Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

quadratic posted:

:siren: paging Ashex and any other Arabic or Farsi-reading Android users :siren:

We can now get proper language support on any 2.1 (or higher) deodexed ROM. Details and instructions in this XDA thread.

It works flawlessly on my Vibrant:

Yessssssssss loving awesome. Does this include sending Arabic sms or using an Arabic keyboard to type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I did the HBOOT + unrevoked on a Droid Incredible last night.
Everything went fine (it was just like jailbreaking an iPhone).

Besides Titanium Backup to make sure everything is safe, we want to get a custom ROM on this thing.

Not just any custom ROM, but one that makes the interface more pretty and/or fun, even more iPhone-like.

What is the best way to get an interface as close as possible to what an iPhone has?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

Besides Titanium Backup to make sure everything is safe, we want to get a custom ROM on this thing.

Not just any custom ROM, but one that makes the interface more pretty and/or fun, even more iPhone-like.

What is the best way to get an interface as close as possible to what an iPhone has?

MIUI mostly seems to be aiming at being iPhone-like but I can't say as to whether it's stable or even running on a Droid Incredible.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fishmech posted:

Where can I get 3.0 or higher for my HTC Desire GSM? It installs CM7 fine with a 2.5.x.x recovery but idk.

Not all CWMs need 3.0 for ext4 - if it's not maintained by koush directly, a few have a different version number iirc.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I've been running the latest version of Fresh on my Evo since January and I'm very happy with it, but I would like to try something different this week.

Are a lot of people using MIUI for the Evo? It is considered a stable rom?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

two_beer_bishes posted:

I've been running the latest version of Fresh on my Evo since January and I'm very happy with it, but I would like to try something different this week.

CM7 RC3 was released yesterday, that's what I'm going to from Fresh.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That's not going to cut it. You need to be running CWR 3.0 or greater to install CM7.

This is definitely not true for the Hero.

I know you said you've wiped before flashing, but did you just do the wipe/factory reset, or did you go into Mounts & Storage and format /boot, /data, /cache, and /system?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am using the FM radio app in CM7 on an HTC Inspire. It is working really well, but the volume is crazy. One notch above mute, it is quite loud.

Is there any way I can have finer control over the volume?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

heat posted:

CM7 RC3 was released yesterday, that's what I'm going to from Fresh.

I'll take a look!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'll take a look!

Make sure you do a full wipe (including data) if you do this or you could end up with some weird issues. Also, the Google apps aren't included with CM7, so after you flash it, you'll need to flash the gapps package, which you should be able to find here.

Edit: And, as always, do a nandroid backup first, just in case.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 29, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I Dont Like You posted:

I know you said you've wiped before flashing, but did you just do the wipe/factory reset, or did you go into Mounts & Storage and format /boot, /data, /cache, and /system?
Yeah, I was thinking he had a G2. I don't think the Desire requires 3.0.

That said, this would be my guess as well, not enough wiping.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am using the FM radio app in CM7 on an HTC Inspire. It is working really well, but the volume is crazy. One notch above mute, it is quite loud.

Is there any way I can have finer control over the volume?
Do you have an audioboost kernel? Does that even apply to the Inspire?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

LastInLine posted:

Do you have an audioboost kernel? Does that even apply to the Inspire?

I have whatever kernel CM7 provided me with.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have whatever kernel CM7 provided me with.
By default, CM kernels have audioboost (at least on the N1). Poke around xda in your phone's area and look for a kernel offered with no audioboost for CM7. They always point it out in the OP. I'd imagine almost any of them would do, some tend toward performance and some toward more battery life, it should be obvious when you look around.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

I Dont Like You posted:

I only did the wipe/factory reset, do I need to do all the formats? I appreciate the help, I've flashed probably 10 ROMs since rooting my phone a year ago and never had any issues. Guess there's been a few changes in the past six months or so that I haven't touched the phone.

edit: Okay, this is what I've done:

- Wipe/Factory reset
- Format /boot, /data, /cache, and /system partitions
- Mounted /system and /data partitions
- Flashed CM7
- Flashed gapps

Still getting stuck in a reboot loop.

dphi fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 29, 2011

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

dphi posted:

I only did the wipe/factory reset, do I need to do all the formats? I appreciate the help, I've flashed probably 10 ROMs since rooting my phone a year ago and never had any issues. Guess there's been a few changes in the past six months or so that I haven't touched the phone.

edit: Okay, this is what I've done:

- Wipe/Factory reset
- Format /boot, /data, /cache, and /system partitions
- Mounted /system and /data partitions
- Flashed CM7
- Flashed gapps

Still getting stuck in a reboot loop.
This may or may not help, but in the past two days I've tried to flash both MIUI and then today CM7 (RC3). I used clockwork mod to download both, and both times I've gotten stuck on the white/green HTC screen ( I have a G2). The only thing that seems to work is downloading the rom on my computer, putting on my SD card and then flashing it from there either in CWM or manually in recovery.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

z3bracak3 posted:

The only thing that seems to work is downloading the rom on my computer, putting on my SD card and then flashing it from there either in CWM or manually in recovery.

This is the way I'm doing it, flashing in recovery. I tried the latest CM7 nightly instead of the AOSP version - no reboot loop, just gets stuck at the HTC screen.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
How long is it stuck at the HTC screen? Because when you flash a new ROM the dalvik cache has to be rebuilt and that takes a few minutes.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

two_beer_bishes posted:

I am in the same exact boat, and after loading MUIU, CM7, and a handful of other ROMs, I'm happily back on a Fresh ROM.

I truly loved CM7, but there were some crazy bugs with sprints visual voicemail app that were killing me, and I kept getting multiple notifications of text messages, and the only way to kill the text/voicemail notifications were to reboot. And I kept getting weird texts regarding voicemail from Sprint too?

MUIU I can see why people love it, but I don't think its ready for heavy usage.

I just needed something that WORKED, and so far, Fresh is the one.

I did try to install some Warm TwoPointTwo ROMs, but kept getting bizarre script errors while trying to install.

If I didn't use/need my phone for work, I would have kept working at the bugs, but I spent too long as it was.

Hope that helps? Kinda? Heh.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

godzirraRAWR posted:

I truly loved CM7, but there were some crazy bugs with sprints visual voicemail app that were killing me, and I kept getting multiple notifications of text messages, and the only way to kill the text/voicemail notifications were to reboot. And I kept getting weird texts regarding voicemail from Sprint too?

Google Voice is superior to every carrier's visual voicemail that I've seen, and it's free. Not sure about the double texts, though.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

heat posted:

How long is it stuck at the HTC screen? Because when you flash a new ROM the dalvik cache has to be rebuilt and that takes a few minutes.

I waited about 25 minutes.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Installed that leaked build of Gingerbread on my X last night. Things do seem a bit snappier, but man is it ugly.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

The Milkman posted:

Installed that leaked build of Gingerbread on my X last night. Things do seem a bit snappier, but man is it ugly.

whaaat? I think you're crazy. I've never been a fan of blur but I think this is a nice departure from the traditional TouchWiz and Sense of other phones.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

travisray2004 posted:

whaaat? I think you're crazy. I've never been a fan of blur but I think this is a nice departure from the traditional TouchWiz and Sense of other phones.

I'm not digging the navy blue theme. Or the button style like in Gmail. And there's some weird background color stuff going on in menus. The spinner is pretty fugly too, but at least in a distinctive sort of way. It's not a visual atrocity or anything, I just don't care for some of their choices, and it could use some polish.

Maybe I'm just a minimalist but I'd just like flat black with that android green for accents. :3:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I dunno, I'm not really blown away by Gingerbread, at least not the leak for the X. The colors are just, off. It has the feel of a poorly themed ROM. Huge red icon next to every notification. Just ugly. I think I see why Verizon rejected it. Rubix, liberty, tranquility, all themed their ROMs way better than this.

Hopefully it has function over the ugliness. It does feel a little snappier, and they have been reporting better battery life already, so we'll see.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Entire Universe posted:

It doesn't exactly get "installed." You know how you can find various programs made "portable" so they go on a USB stick and poo poo? This is like that. There's no installation process, the program is either in runtime or not - just pop open a shell (windows key + r, type cmd, hit enter) and then use cd to get to the directory where your SDK is located, go to the tools folder, and then you can do all those "adb blah blah blah" commands. I recommend putting it somewhere like in the root directory of your hard drive, so it's easier to find.

The ADB program, when run from a double-click doesn't do much of anything because it basically serves to push commands/files from your shell onto the phone. Thus, double clicking adb.exe will just pop open a shell window and then close it - no arguments were presented with the run command. So, just use the terminal window and feel terrifically old-school.
Got it. I thought I was getting somewhere until this happened:

Device not found. My phone's connected to my PC via USB, the drivers are installed and everything. :(

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

melon cat posted:

Got it. I thought I was getting somewhere until this happened:

Device not found. My phone's connected to my PC via USB, the drivers are installed and everything. :(

USB Debugging needs to be enabled on the phone.

Settings>Applications>Development

edit: Also you need to make sure the SD card isn't mounted on the computer

nimper fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 30, 2011

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Got frustrated because my phone was doing some stupid poo poo where it would go into deep sleep then the alarm wouldn't go off. Sooo I went ahead and rooted.

Samsung Fascinate running 2.2.1 reporting in.

Now that I'm rooted, are there any must have apps not listed in the OP I should know about? Any I should stay away from?

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 30, 2011

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

nimper posted:

USB Debugging needs to be enabled on the phone.

Settings>Applications>Development

Ugh... I didn't know debugging turns back on automatically.:doh:

But now it won't let me mount the image. I get a 'Operation not permitted' message. It also looks like I'm stuck in $ user shell instead of a root # shell. Any fix?

nimper posted:

Do you mean I have to turn off USB mass storage? Sorry I'm asking such noob questions. I'm just not sure how to make sure the SD card isn't mounted on the computer.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

melon cat posted:

Ugh... I didn't know debugging turns back on automatically.:doh:

But now it won't let me mount the image. I get a 'Operation not permitted' message. It also looks like I'm stuck in $ user shell instead of a root # shell. Any fix?

Do you mean I have to turn off USB mass storage? Sorry I'm asking such noob questions. I'm just not sure how to make sure the SD card isn't mounted on the computer.

Yeah, eject the drive on the computer and turn off mass storage on the phone

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

nimper posted:

Yeah, eject the drive on the computer and turn off mass storage on the phone
Just did that, and I'm still getting the error message.

sdjknfsjfnsgdlgdsl

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

melon cat posted:

Just did that, and I'm still getting the error message.

sdjknfsjfnsgdlgdsl

Type su in the shell before issuing the mount commands, and then check your phone to allow the access. You are rooted, right?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

nimper posted:

Type su in the shell before issuing the mount commands, and then check your phone to allow the access. You are rooted, right?
Yep, I'm rooted. Had to downgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.2, but my phone's definitely rooted. I tried typing su in the shell before issuing the mount commands but I'm getting a Permission denied message in the prompt. I feel like punching myself in the testicles.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

melon cat posted:

Yep, I'm rooted. Had to downgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.2, but my phone's definitely rooted. I tried typing su in the shell before issuing the mount commands but I'm getting a Permission denied message in the prompt. I feel like punching myself in the testicles.

I know I've had this problem before but I cannot for the life of me remember what was holding it up.

edit: For what you are trying to do, Root Explorer (in the market) will likely work better than doing it with ADB. Once you open the program, click the Mount r/w button at the top and you should be good to go.

nimper fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 30, 2011

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

I switch back and forth between MIUI and CM7 every two or three weeks. MIUI now has good battery life on the Incredible (used to be horrible). MIUI will be the closest thing you get to an iPhone.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

CaptainGimpy posted:

I switch back and forth between MIUI and CM7 every two or three weeks. MIUI now has good battery life on the Incredible (used to be horrible). MIUI will be the closest thing you get to an iPhone.

Thanks!

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Isaac Asimov posted:

Yessssssssss loving awesome. Does this include sending Arabic sms or using an Arabic keyboard to type?

Sending/receiving Arabic SMS works fine. You'll have to install a keyboard that has Arabic support. I'm using Smart Keyboard PRO and it's worked pretty well. (If you go with that, you'll also want to grab the Arabic dictionary and uncheck the "RTL fix" option in the settings.)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

melon cat posted:

You get permission denied for su? Or for the Mount? It should be 2 separate commands.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I tried CM7 RC3 on my Evo. I really like 2.3, but I was getting issues with WiFi strength, and regular data going in and out for no reason. Switched back to Fresh again.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
RC4 already?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sizzlechest posted:

RC4 already?!

Seriously? I just jumped to RC3 last night. What the hell?