Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Yeah it looks like they merged a fix for the wifi bug that FogHelmut just mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

quadratic posted:

Sending/receiving Arabic SMS works fine. You'll have to install a keyboard that has Arabic support. I'm using Smart Keyboard PRO and it's worked pretty well. (If you go with that, you'll also want to grab the Arabic dictionary and uncheck the "RTL fix" option in the settings.)
Cool, thanks!

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

heat posted:

Yeah it looks like they merged a fix for the wifi bug that FogHelmut just mentioned.

Holy poo poo. This bug is about 2 years old and was due to a missing "!" to invert a test on a flag:

https://review.source.android.com//#patch,sidebyside,22011,1,telephony/java/com/android/internal/telephony/gsm/GsmDataConnectionTracker.java

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I'm running a nightly from last week and it's easily the best android iteration I've ever used. I'm sure we'll see CM7 final early next month.

I originally had hopes that Homeycomb would be the next CM target, but all signs point to it being a huge mess. Hopefully work on Ice Cream is moving ahead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Civil posted:

I'm running a nightly from last week and it's easily the best android iteration I've ever used. I'm sure we'll see CM7 final early next month.

I originally had hopes that Homeycomb would be the next CM target, but all signs point to it being a huge mess. Hopefully work on Ice Cream is moving ahead.

I would assume the next target would be the 2.4 version of Gingerbread that's supposed to be out soon or is already out, probably as a minor revision in CM7, and then targeting Ice Cream.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Civil posted:

Work by Google on Ice Cream, I presume you mean. Cyanogen obviously can't do anything til source is released.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Work by Google on Ice Cream, I presume you mean. Cyanogen obviously can't do anything til source is released.

True. As far as 2.4, it sounds like it's really a very small change, so I wouldn't expect a lot of changes on top of 2.3, other than support for a very few number of gingerbread-native apps.

I suppose CM will continue to evolve, just branching out in features built on 2.3/2.4. What has the direction been in the past once they've gotten everything working on the latest official version?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cyanogenmod RC4 is rolling out now: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cyanogenmod-7-0-0-rc4-has-arrived

Aside from some little issues here and there, this is the most stable version of CM7. It's pretty much the last RC before the final comes out. :dance: :toot:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I was to root my HTC Desire would I be able to put Gingerbread on it? I assume HTC won't be updating to it anytime soon if at all.

What are some good ROMs for the Desire? What are the chances of bricking it?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

If I was to root my HTC Desire would I be able to put Gingerbread on it? I assume HTC won't be updating to it anytime soon if at all.

What are some good ROMs for the Desire? What are the chances of bricking it?

There are several Gingerbread-based ROMs available for the Desire, including the much beloved CyanogenMod.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casao posted:

You get permission denied for su? Or for the Mount? It should be 2 separate commands.
trying with su gets me "not recognized as an internal or external command, operating program, or batch file."

I give up.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

melon cat posted:

trying with su gets me "not recognized as an internal or external command, operating program, or batch file."

I give up.

adb shell
su
mount, etc.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So tonight I finally jumped over to non-sense ROMs out of boredom (I have been using the Warm ROMS for awhile on my EVO). So I tried MIUI out today at work. I fell in love with half of it while the other half I didn't care for.

After seeing a RC4 for CyanogenMod I thought I would give it a spin. Wow it is by far the smoothest thing I have used on my EVO. It is so smooth and fast.

That said I have ran into 2 issues. First the Notification Power Widget has disappeared on me (it was there when I booted). I check the settings and it is on. Second I can't get my SD Card to mount to my PC. According to my phone it is mounted, but my PC doesn't see it. I can boot into recovery and mount USB storage there, but that is a pain. Any ideas?

Of course I did do a full wipe between ROMs.

Edit: Both of these are fixed. USB issue I had to turn off/on debugging and the Power Widgets came back after deleting the ROM Manager.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 31, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I haven't been able to connect to 4G at all ever since the first CM7 nightly allowed it. Just checked over my RSA keys with that app and it says I have them all working.

As far as I know 4G isn't working, unless the 3G symbol is supposed to stay there when the 4G symbol shows up. Also it just says "scanning" forever, doesn't do anything really.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Anyone know what kernels are compatible with CM7-RC4 (2.3.3) on a Motorola DROID.

I want to overclock to 1ghz.

chomper posted:

I just flashed CM7-RC4 to my OG Motorola DROID.... it's like I just got a new device. loving awesome.

My only problem is that i'd like to put a 1GHz kernel back on it, as CM7 comes with a 800MHz kernel stock.

Can I use ROM Manager to do this? Or should I just use my old method to flash a P3Droid kernel?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

chomper posted:

Anyone know what kernels are compatible with CM7-RC4 (2.3.3) on a Motorola DROID.

I want to overclock to 1ghz.

I haven't flashed CM7 on my Droid yet, but I'm betting the Chevy kernel will work for you. It's in ROM manager (though I'm not sure if you need the paid version or not)

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Thornes posted:

I haven't flashed CM7 on my Droid yet, but I'm betting the Chevy kernel will work for you. It's in ROM manager (though I'm not sure if you need the paid version or not)

Just 'flashed' this through ROM Manager.... definitely works. Makes CM7 feel more smooth and zippy. just perfect. Thanks!

If you haven't tried CM7 before Thornes, give it a shot. I've had it for 2 days and absolutely love it.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

chomper posted:

Just 'flashed' this through ROM Manager.... definitely works. Makes CM7 feel more smooth and zippy. just perfect. Thanks!

If you haven't tried CM7 before Thornes, give it a shot. I've had it for 2 days and absolutely love it.

This is a true statement. CM7 is polished and smooth. I've got the Chevy Kernal flashed and have been running at 1ghz for about a week now. I'm actually only on CM7 nightly 29 though. Stable for me so I haven't made the jump to the latest nightly.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Battery life is not so good for me on CM7 with my EVO so far. I am already at 77% this morning. I will give the kernal time, but wow that is not good.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are the best rooted/rom options for the Droid X? I know that fucker has a locked bootloader, but I see a bunch of roms/themes out there.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Gyshall posted:

What are the best rooted/rom options for the Droid X? I know that fucker has a locked bootloader, but I see a bunch of roms/themes out there.

I'd say the best one out there so far is Rubix Focused. Liberty 1.5 offers a lot of customization features built into the ROM, but it is not as stable. I get the best performance and battery life from Rubix Focused. A rooted version of Gingerbread is also out for the Droid X. I'm running it now and I'm not too impressed. It just seems like a poorly themed custom ROM. Still waiting to see how it affects battery life or I might just go back to Rubix.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
CM7 RC4 also fixed (so far, give me another day or two) the occasional insane volume levels on N1 calls. The volume button used to go from

mute-very loud-very very loud-speakerphone in your ear.
Now it is just
mute-normal-loud-very loud

which is bearable. The worst part was switching from my BT headphones to holding the phone and forgetting to lower the volume first.

Now if I could just disable speakerphone from the desk dock I wouldn't be blasted in the ear ever again. Sometimes if you answer the phone right after picking it up from the dock, it doesn't sense it is off the dock and answers the phone in speakerphone right as you get it to your ear.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

melon cat posted:

I give up.

If you "su" inside of adb shell and get that, you're not rooted. You need to root.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
The only app that hasn't been working for me on Gingerbread on my Droid X is Invisible Screen Lock Widget. Any ideas how I can get this working? My lock button doesn't work very well.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am using MIUI on a Desire HD an I only have on problem with the ROM. I can't download things like apps, photos, and themes over the ATT network. Is anyone else experiencing this?

The status for the download just shows nothing until I connect to wifi.

pro con
Sep 14, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am using MIUI on a Desire HD an I only have on problem with the ROM. I can't download things like apps, photos, and themes over the ATT network. Is anyone else experiencing this?

The status for the download just shows nothing until I connect to wifi.

You need to go into the "Downloads" app in the app drawer, press menu and choose "Download using mobile network." I think in the more recent builds of the english language pack they changed that to the default, but if you grabbed it earlier you'll need to change the setting.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casao posted:

If you "su" inside of adb shell and get that, you're not rooted. You need to root.
I'm 100% sure that I'm rooted. Did the downgrade to 2.2, used z4root. It even gives me this screenshot whenever I open up z4root:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

pro con posted:

You need to go into the "Downloads" app in the app drawer, press menu and choose "Download using mobile network." I think in the more recent builds of the english language pack they changed that to the default, but if you grabbed it earlier you'll need to change the setting.

Thanks! That did it.

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006

chomper posted:

...CM7-RC4 (2.3.3) on a Motorola DROID.

How's your 3g performance? I've heard rumors that after you finish a call 3g won't start back up on its own.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

melon cat posted:

I'm 100% sure that I'm rooted. Did the downgrade to 2.2, used z4root. It even gives me this screenshot whenever I open up z4root:

Do you have busybox / superuser installed? Should show up in your app list.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

melon cat posted:

By definition, if you don't have the su binary installed (able to su at the command prompt), you're not rooted. That's the rooting - everything else is a result of being able to do this.

If you can't do this, you need to re-root.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Any word on anyone working on a Gingerbread / Sense 2.0 ROM for the dinc?

Also, I wonder if htcsense.com will work with devices that didn't come with the new version of Sense out of the box.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

cptn oblivious posted:

How's your 3g performance? I've heard rumors that after you finish a call 3g won't start back up on its own.

I'm running RC4 now on my Droid and I have not had that problem.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thornes posted:

I'm running RC4 now on my Droid and I have not had that problem.

Same here. Not a single issue with my 3g performance after phone calls.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

emoltra posted:

Any word on anyone working on a Gingerbread / Sense 2.0 ROM for the dinc?

Also, I wonder if htcsense.com will work with devices that didn't come with the new version of Sense out of the box.

I imagine that Virtuous will eventually roll up to the newest sense on 2.3. Either that, or you may see a Desire HD or other port to it soon.

And yeah, all the sense stuff works, as stated before. I did it on my G2, which did not ship with sense.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Wagonburner posted:

SMB mounting.

Hi all this may be a dumb question but I'm new to android (somewhat experienced in *nix)

I just got an AT&T HTC Inspire, loving it (esp after a long day of blackberry use and support) except I want to be able to watch movies/play mp3s directly from a windows cifs/smb share while I'm on wifi inside my house.
I don't think this is possible; or if it is, it's more of a pain in the rear end than any reasonable person would ever want to deal with.

You're very likely better off using something that will stream the media from your PC instead, like Subsonic (which kicks rear end, honestly).

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Skeezy posted:

I haven't been able to connect to 4G at all ever since the first CM7 nightly allowed it. Just checked over my RSA keys with that app and it says I have them all working.

As far as I know 4G isn't working, unless the 3G symbol is supposed to stay there when the 4G symbol shows up. Also it just says "scanning" forever, doesn't do anything really.

4G was pretty wonky on my EVO with CM7 RC2 but it's been fine with RC3. Time to give RC4 a try.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casao posted:

By definition, if you don't have the su binary installed (able to su at the command prompt), you're not rooted. That's the rooting - everything else is a result of being able to do this.

If you can't do this, you need to re-root.
Alright, re-rooted. Not sure what that did, but I've gotten a little further. However, I'm following this guide to get Thunderberg Custom Recovery working. Once I punch in the bolded command line:

quote:

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderg-1.1.0.img
... it says 'No such directory exists'.

Eh?

Thanks for all of your help, by the way. This whole rooting procedure has been a... humbling experience.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 1, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

File or directory...it can't find the file you're trying to flash to recovery.

There's some extra characters in the screencap of your command prompt that isn't in the code block above it, perhaps start there? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Has anyone with a Nook Color tried CM7 RC4? They added hardware acceleration into the release.