Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mystic Mongol posted:

You could join us over in Grognards, where we like unproductive lines of discussion!

What, in TGD? Like I'd ever be caught in that wretched, happyelf-sponsored hive of scum and villainy! :orks:

I mean, aside from reading the White Wolf thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Cabbit man I love you and also 3.5 but you are wrong.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Fine, whatever, I'm old.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
God I was hoping for a bit of humour, not everyone getting pre-emptively angry.

You know, stuff like "Oh well 3.5e-ish Belkar is a barefoot halfling rogue but in 4e he's a psychic spider cowboy from Reclaimed Abeir who ends every sentence with "-a hyoo hyoo hyoo!"

that's ... that's the kind of thing I think is funny

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hey, Cabbit, how come you're going to bat for 3.5 when this was the extent of your system mastery in it?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 24, 2011

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Ferrinus posted:

Hey, Cabbit, how come you're going to bat for 3.5 when this was the extent of your system mastery in it?

What are you doing? What is this? Stop it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Listen, if you're as much of a fan of this webcomic as I am you are going to find that link hilarious.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
While I may or may not find a level 30 character with no caster levels, 'hilarious,' I certainly don't think this is the thread for it. Can't we take this to TGD, where it belongs?

Cabbit posted:

Like I'd ever be caught in that wretched, happyelf-sponsored hive of scum and villainy! :orks:

Happyelf is dead, and we have the dogfucker back. C'mon, please? It'll help clean up this thread that YOU shat in.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I agree, this is BSS. We discuss comics, not games.

On that matter, Tarquin says he finds Elan's attitude weird. While it could be him putting on, he does raise an eyebrow. Could Elan not actually be related to Tarquin/Nale?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mystic Mongol posted:

While I may or may not find a level 30 character with no caster levels, 'hilarious,' I certainly don't think this is the thread for it. Can't we take this to TGD, where it belongs?

Happyelf is dead, and we have the dogfucker back. C'mon, please? It'll help clean up this thread that YOU shat in.

I said it wasn't worth discussing, then people kept discussing it. The hell do want me to do? I'm happy to stop, lest somebody else trot out another old character sheet I made before I had a decent grasp on the system like it's a loving McCarthy hearing.

I'm sure Elan's related, the apple just fell farther from the tree. Nale's nothing like his mom, for instance.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am hard pressed to imagine what sort of point a twin-who-isn't-your-twin plot would have. I mean, Nale is enough like Elan to fool his party at close range, and we have seen Nale chilling out with the Linear Guild when you assume any sort of doppleganger/mimic would have dropped the act.

It would be pretty much on par with 'It was all a dream!!'

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
edit: There was a dumb post here. It's gone now.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I'm sure Elan's related, the apple just fell farther from the tree. Nale's nothing like his mom, for instance.

I don't remember if it was book commentary or an actual strip, but basically Dad is Evil and Dramatic, and Mom is Good and 'Loves needlessly complex plans', and each of the kids got one trait from each.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Bobulus posted:

I don't remember if it was book commentary or an actual strip, but basically Dad is Evil and Dramatic, and Mom is Good and 'Loves needlessly complex plans', and each of the kids got one trait from each.
It's in Strip 725, "The Significantly-More-Secret Origin of Tarquin and Nale." :)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

dpbjinc posted:

I agree, this is BSS. We discuss comics, not games.

On that matter, Tarquin says he finds Elan's attitude weird. While it could be him putting on, he does raise an eyebrow. Could Elan not actually be related to Tarquin/Nale?

It might be just me, but wasn't this kinda hinted at in #761?

Gotta agree with Ashcans though, don't see what the point would be.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
He was there when both were born. They're twins. Same mother, same time. It would take a ludicrous amount of sleight-of-hand to fake that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I just noticed he is patting an adult red dragon on her nose.

Tarquin gets more bad rear end the longer you look at his panels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A succinct and accurate summary of the situation from the bard.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I finally remembered to "like" OotS on facebook. One of the first posts I saw upon joining the group was this:

quote:

Jim Profit
Not really. I've seen much better writing, and with much less baggage. Richard the rapist Burlew is a sick bastard. Nothing he writes can justify what a depraved and disgusting man he really is.

He's in his thirties, he has no excuse to act ...the way he does. He's a full grown man, but has the mentality of a psychotic child. Pulling the wings off flies and laughing. I know people here are obviously fans of his work, but thats why you have to hear it. You have to know the kind of depraved rear end in a top hat Richard Burlew really is... You honestly think I'd invest this much time over nothing? As much as I'd like to just ignore the son of a bitch, that solves nothing. He's a terrible person, and will make victims out of more and more people unless I expose him. Do not support him, or any of his Gary Stu bullcrap comics. I would not tolerate the evils Richard Burlew commits even if he wrote a tapestry of beauty such as Hamlet or Huckleberry Finn. Let alone something that makes Twilight look intelligible.

And I will not rest until I unveil to the world the monster Richard Burlew really is. I don't care what the reaction is. People have a right to know.See More
about an hour ago · Like

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
So it seems that the elfie wasn't giving the evil eye to V but to the bird. The elf can see the bird.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Soonmot posted:

I finally remembered to "like" OotS on facebook. One of the first posts I saw upon joining the group was this:

:wtc:

Okay, what the hell was Rich Burlew supposed to have done, exactly?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nenonen posted:

So it seems that the elfie wasn't giving the evil eye to V but to the bird. The elf can see the bird.

..everyone can see the bird. It's a tangible creature. It was just ignored for the first 500ish strips and only appeared when necessary, which is much the way every wizard ever treats their familiar in a practical game of D&D instead of a novelized version of D&D.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ashenai posted:

:wtc:

Okay, what the hell was Rich Burlew supposed to have done, exactly?
Jim Profit got banned from the GitP forums for trolling and reporting the local LGBT thread because he's an insane homophobe. Pretty much the entire story although googling "Jim Profit" Burlew reveals a view of reality skewed on a frightening magnitude.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jim Profit got banned from the GitP forums for trolling and reporting the local LGBT thread because he's an insane homophobe. Pretty much the entire story although googling "Jim Profit" Burlew reveals a view of reality skewed on a frightening magnitude.

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. I found this thread, and every single post by him is comedy gold.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ConfusedUs posted:

..everyone can see the bird. It's a tangible creature. It was just ignored for the first 500ish strips and only appeared when necessary, which is much the way every wizard ever treats their familiar in a practical game of D&D instead of a novelized version of D&D.

Oh. Can others hear it, though?

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Nenonen posted:

Oh. Can others hear it, though?

Yes, I remember when he first started talking Varsuvius was surprised that he was speaking in English.

edit: Here's the comic, not sure if he's ever spoken to anybody else though. The OotS wikia says that he spoke to the Oracle at some point, but that's it.

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 28, 2011

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ashenai posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. I found this thread, and every single post by him is comedy gold.

Wow, so he's like actually crazy. I'm just picturing him flexing in a bathroom mirror while laughing hysterically for hours after posting about gaming webcomics.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

I knew a guy who let his niece (5 or 6) play as his familiar from time to time. I thought it would be a nightmare (as did the DM), but it actually worked out pretty well. After the first ten or so minutes the kid only piped up when it was appropriate and played her DS when it wasn't. Speaking as someone who nearly universally loathes children under 8 or so, I didn't mind it at all. It was pretty cute when she got all excited "scouting" and telling us verbatim what the DM had just said to her. It was interesting, to say the least, though I certainly wouldn't do it with my kid. Little bastard always took more than her fair share of snacks though, and I'm sure her mom and dad have heard a few f bombs by now.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 29, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well I didn't expect the dinosaur...

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
New Strip

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

LightWarden posted:

New Strip

You can be Evil AND balance your country budget.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
I suppose that is supposed to read: "no one even would have remembered."

Solid strip, though. I love Tarquin's gloating.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

SithDrummer posted:

I suppose that is supposed to read: "no one even would have remembered."

Solid strip, though. I love Tarquin's gloating.

No, he's saying he would have been more angry if the tournament had turned out unmemorable. It's a little clunky, but it's correct. Append a phantom "made me" to his sentence and it's much easier to diagram.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always thought the best way to finance an empire in a high magic setting would be to have an obscure law that made it standard procedure to sell all equipment in the possession of accused criminals immediately after capture. Some 10th level party picks a fight in a bar? Boom. 200,000 gold.

It would be a hell of a stick for the DM too, if carrots didn’t keep his players in line. “Don’t gently caress around in my city unless you want to risk losing your vorpal nunchucks.”

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I always thought the best way to finance an empire in a high magic setting would be to have an obscure law that made it standard procedure to sell all equipment in the possession of accused criminals immediately after capture. Some 10th level party picks a fight in a bar? Boom. 200,000 gold.

It would be a hell of a stick for the DM too, if carrots didn’t keep his players in line. “Don’t gently caress around in my city unless you want to risk losing your vorpal nunchucks.”

That'd be a good setting to play a Sorcerer in. It'd suck to get nicked for a parking ticket and have your spellbook pawned while you're in lock-up.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but then you're a sorcerer...

The Raven is actually one of my favorite characters now. I lost it at "strong theropod role-model" in the last strip.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

What is WBL?

Weapons something Level?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wealth by level.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Toussaint Louverture posted:

sell all equipment in the possession of accused criminals immediately after capture.

Accused not convicted? Wow. Talk about Lawful Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

sfwarlock posted:

Accused not convicted? Wow. Talk about Lawful Evil.

Just like the War on Drugs!