Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm curious what the travel statistics for European Union citizens looks like if you don't count intra-Europe travel as international.

Why would you do that though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

I'm interested as well. It would tell you how much EU citizens take advantage of that whole no-travel restrictions thing. I'm curious if it's just a perk that's nice for businessmen, or if it's something Jonas Q. Europe takes advantage of, taking his little Europeans on a weekender to different countries.

Choadmaster posted:

When I worked for FedEx we got 1... but we got to choose which one!

Working for a restaurant, I got to choose between Christmas Eve and Christmas. That's it. No sick time and a week of vacation a year.

It's legal because competition between businesses is supposed to result in them offering better and better benefits to get the best workers to come work for them. Really.

XyloJW fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 26, 2011

JamesJBuffalkill
Sep 14, 2004
A Textbook for an SA Account. I'm Sold!

Orange Devil posted:

Because it's a lot easier and cheaper to leave the country when the next country is only a couple hundred miles away; with the US, outside of Canada, Mexico or Latin America you're talking about leaving the continent and hundreds if not thousands in travel costs.

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande

Orange Devil posted:

http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/l/bl-country-size-comparison-map.htm

One drive across America is comparable to the entirety of (non-Russian) Europe.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Well, it's not totally fair to say Europeans travel more than Americans, when the expense and effort of going from London to Paris is like traveling from New York to Philadelphia. Americans travel all the time, but most of it is interstate. It's an apples and oranges comparison if you consider inter-Europe travel and not inter-state in "amount of travel".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, it's not totally fair to say Europeans travel more than Americans, when the expense and effort of going from London to Paris is like traveling from New York to Philadelphia. Americans travel all the time, but most of it is interstate. It's an apples and oranges comparison if you consider inter-Europe travel and not inter-state in "amount of travel".

Yeah that makes sense. Europeans experience more different cultures though, which was the main point behind the sentiment, I suspect. I mean, you can say one drive across the US is comparable to a drive across Europe, but it's only comparable in terms of distance.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Europeans experience more different cultures though, which was the main point behind the sentiment, I suspect. I mean, you can say one drive across the US is comparable to a drive across Europe, but it's only comparable in terms of distance.

It's true but for Americans to witness a different national culture they have to pay out the rear end for plane tickets, or go to Canada or Mexico. If they go to Mexico it's often tourist-y trap places that aren't really Mexican culture.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

That's the whole point. It's not fair to say Americans are uncultured and boorish because they don't have the exposure to foreign cultures that Europeans do. The simple fact is that Europeans can experience foreign culture much more easily than Americans. It's a permanent geographic difference that cuts both ways -- 100 years ago Americans were sneering at the Europeans for being warmongers who never stopped killing each other.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
If you live in New York there's absolutely no reason. I know the 1000 dollar figure gets cited a lot, but I've had friends fly round trip to berlin for 300 dollars for 5 days. There's also a ton of Europeans visiting the states yearly, it's gotten to the point where if I meet another German I'm actually shocked that they've never been to the states since I would estimate 95% of the people I've met have either lived there or visited for a few days at least. Even traveling through China, Japan, India, SE Asia, comparing the expat communities of Europeans to Americans, I would estimate 2/4 of the foreigners came from Europe, 1/4 came from somewhere else, 1/4 came from the states

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_int_tou_num_of_dep-economy-international-tourism-number-departures

interesting, even with the fact that you can fly from paris to spain for peanuts, the U.S. is still third when it comes to pure numbers (not percentages) of international departures

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Guilty posted:

If you live in New York there's absolutely no reason.

287 million Americans don't live in the New York metropolitan area :ssh:

My wife and I live in Kansas City and were just pricing airline flights to Thailand (Chiang Mai) the other day...$1600pp round trip, and we could save whopping $300pp if we were to fly to Bangkok and take some other mode of transportation eleven hours north. On the other hand we can fly to Seattle, rent a car, and drive to Vancouver for about $425pp. Yes it's international travel but goddrat does it suck to pay for intercontinental travel from the middle of the US.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Likewise, if Canadians rank higher than the U.S., I would suspect that it's because the majority of the country lives near the U.S. border. Just because we regularly hop south to hit the outlet malls or spend a few days in Las Vegas or at Disneyworld doesn't mean we're a whole lot more informed about other cultures than someone in the U.S. who's never left the country.

I grew up near Toronto, and I never fully appreciated at the time how relatively cheap and easy it is to fly to a variety of North/Central/South American and European destinations from there. Then I moved west, and just getting home to Ontario is a round trip of at least 13 hours and $800-$3000 dollars depending on the season, never mind using that as a launchpad to go elsewhere. And I currently live in a city with an airport; if I lived anywhere else in my region, I could be adding up to a six-hour drive each way to that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guilty posted:

There's also a ton of Europeans visiting the states yearly, it's gotten to the point where if I meet another German I'm actually shocked that they've never been to the states since I would estimate 95% of the people I've met have either lived there or visited for a few days at least.

You don't think the people you meet are self-selected in any way? I wouldn't find it surprising that an expat primarily meets countrymen who travel a lot.

The European middle class is also subsidized heavily by their governments and enjoys several times more vacation time than the average American. In short, middle-class Europeans have fewer fixed costs than their American counterparts, and more time to spend that disposable income. Now this is something that Americans tend to either envy or despise, but its not something that you can blame individual people for when they make choices about what to do.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 27, 2011

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It's also the case that buying a lot of the sort of stuff the American middle class does costs more in Europe. Filling your house with 'stuff' in Europe costs more, we've definitely got an increasingly similar consumer culture but it isn't as easy for Europeans to spend their money on electronics, etc. and so relatively cheaper travel becomes a more alluring choice. I guess I'm arguing that going on holiday to Italy is more alluring when you haven't got the option of just getting boxes of DVDs and enjoying the gently caress out of your new home entertainment system (because you can't afford it and so have that disposable income left). Having the holidays to enjoy it might be a bigger reason though, especially when coupled with the greater ease and lesser cost of holidaying in another state (versus the Japanese with similar holidays but fewer options).

Guilty
May 3, 2003

csammis posted:

287 million Americans don't live in the New York metropolitan area :ssh:

Brilliant deduction. The point is, if you really wanted to travel you could as an American. I personally thought this was shown by that 2005 estimate of international departures. Out of all the total number of international departures, the U.S. still holds an extremely high percentage, even though out of the total population it's probably the lowest. Of course I probably read it wrong or forgot other factors

I think the problem is that if you're willing to save up and blow, say 1k on a flat screen t.v. it seems like it'll last longer than a ticket to Thailand. Even if you look at your dvd collection, books, video game systems, or hobbies, or whatever, if anything totals up to 1k or over, you already know what your priorities are. Did you get an iPhone on contract? On a barebones contract that's 800 dollars per year. How many people have iPads?

When I went back to the states this year to visit some friends, we discussed the latest video games and stuff. They keep buying video games and new systems and stuff, easily spending 1k per year in total on systems or games. They asked me why I haven't spent any money at all (since I used to love to play also) and I told them if I ever save up even 60 euros, a ticket to zagreb looks a lot more attractive than starcraft 2 (this was a really hard decision, thank god they gifted me sc2)

Arglebargle III posted:

You don't think the people you meet are self-selected in any way? I wouldn't find it surprising that an expat primarily meets countrymen who travel a lot.

I'm actually an American Expat living in Berlin. I phrased that badly, I meant to say whenever I meet another German

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Just got sent this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTwgPKB-xbE

hahhahaha

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

Just got sent this:

hahhahaha
That's some fantastic back-and-forth.

Why don't I just tell you where my vague segue was supposed to go!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Just got sent this:

hahhahaha

You could've warned me what was in that link, I was eating. Now I feel sick. Flood victims: the biggest free-loaders of all.

It's amazing they can say "The RICH are taking advantage of YOU!" in every hysterical report and then turn around and defend everything the rich do. I know the unspoken "Lazy rich"/"Hardworking rich" is why, but it's seriously disturbing.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Just got sent this:

hahhahaha

"Rich people should be buying private flood insurance! Except for me."

"End tax subsidies to farmers! Wait, did I say that, I mean end them for fake liberal farmers, not real American Conservative farmers!"

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Got another hand written letter today from a guy who said he's running for president:

The English pirated Spanish shippers and stole areas for the early 13 colonies from Spain. Jackson stole Florida from Spain. Texas and the Southwest U.S. states were taken from Mexico. Now the W.A.S.P. that created the fantastic infrastructure there are going extinct due to birth controls since about 1900! In the Spanish American War we should have realized God wants a United State of Earth! Hawaii is not part of America! But we should have annexed Cuba and the Philippines!

Now we should offer annexation to Mexico and build infrastructure there while their people provide the population with the mothers willing to have big families that eventually populate the Universe! We should offer annexation to Iraq and the World's areas that need policing for democracy, capitalism, and respect for God! (and people).

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

crime fighting hog posted:

Got another hand written letter today from a guy who said he's running for president:

The English pirated Spanish shippers and stole areas for the early 13 colonies from Spain. Jackson stole Florida from Spain. Texas and the Southwest U.S. states were taken from Mexico. Now the W.A.S.P. that created the fantastic infrastructure there are going extinct due to birth controls since about 1900! In the Spanish American War we should have realized God wants a United State of Earth! Hawaii is not part of America! But we should have annexed Cuba and the Philippines!

Now we should offer annexation to Mexico and build infrastructure there while their people provide the population with the mothers willing to have big families that eventually populate the Universe! We should offer annexation to Iraq and the World's areas that need policing for democracy, capitalism, and respect for God! (and people).

I don't know what to say. That's a special kind of crazy there.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Was he with the Zeitgeist movement? Their rhetoric tends to portray a schizophrenic, religious left-wing utopia.

That said, long live internationalism!

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

What's with the Hawaii quote? Birtherism?

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Sock on a Fish posted:

Birtherism usually is a more right wing thing. I don't think this is right wing, mostly due to the one world government this would set up. That's one of those apocalyptic things that they are forever against. Global citizen = harbinger of the end of the world, at least in their eyes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
For that guy who had the sister in trouble and her mom thought all people on welfare were freeloaders, have her try the following game: http://playspent.org/ (linked in LF a while ago, but I don't think it's made the rounds in D&D before). I made it to like day 8 before losing.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Funny enough, there actually was a movement to annex all of Mexico shortly after victory in the Mexican-American war: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_of_Mexico_Movement#All_Mexico

It was stopped mostly by racism in Congress, refusing to suddenly create millions of new American citizens who were likely (gasp) brown people. Slavery politics played a role too.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 29, 2011

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

pillsburysoldier posted:

Just got sent this:

hahhahaha

Fox News makes a good point. We should tax rich people at a higher rate and more efficiently. Thanks, John Stossel!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think we should write one of these. I propose something about the government no longer picking up the tab of people who die with unpaid federal student loans. They should have planned better.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Why should people be allowed to steal money off hard working businessmen by declaring themselves bankrupt? They should be sold into debt bondage until they've worked it off!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Enjoy posted:

Why should people be allowed to steal money off hard working businessmen by declaring themselves bankrupt? They should be sold into debt bondage until they've worked it off!

We are already passing those laws. This is easier to twist because the liberal academic elite are stealing our tax dollars to pay for an education they aren't using.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For that guy who had the sister in trouble and her mom thought all people on welfare were freeloaders, have her try the following game: http://playspent.org/ (linked in LF a while ago, but I don't think it's made the rounds in D&D before). I made it to like day 8 before losing.

I made it through the month with $5 to spare. Goddamn that's horribly depressing.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Made it with $550 dollars to spare after I lost my job with the rent due. Clicking on an internet thing saying "no" and "pass" is much easier than real life.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Made it with $550 dollars to spare after I lost my job with the rent due. Clicking on an internet thing saying "no" and "pass" is much easier than real life.

I'm reminded how in Ontario in the 90s, the welfare rates were slashed by 50% (!) by the Conservative government. In response to criticism they released a shopping list that fit within the new monthly allowance. It was essentially a month's worth of bread, rice, and pasta without any kind of condiments or sauce.

Yeah, it's really easy on paper isn't it.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

I got halfway through the month then asked myself why I'm running a simulation of my day to day life.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Sock on a Fish posted:

Probably referring to the annexation of the Hawaiian Kingdom by the US. There are actually a lot of groups in Hawaii who believe that the annexation was illegal and that Hawaii should revert to being an independent country. However, these groups tend to fight with each other a lot and never really accomplish anything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

quote:

Thought all you patriotic Americans would like to know something
I recently discovered about the big department store chain Macy's.

I'm a Soldier, and sometimes businesses show their support for our troops
by giving them a military discount. I was shopping at Macy's and when we
went to check out my sister-in-law asked if there was a military discount.
The cashier replied that they only give military discounts a couple days a
year. That didn't upset me, I understand that businesses run on profits
and so if they don't offer a military discount it is not a problem for me.
My problem with Macy's is that the cashier went on to say that they did
have a "foreigner's discount" of 11% EVERY DAY. They only have to show
that they are citizens of any country but the United States of America. I
was totally shocked. I asked if she was sure, and she called her manager
to confirm. I dropped my purchases and left the store. To double tap it
and make sure I wasn't getting it twisted (since I was having a hard time
believing that they would be so un-American) I asked another sales
associate, and she confirmed it.

So Macy's doesn't support my husband and friends that are fighting for our
country, but they would support the ones trying to kill them. As long as
Macy's supports anyone with citizenship in any country but our own instead
of the Soldiers that give them the right to make that choice, I will never
patronize that store.

I ask you to forward this email and let everyone you know about this so
that we can let them know that Americans support our military, and we are
appalled that they choose to support foreigners over our troops.

Remember, it's not that they don't give us a discount, it's that they DO
give one to foreigners instead.

Foreigners? Why those are the people that we kill! Macy's THIS IS ARE COUNTRY.

In actuality, the discount is a limited time promotion, soldiers and seniors get a 15% discount the first tuesday of every month.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
All foreigners want is to kill honest, decent, hard-working Americans. And we do it by getting 11% off sweatervests at Macy's.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Do you think the author was confusing something like getting your VAT refunded at the airport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Foreigners? Why those are the people that we kill! Macy's THIS IS ARE COUNTRY.

In actuality, the discount is a limited time promotion, soldiers and seniors get a 15% discount the first tuesday of every month.

If you show macy's your jihad card, you get an additional 20% off your next purchase.