Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Is there a specific credit union for federal employees? I need to get my finances in order and finally get myself a good credit card. In my experience, credit unions are usually best for that kind of stuff.

Justice Federal Credit Union is great if you work for DOJ or DHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ZeroAX posted:

Most likely the hiring was either canceled or frozen due to the Government running on a continuing resolution still. The same thing happened in 2009. The good news is, last time the CR was passed, agencies only had half of the year to spend all their hiring money so they ended up hiring a ton of people quickly. Make sure you start checking USAJobs as soon as a budget is passed for this year in case they do a new hire instead of emailing old applicants. Also, the proposed budget for next year has been increased substantially and it's mostly for hiring.

Speaking of which, the House is supposed to debate the newest version of the budget this Friday. This, of course, has led to a planned teabagger protest on Thursday. Have fun with that, Capitol goons!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Well, the proposed budget thing cheered me up. I just got turned down for a job. It wasn't much (librar tech position in Monterey for a Navy base that pays poo poo), but at least it was nice to get some kind of notification.

That said, I've been looking for jobs more in line with my MA and found a lot and applied. Maybe I'll get lucky. :unsmith:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Well, the proposed budget thing cheered me up. I just got turned down for a job. It wasn't much (librar tech position in Monterey for a Navy base that pays poo poo), but at least it was nice to get some kind of notification.

That said, I've been looking for jobs more in line with my MA and found a lot and applied. Maybe I'll get lucky. :unsmith:

That's the odd thing about applying for government jobs; the waits are so long, when you get the almost inevitable rejection, it's more of a relief than a let-down.

In other news, the application I put in with the Secret Service almost two months ago changed status to "received". The one I put in with the US Marshals last year just came back and invited me to apply again (they never did anything with my first application apparently).

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Yeah, but you get to live in Monterrey...

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's the odd thing about applying for government jobs; the waits are so long, when you get the almost inevitable rejection, it's more of a relief than a let-down.

In other news, the application I put in with the Secret Service almost two months ago changed status to "received". The one I put in with the US Marshals last year just came back and invited me to apply again (they never did anything with my first application apparently).

Man, I stopped paying attention to the online status of my NGA app. I'm starting in two weeks and it still says I'm being "screened"

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Started work today!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
That 14 position I wanted was completed changed in an ongoing reorg from a position that looked pretty appealing into one there is no way I would accept. Oh well.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Does Amtrak have any "Federal Benefits"? As in they participate in the same systems (outside of Railroad Retirement), or is everything in house? Thinking health, education, other retirement benefits, etc. Having trouble locating the information on the website.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone familiar with the PALACE program?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Untagged posted:

Does Amtrak have any "Federal Benefits"? As in they participate in the same systems (outside of Railroad Retirement), or is everything in house? Thinking health, education, other retirement benefits, etc. Having trouble locating the information on the website.

Amtrak employees aren't federal employees and don't participate in the Federal Employees Health Benefit Program, Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program, etc.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

TLG James posted:

Anyone familiar with the PALACE program?

What about it? I was hired under PALACE Acquire a few years ago, though I'm now beyond it.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Well, I misread the listing. They sent me an email saying that I'm 'qualified' but not 'highly qualified.' I guess they can get a librarian for that much a year so that knocks me down a peg. I don't think I could make it in Cali for 40k a year anyway. Meh. I'm not heartbroken (I applied for jobs that have better pay than that), but it's a little bit of a bummer.

And it happens on a day when I got a letter back paying 30k for a loving IT administrator from a local library that dicked me over. Oh well.

Gadamer posted:

Yeah, but you get to live in Monterrey...

I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. ;)

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

What about it? I was hired under PALACE Acquire a few years ago, though I'm now beyond it.

Can you talk more about how the program works? Which of the fields were you hired on for, and at what stage in your education? How competitive is the process generally, and what makes people more competitive for it in your experience?

VanishXZone
Apr 1, 2010
Anyone waiting for word from regarding the IRS Revenue Agent position, they just sent out emails saying that external hiring has been cancelled.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

Can you talk more about how the program works? Which of the fields were you hired on for, and at what stage in your education? How competitive is the process generally, and what makes people more competitive for it in your experience?

I was also hired under PALACE acquire. I was hired into an aerospace engineering position out of college in Spring of 2006. My GPA was the only thing that really mattered at the time. I filled out an application at a college career fair and was offered the job on the spot (judging by this thread I may be the luckiest federal employee ever). It's gotten a lot more competitive since then and they no longer hire everyone who meets the GPA requirements but that still seems to be the most critical factor.

I know that the science and engineering PAQ program is pretty uniform but I hear that some of the other programs are very different and a lot more competitive. I have a friend who was hired into the program management field and if you happen to be going into that, I could ask her some more specific questions.

There are 2 versions of the program, 1 for people who already have their masters, and 1 for people who will get it while working for the government. Both are great programs as they give you a leg up for future promotions, basically golden boy status, and if you get the masters while working you actually get 3 semesters of paid time off to go to school. You really can't beat that.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

VanishXZone posted:

Anyone waiting for word from regarding the IRS Revenue Agent position, they just sent out emails saying that external hiring has been cancelled.

We have apparently been on a hiring freeze for months but I'm not sure why they just got around to cancelling the announcements. The budget is really tight and the CR just keeps getting prolonged without any actual new funding.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

(Obvious disclaimer that this was five years ago, I don't know if anything's changed substantially since then.)

I finished my B.S. in Computer Engineering at the beginning of June 2006, and began working for the USAF under the Science and Engineering PALACE Acquire (S&E PAQ) in July of 2006.

I first talked to them at a job fair at my college in either spring quarter of my junior year or fall quarter of my senior year (can't remember which), and while I was not hired on the spot, a good GPA was, as phillytothemax said, the big thing they were looking for.

I was invited out to Wright-Patterson AFB in January 2006 to interview, and I was given a job offer on the spot there. What they seemed most interested in to me at the interview was experience working in a team. My undergraduate program had a year-long senior project with industry, where you were put in a group with two or three other people in your major and given an engineering project from a local business that you had to complete by spring quarter. My interviewers were pretty much falling over themselves to hear me talk about how we worked as a team, how we delegated responsibility, how we interacted with our industry customer, and so on. So if I have any advice to give you here, it's to be sure to play up any teamwork experience you have and your ability to interact with people with different areas of expertise (in my case, non-engineers such as program managers, finance, contracting, etc.).

As I was hired at the end of my bachelor's, I was in the three year program with your first year as a GS-7, your second year as a GS-9 getting paid your salary to complete a master's degree full time with tuition and books 100% paid for, and your third year as a GS-11, after which you "graduate" into a GS-12 job.

Competitiveness? I don't know how many people I was competing against to get into PAQ, but as an engineer, once I was in the program, I haven't felt much in the way of competition at all - at least where I ended up, we have significantly fewer engineers than we need (I'm the only one on my particular program, and I was actually supporting two programs for a while). I can't really speak for non-engineering areas, though.

Overall, it's a good program - it's got the usual government bureaucracy headaches, but getting paid a salary to get my master's degree was a huge plus, and honestly, with as fast as you advance within and after the program, you end up in positions of high responsibility pretty early in your career.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

VanishXZone posted:

Yeah I just got that, too bad. On the bright side, I got an offer for a state auditor job this afternoon, so at least that will tide me over until another IRS opportunity comes along :unsmith:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Not getting paid until almost a month after you start work (nor getting health insurance coverage) sucks hard.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

SWATJester posted:

Not getting paid until almost a month after you start work (nor getting health insurance coverage) sucks hard.

Yeah, this is the part I'm not looking forward to. Thank god my future landlord is holding the apartment until I get my first paycheck and can pay the security deposit.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I had a crown over a root canal that shattered two weeks ago. I have a broken shard of a tooth sitting in my mouth and have since then, because I can't get dental work until my coverage kicks in.

Brose
Feb 23, 2004

Send Help :(
Swell, I got notifications saying i'm qualified yada yada yada about a month ago. They also mentioned how they would be following up with interviews/more notifications in the following weeks.

Like I said, it's been a month. I'm doomed.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Helll yea I just got a private sector job time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Brose posted:

Swell, I got notifications saying i'm qualified yada yada yada about a month ago. They also mentioned how they would be following up with interviews/more notifications in the following weeks.

Like I said, it's been a month. I'm doomed.

It was a month between when I submitted my resume to the DA and got contacted to provide more information. It was then another 2 weeks before I was contacted for an interview.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

psydude posted:

It was a month between when I submitted my resume to the DA and got contacted to provide more information. It was then another 2 weeks before I was contacted for an interview.

I applied for this job in September of 2010.

Ahura
Apr 23, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I applied for this job in September of 2010.

Friend of mine applied even earlier for BPA, and has been stalled at waiting for his background check to start so long that he had to redo his background paperwork. Despite the heavy political importance government likes to put on the issue of border security, the hiring process for agents seems to have slowed a lot in comparison to the 2008 push.

National guard troops are leaving in June. They were in place with the stipulation that their numbers would be replaced by agents; agents that don't exist yet. That issue may speed up your process.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Is anyone here a PMF? Any advice for the fair or getting an appointment from the Finalist phase?

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

Helll yea I just got a private sector job time.

:):hf::)

Still not giving up on the public sector. I will get in it some day...month...year...lifetime.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I applied for my federal job in October and didn't get an interview until February. Then they gave me an offer two days after interview and wanted my response within 3 days. Just waiting to hear about background check stuff now and have a tentative September 1st start date.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I know people that are still getting called about jobs they applied for over a year ago. These weren't acquisition positions either, they were just very loving slow in getting their poo poo processed. So in summary, don't feel doomed if it's only been a month.

Anyway, I finally had a real life interview (phone) with someone for a job I applied for just a month ago! :dance: Now I have to pray I get to make it to second round where they will fly me out in person to. :ohdear: They're totally into my credentials, which is like a first in the federal jobs I've been applying for. Virtually every job I see with my credentials almost always has something like "MUST HAVE BEEN UNDER FIRE IN FALLUJAH READING RADAR THAT YOU COULDN'T POSSIBLY KNOW ABOUT WITHOUT YANKEE WHITE CLEARANCE".

amethystbliss posted:

Yeah, I applied for my federal job in October and didn't get an interview until February. Then they gave me an offer two days after interview and wanted my response within 3 days. Just waiting to hear about background check stuff now and have a tentative September 1st start date.

One thing I do love is how the gov't takes forever and gives like no time to respond. It's actually somewhat comforting, in a sick kind of way.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 1, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Obviously I had a different hiring process, but I started my application in 2009, and entered on duty last week. It can take a while.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ahura posted:

Friend of mine applied even earlier for BPA, and has been stalled at waiting for his background check to start so long that he had to redo his background paperwork. Despite the heavy political importance government likes to put on the issue of border security, the hiring process for agents seems to have slowed a lot in comparison to the 2008 push.

National guard troops are leaving in June. They were in place with the stipulation that their numbers would be replaced by agents; agents that don't exist yet. That issue may speed up your process.

It's pretty much going nowhere until there's a new federal budget. Even conservatives are supposed to be behind beefing up the BP, but I'm not holding my breath. If they got a budget tomorrow, it'd probably be like a year before I EOD at best (my background check is going to take forever, lots of time overseas). Praying to poo poo I get the job teaching in Japan I applied for, so I can just gently caress off and forget about this bullshit, and pay Boren back in 2 years if that's what they want.

Seriously, I have no idea why the rest of you have such a hard-on to work for the government, ugh.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The CIA is advertising for the NCS on the radio. Wat.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

psydude posted:

The CIA is advertising for the NCS on the radio. Wat.

They've been doing it on TV for some time.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

It's not like the organization is a secret. You can go on their website and read about it and submit a job application. The actual hiring process would probably make a really boring movie though.

"9 months later..."

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

It's not like the organization is a secret. You can go on their website and read about it and submit a job application. The actual hiring process would probably make a really boring movie though.

"9 months later..."

more like 45 days later... no response... :smith:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

"9 months later..."

"This summer, Tom Clancy is back on the big screen. Jack Ryan takes on his biggest challenge yet...the CIA HR department...in The Recruitment Agenda!"

Actually that sounds like a Robert Ludlum book.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Man, I guess I'm lucky that my agency usually gets the first round of apps together in two weeks with a final decision made within four weeks after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Gravel Gravy posted:

"This summer, Tom Clancy is back on the big screen. Jack Ryan takes on his biggest challenge yet...the CIA HR department...in The Recruitment Agenda!"

Actually that sounds like a Robert Ludlum book.

Stay tuned for the thrilling sequel when Jack Ryan goes to the Hill to testify on H.R. 1.