Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Will cucumber grow that quickly that it would need to be in that large of a container by say, mid/late april when it will/should be planted in the ground?

Cucumber and lettuce are both plants that don't really transplant well. Most people seed them directly in the garden. I certainly wouldn't want to transplant them twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Costello Jello posted:

Cucumber and lettuce are both plants that don't really transplant well. Most people seed them directly in the garden. I certainly wouldn't want to transplant them twice.

Ahh, did not know they didn't like to transplant .. oh well, I will see how they do and direct sow the rest.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
I thought you meant keeping it in a container to grow through its life. In that case, 5 gallon as I said would be the minimum recommended (same for tomatoes)

Two transplants is more than I would be comfortable with. I think that if a plant needs that, you're just planting too early. Patience. Once it warms up plants will vigorously grow. What took weeks this time of year will take days later

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Marchegiana posted:

Also keep in mind that you need to water the gently caress out of plants the first few days they're transplanted.

This hasn't been a problem here: we've got downpours at night the past couple of days.

In other news, I have sprouts! Lettuce to be exact, just what my mom wanted.

Costello Jello posted:

poo poo. Oh well, I can wait until the weather warms up to sow some directly into the backyard.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 24, 2011

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933
This is what I'm trying to work with at home. But I also got a 30ft x 60ft plot at the park :)

The top are buckets and a homemade earthbox and the pallet is going to be used for herbs, maybe I'll put more lettuce at the bottom. I got 2 real earthboxes coming for my birthday next month. The balcony is going to be my organic experiment. We are hitting the big plot with kelp, Jersey Green Sand, and gypsum.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
I was going through and weeding the area my garden this year is going to be (its small, so doing it by hand) and I came across TONS of really small earthworms. Just about every clump of dirt I turned over had at least one small earthworms. I'm thinking that lots of worms is a good thing, right? Or should I reconsider where I'm working if I have a lot of them?

I'm sorry I know nothing :(

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

stimpy posted:

Or should I reconsider where I'm working if I have a lot of them?

No, that means you're doing everything right.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Alterian posted:

Does anyone know of a good place to get cardboard? I need a bunch for my garden.

I work at a software company with a small hardware warehouse. We produce an inordinate amount of cardboard for what we do. If you live anywhere near a business park and see a company with a cardboard recycling dumpster, stop in and talk to the shipping/receiving people. You can usually have more than you'd ever need.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I just planted some more seeds tonight, red/green/cayenne/habanero peppers as well as some brocoli, 72 total.

Here are the cucumbers that sprouted, they are under the "grow lights".

At what time should I cut down all but the strongest plant per pot?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

stimpy posted:

I was going through and weeding the area my garden this year is going to be (its small, so doing it by hand) and I came across TONS of really small earthworms. Just about every clump of dirt I turned over had at least one small earthworms. I'm thinking that lots of worms is a good thing, right? Or should I reconsider where I'm working if I have a lot of them?

I'm sorry I know nothing :(

Worms play a vital role in soil fertility. They digest organic matter and poo it out in the form of nutrient rich "castings". Secondly, as they move and burrow, air is pumped into the soil. Large mature worms have very long burrows from deep in the ground all the way to the surface. You'll sometimes see them at night mating on the surface. These long burrows aerate deep into the soil and keep plants growing well

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Bigdee4933 posted:

This is what I'm trying to work with at home. But I also got a 30ft x 60ft plot at the park :)

The top are buckets and a homemade earthbox and the pallet is going to be used for herbs, maybe I'll put more lettuce at the bottom. I got 2 real earthboxes coming for my birthday next month. The balcony is going to be my organic experiment. We are hitting the big plot with kelp, Jersey Green Sand, and gypsum.

Nice :) I like the vertical setup, I need to do a lot more of that
Like the repurposing too. If you can though, opaque plastics will be better for the photosensitive roots

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Chance of snow tomorrow with a low of 26? gently caress you midwest! :rant: My potatoes and blackberry bushes haven't shipped either, I'm really afraid of them coming in when I'm out of town now.

Ranccor
Mar 14, 2009

Queen of the net.
I picked up some watermelon seeds today from lowes and stuck them in whatever containers I could find with some compost on the windowsill. Tomorrow ill pick up a tray and some black diamond seeds and try to do it properly. Its there any advice for making these suckers good? Thisll be my first try at growing anything. I live in northwest arkansas if it helps.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've been trying to figure out how to use this gently caress off huge bamboo to grow beans on and I think I've settled on building several bean "teepees" and mixing in some nasturtiums and morning glories for some more color on them. They tower over my privacy fence.

I can't wait for the angry letter from the HOA! :v:

mischief fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2011

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are there any good books or websites out there that talk about companion flowers for different vegetables?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Alterian posted:

Are there any good books or websites out there that talk about companion flowers for different vegetables?

I've never heard of any studies being done regarding that, beyond the old "marigolds on the border of your garden helps keep rabbits away" bit.

That would be an awesome science paper though.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Alterian posted:

Fairly comprehensive list of companion plants (and what plantings to avoid)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

Heres a list of some excellent flowers that attract beneficial insects like hoverflies, parasitic wasps, lacewings, lady bugs, etc
http://www.dianeseeds.com/flowers/beneficial-insects.html

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've heard really good things about the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes" but have not read it myself.

http://rareseeds.com/books/carrots-love-tomatoes.html

http://rareseeds.com/roses-love-garlic.html

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
About pruning, where do I start and how much is too much? I know it seems dumb to ask, but I've been putting it off because I'm worried of having this weird plant with very little foliage, and now I have a pretty bushy plant. I've been pulling off small suckers near the bottom, since they don't get much sunlight anyway, but there are other suckers that have gotten big and kind of full. Can I still prune them when they are like this? Does pruning them like this open the plant to diseases? I'm afraid of doing it wrong and something bad happening, for some reason. What should a properly pruned plant look like?

Also, the foliage, the leading end of each branch (the most outer leaf) is kind of hard and curled under. I'm pretty sure this is overwatering, but I am wondering if it will be better to just water less each time or to water it a whole bunch, then not water it for like two or three days. The plants are in large pots, 5-10 gallons maybe, and I have been watering them daily.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
What type of "plant" are we talking here? Fruit tree?

Spring is generally not the best time to prune anything.
Leaving an open cut on any plant puts it at some risk of fungal infection but in my opinion, its not that likely as long as theres air movement to allow it to callous. There are anti fungal sealers you can apply to open cuts though.

Overwatering is usually exhibited as yellowed leaves. Daily watering is too much especially this time of year. If the soil is not mulched and its the heat of summer, daily waterings might be appropriate

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
Early spring is actually a great time to prune. The ideal pruning time for new wood blooming plants is late winter and followed closely by early spring. New spring growth quickly closes pruning wounds and prevents disease entrance. As far as root suckers and epicormic shoots, you should prune those at any time of year.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Ordered my seeds today. :woop: Now I can't wait until the ground is ready for my tractor for hire to come out and till the garden up. It's gonna be planned much better this year, unlike last year.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Welded up a metal grape trellis to replace the wooden one I threw together last year:

1" square tubing (vertical bars), 5/8" bar (horizontal bar), and a couple of leftover garden fencing pieces.

Also in the photo, you can see the strawberry plants sprawling out under the trellis, as well as the boxes that my wife and I recently added.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

And here's a video walk-through of my back-yard garden. I've typically taken a ton of pictures and posted them, but this is so much easier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzKr3lZYbE4

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dwoloz posted:

Fairly comprehensive list of companion plants (and what plantings to avoid)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

Heres a list of some excellent flowers that attract beneficial insects like hoverflies, parasitic wasps, lacewings, lady bugs, etc
http://www.dianeseeds.com/flowers/beneficial-insects.html

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I wish it had a little more info on why they work. I think that sort of stuff is interesting.

I'm still on the hunt for cardboard. I've been going to liquor stores and getting boxes, but it just isn't enough :sigh: There's an ATV/lawnmower store not too far from my house I'm going to hit up this weekend.

Does anyone have any experience growing celery?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
It's kind of a crapshoot, but do you still have Girl Scouts selling cookies by you? I get tons of cardboard every year from taking home the leftover boxes that Girl Scout cookies are packed in. They're really nice too because they're glued shut instead of taped, so you don't have to worry about stripping any packing tape off them before you use them in the garden. If you see a booth sale by you buy a box of Thin Mints and see if they'd be willing to part with the empty cases. :)

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Got my All Blue seed potatoes today! Unfortunately I'll be out of town for a week so they will have to wait but it's still good that I got them before we left.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I've tried growing some herbs and things from seeds and I'm not having much luck. Out of 40 cells in the propagator, maybe two have come up.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm finally making a garden that I've wanted to make for a while: a tea garden! I'm trying to decide what plants to put in it (and look at the different herbal teas I drink and see what I use the most)

I'd like to hear what other people would put in their tea gardens to give me possible ideas! The area has sunny/partial shady/shady spots. This is what I'm planning so far or already have in another garden:

pots: (haven't done these yet) Camellia sinensis (tea), jasmine, ginger (I think I live a little too far north to do these in the ground since they need 10 months)

ground: (already have) rosemary, mint, sage, rose, lemon balm (thinking about) lavender, bergamont, lemon verbena, pineapple sage, marjoram, chamomile. I was thinking about hibiscus, but I don't know what kind is actually used in tea. I can't find too much information about it.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
My husband and I decided to start a garden this year, not only because my kids have wanted to for a long time, but also to have something to make the backyard look less ghetto. So far we have rosemary, because it grows amazingly here, mint, two big boy tomatos, a strawberry that isn't doing too well, carrots, cow peas, some bush beans, sunflowers, jalapeno, catnip, green onions, concord grapes (both seeded and seedless), and both lemon and avocado trees. I am actually amazed that anything grew at all, much less at the rate they are growing, since I have killed chia pets with a quick glance, but my mother-in-law is the goddamn plant whisperer, and has given us some awesome advice over the phone.

this is three weeks after planting, so far so good.

the grapes, two weeks after moving, they've gone up about a third of the size they were.

I'm not sure if it's the eight years of my husband cutting the grass, and just mulching, rather than picking up the cuttings, or if we just have super soil, but everything seems to just be going well without much other than watering and mulch.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Alterian posted:

a tea garden!

Id like one too! Our house came with two camellias....but they're japonica, not sinensis. Bah

I can recommend borage as a tea plant, has a very refreshing cucumber like flavor when brewed and it has general medicinal tonic qualities. Its flowers attract honey bees and they can be used as a garnish in salads. If you have livestock its a good fodder. Its also a dynamic accumulator: it accumulates nutrients in the soil and makes them available to other plants when it decomposes or made into a fertilizer tea. Finally, it self seeds very successfully so you plant just once

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000

dwoloz posted:

Its flowers attract honey bees and they can be used as a garnish in salads.

How do you prepare them? Do you take the wings off first? :D

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Pluto posted:

Can I ask where you get your coir? I've tried local nurseries but none sell it and I can only find it online with ridiculous shipping charges that I'm unwilling to pay.

menards has bricks of it right now

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
heres some progress pics of some yellow pear tomatoes i have in perlite in my windows - started 6 of them in early feb

will post more pictures tomorrow - they are now 3' tall and I have them climbing up thin ropes

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
I brought home a tomato plant a couple weeks ago for my balcony garden. Even though I don't get a lot of sun, the one I had out last year did very well and survived up into November (warm autumn helped I guess). Anyways, I haven't even transplanted it into the bigger pot I have for it and it's already developed black spots all over the leaves. From googling it looks like the cool, wet weather we had in the past couple weeks hastened a fungal infection. Will this affect the fruit? Should I just dump the plant now and get a new starter this weekend and get it transplanted ASAP?

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
That does sound fungal. You can kill the fungus with neem oil (or another solution) but if the cause isn't addressed it'll come back
The plant would probably still produce fruit but maybe less or lower quality. This early in the game it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a backup

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

ToastFaceKillah posted:

My husband and I decided to start a garden this year, not only because my kids have wanted to for a long time, but also to have something to make the backyard look less ghetto. So far we have rosemary, because it grows amazingly here, mint, two big boy tomatos, a strawberry that isn't doing too well, carrots, cow peas, some bush beans, sunflowers, jalapeno, catnip, green onions, concord grapes (both seeded and seedless), and both lemon and avocado trees. I am actually amazed that anything grew at all, much less at the rate they are growing, since I have killed chia pets with a quick glance, but my mother-in-law is the goddamn plant whisperer, and has given us some awesome advice over the phone.

this is three weeks after planting, so far so good.

the grapes, two weeks after moving, they've gone up about a third of the size they were.

I'm not sure if it's the eight years of my husband cutting the grass, and just mulching, rather than picking up the cuttings, or if we just have super soil, but everything seems to just be going well without much other than watering and mulch.

I would seriously consider getting the mint out of the ground and into a container. Mint is highly invasive. It sends out crazy runners, and it can take over your yard.

I've seen it. I still have nightmares. Smelled drat good on mowing day though.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

Alleric posted:

I would seriously consider getting the mint out of the ground and into a container. Mint is highly invasive. It sends out crazy runners, and it can take over your yard.

I've seen it. I still have nightmares. Smelled drat good on mowing day though.

ah, thanks, I would hate for it to kill off some of the other stuff in there. Does catnip do the same, being from the same family?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

ToastFaceKillah posted:

ah, thanks, I would hate for it to kill off some of the other stuff in there. Does catnip do the same, being from the same family?

Its suppose to be.

I have a "mint garden" which is a patch of dirt in front of my house surrounded by driveway/walkyway/stone porch. This is the second full year it'll be in (I planted it in the fall before last summer) and its about to absolutely explode. I also have lemon balm in the same area which is also suppose to be invasive, but after 2 1/2 years, it hasn't spread all that much. I also have catnip and it really hasn't spread that much. An important thing to note is I have it all in the front of my house (north side) pretty close to the house so none of it gets a lot of sun. I also semi neglect it. If you have the catnip in a nice spot that gets a lot of fertilizer, it might explode more than mine has.

I can take a picture of my mint garden later today if you want to see what 2 1/2 years and 4 mint plants can turn into. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle
That would be awesome. Also, we'll be trimming it very often, the reason we even planted it is that we use mint one or two times a week. would that help keep it from spreading in itself?