Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Save me jeebus posted:

I have a conference room for client intake. :smugdog:

I don't mind most of our clients, and I have never felt unsafe; mostly annoyed. The worst ones are always the ones with petty offenses, or secure, middle- to upper-middle-class parents of dumbfuck kids who usually do something stupid involving adolescent females with a BAC >.08. Those ones have what I like to call "Only Client Syndrome."
I've had a couple with mental illness issues at were a bit touch and go.

That said, the worst I've had was a client's husband who went nuts.

This is just better on the :psyboom: scale
http://www.loweringthebar.net/2007/12/follow-the-chic.html

quote:

Q: Do you have a separate business that you have
incorporated . . . or is this something you do
just in your own name?

A. Sir, I had a vision back when I was a child that
nobody else in this world could recognize but myself.

I know where Osama bin Laden is today.
I know the cure for SARS today. I know many, many
things in this world that other people don't recognize
and don't understand and don't know.

Simply because I follow the chicken.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Are you in the frozen north yet? I'm thinking of applying for a clerkship and it's due today.

Yeah I've been here for a couple months. If you do apply for the clerkship, maybe e-mail me at.

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 3, 2012

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: Follow the Chicken

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

I've had a couple with mental illness issues at were a bit touch and go.

That said, the worst I've had was a client's husband who went nuts.

Speaking of which, how do you fellas deal with intakes of genuinely crazy people? Crazy as in, "The Department of Transportation discriminated against me because they're Bin Laden, I wanna sue for $24million" crazy. I mean, if they manage to wile their way passed the receptionist and actually speak to a lawyer about initiating a lawsuit against the Moon, I have no idea what happens.

I ask because I deal with their pro se, uh, eccentricities on the clerkship side. They all complain that they can't find a lawyer to take their case, and I just imagine them going door to door begging lawyers to do crazy poo poo. They are very very time consuming.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Speaking of which, how do you fellas deal with intakes of genuinely crazy people? Crazy as in, "The Department of Transportation discriminated against me because they're Bin Laden, I wanna sue for $24million" crazy. I mean, if they manage to wile their way passed the receptionist and actually speak to a lawyer about initiating a lawsuit against the Moon, I have no idea what happens.

I ask because I deal with their pro se, uh, eccentricities on the clerkship side. They all complain that they can't find a lawyer to take their case, and I just imagine them going door to door begging lawyers to do crazy poo poo. They are very very time consuming.
In California we have Penal Code Section 1368.

quote:

(a) If, during the pendency of an action and prior to
judgment, a doubt arises in the mind of the judge as to the mental
competence of the defendant, he or she shall state that doubt in the
record and inquire of the attorney for the defendant whether, in the
opinion of the attorney, the defendant is mentally competent. If the
defendant is not represented by counsel, the court shall appoint
counsel. At the request of the defendant or his or her counsel or
upon its own motion, the court shall recess the proceedings for as
long as may be reasonably necessary to permit counsel to confer with
the defendant and to form an opinion as to the mental competence of
the defendant at that point in time.
(b) If counsel informs the court that he or she believes the
defendant is or may be mentally incompetent, the court shall order
that the question of the defendant's mental competence is to be
determined in a hearing which is held pursuant to Sections 1368.1 and
1369. If counsel informs the court that he or she believes the
defendant is mentally competent, the court may nevertheless order a
hearing. Any hearing shall be held in the superior court.
This is criminal though. Civil, I think they just don't take the case or get fired when they won't do [crazy poo poo] like the client wants.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Yeah I've been here for a couple months. If you do apply for the clerkship, maybe e-mail me at hypoclec at gmail dot com.

I've decided it against it - for now. I'm taking the June bar and it's all paid for/scheduled, so loving off to Nunavut for four months would be a mess right now. It's still something I want to do though, perhaps after articling.

You should post your experiences in this thread btw.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

BigHead posted:

Speaking of which, how do you fellas deal with intakes of genuinely crazy people?

We had one a few weeks ago, claimed there was a vast right-wing conspiracy on the part of the Dept of Agriculture and every law-related agency in the county up to and including the public defender assigned to his case ("that loving dyke at the PD" who happens to be one of the best defense attorneys this side of the state). He got a felony menacing for aiming his pellet gun at a crop duster over his house. He said it was a reasonable reaction because organophosphates make him sick or some crap. Then he went on some landlord/tenant rant.

He claimed his PD and the judge (also female) were discriminating against him because he's a man, then in the same sentence said he'd had a brain injury 30 years ago that made him think like a woman, and that he was a "true feminist" and a "warrior for truth." Then he said he wanted to go to law school to "defend folks like me that get ground up in the system" but was averse to "having to defend total scumbags." I encouraged him to go.

My boss ended up charging him for a consult - which we usually don't do - and told him he should take the deal they offered. I asked for and received a cut of the consult fee because I think I earned it keeping a straight face for the whole debacle.

He's the only genuinely crazy one I've had, but we do get the occasional inmate that wants to sue the jail or law enforcement for various reasons; I just tell them we can't help them and wish them the best of luck with their endeavor.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

scribe jones posted:

meeting the red guy for drinks on saturday, think I'm gonna print out some poo poo from this thread to show him. help me law school thread you're my only hope :smith:

Does he want to practice in Seattle? Does he have residency in Washington? Can he not get into a T14? If he answers "yes" to all of these and still wants to be a lawyer then I say go for it. UW on the whole is super tits.

It sounds like he's not really gung ho on law school in general though. In which case he shouldn't go anywhere.

E: Also if he has any questions about the area I'm happy to try to answer.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 26, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One of the copywriters at my job got let go for reasons I'm not entirely clear about but that means there's a job opening! We are very much explicitly looking for an external candidate (we have no interest in promoting me!) so if you have experience writing about travel stuff and are a detail oriented person that is good at getting lots of things done quickly and want to move to Boston and sit in a cubicle next to me and listen to me while I moan about too many people eating too much crunchy food then there's possibly that option!

The job is more about updating existing copy and keeping track of constant changes coming from usually around 3-4 sources of information at a time than it is about actually writing stuff but writing skills are important too. Like romantic, evocative stuff that makes senior citizens want to travel to India, about the smell of roasted cumin seeds and what have you. The kind of stuff they try to explicitly make you forget how to write in law school.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Ainsley McTree posted:

if you have experience writing about travel stuff and are a detail oriented person that is good at getting lots of things done quickly and want to move to Boston and sit in a cubicle next to me and listen to me while I moan about too many people eating too much crunchy food then there's possibly that option!

I have no experience with travel stuff but I have extensive experience reading your Facebook Status updates on how you hate people eating crunchy food so I feel like that makes me pretty qualified.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

BigHead posted:

The older you get the less gentle you get about it. I am co-counselling a few cases with a lawyer in his early 70's. Another prospective plaintiff called him, so I met with the lawyer and the prospect, and the prospect turned out to be flat out nuts. After the nut babbled on for about five minutes, the older lawyer said "Wait. Stop. We are serious, top end, high power lawyers. Do you get it? You are wasting our time. Please go." The nut looked shocked, then nodded his head, got up and left.

Not that long ago, I would have let the nut drivel on for hours, letting him down gently, in the hopes of not offending him. But this new approach seems much more effective.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

Solomon Grundy posted:

The older you get the less gentle you get about it. I am co-counselling a few cases with a lawyer in his early 70's. Another prospective plaintiff called him, so I met with the lawyer and the prospect, and the prospect turned out to be flat out nuts. After the nut babbled on for about five minutes, the older lawyer said "Wait. Stop. We are serious, top end, high power lawyers. Do you get it? You are wasting our time. Please go." The nut looked shocked, then nodded his head, got up and left.

Not that long ago, I would have let the nut drivel on for hours, letting him down gently, in the hopes of not offending him. But this new approach seems much more effective.

I too have seen something like this in action. One of the partners fired a client for behaving inappropriately at a closing (apparently there was a lot of screaming at the closer about fees), and the whole exchange was basically three sentences long. "We aren't going to represent you any longer. Your behavior is inexcusable. We will mail you the file." Click. It was pretty amazing.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cortina posted:

I too have seen something like this in action. One of the partners fired a client for behaving inappropriately at a closing (apparently there was a lot of screaming at the closer about fees), and the whole exchange was basically three sentences long. "We aren't going to represent you any longer. Your behavior is inexcusable. We will mail you the file." Click. It was pretty amazing.

That makes total sense to me. Lawyers deal with lots of other related service-providers, and need to maintain good (and hopefully cordial) relationships with them. A client who abuses one of these people is probably not worth the money, because the client may affect the lawyer's referral base.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I've decided it against it - for now. I'm taking the June bar and it's all paid for/scheduled, so loving off to Nunavut for four months would be a mess right now. It's still something I want to do though, perhaps after articling.

You should post your experiences in this thread btw.

Yeah I was thinking about writing something up, although it seems uncomfortably like blogging to me. Might be an unwelcome diversion from taco and suit chat though, I'll probably post it to the Canadian thread if I do

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Yeah I was thinking about writing something up, although it seems uncomfortably like blogging to me. Might be an unwelcome diversion from taco and suit chat though, I'll probably post it to the Canadian thread if I do

LF's Canada is Worthless thread or is there another I don't know of?

An Ominous Sign: I just realized the tent I bought for this camping season is called the Drifter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Save me jeebus posted:

We had one a few weeks ago, claimed there was a vast right-wing conspiracy on the part of the Dept of Agriculture and every law-related agency in the county up to and including the public defender assigned to his case ("that loving dyke at the PD" who happens to be one of the best defense attorneys this side of the state). He got a felony menacing for aiming his pellet gun at a crop duster over his house. He said it was a reasonable reaction because organophosphates make him sick or some crap. Then he went on some landlord/tenant rant.

He claimed his PD and the judge (also female) were discriminating against him because he's a man, then in the same sentence said he'd had a brain injury 30 years ago that made him think like a woman, and that he was a "true feminist" and a "warrior for truth." Then he said he wanted to go to law school to "defend folks like me that get ground up in the system" but was averse to "having to defend total scumbags." I encouraged him to go.

My boss ended up charging him for a consult - which we usually don't do - and told him he should take the deal they offered. I asked for and received a cut of the consult fee because I think I earned it keeping a straight face for the whole debacle.

He's the only genuinely crazy one I've had, but we do get the occasional inmate that wants to sue the jail or law enforcement for various reasons; I just tell them we can't help them and wish them the best of luck with their endeavor.
When I was a paralegal, I screened calls at a plaintiff's employment law firm for about seven years. I got my share of death threats. You can basically tell when someone is a whackjob if they either a) use the words, "the system," b) use the words "violating my civil rights," or c) are calling from a payphone.

beeradvocate
Dec 24, 2010
Hey, I'm pretty new to the forums and a little lost/confused.

I'm a bright guy, hardworking, all that BS, and graduated from the bottom of my class at a good but Tier 3 law school in Cleveland, OH, with some work in public aid and the DOJ in bankruptcy. Just took the Ohio bar and I'm getting my results in April.

Currently working as an office assistant creating a kanban manufacturing profile, very temporary, and in dire need of health insurance. Next Tuesday I'm going to a spirits meeting, with a chance to meet people from Beam Wine and Spirits in Pittsburgh, and don't quite know what to do there. Anybody have any suggestions?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Law has turned me into an rear end in a top hat who picks fights with underpaid support reps when I am at the office at 8 on a Saturday night. If I have not argued with somebody in over 4 hours I must get unnecessarily snarky.

quote:

Cleo: Hi mrtoodles
mrtoodles: Hi Cleo
Cleo: What can I assist you with?
mrtoodles: I am trying to place an order for pick-up. I am told to enter my billing address. My billing address is a P.O. Box.
mrtoodles: Your site won't acceot it
mrtoodles: Says the street address is incorrect.
mrtoodles: That's not true. I receive mail there allll the time.
Cleo: Unfortunately our site will not accept it if it is PO Box :(
mrtoodles: Well the credit card company will not accept the charge without the proper billing address.
mrtoodles: You're telling me that anybody who uses a PO Box for their billing address is unable to use your site?
Cleo: For security reasons we do not accept POBox
mrtoodles: What exactly is unsecure about a PO Box? I had to prove my identity to get it.
mrtoodles: My credit card companies use it as my billing address.
mrtoodles: What security reason, exactly?
mrtoodles: Are you telling me that Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are all unsecure because they accept PO Boxes? Should we let them know?
Cleo: For billing information it is no problem having a PO Box
Cleo: But restaurants will not accept PO Box as a delivery address
mrtoodles: Ok great. Your site asks me for billing address and that is what I put in... my PO Box.
mrtoodles: The very first thing I told you is that I was trying to place an order for pick-up.
mrtoodles: I am not asking them to deliver it.
Cleo: The only information we need for the card is your zip code
mrtoodles: So I can leave the street address blank? And it's not a problem? But if I put a PO Box in there that you won't use anyways it's a security issue?
mrtoodles: No, sorry Cleo. I just tried that. It tells me street address should not be empty.
Cleo: For the address
Cleo: Use the restaurants address
mrtoodles: What if they're not in the same zip code as me?
Cleo: That should not effect the payment.
Cleo: The billing zipcode youer being delivered to does not need to match the zipcode on card
mrtoodles: Oh ok so you were fibbing when you said you needed my zip code for the card?
Cleo: I was mistaken, I thought you meant something different
Cleo: I do apologize for the misinformation
mrtoodles: Ok I think I got it. Thank you for telling me how to lie to your amazingly poorly-designed website to get what I wanted Cleo.
Cleo: Your welcome?
Cleo: Don't hesitate to buzz me again if u need me, i'm here 24/7. Thank u for choosing us.
mrtoodles: Wow what country are you in? No labor laws much? That's insane.
mrtoodles: Bye.

Sad thing is, I used to be a support rep. I don't think I ever would have put up with that attitude. I am genuinely disturbed with myself.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigHead posted:

1L summer, interning at small claims court, had a woman come in wanting to sue Avis Rent-A-Car because they stole her car seven years prior because she had rented a car ten years prior that got side-swiped while it was parked on the street, and also she was getting on the bus and she heard a guy talking about bombing her and she looked and he was wearing an Avis shirt. Then three months later, she was suing Safeway in small claims because a cashier was talking about bombing Eddie Murphy.

In both instances, I told her that small claims is only for money damages and she's asking for injunctive relief, so she needs to refile her lawsuit across the street in the main courthouse.

Your Government At Work.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
edit: meh.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 27, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mrtoodles posted:

Law has turned me into an rear end in a top hat who picks fights with underpaid support reps when I am at the office at 8 on a Saturday night. If I have not argued with somebody in over 4 hours I must get unnecessarily snarky.

Sad thing is, I used to be a support rep. I don't think I ever would have put up with that attitude. I am genuinely disturbed with myself.
drat, biglaw is evil.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mrtoodles posted:

Cleo was a pro though

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Cleo was a pro though

CALL ME NOW FOR YA FREE READIN

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Abugadu posted:

CALL ME NOW FOR YA FREE READIN

Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same one, it seems like she probably should have landed as a customer service person at a takeout place by now

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
Whoa when did this thread get moved?

How do I blue book cite oral argument at SCOTUS? I can't seem to find anything in BB about this.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009

calmasahinducow posted:

How do I blue book cite oral argument at SCOTUS? I can't seem to find anything in BB about this.
Maybe look under transcripts? It's rule 10.8.3, on page 96-97 in my 18th ed. BB. Example they give is "Transcript of Oral Argument at 26, Eisentrager, 339 U.S. 763 (No. 306).

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas

intensive purposes posted:

Maybe look under transcripts? It's rule 10.8.3, on page 96-97 in my 18th ed. BB. Example they give is "Transcript of Oral Argument at 26, Eisentrager, 339 U.S. 763 (No. 306).

Thanks

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

calmasahinducow posted:

Why are you citing oral args? I mean I hope it's a sourcecite or that you're writing a paper specifically on oral arguments, because man those things are like 99% the justices mocking the gently caress out of counsel.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

19th ed woot.

Transcript of Oral Argument at 11, Ayers v. Belmontes, 126 S. Ct. 469 (2006) (No. 05-493).

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mrtoodles posted:

19th ed woot.

Transcript of Oral Argument at 11, Ayers v. Belmontes, 126 S. Ct. 469 (2006) (No. 05-493).

Things I will be tested on in two weeks in order to see if I can go on to the writing component of the law review competition: right here.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Classchat:

Duke hasn't hosed the dog this year and it looks like I'll have a fair shot at pretty much every class I'm interested in for the fall semester. But I obviously can't take them all, so I have a few questions.

-I'm going to take Evidence eventually, but should I try to lock it down now or can it wait for a while? (Will it help with the 2L job search, or not at all?)
-Is OCI's discord a good reason not to grab a clinic right now, or will it really not matter?
-Other than Evidence, is there anything I absolutely must try to lock down? I'm not super interested in IP or Tax (although I'd like to try them sometime) and so far I've just been looking at the cool stuff. Am I missing anything?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Sulecrist posted:

Classchat:

Duke hasn't hosed the dog this year and it looks like I'll have a fair shot at pretty much every class I'm interested in for the fall semester. But I obviously can't take them all, so I have a few questions.

-I'm going to take Evidence eventually, but should I try to lock it down now or can it wait for a while? (Will it help with the 2L job search, or not at all?)
-Is OCI's discord a good reason not to grab a clinic right now, or will it really not matter?
-Other than Evidence, is there anything I absolutely must try to lock down? I'm not super interested in IP or Tax (although I'd like to try them sometime) and so far I've just been looking at the cool stuff. Am I missing anything?

1. I haven't taken it yet (that's probably happening for me this fall as a 3L), but I kind of wish I did. When my firm asked for a list of stuff I would have completed before this summer, they specifically asked if I had Evidence. What I'm saying is that it might not affect OCI chances but it's something at least my firm was interested in.

2. Don't have a lot of advice on this one, sorry. I don't have a clinic under my belt yet in law school but I did work at one after undergrad so maybe employers viewed it as a bit of a wash in my case. Probably not but at least I had some legal work besides 1L summer under my belt.

3. Corporations (or Business Associations, whatever it's called at Duke), which I found pretty hard since I have so little finance background and my prof was way into all that stuff. Still glad I took it even though I got my one meh grade in law school through that class. It's been recommended to me by many people (practioners and professors alike) to take tax at some point so maybe now is the time for you.

Another thought: If you have any interest in getting some drafts going for publications, grab a seminar or two this year. One of the good things I've done with my schedule is really up the amount of legal writing I have to do. It's been a bitch but I feel better about researching and stuff now then I did. Plus those classes tend to be on cool subjects and with fewer people in them a lot of schools relax the curve.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Give tax a try sooner rather than later - it has a different feel than other areas of law, and if you find out you like it, you should find out early enough that you can take a bunch of tax courses in your 3L year.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

entris posted:

Give tax a try sooner rather than later - it has a different feel than other areas of law, and if you find out you like it, you should find out early enough that you can take a bunch of tax courses in your 3L year.

I agree. I was an English major and the idea of liking tax law never even crossed my mind. I took it early my 2L year because it was recommended to me, and it turns out I love it. I'm glad I left myself the time to take more.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

incogneato posted:

I agree. I was an English major and the idea of liking tax law never even crossed my mind. I took it early my 2L year because it was recommended to me, and it turns out I love it. I'm glad I left myself the time to take more.

I really enjoyed tax but didn't take it until 3L and regretted it immediately.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
Too many tax lawyers up in here.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Sigma, I have a small favor to ask (it involves an admitted student visiting Boalt soon). Find me in irc or ask one of the following sacks of poo poo for my email address:

Hiddenreplaced
Atlas
Prussian
Warszawa
Holybartender
MFH
tau

I'm sure other people have it but they definitely do.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

10-8 posted:

Seriously, stop diluting my loving market, assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I really enjoyed tax but didn't take it until 3L and regretted it immediately.

Me too, I crammed my 2nd 3L semester with as much tax as I could because goddamn tax owns

10-8 posted:

your time has passed, make way for the new blood :jihad: