Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
It's March in the Political Science department, which means that all the seniors are planning on making it big!

Thank god that Yale has quotas for mediocre Minnesota students!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

10-8 posted:

Too many tax lawyers up in here.

Writin' a tax paper for law school over here.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

seal it with a kiss posted:

It's March in the Political Science department, which means that all the seniors are planning on making it big!

haha cool

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

10-8 posted:

Too many tax lawyers up in here.

Sounds like the goon law firm is going to have a strong tax department.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Vander posted:

Writin' a tax paper for law school over here.

Stop it, there are no jobs in tax.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

MaximumBob posted:

Stop it, there are no jobs in tax.
I only blame myself. The archived editions of this thread are filled with my posts describing the champagne wishes and caviar dreams that come with being a tax lawyer.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

I only blame myself. The archived editions of this thread are filled with my posts describing the champagne wishes and caviar dreams that come with being a tax lawyer.

And you should blame yourself. It's your fault.

Seriously, for the benefit of those of you who are not 10-8, the problem with a career in tax is that you can do tax planning work which basically means to earn a living you need biglaw credentials. Or you can do tax controversy work and represent taxpayers in which case you're going to need biglaw credentials or likely make very little money for years, or you can represent the government in which case you're going to have to beat out hundreds of other people for a position.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 30, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

quote:

Hello,

My name is Roxana [redacted] and I am an editor from Journal of legal studies, Iasi, Romania. I was reading your articles on SSRN and I want to ask you if you are interested in publish in our journal. You can find out more about it on http://jls.upa.ro

Waiting for your answer,

Roxana

What the hell

e: I feel like this is how people end up being trafficked

Petey fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 30, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
A smart UVA student has started a little side business selling shirts:

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

gohuskies posted:

That's just misleading. Selling t-shirts is a job.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
Anyone going to the Columbia or NYU admitted students day this week?

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Trash Can Man posted:

I'll be at the CLS one. I'm actually about to leave for the airport.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If you are a patent attorney with a telecom background, look around California. There is a dearth of us here.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

gohuskies posted:

I paid $40,000 a year in tuition and all I got was a job selling this stupid t-shirt.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 30, 2013

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Stop posted:

I'll be at the NYU one for Friday and Saturday.

Didn't you also get into Columbia?

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 30, 2013

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Stop posted:

Yeah but NYU's giving me the stipend to go to ASW and it's impossible to fit the Columbia one into my schedule.

You hear back from dirty Cardinal yet or follow up w/ the Berk waitlist thing?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

seal it with a kiss posted:

I just...no. No.

(Also I'm lollin', because Yale does pretty much all its admitting before the 1st of April, and admit weekend is like...in two weeks, so the chances of this person getting in are incredibly slim.)

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER

Petey posted:

What the hell

e: I feel like this is how people end up being trafficked

It'll probably be more like those Nigerian scams than human-trafficking."We have your article AT THE PRESS RIGHT NOW (but just need $1000 USD cash, Western Union, or Credit to settle a dispute with the publisher)"

I'm getting antsy waiting to hear back from the Berkman Center. I'm guessing I didn't get a summer research position, but I just want some closure goddamnit.

Edit: just checked the website. What's your article about?

Damn Phantom fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 30, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

drat Phantom posted:

It'll probably be more like those Nigerian scams than human-trafficking."We have your article AT THE PRESS RIGHT NOW (but just need $1000 USD cash, Western Union, or Credit to settle a dispute with the publisher)"

I'm getting antsy waiting to hear back from the Berkman Center. I'm guessing I didn't get a summer research position, but I just want some closure goddamnit.

I didn't hear back until midmay.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

The Rokstar posted:

If you are a patent attorney with a telecom background, look around California. There is a dearth of us here.
I get goinhouse.com alerts, and there seem to be open in-house positions at a lot of the big tech companies along the west coast - Qualcomm, Oracle, Intel, Microsoft, etc.

Portland seems nice.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
So I found a guy who was interested in hiring me, had $7,000 from my school available to pay him to hire me, sent in my resume and writing sample.... radio silence from him. Won't even respond to e-mails.

Don't go, no jobs, can't pay someone to hire you.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Any Columbia goons here have homies in the B-School? One of my best friends just got in and I was hoping to connect him to some good folks for some Q&A.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MaximumBob posted:

Seriously, for the benefit of those of you who are not 10-8, the problem with a career in tax is that you can do tax planning work which basically means to earn a living you need biglaw credentials. Or you can do tax controversy work and represent taxpayers in which case you're going to need biglaw credentials or likely make very little money for years, or you can represent the government in which case you're going to have to beat out hundreds of other people for a position.
I have a job contradicting every word in this post

Y'all just not ballin like me :snoop:

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I have a job contradicting every word in this post

Y'all just not ballin like me :snoop:

You were a Darrow Scholar at UMich, right? Once upon a time those were BigLaw credentials.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

sigmachiev posted:

Any Columbia goons here have homies in the B-School? One of my best friends just got in and I was hoping to connect him to some good folks for some Q&A.

Well I guess if you're just talking to the Columbia students I'll stay out of it...

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

HiddenReplaced posted:

Well I guess if you're just talking to the Columbia students I'll stay out of it...

Ha okay my bad for assuming proximity was necessary. I'll hit you up in #lawgoons

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 17, 2011

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Anybody coming down to the UVA tourney this weekend? PM me!

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

qwertyman posted:

If anybody meets a guy with the initials NZ at this thing, try to interact with him as little as possible or you might regret it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ewr2870 posted:

You were a Darrow Scholar at UMich, right? Once upon a time those were BigLaw credentials.
Oh I thought he meant you had to have worked in Biglaw

i should never doubt Bob

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh I thought he meant you had to have worked in Biglaw

i should never doubt Bob

Yeah, I just meant you had to have a resume that would give you a shot at Biglaw in the first place.

Like everything else in this field, if you have great options you'll have great outcomes. For most people the outcomes aren't so great.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

qwertyman posted:

I'll be there, but I will be drunk the entire time.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Trash Can Man posted:

If anyone is going to be at NYU ASD tomorrow, come watch the 11 a.m. Property lecture so I can stare the visitors down and try to figure out which of them are goons.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Christ. If you ever want to write a scholarly paper, write it on attorney's fee litigation. The law is such a jumbled loving mess on that point.

For every other field of law in Texas, you are entitled to all documents a testifying expert reviewed in making his testimony. Except when an attorney goes to testify that his fees are reasonable and necessary, you can't exclude an attorney's testimony if he fails to produce his bills that you know exist and that he testifies exist. :saddowns:

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003
Anyone looking for a room in Chicago from May until August (or beyond!) or willing to post a subletter wanted ad on their school listserv for me? One room in a 2BR/1BA, in-unit laundry, fully furnished. $600/mo. (negotiable) + utilities ($50-75). The place is about 1/4 mi. (a few blocks) from the Damen Blue Line in Wicker Park, roughly a 10-15 min. subway ride into downtown.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
We all know the ABA doesn't give a poo poo about us penniless paupers (and by penniless I mean we have staggeringly negative wealth, so penniless would be an improvement). But Barbara Boxer has officially entered the fray. Oh Barb, you're so swell :swoon:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/watch-out-law-schools-united-states-senators-want-you-to-stop-lying/#more-65517

quote:

President
American Bar Association
740 15th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20005-1019

Dear Mr. Zack:

As you know, recent news articles have raised concerns about the reporting of admissions and post-graduation information by the American Bar Association and law schools across the country. It is essential that students deciding if and where to attend law school have access to information that is accurate and transparent. The ABA, as the accrediting body charged with oversight of the nation’s law schools, must ensure standards and accountability.

As the economy continues to recover from the recession, many new law school graduates are struggling to find jobs as attorneys. According to Northwestern University, at least 15,000 legal jobs with large firms have disappeared since 2008. The Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that the number of people employed in legal services has decreased from a high of 1.2 million in 2007, to less than 1 million in 2009. Experts predict that fewer than 30,000 new attorney positions per year will be available to the more than 44,000 law school graduates entering the marketplace each year.

This very serious problem takes on greater significance when viewed in the context of news articles highlighting law schools that allegedly falsify post-graduation and salary information in attempts to increase their position in the annual U.S. News and World Report rankings.

Most students reasonably expect to obtain post-graduation employment that will allow them to pay off their student loan debts, and rely on this information – which may be false at worst and misleading at best – to inform their decision.

As reported in the New York Times and other publications, the ABA allows law schools to report salary information of the highest earning graduates as if it were representative of the entire class. Also, when reporting critical post-graduation employment information, law schools are not distinguishing between graduates practicing law full-time from those working part-time or in non-legal fields.

I understand that some ABA members have been pressing for reform, that the ABA has appointed committees to review ways to increase oversight and transparency, and that U.S. News and World Report has requested greater transparency from law school deans. These are good first steps, but more must be done to ensure potential students have a full understanding of the costs and benefits of a legal education.

I am requesting that you provide me with a detailed summary of the ABA’s plans to implement reforms to its current procedures to ensure access to accurate and transparent information for prospective law school students.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Babs posted:

"I am requesting that you provide me with a detailed summary of the ABA’s plans to implement reforms to its current procedures to ensure access to accurate and transparent information for prospective law school students."

WHAT NOW STEVE? WHAT NOW?

edit:

Dear Barabara,

I don't have anything like that because it takes the ABA about 26.2 years to respond to any cultural shift in the legal market, please write whoever is president in 2037.

Cheers,

Steve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Is anybody going to the Tenenbaum oral argument before the First Circuit Monday? Seems like it'd be a good way to get some nerdlaw cred in.

Also, where once there was but a ball of anxiety and rejection e-mails, there is a new comic