Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I love Devil in a New Dress, but I think the weakest link is Kanye himself. Just weak verse after weak verse. The song doesn't get really awesome until the guitar interlude and Rick Ross.

Blame Game is by far my least favorite track. What a horrible hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

TheYellowFog posted:

Devil in a New Dress beat owns so hard that it will probably be sampled for years. J Cole did it before the album even came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUisSCjvO-M

After probably having almost every track on the album as my favorite at some point, Devil is a New Dress seems to have the most staying power.

Jay Electronica did a version of it as well

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

the Bunt posted:

I love Devil in a New Dress, but I think the weakest link is Kanye himself. Just weak verse after weak verse. The song doesn't get really awesome until the guitar interlude and Rick Ross.

What what what

No way, although I'm fairly sure I could tolerate Drake spitting on that track verse after verse just for the beat.

Also I have a theory that Kanye shot himself in the foot using the line "Put your hands to the constellations/the way you look should be a sin/you're my sensation" in a track like Devil.

It's fantastic, and really makes Devil in a New Dress great, but if he had saved that line and sold it to Usher or some other R&B crooner and made a number one single out of it it would have made so much loving bank!

I love Devil in a New Dress. Although I've never really heard Rick Ross before and I'd only listened to the Good Friday version of Devil then when the album version was on I was like "oh cool a guitar solo epilogue type thing for the track" then suddenly

LOOKIN AT MY BITCH I BET SHE GIVE YO rear end A BONE

:wtc:

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
The worst part of the album is that awkwardly long Chris Rock part at the end of "Blame Game". I'd pay for a Chris Rock-free "Blame Game" and a Fergie-free "All of the Lights" right now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't hate the Fergie part in All of the Lights at all. I in fact didn't even know it was Fergie until someone in this thread mentioned it. It's quick, and I don't find it grating or anything. Which is odd, because I have hated every other thing involving Fergie ever except for the movie Planet Terror.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't hate the Fergie part in All of the Lights at all. I in fact didn't even know it was Fergie until someone in this thread mentioned it. It's quick, and I don't find it grating or anything. Which is odd, because I have hated every other thing involving Fergie ever except for the movie Planet Terror.

Same, I'm so used to autotuned Fergie bullshit that I couldn't even tell it was her.

Needs more Elton John though.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

groverat posted:

The worst part of the album is that awkwardly long Chris Rock part at the end of "Blame Game". I'd pay for a Chris Rock-free "Blame Game" and a Fergie-free "All of the Lights" right now.

For what it's worth, the current radio edit / single version of AOTL cuts out the Fergie part entirely. I was surprised too

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Final Fart Buttball posted:

For what it's worth, the current radio edit / single version of AOTL cuts out the Fergie part entirely. I was surprised too

I haven't heard any sort of consistant radio edit - some stations Cudi is cut out, some fergie, some both, and some just pull it after the Kanye verses.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

I love Hell of a Life and Devil In a Blue Dress. I've heard of Rick Ross before but this was my first time hearing him on a track. I agree that the Chris Rock bite could have been cut. I've never been a fan of skits or other will jokey stuff on albums.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ebjan posted:

I love Hell of a Life and Devil In a Blue Dress. I've heard of Rick Ross before but this was my first time hearing him on a track. I agree that the Chris Rock bite could have been cut. I've never been a fan of skits or other will jokey stuff on albums.

While I don't love the Rock thing, as I said earlier, it's not supposed to be a skit or jokey. It's a direct follow up to the last few lines of the song, about how her phone called him back while she was with another guy, and he heard her entire conversation with some other dude (Rock).

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

TheJoker138 posted:

While I don't love the Rock thing, as I said earlier, it's not supposed to be a skit or jokey. It's a direct follow up to the last few lines of the song, about how her phone called him back while she was with another guy, and he heard her entire conversation with some other dude (Rock).

That may be true, but it doesn't mean it's not supposed to be humorous.

"Yeezy reupholstered my pussy"

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

the Bunt posted:

I nearly ran off the freeway when I heard that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

the Bunt posted:

Yes, but it has another purpose other than just the humor in it. Also, I'm fairly certain I've heard almost the exact bit before this album, from Rock in his stand up, but hosed if I know where. I just think it works as more than most stupid rear end skits on rap albums do (all of the Kyle Kaniff or whatever the gently caress poo poo from Eminems early albums spring immediately to mind as examples of why I usually hate that poo poo) and serves a thematic purpose with the rest of the song. I still usually skip it.

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Saying "I can feel it in my bones.
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, but it has another purpose other than just the humor in it. Also, I'm fairly certain I've heard almost the exact bit before this album, from Rock in his stand up, but hosed if I know where. I just think it works as more than most stupid rear end skits on rap albums do (all of the Kyle Kaniff or whatever the gently caress poo poo from Eminems early albums spring immediately to mind as examples of why I usually hate that poo poo) and serves a thematic purpose with the rest of the song. I still usually skip it.

My name is Ken, Kaniff... from Connecticut.

(What's sad is, I tried listening to it again after I read your post, and it crashed Windows Media Player before the track even started to play, every time.)

And yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that the Fergie part isn't really annoying. In fact, I enjoy a good deal of what she's done without the Black Eyed Peas. She should really just cut them loose and go do her own thing, she has a pretty decent voice for singing rock music. At least, her performing with Heart would make me think so.

Also, I wonder why Kanye hasn't tweeted anything in 2 and a half weeks?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thrust On Moore posted:

Also, I wonder why Kanye hasn't tweeted anything in 2 and a half weeks?

I'm hoping it's cause he's busy finishing Watch the Throne and his new album.

Oh by the way, I've purchased his first two albums on vinyl, have Graduation on pre-order, and with any luck my father will be able to snag the copy of 808s they had at the Best Buy in the town I used to live and send it up to me.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I know this but I think it was one of the weakness things on the album. I wish I had the ability to cut it from my CD. When I buy a music CD I just want music. I don't need or want some talking, skits, jokes, follow up or background ramblings. Pure music.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
The woman in that skit gets the inflection on "Yeezy taught me" wrong every time. poo poo is so annoying.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Ebjan posted:

I know this but I think it was one of the weakness things on the album. I wish I had the ability to cut it from my CD. When I buy a music CD I just want music. I don't need or want some talking, skits, jokes, follow up or background ramblings. Pure music.

I think the skit is part of the song really

if on an artistic level he considered it a skit i don't think he would have made us sit thru it like that

I mean if you gonna break up the interlude and who will survive you might as well have broken that skit out if it was just some throwaway thing

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Don Glover has non-stop Kanye West tributes apparently and this is in the glover thread but if you like Kanye you should also check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bd_8A_Ut9s

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

atrus50 posted:

I think the skit is part of the song really

if on an artistic level he considered it a skit i don't think he would have made us sit thru it like that

I mean if you gonna break up the interlude and who will survive you might as well have broken that skit out if it was just some throwaway thing

oh come on

All he had to do was make it a separate track that blends into the previous one, that way we can just delete the drat skit from our iPods because it's annoying as gently caress to listen to it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ziir posted:

oh come on

All he had to do was make it a separate track that blends into the previous one, that way we can just delete the drat skit from our iPods because it's annoying as gently caress to listen to it.

If you care that much it would take you literally 2 minutes to open it up in Audacity, cut it out, and upload the new version to your ipod.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
If not for skits on records how would we know that Clit Boulevard to the Tits Projects is the fastest way to get to Heart Street?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

McNutty posted:

If not for skits on records how would we know that Clit Boulevard to the Tits Projects is the fastest way to get to Heart Street?

...Is this talking about the correct way to butcher a prostitute or something?

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

TheJoker138 posted:

...Is this talking about the correct way to butcher a prostitute or something?

Not hardly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4zqbDILBE

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Think I have to read all 27 pages of this thread...

This album was my first real sit-and-listen to Kanye's music. Was fully blown away... have to say it was like nothing I've heard before. It's been played and played and played since I first got it. Tracks like Runaway, Dark Fantasy and Lost in the World just amaze me.

Worth noting is I have the censored album.
I listened to the uncensored album yesterday and absolutely hated it. Didn't realise there was so much profanity. What I took as creativity was just covering up dirty lyrics. Killed a lot of the illusion, I guess.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

truther posted:

Think I have to read all 27 pages of this thread...

This album was my first real sit-and-listen to Kanye's music. Was fully blown away... have to say it was like nothing I've heard before. It's been played and played and played since I first got it. Tracks like Runaway, Dark Fantasy and Lost in the World just amaze me.

Worth noting is I have the censored album.
I listened to the uncensored album yesterday and absolutely hated it. Didn't realise there was so much profanity. What I took as creativity was just covering up dirty lyrics. Killed a lot of the illusion, I guess.

Holy crap, people swear in rap music? My mind is pretty blown right now.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Have you listened to both versions? There's quite a difference.

I don't care if there's swearing, I do care when it changes certain tracks so much. I'm sure the situation would be reversed if I listened to the uncensored version first

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

truther posted:

Have you listened to both versions? There's quite a difference.

I don't care if there's swearing, I do care when it changes certain tracks so much. I'm sure the situation would be reversed if I listened to the uncensored version first

I can't really comprehend why anyone would listen to the censored version first. Why wouldn't you listen to the music that way the artist intended?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
To be honest, never realised. It was handed to me and I just chucked it in.

Oh well it's given me the push to listen to his other albums

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

truther posted:

if you don't like swearing then probably only listen to 808s and heartbreak because he kinda swears on everything else

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

truther posted:

Uhh, you thought all the little blanks were covering up 'creativity?' sorry bro, they were covering up cursewords...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Was the censored version 'blanked' or were the lyrics dubbed over?

If they were dubbed please tell me what you heard instead of "You ain't got no fuckin' Yeezy in your Serato?" and "So much head I woke up in Sleepy Hollow"

Also in "Hell of a Life" what did Kanye need besides religion?

And what did the Blame Game skit sound like?

I'm intrigued here.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
It wasn't blanked, just did a scratch or hop or something... but didn't sound out of place. So much that you can't always tell there was meant to be a swear word. In Hell of a Life I had no idea he was saying "pussy and religion is all I need" as pussy is edited out, just sounded like "(scratch) religion is all I need"

teacup posted:

if you don't like swearing then probably only listen to 808s and heartbreak because he kinda swears on everything else
Again... I have nothing against swearing. It's just that I listened to the censored version first without even realising it was absent of profanity. Now when I listen to the proper version there are noticable differences in tone that irk me.

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010
Everybody knows I'm a (I'm a I'm a) monster

The censoring sounded really out of place, I don't know what you're on about.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
I will never understand people who prefer the censored versions of songs. Every time 'Forget' You comes on the radio I loving cringe.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

F201 posted:

I will never understand people who prefer the censored versions of songs. Every time 'Forget' You comes on the radio I loving cringe.

The benefit of censored songs is being able to play them for people who don't listen to rap regularly and don't want to hear pussy, human being, etc all over the place.

"Forget You" is particularly pointless because nobody cares about the word "gently caress," but I can see the benefit of having a censored MBDTF in iTunes.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
So where would people here rank this album out of Kanye's?

I'd personally say this is his third best. Just a little better than Graduation in my mind. I perfer College Dropout and Late Registration.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

So where would people here rank this album out of Kanye's?

I'd personally say this is his third best. Just a little better than Graduation in my mind. I perfer College Dropout and Late Registration.

mbdtf is his best, graduation is probably his worst

for me

graduation feels like floundering after the exponential growth of his first two albums

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would rank them from best to worst in the exact opposite order that they came out, myself. MBDTF being the best, and Dropout being the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

Very early in Kanye's career I saw hints of brilliance, and knew he'd release an album like this. Hopefully it won't be all downhill from here.

• Locked thread