guy?
- Wicki shoots a lot of the other dudes
- Private whats his face guns down Wicki and Waitress with Mp40

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Robokomodo posted:

Doesn't Marty say it when he drives into the 1955 barn?

I'm pretty sure he says it when the Libyans start shooting at him, but I may be completely misremembering that.

ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...
I have another Inglorious Basterds question sort of. When Landa goes to investigate the bar massacre, he pretty easily recognizes Stiglitz. In theory then, wouldn't he have recognized him just as quickly at the premiere of the movie, along with maybe some other officials? I suppose it was probably better for the Americans then that Aldo and the other two actually ended up going.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

ohthatdan posted:

I have another Inglorious Basterds question sort of. When Landa goes to investigate the bar massacre, he pretty easily recognizes Stiglitz. In theory then, wouldn't he have recognized him just as quickly at the premiere of the movie, along with maybe some other officials? I suppose it was probably better for the Americans then that Aldo and the other two actually ended up going.

I don't think the members of Operation Kino counted on Landa's uncanny skills as a detective. I'm pretty sure he recognized Aldo and The Bear Jew immediately.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I've only seen The Good The Bad and The Ugly out of the Dollars trilogy. But is there supposed to be continuity between the movies? Do they take place in the same universe?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Not really, Lee Van Cleef is in TGTBATU as Angel Eyes and then he is in For a Few Dollars More as someone else. I guess Blondie is supposed to be the same character in all three but that's not ever said.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
Also Gian Maria Volonte is in Fistful as the villain Ramon Rojo and in For a Few Dollars more as the villain El Indio. And Mario Brega plays a heavy in all three (and dies in each). The only hint at continuity is that Eastwood's character wears the same clothes in all three, and the sewn-up holes from the first movie are visible if you look closely enough. But seeing as in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly he finds those clothes in another man's possession, when he had them in the first two, I don't think they're really intended to be related at all except stylistically.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Not really, Lee Van Cleef is in TGTBATU as Angel Eyes and then he is in For a Few Dollars More as someone else. I guess Blondie is supposed to be the same character in all three but that's not ever said.

Isn't he 'technically' given names in all 3 films, despite the 'Man with no Name' moniker?

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

DrVenkman posted:

Isn't he 'technically' given names in all 3 films, despite the 'Man with no Name' moniker?

Ehhhhh, yes and no, but not really. One character calls him "Joe" three or four times in the first movie, but he never introduces himself that way and it's only that one guy, so it comes across as the equivalent of calling a stranger "Mack." In the second he's referred to a few times as "Monco," which is slang for "one-armed" in Italian, and he tends to only use one hand when he's fighting. In the third Tuco calls him "Blondie" throughout the whole film, but once again it's only used by one character and it's clearly a nickname. So he never gets a name, per se, but he's given various nicknames.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

According to one of the documentaries on the blu ray box set Leone always imagined him as three different characters, but I don't think it matters either way. I look at him as an archetype in a fairy tale since Leone always wanted to make "fairy tales for grown ups."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The whole "Man With No Name" thing was concocted by the U.S. distributor, I believe.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Rake Arms posted:

I don't think the members of Operation Kino counted on Landa's uncanny skills as a detective. I'm pretty sure he recognized Aldo and The Bear Jew immediately.

I'm not sure they even counted on him being there to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

mojo1701a posted:

I'm not sure they even counted on him being there to begin with.

I was going to post that at first, but as I recall Bridget von Hammersmark was already acquainted with Landa before the premier. That doesn't necessarily mean she knew he would be there, but it seems like she might have inferred.

As for The Man With No Name, there is some continuity. Near the end The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, Blondie trades his duster for dead man's poncho. The poncho gets shot through in A Fistful of Dollars, and you can see where it's been mended in For a Few Dollars More. I think he also wears some kind of hand brace in FaFDM because the bad guys stomped on is in AFFoD.