Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I really enjoy animation, and feel like a total schlub in a lot of ways because I never spend enough time doing it. I need to work on a project with some nice character animation, because I really suck at it in general and could use the practice.

A few years ago I made a silly thing for one of Shmorky's Karnov flash tubs, but missed the deadline and haven't seen one come up since. It was pretty simple, and made quickly (not quickly enough though apparently), but I might as well post it for posterity's sake. Requiem for Karnov; click the big K that pops up in the top right when it's done loading. There's also secrets at the end, which is one of those things I wish Shmorky did more often nowadays. Can you get the true ending?

There's too many intimidatingly awesome things in this thread to comment on them all, but a few posts caught my eyes:

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Again, any and all feedback would not only be appreciated, but absolutely required if I want this to be successful. Thanks in advance.

Hamsterman is very entertaining, and a series following the kid sounds like a lot of fun. The burned man's character design looks interesting, so I'd say go with that. He seems like the kind of guy who would really enjoy a game of parcheesi I think. Are you interested in help other than in the critique / feedback variety?

WentWhere posted:

I'm basically just posting my degree project wherever it's applicable. It's about 5 minutes long and I completed it as my senior year thesis at RISD where my major was Film/Animation/Video.

Really, really impressive and filled with intelligently designed humor. There's something about God using a microwave that is so deliciously appropriate; I think it's one of those things where nobody really knows how either of them work, so they naturally go together. The various idle actions of God are very nicely done, and made me repeatedly smirk.

Automatic Jack posted:

This isn't nearly so impressive, but I thought I'd share anyway. It's an Earthbound music video in progress that I started as a summer project. Just a fun little exercise to practice using Flash which I've been learning for the first time at my internship.

Haha, that's wonderful. From that video I can tell it's going to be ball-bustingly awesome when you're done with it, and what you have already can cause some pretty decent ball trauma. I might be a bit biased though, given the subject matter, but I'm greatly looking forward to seeing that finished. Only issue I saw is that as the scenes go in that WIP, Saturn Valley and Belch are pretty much skipped, and no EB animation can exist without cruelly oppressed Mr. Saturns. :colbert:

I actually started working on a music video (way back, maybe four or five years ago) based on EarthBound, which had a pretty similar opening if I recall correctly, but immediately veered with Ness ignoring the meteor, Buzz-Buzz getting eaten, and poo poo generally falling apart in an alternate reality where the villains 'win.' I only made a small amount of progress with it though, and didn't even come close to what you have there. Your skill at storyboarding really shines, and it makes me very hesitant to look back at what garbage compositions I must have plopped down.

If anybody is up for doing collaborative types of things, or would want a random jerk to join them in a project, I'm totally up for that sort of stuff. It feels like there's a lot of animation talent at SA; has anybody ever tried setting up a micro animation festival type thing? There would probably be logistical and participation issues, but I'd love to see what people could come up with if they asked to make super short (like 10-15 seconds) animation thingies along a general theme. Shmorky's playsets always seemed to inspire interesting content at the very least, so there must be willing participants floating around.

Anyway, here is an image of a Jack-in-the-Box head sprouting crab legs and sort of skittering a bit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I'm gonna keep this thread alive if it kills me! Here's a daily doodle a couple days in the making.

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008
this was my 1st project for 1st year undergrad animation minor. assignment was rotoscope. it's marked partially on concept because i'm in the art side of a CAD school. i re-framed two four year old dancers from ellen degenerris into a grungy city street to distinguish dancing for yourself or public enjoyment versus on daytime tv in front of a studio audience fueled by ad revenue. typical art school shiiittte.

https://www.tinyurl.com/4akuorl

edit - added some background info not just url ;)
ALSO my original intent was to have a third dancer in the center on top of some boxes being lit by red, yellow and green lights that you can see hanging from the top.

this dancer would've been about 250 frames compared to the left dancer of 50 frames, the right dancer of 12 frames and the walk cycle of... 16? maybe? but i ran out of time :(

Good Sir fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 11, 2011

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Nate Breakman posted:

I'm gonna keep this thread alive if it kills me! Here's a daily doodle a couple days in the making.

I like this and I like the limited palette, but I think the lighting you got going on is more of like the sudden glare of a gunshot (if it was sped up) and not a cigarette, which would show only the area around the nose and shadows.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I just animated a music video for a local(ish) band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQBETZ3UEM

It's the first video / animation I've ever made that had a bit of pre-planning to it. Mainly I just muck around. I know there's a lot of mistakes (lighting in particular) but I was aiming to have fun and keep all the scrappy bits in anyway. Looking forward to learning more.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Just finished an animation project for my Foundation in Art and Design course, based on a true story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5hA-BuLaI
My first attempt at hand drawn animation. Been so used to using only a tablet and Flash since I was like 11 or so. It was fun, if incredibly time and soul consuming. Took me about a month or two.

Also it completely hosed over my sleeping pattern. It's half six in the morning here, and I woke up at around 8PM yesterday. I have to go to Uni at half nine as well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
This is my second attempt at doing any kind of animation, but my first working in clay.

I heard this song yesterday and it just made me want to do something with it, so I went out and bought a bunch of supplies and pieced together this video. There's no greater purpose to this video than just doing it for fun, and that's going to be my motivation on other projects as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oAPZV7n8lQ

First, I know I need a tripod if I am going to continue working on stuff like this. Even when I was able to keep the camera in basically the same spot, I was still getting drift just from pressing the buttons.

Second, while youtube has reduced the quality of the video, I know that I either need to learn to focus better or invest in a better camera/lens.

Third, I should have selected different background colors. As it is, they blend in too much with the models.

Fourth, I need to get wire cutters and wire. I was using paper clips as my frames, but I was breaking them by bending them, so everything was uneven and I couldn't get small pieces for the arm joints. This is why the models have a slant. It looks fine on the zombie, but the guy looks a bit weird.

Fifth, playdough was easy to work with, but it just wasn't sturdy enough. What should I be using?

Last, I should have made the set wider so that when I wanted to move the camera to get different angles, I wouldn't risk accidentally filming the outside area. Towards the end of the video, you can see about a half second shot that I didn't catch in editing.

All told, this was less than ten hours of work, including going out to buy the supplies.

Any other thoughts, critiques?

spicybackpain
Mar 4, 2010
I thought I'd share my most recent cartoon -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQOQBzju_GI

I based this cartoon off of a conversation I had with someone who was actually concerned that their 2 year old son preferred a pink tea set over a monster truck toy. Not fully understanding that grown men do drink tea, they lamented over the fact that he might become confused genderwise in the near future.

I suggested that Mattel come out with a manly coffee set instead of a tea set. Although I was joking, they insisted that I try to patent this 'amazing' idea.

I made this instead.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

spicybackpain posted:

I thought I'd share my most recent cartoon -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQOQBzju_GI

I based this cartoon off of a conversation I had with someone who was actually concerned that their 2 year old son preferred a pink tea set over a monster truck toy. Not fully understanding that grown men do drink tea, they lamented over the fact that he might become confused genderwise in the near future.

I suggested that Mattel come out with a manly coffee set instead of a tea set. Although I was joking, they insisted that I try to patent this 'amazing' idea.

I made this instead.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I hope your stuff goes viral like crazy, I love them!

spicybackpain
Mar 4, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I hope your stuff goes viral like crazy, I love them!

Thanks! I feel like a turd coming on forums and nagging people to go see my videos, but I've gotta spread the word somehow.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Any of you animation goons in the Vancouver Animation scene? Just curious who might be lurking out there. We may have already met!

I work in a little studio but I'm on the production/writing side of things (don't judge!)

However, i've always been into stop motion, and I am a fiber-fiend, so I'm working on a needle-felted stop motion piece. I'll have to post a bit when I've got something to show for myself.

Can anyone recommend a good book/blog/info source on stop motion animation? I feel I have a lot to learn about camera movement and other such things, as my professional training is in writing, and not at all in animation.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I was thinking of making some animations from photographs of people I know, and wanted some advice as to how to go about it.

The idea was to take a decent 3:4 ratio photograph of the top half of a person, then lay an animation cel over and trace with a Sharpie marker. I'd do this maybe 5-8 times, then scan and put the resulting images in a loop. I know it'd look like Squigglevision or the characters from Hotel Dusk:

but more static, as these would just be from still photographs, with no attempt at motion or change of expression.

My question is, what materials to use for the first try? I was thinking of using the cheapest animation cels I could find (I can get those at the average comic book or campus art supply store, right?) and Sharpie markers for the tracings, then scan. After that, I was thinking of printing the tracings out on bristol and then using brushes with different dilutions of sumi-e or india ink to put in some wash shading.

Am I thinking in the wrong direction as far as materials?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

moss piglet posted:

I was thinking of making some animations from photographs of people I know, and wanted some advice as to how to go about it.

The idea was to take a decent 3:4 ratio photograph of the top half of a person, then lay an animation cel over and trace with a Sharpie marker. I'd do this maybe 5-8 times, then scan and put the resulting images in a loop. I know it'd look like Squigglevision or the characters from Hotel Dusk:

but more static, as these would just be from still photographs, with no attempt at motion or change of expression.

My question is, what materials to use for the first try? I was thinking of using the cheapest animation cels I could find (I can get those at the average comic book or campus art supply store, right?) and Sharpie markers for the tracings, then scan. After that, I was thinking of printing the tracings out on bristol and then using brushes with different dilutions of sumi-e or india ink to put in some wash shading.

Am I thinking in the wrong direction as far as materials?

You could use transparent acetate (the kind used for classroom overhead projectors) and wet-erase pen (the Sanford brand is Vis-a-Vis). Cheap and available at any old office supply store. Obviously, use only a laser printer to print out your tracing, because the majority of inkjet printer ink is water soluble. Also, you might have to try a few different weights and types of bristol board, because some of them might not fuse with the laser toner, which can result in the toner flaking off.

Even so, I would say don't bother trying to hand-ink each frame. The boil of the different washes will be too distracting on top of the line boil. Instead, I would do one tonal wash and composite it against all the lines. Here's what I'm talking about :

WentWhere
Oct 28, 2006
to the store

neonnoodle posted:

Even so, I would say don't bother trying to hand-ink each frame. The boil of the different washes will be too distracting on top of the line boil. Instead, I would do one tonal wash and composite it against all the lines. Here's what I'm talking about :

This is totally personal opinion but I sort of prefer the second one, even with the boiling ink wash. The first one looks so digital to me that I'd find it more difficult to connect to the character because I'd be thinking way too much about the process. It might not be so bad if you mask the inside of the linework more closely so that the texture behind at least changes shape with the linework, but then that's painful extra step if your linework isn't super simple.

Like I said, though, it's totally personal opinion, and I went to school for animation so where I'd be thinking about process, a regular animation viewer would just be enjoying the piece.

e: I can actually think of a few processes you could try with this, but they involve varying amounts of steps, complexity, and time consumption.

WentWhere fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 28, 2011

FidgetWidget
Aug 13, 2005
A Storm's a Brewin'!
Can anyone recommend a fast, easy way to create digital storyboards? Perhaps a program of some sort? Google produces a lot of crapware. ( Free Storyboarding Pro, $59.99 ship from Hong Kong extra fast! )

Our professor has given us free reign "as long as it works" and I am pretty much clueless. My previous effort involved 64 layers in Photoshop which, while functional, was agonizingly tedious and extremely limiting when it came to dialogue and the like.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

FidgetWidget posted:

Can anyone recommend a fast, easy way to create digital storyboards? Perhaps a program of some sort? Google produces a lot of crapware. ( Free Storyboarding Pro, $59.99 ship from Hong Kong extra fast! )

Our professor has given us free reign "as long as it works" and I am pretty much clueless. My previous effort involved 64 layers in Photoshop which, while functional, was agonizingly tedious and extremely limiting when it came to dialogue and the like.

Flash works well if you have access to it for timing things out and roughing the animation with tweens.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Excellent, I hadn't thought about regular office acetone or a static wash. What would be a good way of making one? Scanning one from a line drawing then digitally removing the black lines?

WentWhere posted:

e: I can actually think of a few processes you could try with this, but they involve varying amounts of steps, complexity, and time consumption.

I'd like to hear more

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

moss piglet posted:

Excellent, I hadn't thought about regular office acetone or a static wash. What would be a good way of making one? Scanning one from a line drawing then digitally removing the black lines?

I'd like to hear more

For the static wash, I would take all your inked acetates and put them together into a stack, then put your bristol board on top. Then use a light table (or just hold the stack against a window) and very lightly trace the lines in pencil onto the bristol board. Stacking all your acetates together for this step will help you get a good "average" line, so you won't heavily favor any one of your outline frames. Then you can ink wash the paper, scan and overlay your lines without the pencil really showing up much.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

http://vimeo.com/21822525

Project a buddy and me did for a class on cutout animation. Inspired by russian folklore.

Did the animation in Maya.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

felat posted:

http://vimeo.com/21822525

Project a buddy and me did for a class on cutout animation. Inspired by russian folklore.

Did the animation in Maya.

I liked it! The opening and waves remind me a lot of The Tale of How by the Blackheart Gang and I really liked the little sea shanty backgrounds in the beginning.

Do you mind if I ask how hard it is to learn how to use Maya to do 2D things like this?

felat
Apr 27, 2008

I don't mind at all. I'm still learning how to animate in maya and for 2d stuff we simply created planes, imported PNGs of drawings I did in photoshop on them and then animated the planes. It wasn't too complicated.

The Tale oh How was one of our inspirations for this one, so you're not crazy.

What is a sea shanty? English is not my first language and I'm not familiar with the term.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Not totally an animtion question but a flash question. Im currently building a portfolio and I'm trying to import a bitmap image for a thumbnail. No matter how I do it I get a lovely 1997 level of jpeg artifacts on it. Ive tried just pasting it direct from photoshop and importing it in various file formats. Any suggestions?

Its photoshop CS5 and Flash CS5. I would use my old flash but it hates windows 7 and crashes without warning thus destroying all my hard work :sigh:

EDIT: Nevermind I sorted it, in the library you can change the compression settings.

Hopefully a short anim on the way from me, gonna be applying for a multimedia designer job and its mainly flash

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 5, 2011

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
I don't know if this isn't animation-specific for this thread, but where do you guys get your sound effects? I haven't really had a terrible need to get a bunch together since my student film, but now I need a bunch again. I used to just google around and pull stuff off seedy web sites, I'd like to be a bit more professional this time.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

http://www.findsounds.com/ and http://www.freesound.org/ are the 2 I use on a regular basis.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

felat posted:

What is a sea shanty? English is not my first language and I'm not familiar with the term.

The huts on sticks with the porthole windows.

Nate Breakman posted:

I don't know if this isn't animation-specific for this thread, but where do you guys get your sound effects? I haven't really had a terrible need to get a bunch together since my student film, but now I need a bunch again. I used to just google around and pull stuff off seedy web sites, I'd like to be a bit more professional this time.

I've used this site quite a bit: http://www.soundrangers.com/

felat
Apr 27, 2008

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I've used this site quite a bit: http://www.soundrangers.com/

It seems like you have to pay for these?

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
I use soundsnap.com

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Over the past three weeks at my school:

-The directors of beauty and the beast came and lectured/chatted with students.

-Had a cool lecture from a stop-motion animator who used to work with Henry Selick and now does CG work with stop motion when he can. (The dementors in Harry Potter films are a recent example of his work.) He brought AN ACTUAL GUMBY PUPPET, a Jack Skelltingon vowel sound head (that i got to play with), a box of mouth shapes from one of the characters of 'bump in the night' and assorted props and character puppets from Nightmare Before Xmas and James & the Giant peach - several of which I also got to handle. (The non-fragile ones anyway.)

-Visited disney animation studios 'inspire day' tour.

And this week, a director of dreamworks is visiting the school. (Can't say who.)

It's like they don't want me to get my animation work done.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Times posted:

Over the past three weeks at my school:

-The directors of beauty and the beast came and lectured/chatted with students.

-Had a cool lecture from a stop-motion animator who used to work with Henry Selick and now does CG work with stop motion when he can. (The dementors in Harry Potter films are a recent example of his work.) He brought AN ACTUAL GUMBY PUPPET, a Jack Skelltingon vowel sound head (that i got to play with), a box of mouth shapes from one of the characters of 'bump in the night' and assorted props and character puppets from Nightmare Before Xmas and James & the Giant peach - several of which I also got to handle. (The non-fragile ones anyway.)

-Visited disney animation studios 'inspire day' tour.

And this week, a director of dreamworks is visiting the school. (Can't say who.)

It's like they don't want me to get my animation work done.

We had a guy from Quebec (where I live) who works at ILM give a conference over skype to our class and I was really stoked about it, but you're ten times luckier than we are! It was surprising to learn that a dozen guys at ILM are from Quebec.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Do the Quay Bros. ever give talks?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book/blog/info source on stop motion animation? I feel I have a lot to learn about camera movement and other such things, as my professional training is in writing, and not at all in animation.

I can't really say it's "good", as it's just the things we learned as total amateurs with no prior animation experience, but https://legomatrix.com has a load of stuff on how we made our Trinity Help video, if you can be cared to read through it all.
I imagine it's all pretty obvious stuff, but might be of interest.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Here's something I did to take my mind off the soul-crushing freelance project I'm in the middle of now.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Oh man, his bit running up the stairs is adorable. You've got a great, classic style. Do you have anything else to show?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Nate Breakman posted:

Oh man, his bit running up the stairs is adorable. You've got a great, classic style. Do you have anything else to show?

Thank you! I wish I had more to show for my efforts, but I've just been teaching myself over the course of many years. It's been very slow going, and only now am I beginning to be able to make longer pieces.

Right now I'm working on another entry for the 11 Second Club.
Here's an entry from a couple years ago.

I have toyed with the idea of going to school for animation, but I'm not interested in 3D, and I'm not convinced I'd be able to make a living doing hand-drawn animation. I fear that the only jobs I would find would be horrible symbol-based Flash animation for commercials and children's TV.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I do Flash animation for games and I like it. Many times I don't even use symbols, just because you can't do anything in perspective. Besides, commercials and children's TV aren't all that terrible, theres some good stuff out there.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
Hey duders! I recently got intrested in stop motion. And I was wondering, where would I start to learn more? Are there any websites with instructions on how to build armatures? I really apprecieate the advice!

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
If this is spamming or thread making GBS threads or anything like that please call me on it, but I made a cartoon that's gonna be in This Show tomorrow. The show starts at 8pm pacific time and they'll be live streaming it in that link. It's the first time I've been involved in something like this and I feel like a total grownup so please watch and support my delusions of grandeur.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOs1hd5ReM

And now that the show's over, here's the cartoon I did for it. I used a lot more little flash-y cheats than I normally like to but for doing it between work hours over the course of a few weeks, I'm pretty happy with it. Thoughts? Opinions? Horrible mistakes I missed?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This isn't much of a film, but I did this to get familiar with After Effects and do some typographic animation.

https://vimeo.com/22918754

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felat
Apr 27, 2008

http://vimeo.com/23120064

Stop-motion animation I did with a couple of other guys. This was extremely fun to make and I'd love to do more stuff like this in the futur.