Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So I just got Super Street Fighter IV 3D for the 3DS. Except for a little Soul Calibur 2 I haven't played a fighting game before. I'm terrible and I don't know where to start or even how to choose a suitable character. Any advice/helpful webpages/etc. that would help a newbie ease into this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

HondaCivet posted:

So I just got Super Street Fighter IV 3D for the 3DS. Except for a little Soul Calibur 2 I haven't played a fighting game before. I'm terrible and I don't know where to start or even how to choose a suitable character. Any advice/helpful webpages/etc. that would help a newbie ease into this game?

Street Fighter is very, very different from Soul Calibur and other 3d fighters and will take some getting used to - take it from someone who was in your position when Street Fighter 4 originally came out.

Don't even bother trying to combo with normal moves (light punch, light kick etc.) for now, since that's quite timing-specific. Just try learning what a characters moves do, when to use them and so on. Speaking of characters, Ryu is a perfect starting character - he's pretty much an all-arounder who has something for pretty much anything other characters will throw at you.

Also - Playing against the computer is nothing like playing a human opponent. The computer will always counter certain attacks/strategies while constantly falling for other ones. Human opponents won't be so consistant - they'll adapt, and destroy you if you don't do the same. This won't matter if you're not gonna bother playing online, but if you do then be aware of that, and get used to getting your arse kicked. Hell, I still lose most of the time online, and I've been playing for a few years now.

edit: That's all coming from playing on the PS3, can't really comment on 3DS exclusive stuff.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 28, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Reposting my request for advice on Empire:Total War
I need a hud change of some sort that would make it clear which unit I've currently selected, and which unit is under fire.
Some tips of naval battles, at which I'm hopelessly lost
An explanation of how to go about trading technologies - at the moment, Friendly nations deny my 3:1 technology exchange proposals.
What technologies are necessary, what do I need to build and research right away?

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I need a hud change of some sort that would make it clear which unit I've currently selected, and which unit is under fire.
An explanation of how to go about trading technologies - at the moment, Friendly nations deny my 3:1 technology exchange proposals.
What technologies are necessary, what do I need to build and research right away?

About naval battles: use grapeshot. Something about it just terrorizes small boats something awful. Also never get small boats. If you must get small boats, only use them to just kind of hang out with your big boat as a tiny entourage.

I don't know about the other things, but it's largely been unnecessary in most Total War games to attempt to interface with other nations. The biggest thing I was able to do in Empire was get map information for an exorbitant amount of money. You know what always has a fair exchange rate though? Dirty, greasy, smelly, bad-teeth having line infantry.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Xander77 posted:

My memory is pretty hazy, but I seem to remember that military-wise you'll want to have Fire by Rank as early as possible. It hugely increases the firepower of your infantry.
Apart from that, Grapeshot for your cannon (assuming you don't start out with it) helps a lot, as do Ring Bayonets (they enable your infantry to fire with Bayonets mounted)

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. As for companions - I found the brotherhood of steel power fist woman (Veronica? Victoria?) but she just completely disappeared somewhere in New Vegas or Freeside. Like, she stopped following me, and I can see her icon on my map, somewhere in Freeside, but no matter where I look, I can't find her. She's just....gone. But she still counts as being a companion for "other companions not wanting to join my crowded team" purposes. And I can't fire her because I can't find her. It kinda sucks because that power fist was handy!

There's an elevator in the game possibly in the overgrown Vault 22 west of Vegas that resets your party members to your current location.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Started playing Terranigma yesterday. Haven't played it for more than 10 years so I'm really rusty. I just resurercted the birds, any helpful hints?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Terranigma

For my first piece of advice I'm gonna steal someone else's words, since it's ages ago that I played the game too.
"Since once a ring is used, its magirock is returned to your inventory, there's no reason to worry about missing a few, even if you did ever need to use magic."
So basically: don't worry about collecting all the magirocks in the game AND there is no reason to never use rings.

There's one boss in the game that gives almost everybody trouble: Bloody Mary (chances are that you've not forgotten that name).
The solution to that is simple: grind your character to a higher level and your melee attacks will no longer do 1 damage/hit. It's very off-putting since it's the only part of the game where you really need to grind, but it'll work.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

Mierenneuker posted:

There's one boss in the game that gives almost everybody trouble: Bloody Mary (chances are that you've not forgotten that name).
The solution to that is simple: grind your character to a higher level and your melee attacks will no longer do 1 damage/hit. It's very off-putting since it's the only part of the game where you really need to grind, but it'll work.

Or, use magic! A lot of people never thought about using magic on her because it tended not to work so well on bosses prior, or they imagined that using magic meant you lost the Magirocks forever.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I just got Oblivion from LOVEFiLM after somebody told me it's pretty much just Fallout with swords, magic and elves. I sunk about 300 hours total into FO3 and New Vegas so I should be fairly OK with it, but he mentioned that some of the game mechanics are pretty different. I don't have much free time in the next few months so I was kinda hoping to breeze through it without much of a challenge. Are there any classes/builds that'll allow me to do that? Or if not, which is the most fun to play? Also any other general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

7seven7 posted:

I just got Oblivion from LOVEFiLM after somebody told me it's pretty much just Fallout with swords, magic and elves. I sunk about 300 hours total into FO3 and New Vegas so I should be fairly OK with it, but he mentioned that some of the game mechanics are pretty different. I don't have much free time in the next few months so I was kinda hoping to breeze through it without much of a challenge. Are there any classes/builds that'll allow me to do that? Or if not, which is the most fun to play? Also any other general tips would be greatly appreciated.

The only really big difference is Oblivion's levelling system. It tries to be intuitive, but winds up being clunky and confusing.

In a nutshell, there are 21 skills. At character creation, seven of them are chosen as 'major' skills, which receive a bonus. There are no expees for killing monsters; instead, as you play, you gain experience in skills you use. Swing a warhammer and Blunt goes up. Cast a destruction spell, Destruction goes up. Run, and Athletics goes up. After a total of ten increases IN MAJOR SKILLS, you level up, and get stat bonuses based on the stats you used.

This sounds nice, until you consider that 100% of the monsters in Oblivion scale to your level. So, if you level like a rocket, you will soon encounter critters you can't beat. The solution is to make a character who doesn't level so fast, by picking some major skills you don't plan to use. If you want to, you can break the game completely by choosing seven major skills you never use. It's quite possible to beat the main quest at level 2.

This is just an quickie overview, check out one of the megathreads if you are serious about it. (or, lord help us all, gamefaqs.com).

Other tips; if you're playing on PC, install the official patch, then the unofficial patch, then 'Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul', which fixes hundreds of minor issues and makes it look a lot better. There are a million billion zillion other fan-made addons as well; 99% of them are anime yaoi horsecock, but a few are actually very good.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

7seven7 posted:

If by breeze through you mean you just want to complete the game without doing the side stuff, you won't have much fun. I have put over a hundred hours into Oblivion and have never completed the main quest. I find it super tedious and boring. The side quests and guild missions, however, are awesome. I played Oblivion the same way I played FO3 and New Vegas: start out in a random direction from your starting location and do whatever quests you run into. I had a great time. It's one of my all time favorite games I haven't beaten.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gynovore posted:

This sounds nice, until you consider that 100% of the monsters in Oblivion scale to your level. So, if you level like a rocket, you will soon encounter critters you can't beat. The solution is to make a character who doesn't level so fast, by picking some major skills you don't plan to use. If you want to, you can break the game completely by choosing seven major skills you never use. It's quite possible to beat the main quest at level 2.

The downside to this is that quest rewards will be absolute garbage as they also level up with you. Your best items will come from enchanting late game but you'll get little in the way of cash until you actually level up. I don't know what Bethesda was thinking here.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Just bought Dead Space 2. I didn't play the first, but it does a pretty good job in covering what I missed. There seems to be a gently caress ton of rewards for exploring (cash and ammo). I'm up to chapter 3. What do I need to know in order to get the most out of making GBS threads my pants?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

7seven7 posted:

I hate to break it to you, but Oblivion will never be a breeze in the same way that FO3 and New Vegas are in the late-game. With Bethesda's Fallout games, you start out really weak, but you can become a god if you have a really high intelligence (which allows for huge skill point bonuses during level-up). What skills you take are virtually irrelevant, as the game is suited for pretty much any style of play.

Un-modded Oblivion, on the other hand, requires unseemly levels of micromanagement to get to that same point, and even then the game will still be very challenging at higher levels due to monster level scaling. Of course, you can temper this by turning your difficult way down, which makes the micromanagement less of a necessity.

If you want to breeze through the game, stealthy magic-users and beefy fighters are two of the easiest ways to go. A solid fighter will remain viable through most of the game (although you may want to spend some time training up Restoration). Stealthy mages have access to Charm/Frenzy/Calm spells which can be a huge help during battle, as well as Chameleon/Invisibility which are critical at higher levels when enemies are better able to detect you while sneaking. Scoring that initial critical sneak attack can make all the difference in the world.

You'll also probably want to make sure that you don't give Alchemy short shrift as it's ridiculously useful on the fly. As you progress in the game, start collecting ingredients to make more specialized potions (as opposed to just spamming the "create potion" key at first to use up all your ingredients so that you can sell the useless potions for cash).

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

midge posted:

Just bought Dead Space 2. I didn't play the first, but it does a pretty good job in covering what I missed. There seems to be a gently caress ton of rewards for exploring (cash and ammo). I'm up to chapter 3. What do I need to know in order to get the most out of making GBS threads my pants?

-The Plasma Cutter is still one of the most useful guns.
-If you have the Zealot Force Gun, it tears things apart.
-If you have the aforementioned Force Gun variant, you should have the Zealot suit too. Use it. It's free, and it's better than the first two suits you would normally get.
-There's a suit (retro, or classic, or something old sounding) you can buy that gives you a discount in the store. Feel free to change to it before you buy anything, every time. There's no penalty for changing suits, since you keep the highest armor and storage you've acquired.
-Stasis is still your friend and it works on everything.
-The game likes to leave javelin-like debris everywhere. You can Kinesis them to impale enemies and save ammo.
-Always keep a Power Node handy. Almost all the suit blueprints are behind node doors, and you can usually find another node inside them anyways.
-When you're in the final area, Stasis and run. Don't bother fighting.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

midge posted:

Keep a power cell in your inventory at all times for the cell-opened doors, and open every one you come across, they're almost always worth it.

Depending on the difficulty you may be able to get away with spending all of your credits on new power cells instead of medkits and ammo. Either way, buy them when you can.

You'll want to carry an all-purpose weapon (plasma cutter, pulse rifle), a long-range weapon (probably spear gun, maybe the seeker gun or pulse rifle), a close crowd-control weapon (force gun, line gun, ripper, mayyyybe flamethrower but that's not the best one, though it's better than in DS1) and depending on your style, a special weapon (contact beam or detonator - the latter is really useful in some maze-like areas).

Never upgrade the air capacity of your RIG, it's a waste of cells.

Stasis is incredibly helpful, USE IT. It regens in this game for a reason. Put upgrades in it.

Isaac has a mean right hook in DS2 and retains his Stomp of Power, don't be afraid to cut a leg off one of the basic necros, run over and punch/stomp it repeatedly.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
I would probably stasis enemies before going over to curbstomp them, but yes that is a good way to put one down if you're short on ammo.

Speaking of ammo, the drops are determined largely by what weapons you own either in your inventory or in your safe. It's actually a good idea to only hold onto 2-3 weapons so you have sufficient ammo for them.

There will be a room with a computer mainframe. Pay close attention to the displays you find there.

Also, Visceral likes to hide items in unreachable areas where you have to telekinesis them, so keep an eye out for the glows of items or crates behind debris and across chasms.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

Depending on the difficulty you may be able to get away with spending all of your credits on new power cells instead of medkits and ammo. Either way, buy them when you can.

I don't entirely agree with this. Every 2 or 3 levels you can buy a suit upgrade, which increases your inventory size. I find the best thing to do is to always try and keep a cash float around with that in mind, and once the armor upgrade becomes available, buy that and then blow the rest of the cash on power cells.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

I don't entirely agree with this. Every 2 or 3 levels you can buy a suit upgrade, which increases your inventory size. I find the best thing to do is to always try and keep a cash float around with that in mind, and once the armor upgrade becomes available, buy that and then blow the rest of the cash on power cells.

Oh right, I forgot about the new armours. Yeah, buy those whenever you can.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

7seven7 posted:

Read this guide to efficient leveling in Oblivion. It can be very tedious, especially starting out when you really have to watch your skill use, but it gets workable about level 10 and you can quest and efficiently level without too much grinding.

Oh, and if you really want to break the game, enchant a 100% Chameleon suit with spells or sigil stones.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Empire was boring, so now I'm doing Medieval : Total War: Kingdoms: Colon Cancer. How is it different from Medieval 2 (which I barely remember) and Rome:TW?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Empire was boring, so now I'm doing Medieval : Total War: Kingdoms: Colon Cancer. How is it different from Medieval 2 (which I barely remember) and Rome:TW?

Its campaign map is structured completely different. It now has a kinda risk-like province structure where you move units on a per-province basis instead of freely anywhere on the map. Also pay attention to the titles you see peppered through the map and actively assign them to your generals.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

7seven7 posted:

I've been told that rolling a Alchemist/Archer character and plinking away with poison arrows is actually really fun and east to do, works well even in the base game.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm really enjoying it so far. Quick question though. Aside from using a torch, is there a skill or spell to make things brighter? This game is seriously dark. Should I just turn my brightness up?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zushio posted:

I've been told that rolling a Alchemist/Archer character and plinking away with poison arrows is actually really fun and east to do, works well even in the base game.

That works. Alchemy is weak for the first two levels, but after that you can make all sorts of cool potions and poisons. Fortunately, Alchemy is very easy to grind; almost any two items of food will combine to make a potion of Cure Fatigue, which can be sold for extra cash. If you join the Fighter's and Mage's Guilds, you can just take all their food!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

7seven7 posted:

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm really enjoying it so far. Quick question though. Aside from using a torch, is there a skill or spell to make things brighter? This game is seriously dark. Should I just turn my brightness up?

Odd, I didn't think it was dark. There's a low level Illusion spell that creates light, and another that gives nightvision. Also the kitties get natural night vision.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't remember the game ever being too dark for me.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Oh really? Guess I must just need to turn my brightness up then. I pretty much cannot see a thing when I'm in a cave.

Edit: Yep. Turned the brightness all the way up and now I can actually see what I'm doing.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 31, 2011

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
I have finally decided to get into PC gaming, and got the first Penumbra Overture after seeing an LP of Amnesia. Considering I'm a newbie to these games and to PC gaming in general, what should I know?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

ArmoredBlue posted:

I have finally decided to get into PC gaming, and got the first Penumbra Overture after seeing an LP of Amnesia. Considering I'm a newbie to these games and to PC gaming in general, what should I know?

Don't loving rely on the combat system, just don't. It's intended to be an absolute last resort, use it as such. Instead, hide from monsters or even run if necessary.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Monicro posted:

Don't loving rely on the combat system, just don't. It's intended to be an absolute last resort, use it as such. Instead, hide from monsters or even run if necessary.
You mean, "It's intended to be an absolute time waste as you jump on a crate and pickaxe a wolf for 5 minutes straight while it jumps at you ineffectually".

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
Anybody got any tips for Hyperdimension Neptunia or Final Fantasy 2 for the iPhone? I always feel like I miss a good portion of content when I play without some help.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
How much grinding is necessary in FF9? I'm in the Gizamaluke's Grotto and getting my rear end kicked at level 9-10 :(

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

How much grinding is necessary in FF9? I'm in the Gizamaluke's Grotto and getting my rear end kicked at level 9-10 :(

Gizamaluke is one of those brick wall bosses. In general grinding isn't too necessary, but that boss is just a pain. Use a Tent on it at the start of battle. Using tents in battle can either fully heal or cause a whole bunch of status effects.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

PlasticPaddy posted:

Yeah, Gizmaluke is the token early boss that kicks you in the nuts to make sure you're paying attention. I had to grind a bit to beat him, but after that nothing else was too much of a problem.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Thinking of picking up Radiant Historia. If I do, what ought I know?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's basically impossible to miss anything in Radiant Historia, any completionism is relaxed and can be done at your own pace and the system's pretty self-explanatory. Half the fun is bumbling through it, seeing where you end up, then going and searching old locations again - you will need to do this to some extent, as there's a kind of Zelda-ish progression of dungeon tools available for finding new stuff when you backtrack.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
And keep in mind that Aht is the strongest character in the game. She gets traps that can do a ton of damage to enemies on the field, and her sidequested traps are twice as strong. Stocke, Aht, and Gafka is the dream team. Gafka has a skill that can move every enemy on the field to the center, which allows Stocke to knock them all in to Aht's traps as many times as you can manage.

Also, pre-emptive strikes are absolutely necessary. Some rear end in a top hat on the dev team decided that every enemy in the game has an obnoxious speed stat that will almost always be higher than your characters, usually giving them multiple turns before you get to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Stelas posted:

It's basically impossible to miss anything in Radiant Historia, any completionism is relaxed and can be done at your own pace and the system's pretty self-explanatory. Half the fun is bumbling through it, seeing where you end up, then going and searching old locations again - you will need to do this to some extent, as there's a kind of Zelda-ish progression of dungeon tools available for finding new stuff when you backtrack.
That is great news and you have convinced me to pick it up. There was a time in my life when I enjoyed being an OCD completionist, but nowadays I can never finish games that encourage constant use of gamefaqs.