Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Mannequin posted:

How often do you guys focus at the hyperfocal distance? Or do you just autofocus on a point in the scene, stop down to f/18 or whatever, then shoot? Because that's basically how I did it when I used to shoot landscapes. I haven't been around a "typical landscape scene" in a long time so it hasn't really concerned me, and most of my everyday shooting is at the larger end of the aperture. But now that I am starting to actually read about this stuff it's quite interesting. So I am curious how many of you incorporate techniques like that in your shooting?

A combination of reading about hyperfocal distances for various lenses and using DoF preview will get you close enough.

Um, because this post should have a picture:

Leviathor fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

Smokey Hills by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

RazalasSol posted:

That's awesome. Was it after a fire?

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007
Pretty much. There was a fire burning behind me while I shot this. Every year, farmers around where I live will burn some of their fields. I have some fire shots which I'll post eventually.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mannequin posted:

How often do you guys focus at the hyperfocal distance? Or do you just autofocus on a point in the scene, stop down to f/18 or whatever, then shoot? Because that's basically how I did it when I used to shoot landscapes. I haven't been around a "typical landscape scene" in a long time so it hasn't really concerned me, and most of my everyday shooting is at the larger end of the aperture. But now that I am starting to actually read about this stuff it's quite interesting. So I am curious how many of you incorporate techniques like that in your shooting?

edit: Holy crap, this was like the 4th question asked in the thread. :downs:

might be different for you because I'm using a manual focus camera, but I just stop down and put the end mark for the aperture I'm using on the depth of field scale a teensy bit past infinity.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Well, I finally got some of the 35mm slides I took last September scanned and processed. I really want to shoot some more Velvia.

Cupressus Sargentii by atomicthumbs, on Flickr
(I may have overdone the contrast a little on this)

Cleaved by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Lichenometry by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I guess these are kinda small-scale landscapes. Do they count? I dunno

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

RazalasSol posted:

I've said this before, but you know, just my take on it. Square crop on the far left, see if you like that result.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Dread Head posted:

This is rad.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

vwoop

Constancy of Waves by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
This thread has been on fire lately. Excellent stuff, atomicthumbs.

dead man's cove by scottch, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

scottch posted:

This thread has been on fire lately. Excellent stuff, atomicthumbs.

dead man's cove by scottch, on Flickr

thankee! I like the water in yours :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

atomicthumbs posted:

Well, I finally got some of the 35mm slides I took last September scanned and processed. I really want to shoot some more Velvia.

Cupressus Sargentii by atomicthumbs, on Flickr
(I may have overdone the contrast a little on this)

Cleaved by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Lichenometry by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I guess these are kinda small-scale landscapes. Do they count? I dunno

Small scale or not, they're all pretty great. :)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
From a trip to Colorado over the winter; taken at about 12,000 feet.

From Ireland, 2008.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 1, 2011

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

might be different for you because I'm using a manual focus camera, but I just stop down and put the end mark for the aperture I'm using on the depth of field scale a teensy bit past infinity.
Just to be clear you'd be safe having infinity slightly closer to the center of the lens than the aperture marker right? I tried getting it exact somewhat recently and botched the background.

Here's some not so recent stuff I'm pretty sure I haven't posted in here.

From the kodachrome thread.

Jean-Paul Fartre
Jun 2, 2008

exitstenchalism
1,3 and 4 are beautiful

B-Hazard
Apr 2, 2011
Pylon walk by Isaac Brownbridge, on Flickr

Derelict sidings by Isaac Brownbridge, on Flickr

Derelict dog by Isaac Brownbridge, on Flickr

Dog of the rails by Isaac Brownbridge, on Flickr

Any CC on these?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Death Valley Road
by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
Some shots from a three day trip to Yosemite about a month ago. The first day was tough shooting conditions; lots of heavy wet snow made it a challenge to keep the lens clean. Had about 15 inches that day.

Day two had great clouds, and day three was nothing but sun.

Here's a few from day one.

The rest here
http://phononphotography.com/p300629364

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's some great looking snow.

Did you get to see any of that weird slush action that the Yosemite creek does?

Video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9p4mFEYXc

I'd guess you were there at the right time of year?

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
I did. The creek under Bridalveil had some frazzle ice formations. I got some interesting shots of it, but I still have to postprocess day two and three.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wanna see the shots!

It's on my list of things to do someday, visit Yosemite in the winter/spring.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
Dangerous stuff. Looks solid, but is mush. I was setup a good distance, on solid ground. I watched two sets of parents let there 5little kids go wander toward the flowing water.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be hard pressed to name a national park that looks better in the winter. :colbert:

It seriously looks like a splendid place to hang out (though my mother insists Yellowstone is quite nice too, I've never had the opportunity to go there in the winter).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Here are some shots I took last month in Hakone, Japan.

Encroaching Mist by alkanphel, on Flickr

Lake Ashi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Ethereal Trees by alkanphel, on Flickr

Marvin Meatbat
Mar 2, 2006
This space intentionally left blank
I am fairly new to photography and my new camera. I'm not really a huge HDR guy, but I was messing around with the RAW version of this picture and I think this came out pretty well. I need to learn the basics of touching up landscapes in lightroom/photoshop instead of relying on the auto fixes for a lot of things...

San Marino - First Tower (Guaita Rocca) by MRBWorth, on Flickr

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
I started reading about hyperfocal distancing, then my nose started bleeding and my head hurted real bad and me got dizzy.

Seriously though, is there a site that doesn't explain it like you're building a loving nuclear submarine that can also fly into space?

I'm not a retard, I promise, I'm just new to photography.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
How about this:

quote:

... the hyperfocal distance setting ... is simply a fancy term that means the distance setting at any aperture that produces the greatest depth of field.

How to Use Your Camera, New York Institute of Photography, 2000.

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Yeah, that was the first site that came up in google, but I have a habit of skipping them because so many times they are poo poo. I was looking at Wikipedia where they have a bunch of formulas and poo poo and I went cross eyed. Thanks though, that site is great.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I'm not really much of a landscape shooter, but I recently visited Mont Saint Michel in France and pretty much had to make a go of it.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Chappy posted:

I started reading about hyperfocal distancing, then my nose started bleeding and my head hurted real bad and me got dizzy.

Seriously though, is there a site that doesn't explain it like you're building a loving nuclear submarine that can also fly into space?

I'm not a retard, I promise, I'm just new to photography.

The sharp area of your image has depth to it - it's not infinitely thin. Basically, it's putting infinity at the end of the sharp area instead of the middle (putting it in the middle wastes some of your sharp).

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

atomicthumbs posted:

The sharp area of your image has depth to it - it's not infinitely thin. Basically, it's putting infinity at the end of the sharp area instead of the middle (putting it in the middle wastes some of your sharp).

This is why I should read more (and should have paid more attention in my photo classes years ago). I had wondered for years if that would work properly, and never bothered to research it. Thanks.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring of this thread. I wish I was in a better position to shoot outdoors more. Most of my best efforts were just lucky shots that day.

DSC_8035 by MarneusC, on Flickr

18mm end of a 18-135mm

That is Lake O'Hara in BC, Canada. I've been playing around with a 1:1 aspect ratio, as I see a lot of people here have done. There seems to be something to it. Did I go overboard on the post-processing?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Love it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

How about this:
It's technically correct, but a complete backasswards way to put it. Hyperfocal just means minimum focal distance at which the far end of your depth of field includes infinity.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Shrinking Universe posted:

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring of this thread. I wish I was in a better position to shoot outdoors more. Most of my best efforts were just lucky shots that day.

18mm end of a 18-135mm

That is Lake O'Hara in BC, Canada. I've been playing around with a 1:1 aspect ratio, as I see a lot of people here have done. There seems to be something to it. Did I go overboard on the post-processing?

I think the trees/lake are a bit under exposed, I would try bumping the exposure up in the bottom part of the image, the sky and mountains look good.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 11, 2011

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

18mm end of a 18-135mm

I like it. I don't think the scenery have been too overprocessed, but my mind keeps battling if it likes the ground or the sky the best.

Cross-posting from the snapshot-thread:

_MG_6236 by azathosk, on Flickr

_MG_6270-Edit by azathosk, on Flickr

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

18mm end of a 18-135mm

God drat, son. I can't compete with that.

UEA Marsh 002 by Gara Von Hoiwkenzoiber, on Flickr

Whitlingham Country Park 004 by Gara Von Hoiwkenzoiber, on Flickr

Law School 003b by Gara Von Hoiwkenzoiber, on Flickr

River Yare 005 by Gara Von Hoiwkenzoiber, on Flickr

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 11, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Dread Head posted:

I'm a sucker for long exposure seascapes, and this is no exception. I love the green tones in this shot, although I'd like to see it exposed at with a longer shutter speed.