Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fromsinkingsands posted:

Dumbo came out on Blu ray?

Dumbo is definitely out on Blu Ray, there was a review of it in Empire last Summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dumbo is definitely out on Blu Ray, there was a review of it in Empire last Summer.

Not out in the US yet. UK and Mexico, I believe?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like there won't be a Criterion Brazil for a while

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sweeeeeeet supplement collection there.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

It only took a little over a year for Criterion to release their blu-ray of Fear and Loathing after Universal put theirs out, so I think I'll just hold out on buying it for a while.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

OGB posted:

Not out in the US yet. UK and Mexico, I believe?

Brazil too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That cover for Brazil is probably the ugliest thing released so far this year.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Blu-Ray.com put up their review of The Incredibles. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Incredibles-Blu-ray/96/#Review Not much of a surprise, everything is perfect like expected.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Digital Bits confirmed the single releases of Kubrick's Lolita and Barry Lyndon are Amazon exclusives. The release date is May 31. Only $15 for each film. It looks like the only extras are the original trailers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's the deal with Lyndon, any news on the transfer, like was it restored recently or what?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Buster Keaton double feature of Sherlock Jr/Three Ages dropped down to $20.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0041CGOZI

What's the deal with Lyndon, any news on the transfer, like was it restored recently or what?

I haven't heard anything about it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Not that anyone will particularly care, but:
According to Amazon, the first Pokemon movies on blu-ray will be released May 15th.
The prints aren't going to be DVD upscales but actually use the HD Japanese prints in which all the Pokemon movies are filmed.

The first is a combo pack of the Latias/Latios movie and Destiny Deoxys (the first straight-to-DVD movie in America).

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
When am I going to get My Neighbor Totoro on bluray? I know the Studio Ghibli movies are coming but I need dates!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I think I'm addicted. 185 dollars in new Blu in the past week.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

When am I going to get My Neighbor Totoro on bluray? I know the Studio Ghibli movies are coming but I need dates!

Probably not for some time, afaik the only releases in japan are nausicaa, laputa, and my neighbors the yamadas. Those will most likely be the next US releases as well. Although, it looks like it might be releasing in chronological order as far as the Miyazaki movies go, in which case I think totoro would come after laputa.

EDIT: Totally forgot my original post. SO! Today at the Target where I work, we were updating pricing on our movies. I noticed the Avatar extended edition on blu is on sale for $24.99.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

Kingtheninja posted:

SO! Today at the Target where I work, we were updating pricing on our movies. I noticed the Avatar extended edition on blu is on sale for $24.99.

After I bought it for $34.99 at Wal-Mart two days ago :(

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

metallicaeg posted:

I think I'm addicted. 185 dollars in new Blu in the past week.

I'm sure many of us are with you on that. The prices finally broke in the fall, you can find average movies for under $10 even without a sale. I've expanded my collection by 30 or 40 movies since black friday. I make it a policy to watch every movie I buy before I put it away, usually I can just watch them in a week so there's no backlog. Right now my "to watch" stack is down to about 12. God I love the 21st century.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

LloydDobler posted:

I'm sure many of us are with you on that. The prices finally broke in the fall, you can find average movies for under $10 even without a sale. I've expanded my collection by 30 or 40 movies since black friday. I make it a policy to watch every movie I buy before I put it away, usually I can just watch them in a week so there's no backlog. Right now my "to watch" stack is down to about 12. God I love the 21st century.
Someone in the blu-ray deal megathread posted a short while ago that Amazon UK had Planet Earth for dirt cheap, which then started off my discovery that I can grab some region free titles from there much cheaper than they're available stateside. The Sergio Leone/Spaghetti Western set, the Dirty Harry set (without all the extras) and a copy of Goodfellas ran me $60 after shipping. Same things from Amazon US are like $90+ right now. Add to that another 13 titles for $100 that I got from a closing Ultimate Electronics store, and I've nearly doubled my Blu-ray set in the past week.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Doctor Who Season 5 is still £50, this very much annoys me.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I did my first blind buy on a blu tonight and it may have been a mistake. It was the Dead Space 2 Aftermath blu and I figured I would like it since I'm a huge fan of that series. When I got home I looked up the review on Bluray.com and it wasn't very good at all. Apparently some fairly jagged edges and such. IGN was a little more accepting of the blu.

I haven't watched it yet, but I think I may have kinda wasted 25$

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I did my first blind buy on a blu tonight and it may have been a mistake. It was the Dead Space 2 Aftermath blu and I figured I would like it since I'm a huge fan of that series. When I got home I looked up the review on Bluray.com and it wasn't very good at all. Apparently some fairly jagged edges and such. IGN was a little more accepting of the blu.

I haven't watched it yet, but I think I may have kinda wasted 25$
As long as you saw how much it sucked before you opened it. Return that poo poo so fast.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Harlock posted:

As long as you saw how much it sucked before you opened it. Return that poo poo so fast.

Opened before I saw the review :( The screen shots on other sites look similar to the first movie's blu release and it seems like bluray.com used mostly the full CGI parts and not the animated ones. Maybe the CGI parts are just a lot worse then the animated. I wasn't expecting it to be amazing quality but I was hoping for decent.

I don't normally do blind buys and if anything this will just teach me a good lesson.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also the Dead Space 2 anime is complete and utter poo poo so you did bad all round :(

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Lord of the Rings Extended Bluray now up for preorder on Amazon UK at ~£55.

Loads of people in reviews bitching about the films being on two discs.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

E.J.Olmos posted:

Jesus christ people are so mind numbingly stupid. I just cannot understand why having to switch discs is such a pain for people.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ApexAftermath posted:

Jesus christ people are so mind numbingly stupid. I just cannot understand why having to switch discs is such a pain for people.

It is annoying? You have to disconnect from what you were watching, get up, find the case, take the old disc out/put it back/grab the new disc, put the new disc in the player, wait for it to fire up and fix your settings before getting back into it.

And considering how much more space Blu-Ray has, the practice of splitting a movie over two discs should be dead. There is no reason why they can't fit the movie on one disc and put the extras on another.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A year or two ago I think someone on AVS or HDD something did the math and said unless you want something to be compressed (since the Extended requires an additional audio track), it needs to be on two discs.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ApexAftermath posted:

I was glad for the break points the last time I watched the EEs on DVD. Christ, The Return of the King is so long that when screening for DVTs and PEs at work I literally could ask, "Any recent surgery, travel, or immobilization, or did you sit through the entire extended cut of the last movie of The Lord of the Rings without getting up?"

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Captain Charisma posted:

A year or two ago I think someone on AVS or HDD something did the math and said unless you want something to be compressed (since the Extended requires an additional audio track), it needs to be on two discs.

If Avatar extended edition can come out and still have a "perfect" image according to reviewers there's little reason the EE's couldn't look great on one disc.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Crackbone posted:

If Avatar extended edition can come out and still have a "perfect" image according to reviewers there's little reason the EE's couldn't look great on one disc.

The Avatar EE is less than 3 hours, the longest of the LotR EEs runs 4hrs 11.

It's one disc change in the middle of films that run from about 3hr30 to 4hr10, it's not really a big deal. I expect the vast majority of people watching them will take at least one break throughout the runtime anyway.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Crackbone posted:

Avatar Extended Edition has a lot more (easily-compressible) pure CG shots, and is from 45min (LOTR) to 91min (ROTK) shorter.

I really don't see the problem. They were spread over two discs on the original Extended DVDs. Maybe 2-discs isn't required for Fellowship, but if they're going to for ROTK (and they should), why not for all of them? It's 30 seconds to swap discs in some 15,000 seconds of film. The disc change points on the DVDs always seemed well placed (and started up immediately with a 'Continue film' option rather than a bunch of menus and logos) and I can assure you I'm having at least two bathroom breaks through each film. If I get a (minor) picture improvement then I'm all for it.

And let's be honest, Warner rarely put that much effort into their transfers. I can't see them tinkering with the encode to produce the best image the way Cameron did with Avatar when they can't even be bothered using seamless branching when making Blu-Rays with multiple cuts.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 3, 2011

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

E.J.Olmos posted:

I'm sure their complaints will result in tangible results, just like their previous "don't release the theatrical editions" petitions/review trolling campaign.

Disregarding the arguments of if it's possible to put it on one disc or not, these people continue to be the most vocally entitled consumer group I've seen in years, for what basically amounts to products that are a 10-20% premium over DVD. You wouldn't think that, given the lengths these people go to make themselves heard.

They aren't buying cars or some kind of massive money investment, they're re-buying movies they already owned for a little more than what it cost last time. Whee. Buy it or don't, it's as simple as that (most of these people will anyway).

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 3, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
As long as the breaks are somewhere logical then I don't mind. That's a long time to be sitting anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dudebro posted:

As long as the breaks are somewhere logical then I don't mind. That's a long time to be sitting anyway.

I'm guessing they're in the same place as the DVD versions.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Also the Dead Space 2 anime is complete and utter poo poo so you did bad all round :(

I'm not an anime fan so that doesn't bother me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Is it just me, or did they basically rip off the Teen Titan's font for this cover?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Why are they giving it a crappy goth look?

Why is the hair growing through the shirt?

Why is MJF a wax doll?

:psyduck:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Why is the hair growing through the shirt?

:iiam:

Original art for comparison:

That at least had a point: He was showing off his sweet Teen Wolf shirt... now he's just showing off his holey/hairy beater for no good reason.

[edit] They also changed his jacket color because......?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

zenintrude posted:

:iiam:

Original art for comparison:

That at least had a point: He was showing off his sweet Teen Wolf shirt... now he's just showing off his holey/hairy beater for no good reason.

[edit] They also changed his jacket color because......?

Maybe they removed the Teen Wolf logo from the shirt for copyright reasons? And the only reason I can think of for changing the jacket color is to better match the team colors of the Beavers from the movie (which appear to be yellow and blue based on a google image search). It looks like the opposing team had red as a team color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
It's better than MGM's last attempt, in which a miniature wolf perches on a basketballer's shoulder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 4, 2011

• Locked thread