Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rendicil
Mar 30, 2003
I like to piss in the cheerios.
I just began It by Stephen King for probably the 4th time. Sometimes, you just want to take a break from reading your normal stuff and get back to a childhood favorite. I think of classic books from Stephen King as my palate cleanser in between meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

Just finished the last book "The Eagle" in Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicle's. This was a very well written Arthurian Legend series - 9 books in all. The series starts with the Roman's vacating Brittania and ends with Arthur's crowning moment.

A nice twist, which isn't a spoiler is that the author writes a mini-story around Excalibur - in the book its a sword with "magical" properties because it was formed w/ ore from a meteorite. Hence its strength - simple but elegant.

All in all I'd give it a 10 out of 10. Excellent storyline (even though well known), plot development (Cornwall vs Pendragon), and characters (two generations). I might just read it again.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Picked up Rashomon and other stories today. I just watched (and loved) the movie and I'm curious to see how it compares. I also grabbed a couple of used books, too: Stephen Bach's Final Cut a book about Heaven's Gate, the movie that killed an entire film studio, and Prometheus Bound, another Greek tragedy I've been meaning to read.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Started seriously reading Sarita Mandanna's Tiger Hills today. I kind of took a risk buying it since this is her first book and it was just published a little over a week ago but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's about the relationship between two young people in late-1800s South India, from when they were inseparable best friends as little kids to when the boy falls in love with the girl, even though she swore to marry a famous hunter when she was just ten and stands by that even when she grows up. It's not usually my kind of story, but the prose is really good so far. I'm still not too far into it, but I'm really liking this so far

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

barkingclam posted:

Picked up Rashomon and other stories today. I just watched (and loved) the movie and I'm curious to see how it compares. I also grabbed a couple of used books, too: Stephen Bach's Final Cut a book about Heaven's Gate, the movie that killed an entire film studio, and Prometheus Bound, another Greek tragedy I've been meaning to read.

Akutagawa is quite the story teller and I hope you enjoy his work.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A third of the way into Old Man's War by John Scalzi, voted the best SFF book of the last decade on Tor.com

It's absolutely hilarious and full of a ton of nifty ideas. I particularly like that every character has an overly friendly computer implanted in their brain, and the main character names his "rear end in a top hat". Also there is a pretty cool gay secondary character who has had some good lines.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
Just started The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm quite a bit behind, I know! I've been meaning to read it for years, and decided to finally start it. It's quite funny so far (first dozen pages or less).

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Just started Pink Boots and a Machete. It's about Mireya Mayor, the host of the National Geographic Wild channel. I'm not too far in, but it's really interesting. She goes from being a cheerleader for the Miami Dolphins to a jungle explorer. Really inspires the urge to travel, and I'm only a few chapters in. Some of the stories and pictures she hints at are just goddamn insane (one day from death on her first journey, sleeping on a mountainside in a tent held up by a single pin, charging gorillas). Just the idea that this stuff actually happened to a person is amazing.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 21, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just started the Doc Savage pulp serial novels, from the thirties -- the first one's The Man in Bronze.

It's pretty hilariously bad and also pretty hilariously awesome, at least so far. There are several hundred of them, so I'll see how far I get. I may do a thread on thirties pulp sometime soon -- cover Doc Savage, Fu Manchu, perhaps a few others.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Just got Women by Bukowski and And the Hippos were Boiled in their Tanks by Burroughs and Kerouac. Have started on Women and it's pretty good so far. The simple and straightforward narrative was just what I needed after reading books like Naked Lunch and Gravity's Rainbow >_<

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I myself have finally found Deep Black by Andy McNab (took me ages to find this...) and have started it. Very good read, as it's a typical McNab. Also got Brute Force when I got Deep Black, as my next read; since I didn't want to go any further into his series without reading the others.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm almost halfway through The Trial. It's interesting how K. changes as he realizes more about the goings-on behind the trial; I love how arrogant he's getting. :3:
Also just started On the Road by Jack Kerouac. Only 40 pages in but I like the style. It was recommended to me by Doug on the show Weeds, ha. ALSO This morning the university library emailed me saying my request of The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin came in. I friggin love the library but 3 books at once is my limit.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I've made a start on Dante's Inferno, the Penguin Classic version translated by Robin Kirkpatrick. I read Cantos 1-10 last night and was surprised at how quickly those two chaps breeze on through those circles of hell, Virgil is a power walker!

I'm not too sure what to make of this translation. I awaited the infamous line 'abandon all hope ye who enter here' and was instead greeted with 'surrender as you enter every hope you have'. It's hard to know which translation is moth faithful to the original text, although I admit I like Kirkpatricks as I looked upon the Hellgate in a totally new way.. I've also noticed he puts a translators spin on certain names. In circle 3 he is talking to Ciacco, yet in the English he is called Hoggo. Hmm.

palin99999
Dec 24, 2010
I just started The Given Day by Dennis Lehane.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I've made a start on Dante's Inferno, the Penguin Classic version translated by Robin Kirkpatrick. I read Cantos 1-10 last night and was surprised at how quickly those two chaps breeze on through those circles of hell, Virgil is a power walker!

I'm not too sure what to make of this translation. I awaited the infamous line 'abandon all hope ye who enter here' and was instead greeted with 'surrender as you enter every hope you have'. It's hard to know which translation is moth faithful to the original text, although I admit I like Kirkpatricks as I looked upon the Hellgate in a totally new way.. I've also noticed he puts a translators spin on certain names. In circle 3 he is talking to Ciacco, yet in the English he is called Hoggo. Hmm.

Internet says my complete set (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso) is the best. It's translated by Mandelbaum.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

I'm just starting High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. I read Juliet, Naked back in January as my inaugural book for 2011's plan to read 52 books this year, and I really enjoyed it. I've heard this one is even better, so I finally gave in and picked up a copy at a used bookshop. Hopefully I like it as well as I did Juliet, Naked.

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!
Wen't and picked up "The Lost Gate" by Orson Scott Card on audio book (I do a lot of driving). I listened to the entire Ender/Shadow saga on CD and I'm really looking forward to hearing part 1 of the Mirthmages saga. There's just something about Stefan Rudniki's voice that is so soothing.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

soupcan58 posted:

I'm just starting High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.

One of my favorite books ever. Such a great story.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I just started The Judging Eye by R. Scott Bakker, the first book of the Aspect-Emperor trilogy. We used to have a Prince of Nothing thread, and since the second A-E book is right around the corner I was thinking of starting a PoN/A-E thread. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through this book so far and it's definitely a worthy follow-up.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just started LA Confidential. It's pretty good, I like the writing style, and the vernacular is interesting. Them using words like beef, hard-on, and beat really put you in 1951.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, can't stop reading. The ranch and the characters living in it are so drat fascinating!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Beastie posted:

I just started LA Confidential. It's pretty good, I like the writing style, and the vernacular is interesting. Them using words like beef, hard-on, and beat really put you in 1951.

Great book. Also my favorites by him are White Jazz and The Black Dahlia.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Beastie posted:

I love Ellroy. You should really read the whole L.A. Quartet (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential and White Jazz) and then the Underworld USA series that came after them (American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand and Blood's a Rover) in that order. They are all one long series and are, with the exception of the classics like Chandler and James Cain, as good as pulp/crime writing gets in my opinion.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I love Ellroy. You should really read the whole L.A. Quartet (The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential and White Jazz) and then the Underworld USA series that came after them (American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand and Blood's a Rover) in that order. They are all one long series and are, with the exception of the classics like Chandler and James Cain, as good as pulp/crime writing gets in my opinion.

I am amazed no one has made White Jazz into a movie.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

nate fisher posted:

I am amazed no one has made White Jazz into a movie.

Paging Curtis Hanson.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm about 15 chapters into the first Wheel of Time book Eye of the World. I wanted to check out the series sooner or later and so far it's great although I'm probably going to have to take breaks in between books.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Speaking of Ellroy I picked-up a book he recommended, Savages by Don Winslow. It is one of those modern day California drug crime novels. So far pretty loving good. Really enjoying it!

Also just read that Oliver Stone is adapting it into a movie. Maybe he can finally make a good movie again (I doubt it).

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
The fact that the Freehold Borders is closing is a bad thing. I the past two months, I got the following:

Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson

Sunset Park by Paul Auster

An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

You Lost Me There by Rosecrans Baldwin

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

The New Yorker Presents 20 Under 40

To top it all off after those purchases, I went through all the books I brought when I was going to school and never had a chance to read because of all the stuff that I had to read, including the ones that are on my Nook and it turns out that I have to read 115 books before I buy any more. I really hate my life right now, but at least I'll be set for a while.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010

screenwritersblues posted:

Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson

Be sure and let us know what you thought of this one. I love Craig Ferguson and really enjoyed his autobiography, but if I'm correct this is a serious novel? I'm still contemplating buying it.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I just started Peter F. Hamilton's 'The Reality Dysfunction'. It jumps right in, and is kind of daunting, but I pressed through the big words and metric system of the opening battle, and then through even bigger words and even more metric system of the Blackhawk scene, to have it finally slow down. I think I'm finally getting the gist of the world.

I have to say that I'm already thinking the Edenists are stupid. They remind me of philosophy majors.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just got Michael Strogoff by Jules Verne, I got it in French. The book is not science fiction like most of Jules Verne's works.

And also Orientalism by Edward Said, it speaks of the attitude of the Western society towards the East. I think this phrase from wikipedia best explains what the book is about "subtle and persistent Eurocentric prejudice against Arabo-Islamic peoples and their culture".

Might also get two more books by end of the week.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

The fact that the Freehold Borders is closing is a bad thing. I the past two months, I got the following:

Do they have any store-closing sales, or is everything still normal prices?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Do they have any store-closing sales, or is everything still normal prices?

It's the last week and its 50-70% off. The last time I was there, it was pretty slim pickings and it was down to pretty much to two shelves of fiction and everything else wasn't selling. Unless you what a lot of crap, then don't bother going. If you want cheap random books, then by all means go.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
I just started The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. It's a somewhat modern English translation, though well done and still poetic (I'm using the
Nevill Coghill translation).

Can I say I've still read it even though it's not in Middle English? Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating. I can stumble through the Middle English okay if I take my time with it and look up some of the words/have a side-by-side translation, but I don't want to spend half a year reading it.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Ulio posted:

And also Orientalism by Edward Said, it speaks of the attitude of the Western society towards the East. I think this phrase from wikipedia best explains what the book is about "subtle and persistent Eurocentric prejudice against Arabo-Islamic peoples and their culture".

I know this isn't a book, but if your interested there is a pretty decent documentary called Reel Bad Arabs which discusses Orientalism in cinema.

Pfirti86 posted:

I just started The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. It's a somewhat modern English translation, though well done and still poetic (I'm using the
Nevill Coghill translation).

Can I say I've still read it even though it's not in Middle English? Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating. I can stumble through the Middle English okay if I take my time with it and look up some of the words/have a side-by-side translation, but I don't want to spend half a year reading it.

I would say yes. A translation is a translation, be it from Middle English, French, Italian and so on. Like I posted earlier, I'm reading the Commedia in English and I am aware that it is not sticking entirely to the original Italian, I'm still reading the book though.

I find I can only understand Middle English if I read it out loud and force myself to phoneticize the words.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

It's the last week and its 50-70% off. The last time I was there, it was pretty slim pickings and it was down to pretty much to two shelves of fiction and everything else wasn't selling. Unless you what a lot of crap, then don't bother going. If you want cheap random books, then by all means go.

Sounds like it's not worth the trip, then. Thanks for the info.

Pfirti86 posted:

I think if you say "I read {something not written in English}" as an English speaking person in an English speaking country that people assume you read a translation. Otherwise you'd probably say "I read {something not written in English} in the original {not English}."

I'd say that I've read Count Of Monte Cristo, (I don't read French.)
I'd say I read Ovid's Metamorphasis in the original Latin.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I think if you say "I read {something not written in English}" as an English speaking person in an English speaking country that people assume you read a translation. Otherwise you'd probably say "I read {something not written in English} in the original {not English}."

I'd say that I've read Count Of Monte Cristo, (I don't read French.)
I'd say I read Ovid's Metamorphasis in the original Latin.

Yeah, that's how I normally role (I'm impressed with your Latin skills though, I only made it out of 101 a few years ago and I've forgotten most of my grammar :( ). I feel like this is a little different though, as it's still in a form of English that is vaguely readable. Another example would be those new 'translations' of Shakespeare you can get from the 'No Fear Shakespeare' books; people have rewritten line-for-line entire plays in modern English. Sure, it makes them more understandable and is a nice aid for high school kids, but it kills the beauty that is inherent in reading a Shakespeare play as originally written, and if someone claimed they read the play and they only read something like that (and not the original), I don't know if I'd buy that. Not to be too pedantic or anything.

End derail.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Just started Gregory David Roberts' Shantaram on the recommendation of a co-worker. I'd never heard of it, but the Amazon reviews make it sound like one of the best books ever. It better be good; it's a long bastard.

dinosaurtrauma
Aug 13, 2006
why is my dinosaur so traumatic?
Just starting Midnight's Children because according to my dad, that's the best place to start with Rushdie (though if I hear enough people arguing for Satanic Verses instead, I could be swayed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

dinosaurtrauma posted:

Just starting Midnight's Children because according to my dad, that's the best place to start with Rushdie (though if I hear enough people arguing for Satanic Verses instead, I could be swayed.)

Satanic Verses, which is a fine book in its own right, has a certain notoriety as result of the fatwa it earned Rushdie. But Midnight's Children is the work that made him relevant as an author (and is generally regarded as his best work).

• Locked thread