Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Diquebutt posted:

The other was an N64 FPS that was focused around killing these...bug enemies.

Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M. probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
Trying to remember the name of a medieval themed arcade game I remember seeing at a Pizza Hut, probably in the mid 90s. It was side scrolling, and had a lot of treasure, like gold goblets etc., that you would pick up for points. Your character looked like your typical Conan-inspired hero.

The one scene that sticks out in my mind is dying by falling into a waterfall, or something similar. Your character would hold his hands in the air and slowly sink down into the water, sorta like quicksand.

It's definitely not the Legendary Axe series or the Golden Axe series.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

SnipeBob posted:

Trying to remember the name of a medieval themed arcade game I remember seeing at a Pizza Hut, probably in the mid 90s. It was side scrolling, and had a lot of treasure, like gold goblets etc., that you would pick up for points. Your character looked like your typical Conan-inspired hero.

The one scene that sticks out in my mind is dying by falling into a waterfall, or something similar. Your character would hold his hands in the air and slowly sink down into the water, sorta like quicksand.

It's definitely not the Legendary Axe series or the Golden Axe series.

Maybe Magic Sword?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jenova Project posted:

I gave up and searched every single C64 RPG at GameFAQs and found it. It's Keys to Maramon, which is in the same universe as Magic Candle. The screenshots at an abandonware site proved it to me. Thank you though!

You give up pretty quickly, Mr./Ms.-45-minutes.

(I am just bitter because that was the first one in this thread for a while that I knew immediately)

(that game is way more awesome than anyone ever acknowledges)

SnipeBob posted:

If it is not Magic Sword, it may be Rastan, though I honestly feel like this just came up two pages ago. But Rastan is about as Conan-inspired as they come. Except Nastar Warrior, its sequelish-thing.

Or, there is the infinitely off-chance you are thinking of something else like Black Tiger, but I really think Rastan/Nastar Warrior fits the bill.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
He's definitely talking about Rastan, lots of games kill you when you fall into water but only Rastan has the sinking+hands in the air+death scream.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rastan/rastan.htm

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I've got one.

There was some game on the Gamecube where you played as a girl in a realistic (as opposed to anime or whatever) fantasy setting, and you could assemble decks of cards that either did an attack when you drew them, turned you into a monster, or summoned monsters to help you fight. I think it was an RPG, but the fighting was real-time and took place in small 3D arenas that you could walk around in. I remember hating it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PalmTreeFun posted:

I've got one.

There was some game on the Gamecube where you played as a girl in a realistic (as opposed to anime or whatever) fantasy setting, and you could assemble decks of cards that either did an attack when you drew them, turned you into a monster, or summoned monsters to help you fight. I think it was an RPG, but the fighting was real-time and took place in small 3D arenas that you could walk around in. I remember hating it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

These are AWESOME games. It's a series from From Software called Lost Kingdoms. Get the second one it's great. Instead of random encounters you run around large areas like Secret of Mana exploring and fighting at the same time. It fixes everything wrong with the original.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I used to play an arcade game at a local restaurant at least 15 years ago. You drive a police car (standing wheel and pedal) and you have to pull over different wanted criminals. The first stage may or may not have been a driving test. I definitely remember one of the first missions looking out for and pulling-over a hippy looking van that looked like it was ripped off from Scooby Doo. Anyone know this game?

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

Seymour Butts posted:

I used to play an arcade game at a local restaurant at least 15 years ago. You drive a police car (standing wheel and pedal) and you have to pull over different wanted criminals. The first stage may or may not have been a driving test. I definitely remember one of the first missions looking out for and pulling-over a hippy looking van that looked like it was ripped off from Scooby Doo. Anyone know this game?

Oh, that's definitely APB!

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
thanks a lot! that still looks fun and I think I just learned how to play after all these years!!

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
Here's another crazy old game that I've been trying to hunt down. I could be wrong, but I think it was window 3.11 era or maybe win95. The details are fuzzy, but I'll try to get them as straight as I can.

It was an adventure game (again, with blocky graphics) where you were an escaped monkey (or maybe the zoo keeper trying to catch an escaped monkey?) and at least the entire beginning happened in a zoo. I think I probably got it on a multi-pack shareware disk(or disc). I remember it being awesome and funny if that helps.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It could be you weren't a dinosaur but some other kinda animal, and I really am jumbling two games together.

I really need to start shifting through a bunch of these old shareware collections, they still seem so awesome in my mind.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

poo poo this might be hard but i played a demo of some game, it was an action-adventure game i guess or a beat em up or something, the graphics were kind of similiar to blood omen 2 i guess but probably older and in it you fought in some sort of medieval fantasy steampunk setting against steam automatons using a halberd or sword, the end of the stage had a bigger automaton boss awaiting you, i think there were human enemies too? thats all i can recall of the game.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
It may have been an arcade game, but I remember the "game over / 10 seconds to continue sequence" was a ninja lying down in a dumpster while a buzz saw is slowly coming down on him... I think it stuck out to me as a kid because of how disturbing I found it at the time...

That is all i recall though. I'd be interested to see the game over sequence again and see if I can have some flashbacks

edit: thanks!

703 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 27, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

703 posted:

It may have been an arcade game, but I remember the "game over / 10 seconds to continue sequence" was a ninja lying down in a dumpster while a buzz saw is slowly coming down on him... I think it stuck out to me as a kid because of how disturbing I found it at the time...

That is all i recall though. I'd be interested to see the game over sequence again and see if I can have some flashbacks

That's the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz9__a8x-I

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

Neo Rasa posted:

He's definitely talking about Rastan, lots of games kill you when you fall into water but only Rastan has the sinking+hands in the air+death scream.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rastan/rastan.htm

It's definitely Rastan. Thanks! I couldn't find a video clip demonstrating the waterfall death, but the opening level looks exactly as I remembered it.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Another one came to me... I think it was for GameCube, it was some weird shooter, where there were two colors of projectiles and you could change your ship to either black or white to become immune to the projectiles of the same color. That's about all I remember except for an insane amount of bullets on the screen at any given time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Another one came to me... I think it was for GameCube, it was some weird shooter, where there were two colors of projectiles and you could change your ship to either black or white to become immune to the projectiles of the same color. That's about all I remember except for an insane amount of bullets on the screen at any given time.

Ikaruga. It's on XBLA, too!

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

Hakkesshu posted:

Ikaruga. It's on XBLA, too!

Thanks for the hasty response. I shall enjoy this tonight.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Neo Rasa posted:

These are AWESOME games. It's a series from From Software called Lost Kingdoms. Get the second one it's great. Instead of random encounters you run around large areas like Secret of Mana exploring and fighting at the same time. It fixes everything wrong with the original.

Ah, thanks. That name sounds right. I only rented the first game, is the second one also on Gamecube?

I think I remember my biggest problem is that right away within the first level or so, I'd basically use up every card I had in my collection trying to destroy an enemy, run out of cards, and then sit there and had to let a weak enemy beat me to death for several minutes until I died. I pretty much just shut it off and never played it again.

Either way, I've always hated random encounters since I grew out of Pokemon and played Paper Mario and the sequel, and it's nice to hear they got rid of that.

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!
Ok. This is now pretty hard, I guess.

There was a PC Game where you have build some kind of fortress on flying stones.
You could purchase various engines, weapons ans so on. then you'd fly around in a 3D world and ram, shoot and destroy other castles. With the resources you were able to expand your stone, upgrade weapons etc.

I think I found the name of the game a year ago through google but now my google-fu fails me.

Thanks

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Nomads ??

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!

It's pretty close but you never saw a player character. And I think the game is a bit older than Project Nomads.
But the similarity is astonishing...

Edit: Ha I got it, thanks to your Wikipedia Article. It's Stratosphere: Conquest of the Skies

Thanks!

genuinebald fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 28, 2011

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
I have two, and they're pretty obscure.

1st one was an educational point and click adventure, in which I believe you helped 3 kids find.. something, with the assistance of a talking owl. Everything was still pictures of the countryside, and I remember there being a portion about roadkill, and a forest warden 'seeing a man about a dog'. I believe the owl that assisted you was very early CG, (1997 maybe) The only other thing I can remember was a cheat mode being selectable after clicking a tree behind the kids in the first screen you see.

The 2nd, was either Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 era, it was a cartoon based.. fun pack, where you roamed around what I think was a house, clicking on random objects for stupid animations and sounds. I seem to recall the main character being a bald, goofy looking cartoon dude. The name in the title was similar to McGee I believe.

Man, really obscure, sorry!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Edit: ugh.

Plunki
Apr 25, 2008
Ahhh,
This thread is my last hope! I have been scouring the internet for DAYS to no avail!

I have been trying to remember a game I played as a kid, but I've got very little to go on. It was similar to age of empires or any of those style of RTS games. I remember there being wood cutters (this really narrows it down...) and that there could be weather like rain (maybe snow too?). It was definitely real time, not turn based.

The closest I can find graphics wise is Stronghold, but it must have looked worse than this. See some screen shots here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1235611
scroll down through the screen shots until you see green grass (about 2/5ths down the page). The grass (dark green!), building styles and view were similar to this.

I played this game sometime back in the 90s (1990 to 1997 probably - terrible memory!), so it can't be stronghold which was released in 2001.

I've already ruled out every standard popular RTS there was in the 90s:
Caesar
Populous
Settlers 1, 2, etc.
age of empires 1, 2
rise of nations
and others I've probably skimmed but can't remember

It must be something more obscure than these. Any help would be most appreciated as I will probably end up institutionalized if I can't figure this out!!!

Now off to read through the rest of this thread to see if I can help identify anything!

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
You'll kick yourself... Castles.

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs
OK, this is a MASSIVE long shot.

I'm trying to remember the name of a ZX Spectrum game. It was based in a city and had a top down view. The colour scheme was mostly white, red, and black. There was an emphasis on dealing with guilds and joining guilds in it.I think it's name was "somethingzen", like Citizen or Denizen. (It's not Denizen, that's a different game.)

I'm pretty sure I had it on a magazine covertape, probably either Sinclair User or Your Sinclair.

As I said, it's a longshot. :(

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Plunki posted:

Ahhh,
This thread is my last hope! I have been scouring the internet for DAYS to no avail!

What about Tzar: The Burden of the Crown ?

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Gleng posted:

OK, this is a MASSIVE long shot.

I'm trying to remember the name of a ZX Spectrum game. It was based in a city and had a top down view. The colour scheme was mostly white, red, and black. There was an emphasis on dealing with guilds and joining guilds in it.I think it's name was "somethingzen", like Citizen or Denizen. (It's not Denizen, that's a different game.)

I'm pretty sure I had it on a magazine covertape, probably either Sinclair User or Your Sinclair.

As I said, it's a longshot. :(

There was a game called Denizen which was on a Sinclair User covertape, but as you say, it's not that.

There's a list of all covertapes here:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/covertapes.html

Plunki
Apr 25, 2008

beef express posted:

You'll kick yourself... Castles.

Hmmm, don't think it was castles. More about building a town instead of a castle (houses i think?) and chopping/gathering wood. Also i think the graphics were a bit better, more similar to stronghold.

Any more guesses?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Was it in full 3d? One of the Lords of the Realm games might fit.

beef express fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 29, 2011

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

zombieman posted:

There's a list of all covertapes here:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/covertapes.html

That's one hell of a list. Thanks. :)

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez

alejandro posted:

Yeah, this definitely sounds like what I was thinking of - and even if it wasn't, it's a game I've played and forgotten the name of. I'm not sure how I encountered it though, I don't think I've ever had a copy of Klik N' Play.

So for anyone who cares (al-azad?) I spent a bit of my free time searching Klik N' Play sites and found this game - The Secret Of The Lost Statue.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Plunki posted:

Hmmm, don't think it was castles. More about building a town instead of a castle (houses i think?) and chopping/gathering wood. Also i think the graphics were a bit better, more similar to stronghold.

Any more guesses?

Did you missed my post, or was my guess wrong?

Plunki
Apr 25, 2008

beef express posted:

Was it in full 3d? One of the Lords of the Realm games might fit.

I remember it being 2D isometric kind of view. The only thing that really stands out as unique was the rain. It would be streaking down the screen kind of on top of everything else...

This may be an impossible task, I just can't remember enough. thanks for trying though :)

Plunki
Apr 25, 2008

Vaos posted:

What about Tzar: The Burden of the Crown ?

Ah, missed this suggestion for a minute!

Very good try, hadn't looked at this one before, buttt it is too cartoony looking, but pretty drat close in view/style.

I think the harvesters/woodcutters/peasants were smaller little guys. no vibrant colours really. just lots of dark green and browns

thanks for the try :)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Looking for a free game I had on my old laptop. It was downloaded from a website rather than on there when I bought it.

The game was an RTS and I believe it had the word 'West' in the title, possibly "Something of Westsomething' - "Tales of Westvale" or something like that. Typical RTS game - move units a set number of squares and attack. Different units can do different things. The graphics were a bit sprite-like, resembling something like Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced.

Would love to play it again, any ideas?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain_Indigo posted:

Looking for a free game I had on my old laptop. It was downloaded from a website rather than on there when I bought it.

The game was an RTS and I believe it had the word 'West' in the title, possibly "Something of Westsomething' - "Tales of Westvale" or something like that. Typical RTS game - move units a set number of squares and attack. Different units can do different things. The graphics were a bit sprite-like, resembling something like Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced.

Would love to play it again, any ideas?
Do you mean Turn-based Strategy? RTS are games like Starcraft. If so it's probably The Battle for Wesnoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I did, and that's it. Thanks man! This is why I love you guys.