Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

yaoi prophet posted:

Fortunately nobody is going to be searching for stuff including backslashes in our data. :v:

Remember where you were when you said this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Remember where you were when you said this.

At least it'll fail safe :colbert:

e: turns out the problem was an addslashes doubling up my backslashes.

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 27, 2011

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

yaoi prophet posted:

e: turns out the problem was an addslashes doubling up my backslashes.

Whats going on here...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

yaoi prophet posted:

code:
// we should protect against SQL injection attacks here...?
You don't say. No super-valuable data or anything, just stuff that would take a couple weekends on some high-end machines to replace. Though I guess since mysql_query() only allows single queries, the built query is a select and the database isn't secret or anything and would take a weekend of number-crunching to regenerate, there's not really much that could be done. Then again, there might be some hilarious way to embed UPDATE/DELETEs into a SELECT because lol MySQL.

I replaced it with a prepared statement, then ran into escaping-related issues because one of the things I was using was a regexp that involved both literal parens and grouping parens and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to escape properly. So I just wound up running

code:
$regexp = preg_replace('(', '[(]', $regexp);
beforehand. Simpler than loving around with backslashes. I don't know whether that statement, PHP, SQL, or all three is the horror here.

No, it's no good. I have read this three times and I have absolutely no idea why you are having a problem at all. Yes, there is almost certainly a hilarious way to embed UPDATE/DELETEs into a SELECT. Yes, there are many other much more damaging things that could be done to your database than simply deleting data from it. No, the database being "not secret or anything" doesn't mean you don't need to protect against this. No, the fact that it would take "a weekend of number crunching" to repair the database doesn't mean you don't need to protect against this.

At the outset, you should have been able to completely solve your problem by wrapping single quotes and mysql_real_escape_string() around all of your fields. If this didn't work, you must have been doing something very wrong, but the fact that you haven't even mentioned trying this is even wronger.

Prepared statements, almost by definition, have absolutely no problem with the escaping of backslashes because correct quoting and escaping is handled automatically. You can't even override it! So if you're still having problems there, then, again, something is very wrong.

There is no circumstance in which you should be escaping a PHP variable for inclusion into a MySQL query manually. Also, as I mentioned, the function you're using to "escape" your string is apocalyptically broken. And even if it wasn't, which it is, you should be using str_replace(), not preg_replace().

yaoi prophet posted:

Fortunately nobody is going to be searching for stuff including backslashes in our data.

yaoi prophet posted:

If people searching for backslashes can break your query then your query is broken. It is very easy to make dynamic MySQL queries 100% safe, and there is no excuse for not doing so. I have no idea what "fail safe" is supposed to mean.

Basically what I'm saying is that everything in this scenario is a horror except for PHP and MySQL.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
"yaoi prophet," do you work on mysql.com?

MySQL.com Vulnerable To Blind SQL Injection Vulnerability

:kiddo:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Xenogenesis posted:

"yaoi prophet," do you work on mysql.com?

MySQL.com Vulnerable To Blind SQL Injection Vulnerability

:kiddo:

Haha, oh christ.

And I fixed the problem just by removing another layer of escaping that I didn't realize was going on. I didn't write the original code that required that comment or I would have just written it to use prepared statements in the first place.

But yes I freely admit that the stupid character class thing is definitely a horror. Fortunately it's one that I managed to get rid of.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

nielsm posted:

MSVC for 64 bit doesn't allow inline assembly. You can still have assembly source files and call functions written entirely in assembly.

Yup. I have some assembler for ticket based spinlocks that requires 8-bit and 16-bit atomic ops, but Win API only provides one 32-bit aligned 16-bit atomic op and everything else is 32-bit or 64-bit. The limiting factor seems support of IA64 which does not permit such short aligned operations.

I tried using external MASM64 only to find that the supported syntax can be very different to MASM, i.e. MASM64 is like a version 1.0 and MASM32 is a version 8.0 with a lot more features. If you trawl the MSDN forums you can find tidbits from the developers.

I ended up bumping the locks up to 32-bit and 64-bit ops for Win64 as the intrinsic operations end up faster than function calls.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MrMoo posted:

I tried using external MASM64 only to find that the supported syntax can be very different to MASM, i.e. MASM64 is like a version 1.0 and MASM32 is a version 8.0 with a lot more features. If you trawl the MSDN forums you can find tidbits from the developers.

I guess that's another reason that e.g. VirtualDub's build uses YASM.

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010

yaoi prophet posted:

Fortunately nobody is going to be searching for stuff including backslashes in our data. :v:

edit: from the Python questions thread:

code:
>>> a = ([], 2)

>>> a[0] += ["boy oh boy"]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/alex/<ipython console> in <module>()

TypeError: 'tuple' object does not support item assignment

>>> a
[3] (['boy oh boy'], 2)

Oh my good heavens this is otherworldly. I can't tell whether it's bad that you just muted a tuple or because it throws an error for changing a list object. Worse yet that it throws an error but lets you get away with it anyway?

:smith:

edit: Tested it myself, it really does have that behavior

Voronoi Potato fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 28, 2011

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think this has something to do with what Python complains about there:

code:
>>> a = []
>>> b = a
>>> a += [2]
>>> a
[2]
>>> b
[2]
>>> a = a + [4]
>>> a
[2, 4]
>>> b
[2]
The += operator for a list modifies it in-place but still performs an assignment as well. So in the case of the list in the tuple, the += operator first modifies the list inside the tuple (which is allowed, try tuple[0].append(1) for one) but then afterwards attempts to do an effectively no-op assignment, which fails.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
code:
>>> a = ([], 2)
I don't even understand how this can possibly be legal in Python. Tuples are immutable, so how come you can put a mutable list inside one?

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

qntm posted:

code:
>>> a = ([], 2)
I don't even understand how this can possibly be legal in Python. Tuples are immutable, so how come you can put a mutable list inside one?

Never used Python but I'm guessing it's just a reference to a mutable list. The reference itself is immutable.

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

Tuples contain references, so yeah. You can modify the contents of a tuple like this:

>>> b = [1, 2]
>>> a = (b, 'a')
>>> a
([1, 2], 'a')
>>> b += [3]
>>> a
([1, 2, 3], 'a')

My guess is that Python sees you're trying to manipulate a tuple's values, fails as would be expected, but hands the operation to the value anyway, where it succeeds since it's a mutable. Assigning a[0] with a simple a[0] = <value> fails as would be expected.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Eliza posted:

My guess is that Python sees you're trying to manipulate a tuple's values, fails as would be expected, but hands the operation to the value anyway, where it succeeds since it's a mutable. Assigning a[0] with a simple a[0] = <value> fails as would be expected.

Nah, it only sees that you're modifying a list. That the list is pointed at by a tuple doesn't even enter consideration.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
tuples are immutable, that is the objects they contain can't change, but there's no requirement that the objects they point to be immutable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
At least .append() doesn't trigger the error:

code:
>>> a = ([1,2], 3)
>>> a
([1, 2], 3)
>>> a[0].append(4)
>>> a
([1, 2, 4], 3)
>>> a[0] += [5]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: 'tuple' object does not support item assignment
>>> a
([1, 2, 4, 5], 3)

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

BonzoESC posted:

Nah, it only sees that you're modifying a list. That the list is pointed at by a tuple doesn't even enter consideration.

I meant at the example posted earlier, where it gives you an error and does it anyway. The sample I posted works just fine, for the reasons you cited.

Still, you'd think that it would either not work at all, or without complaint.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Eliza posted:

My guess is that Python sees you're trying to manipulate a tuple's values, fails as would be expected, but hands the operation to the value anyway, where it succeeds since it's a mutable.

This is almost certainly backwards. Odds are very high that it's doing the append before attempting the assignment to immutable tuple, rather than throwing an exception but deciding to continue on anyway.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

AzraelNewtype posted:

This is almost certainly backwards. Odds are very high that it's doing the append before attempting the assignment to immutable tuple, rather than throwing an exception but deciding to continue on anyway.

List appends aren't in place in python, are they?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

List appends aren't in place in python, are they?

Depends on how you append.

code:
# + does not modify the original list
>>> a = [1,2,3]
>>> a + [4]
[1, 2, 3, 4]
>>> a
[1, 2, 3]

# .append does
>>> a.append(4)
>>> a
[1, 2, 3, 4]
>>> a
[1, 2, 3, 4]

# += does in addition to performing assignment
>>> b = a
>>> b += [5]
>>> b
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
>>> a
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
AzraelNewtype is correct with respect to what's actually happening; a[0] += [5] first updates a[0] in place (which succeeds, because while a is immutable, a[0] is not); then it tries to (redundantly) assign the updated list to a[0], and fails. Since the first step succeeds, you get both an updated list and an error.

The horror here, if there is one, is that + doesn't update the list in place but += does (as well as performing assignment).

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 28, 2011

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ToxicFrog posted:

The horror here, if there is one, is that + doesn't update the list in place but += does (as well as performing assignment).

Why *would* + update it in place? + shouldn't modify either of its operands.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicFrog posted:

I think what they were going for here was an "assignment operator" wholly distinct from their "binary addition operator", but they failed by naming the language after a snake.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

ToxicFrog posted:

No the actual horror here is, why on earth does Python try to do a no-op assignment in this case after already having modified the list in-place?

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

No the actual horror here is, why on earth does Python try to do a no-op assignment in this case after already having modified the list in-place?

If you think about how += should be implemented on immutable objects for about a quarter of a second you'd figure it out.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

king_kilr posted:

If you think about how += should be implemented on immutable objects for about a quarter of a second you'd figure it out.

It shouldn't be! OH HO HO

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010

baquerd posted:

I think what they were going for here was an "assignment operator" wholly distinct from their "binary addition operator", but they failed by naming the language after a snake.

Actually it's named after the television show “Monty Python’s Flying Circus" which is worse.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

arvash posted:

Actually it's named after the television show “Monty Python’s Flying Circus" which makes it OK.

FTFY :cheers:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From the Python language specification(?):

"Augmented assignment statements posted:

An augmented assignment evaluates the target (which, unlike normal assignment statements, cannot be an unpacking) and the expression list, performs the binary operation specific to the type of assignment on the two operands, and assigns the result to the original target. The target is only evaluated once.

An augmented assignment expression like x += 1 can be rewritten as x = x + 1 to achieve a similar, but not exactly equal effect. In the augmented version, x is only evaluated once. Also, when possible, the actual operation is performed in-place, meaning that rather than creating a new object and assigning that to the target, the old object is modified instead.

With the exception of assigning to tuples and multiple targets in a single statement, the assignment done by augmented assignment statements is handled the same way as normal assignments. Similarly, with the exception of the possible in-place behavior, the binary operation performed by augmented assignment is the same as the normal binary operations.
Emphasis added.
I'm not sure what the last thing is supposed to mean.

It seems to say that an assignment will always occur, and that operations may be done in-place. The __iadd__ special method is used for in-place addition. From the description of that, and the above, it seems like what is being done is:
code:
temp = a.__getitem__(0)
val = [1]
if temp.__iadd__:
  temp = temp.__iadd__(val)
elif temp.__add__:
  temp = temp.__add__(val)
elif val.__radd__:
  temp = val.__radd__(temp)
else:
  poo poo
a.__setitem__(0, temp)
The reason it gets this complicated would be because Python doesn't have an "operator[]+=", so it has to be synthesized. I'm sure tuples would just reject that operator anyway, if it existed.

Conclusion: The behaviour really does make sense. I don't have any ideas for making it fail instantly or not throw up, without risking breaking something else, more important.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Every time I read Python code or the bizarre things that Python does I wonder how the hell that language caught on. It's like someone's academic experiment that broke out of the lab.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

NotShadowStar posted:

Every time I read Python code or the bizarre things that Python does I wonder how the hell that language caught on. It's like someone's academic experiment that broke out of the lab.

And yet it's still better than most languages.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

NotShadowStar posted:

Funnily enough, every time I read Python code I wonder how come it's not even more popular.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

NotShadowStar posted:

It's like someone's academic experiment that broke out of the lab.

*coughhaskellcough*

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Every time I read $your_favorite_language code or the bizarre things that $your_favorite_language does I wonder how the hell that language caught on. It's like someone's academic experiment that broke out of the lab.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Toady posted:

Every time I read $your_favorite_language code or the bizarre things that $your_favorite_language does I wonder how the hell that language caught on. It's like someone's academic experiment that broke out of the lab.

Interesting choice of sigil there, given that BASIC, Perl and Bash script are more likely to be described as that thing that broke into the lab and is now hiding, waiting to consume its next victim.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

NotShadowStar posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't look into the intermediate code the C# compiler generates to support all the neat language features that have been bolted on since 2.0

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Toady posted:

So what you're saying is that every single programming language has serious horrors in it and none of them are good, let alone perfect.

I agree entirely.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Pretty much this.

UraniumAnchor posted:

Why *would* + update it in place? + shouldn't modify either of its operands.

I agree. I was ambiguous there; I meant that given that + doesn't modify either operand (nor should it), it's surprising that += does (in addition to assigning).

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

qntm posted:

So what you're saying is that every single programming language has serious horrors in it and none of them are good, let alone perfect.

I agree entirely.

If you don't hate every programming language you have used for being terrible in some way, then you don't know your programming language well enough.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

In the current clean-up job for a website built by about a half-dozen different contractors over 5 years with murky requirements, I have 518 direct references to ConfigurationManager.AppSettings[]. The more fun parts is when they quit adding new app settings and started making derived settings based on unrelated settings. Need to find the public site root? Well, use the public site site map path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Zombywuf posted:

Interesting choice of sigil there, given that BASIC, Perl and Bash script are more likely to be described as that thing that broke into the lab and is now hiding, waiting to consume its next victim.

MIPS asm :q: