Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Anal Volcano posted:

@pattonoswalt
When you hear the episode of Comedy Death Ray I recorded today, you'll understand @TVsAndyDaly is a loving genius.

:woop: I loving love Patton's appearances on Earwolf shows.

Andy Dalys always loving hilarious on CDR so this should be a good 'en.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Oh poo poo, Patton and Andrew Daly? Monday can't come soon enough!

(However, when are they gonna bring back Paul F. Tompkins? He usually does a show ever three to five weeks, and it's been seven weeks. What the dilly-o? DON'T MESS WITH SUCCESS!!!)

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

j8910 posted:

Oh poo poo, Patton and Andrew Daly? Monday can't come soon enough!

(However, when are they gonna bring back Paul F. Tompkins? He usually does a show ever three to five weeks, and it's been seven weeks. What the dilly-o? DON'T MESS WITH SUCCESS!!!)

I don't know if my face can handle the laughter from Patton and Daly together

(I think PFT is working on his Comedy Central pilot)

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
PFT is also in Australia right now

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
I really wonder what production goes into UYD to make it take ~5 days to get on the internet.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

New CDR, MBMBaM, a 20 minute Tompcast extrasode all in one day? And an early Mike Detective? What a great monday!

E: And a new Thrilling Adventure Hour and Nerdist!

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 29, 2011

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
So looking forward to hearing Rogan on Maron!

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
It's a really good episode. More of Marc working out his poo poo with someone and Rogan comes off very genuine. Not too much on the Mencia stuff that was the only thing I was not that happy about. Has anyone heard the Mencia on Maron podcasts? I need to know it's worth the 3 bucks to buy them.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Has anyone heard the Mencia on Maron podcasts? I need to know it's worth the 3 bucks to buy them.

No doubt about it. If you can get one of the phone apps, upgrade to premium for whatever time frame and binge through the backlog episodes (Dane Cook, Robin Williams) all the better.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jet Jaguar posted:

While I'm really enjoying "Walking the Room" these days, I blame them for my recent purchase of Tim-Tams as they started eating a box as I was driving to the store.

Who am I kidding? Tim-Tams are awesome.

It's a shame I can't get Tim-Tams in Norway.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Just spent the whole subway ride home laughing at Alan Rickman. What a masterpiece.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Has anyone heard the Mencia on Maron podcasts? I need to know it's worth the 3 bucks to buy them.

I found the first online, linked from the wikipedia page on Marc Maron.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_75_-_CARLOS_MENCIA.mp3

There's a followup episode, where some comedians refute Mencia, but the link to that file is dead.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
If you listen to the first, the second episode is required listening.

In the first, Maron talks to Mencia, but doesn't really push back. After it finished, Maron talked to some other comics who've had issues with Mencia and did some research, and decided he needed to go back to Mencia to confront him with the complaints other comics had about him. It's the second episode that has the fireworks.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I'm gonna miss Comedy Death Ray.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
It's not a comedy podcast, but this week's This American Life is really incredible. It's about an incredibly strict, probably tyrannical judge in a drug court, which has all kinds of powers that regular courts don't, because it's supposed to be a treatment program. It's a terrifying story and a great hour of podcasting.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm looking forward to Bill Burr on the latest Greg Fitzsimmons podcast. Two pale balding micks for the price of one.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Anal Volcano posted:

@pattonoswalt
When you hear the episode of Comedy Death Ray I recorded today, you'll understand @TVsAndyDaly is a loving genius.

:woop: I loving love Patton's appearances on Earwolf shows.

Goddamn, CDR is on a "best of the best" roll lately. The Jon Hamm/Bob Ducca episode was amazing, and that dastardly gay villian Alan Rickman stole the show (literally).

I love the intro to Who Said It.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Jesus christ Howard Kremer sounds like if Chuckie from Rugrats grew up and ate and drank nothing but peanut butter and whole milk at all times

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

dancehall posted:

Just spent the whole subway ride home laughing at Alan Rickman. What a masterpiece.

I enjoyed it up until the ending. Scott Aukerman sobbing and turning into a leprechaun was just bizarre and unpleasant to listen to.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Binowru posted:

I enjoyed it up until the ending. Scott Aukerman sobbing and turning into a leprechaun was just bizarre and unpleasant to listen to.

Ahahah no that sounds awesome, I don't even care that I spoiled myself

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

big business sloth posted:

Ahahah no that sounds awesome, I don't even care that I spoiled myself

It's both incredibly awkward and incredibly awesome. The last ten minutes of this week's CDRR are only faulted in that they left out the only good segment on the show.

On a different topic, does anyone else think that Maron recorded the intros to the Carolla and Rogan episodes as intentionally over-the-top Maron pontification safaris because he knew those were going to get a ton of downloads? The first fifteen minutes of each seemed like he was pushing that "character" to its extreme, more so than he's done in most other episodes and I can't help but think that its done knowingly. Seems like the type of thing that would drive away an audience, but that would fit his personality.

Also I wish there were clips of the VH1 Never Mind the Buzzcocks episodes he hosted in 2003 because I totally believe him that they were terrible but that's just the kind of train wreck I'd love to witness.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

Binowru posted:

Are you kidding me that was one of the greatest things I have ever heard on a podcast.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Man, some quality calling-in on the Best Show tonight. There's a tiny call from Philly Boy Roy but other Best Show friends pitch in.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

t3ch3 posted:

On a different topic, does anyone else think that Maron recorded the intros to the Carolla and Rogan episodes as intentionally over-the-top Maron pontification safaris because he knew those were going to get a ton of downloads? The first fifteen minutes of each seemed like he was pushing that "character" to its extreme, more so than he's done in most other episodes and I can't help but think that its done knowingly. Seems like the type of thing that would drive away an audience, but that would fit his personality.

I can never tell with Maron what is planned and what is him getting up in his head and spinning out of control. I think it is just as plausible that both Adam and Joe are people that Maron believes he doesn't get along due to his imaginary nerd/jock tension and he goes on and on unknowingly out of either being uncomfortable, stressed, or maybe feeling like he'll come across as a nerdy guy interviewing someone outside his "type".

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I try not to go overboard with the self-promotion on this thread, but episode 21 of Those drat Ross Kids just dropped. The early feedback has been very positive, so I'm hyping it up.

http://www.thosedamnrosskids.com/2011/03/29/episode-21-trash-lung/

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

The beastiality talk on the latest Joe Rogan podcast is great. Between Joe imitating Joey Diaz talking about how awesome it is gently caress to a sheep, and Brian saying he'd gently caress a sedated dolphin, it was just bizarre.

Eddie Bravo: "You'd have like a spiritual connection with a dolphin."

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I really hope that PFT as John Lithgow gets involved with Alan Rickman in this evil plot to steal CDR.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
CDR's been on such a hot streak they could have an episode with Tig Notaro AND Garfunkel and Oates and I'd probably still listen to it. I've been listening to back episodes, and holy poo poo, they really put the "Comedy Death" in "Comedy Death Ray".

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

t3ch3 posted:

On a different topic, does anyone else think that Maron recorded the intros to the Carolla and Rogan episodes as intentionally over-the-top Maron pontification safaris because he knew those were going to get a ton of downloads?

I don't think that's the case at all. His pre-interview rants don't get a lot of love here, but I enjoy some of them. I very much enjoyed the one before the Rogan episode because I've had an rear end full of the lovely irony and detatchment that people love so much these days. It was nice to hear a clear, nicely articulated argument against the "I love it cuz it's bad" bullshit that a lot of people seem to think is an acceptable replacement for a personality.

quote:

The first fifteen minutes of each seemed like he was pushing that "character" to its extreme, more so than he's done in most other episodes and I can't help but think that its done knowingly. Seems like the type of thing that would drive away an audience, but that would fit his personality.

Nah, he's a motor mouth who tends to hyper-analyze things. It's not a character, and it's not exactly a new thing for him.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
I think people go into the Maron casts expecting funny non stop. Like it's been said previously in this very thread his podcast isn't 100% funny. I like the introspection it's kind of a pallet cleanser after listening to non stop hilarity of other casts. I agree about the irony as personality thing wholeheartedly it's gotten to the levels of just stupid. I would kill to see the game show...it's probably not nearly as bad as he says it is.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Ugly In The Morning posted:

CDR's been on such a hot streak they could have an episode with Tig Notaro AND Garfunkel and Oates and I'd probably still listen to it. I've been listening to back episodes, and holy poo poo, they really put the "Comedy Death" in "Comedy Death Ray".

Woah now, are you saying you normally don't like Tig and Garfunkle and Oates on podcasts?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

shotgunbadger posted:

Woah now, are you saying you normally don't like Tig and Garfunkle and Oates on podcasts?

"No girls allowed on my podcasts!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm honestly surprised he didn't include Natasha Leggero to complete the trifecta of women guests that goons complain about.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Natasha Leggero was goddamn hilarious on her last CDR appearance with Harris Wittels.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Binowru posted:

Natasha Leggero was goddamn hilarious on her last CDR appearance with Harris Wittels.

Yea I can get not liking Tig's deal (though not G&O :colbert:) but I don't know who the gently caress isn't down with Leggero.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Tig Nataro is the only anti-funny woman on any of the discussed podcasts. Again, I will say she is a decent story teller but her her penchant for throwing the brakes on other peoples jokes with her deadpan non-sequiturs and derailments annoys the gently caress out of me. I know some of you like when she fucks with people. CDR is built on a very improv "yes and..." structure. With agreement everyone builds the nonsense together. All she does is question the reality of whats being built in the group mind and throw up other road blocks. There are a lot funnier ladies on CDR and I salute them.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

t3ch3 posted:

I don't recall the Carolla one, but I felt that the Rogan one was a (fairly low) commentary on the interview -- specifically, Rogan not "owning up" to his role in bringing Fear Factor to life. The whole Maron opening was against "ironic" enjoyment of terrible media and the failure to accept one's own decision to sell out. It seemed to closely mirrored to aspects of the conversation to be pure coincidence.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

Mark Maron is loving unbearable, he kept trying to push Joe into admiting that he's evil and the devil for going on Fear factor. He's one jealous motherfucker and he ruins his own podcast.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

t3ch3 posted:

I'm honestly surprised he didn't include Natasha Leggero to complete the trifecta of women guests that goons complain about.

Natasha rules, people don't like her?

G&O are generally good on the ones they're on. Not really into Notaro but she was fine on the last CDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

shotgunbadger posted:

but I don't know who the gently caress isn't down with Leggero.

Leggero's Lavender Hour podcast can be pretty trying at times. She doesn't seem especially brilliant so her discussions on deep issues and other new age-y nonsense topics can be a little irritating. The episode with Paul F Tompkins is pretty much the only PFT podcast appearance that I didn't really like.

• Locked thread