Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

berzerkmonkey posted:

I am looking at purchasing a 2011 Golf TDI (manual). I have a 2 hour commute, 5 days a week, and even with diesel being more than the price of gas, I'll still save about a grand a year in gas.

My concern is maintenance on the vehicle. I'll put upwards of 30K+ per year on the car, so I'm going to burn through standard maintenance faster than a "normal" driver. I couldn't find any service schedule over 30K miles online, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

What am I looking at in terms of service? The oil changes every 10K miles I'm already aware of, but what about other services? I've never owned a diesel or a VW before, so this is completely new ground for me. I'd rather not purchase the car and find that I'm actually deeper in the hole because of more expensive service requirements.

I have a 2001 Jetta TDI and all I can say is that with the exception of some parts that are well known to fail for my particular generation (window regulators, some trim pieces) the single most important service is the timing belt replacement. I know mine is an 80,000 mile interval but newer models might go longer between replacement. The car has had no mechanical problems whatsoever.

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I have a Jetta 2001 TDI and all I can say is that with the exception of some parts that are well known to fail for my particular generation (window regulators, some trim pieces) the single most important service is the timing belt replacement. I know mine is an 80,000 mile interval but never models might go longer between replacement. The car has had no mechanical problems whatsoever.

I would add to this that it might be a good idea to stop by your local VW dealer and ask for a copy of their maintenance schedule - it'll usually have prices for the scheduled services and often the timing belt intervals as well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I have a 2001 Jetta TDI and all I can say is that with the exception of some parts that are well known to fail for my particular generation (window regulators, some trim pieces) the single most important service is the timing belt replacement. I know mine is an 80,000 mile interval but newer models might go longer between replacement. The car has had no mechanical problems whatsoever.
It's good to know that it is a reliable vehicle - that's exactly what I need. I was told 100K for the timing belt. I understand it's pretty expensive, but I guess if I have no other problems, I can deal with it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's good to know that it is a reliable vehicle - that's exactly what I need. I was told 100K for the timing belt. I understand it's pretty expensive, but I guess if I have no other problems, I can deal with it.

Does the TDI still have a timing belt? I know they went back to a chain on the TSI motors, I figured the TDI would be the same.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Does the TDI still have a timing belt? I know they went back to a chain on the TSI motors, I figured the TDI would be the same.
Maybe it is - it was referred to as the timing belt when I was told of the maintenance schedule.

At any rate, I bought one last night. Here's looking to a long, healthy relationship.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

veedubfreak posted:

I don't know about the new ones, but my A4 Jetta has a plain old rubber timing belt.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
A5 TDI with a rubber belt, too.

I finally took my car to the dealership to have the interior put back on (while I was getting the stump of a passenger mirror replaced as well). VW themselves wouldn't do it, but one of the techs offered to. It took him 11 hours (I believe every bit of that) but I finally have an interior again :3:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looking to buy a 2000 A4 quattro Avant manual tomorrow. Engine is sludged. Owner had the problem at 60k miles and rebuilt the motor. Car now has 110k miles. Owner turned the car off and towed car immediately after oil light came on, engine was still running.

I know it's a gamble, but I need a project. I've known about sludging in 1.8T since it's been a problem, but never dealt with this engine and this problem. I've had luck with Auto-RX before and I'll probably try the same thing with this one.

Am I insane?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Maybe it is - it was referred to as the timing belt when I was told of the maintenance schedule.

At any rate, I bought one last night. Here's looking to a long, healthy relationship.

I've been looking at these too. My commute is much shorter, but my current car (2003 Saab 9-3) is getting 23 mpg in mostly city driving. The TDI @ 30 mpg city is really tempting. Even when you off set the price of Desel versus the Premium Gas I have to put into my current car.

How does it feel driving and your take on the overall driver enjoyment factor?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

Looking to buy a 2000 A4 quattro Avant manual tomorrow. Engine is sludged. Owner had the problem at 60k miles and rebuilt the motor. Car now has 110k miles. Owner turned the car off and towed car immediately after oil light came on, engine was still running.

I know it's a gamble, but I need a project. I've known about sludging in 1.8T since it's been a problem, but never dealt with this engine and this problem. I've had luck with Auto-RX before and I'll probably try the same thing with this one.

Am I insane?

I bought a sludger with 58k on it and I was able to douche it out with MMO, Seafoam and about 5 oil changes in a row. I can't tell you about longevity since I junked it 7k later (unrelated to the engine) but after the douche the engine was perfectly quiet, smooth and unproblematic for those miles.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
Where are all the grounds located on the 2.7T? My voltage meter is fluctuating noticeably while driving. It drops at idle, then strangely enough it hops back up to twelve when I'm taking hard left turns - this seems like a loose wire to me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nystral posted:

I've been looking at these too. My commute is much shorter, but my current car (2003 Saab 9-3) is getting 23 mpg in mostly city driving. The TDI @ 30 mpg city is really tempting. Even when you off set the price of Desel versus the Premium Gas I have to put into my current car.

I have a chipped 1.8t in my GLI and one of the guys I work with has a '10 Golf with the TDI and it feels like the TDI pulls harder than my 1.8t does. But then his runs out of steam at 4500 rpms.

As far as sludging goes, I hadn't heard anything about the 1.8t sludging, is this really an issue? Was it still an issue at the end of the line in 04/05?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

I bought a sludger with 58k on it and I was able to douche it out with MMO, Seafoam and about 5 oil changes in a row. I can't tell you about longevity since I junked it 7k later (unrelated to the engine) but after the douche the engine was perfectly quiet, smooth and unproblematic for those miles.

I had to pass on it... there's a difference between deferred maintenance and recklessly-neglectful maintenance. It probably would have cleaned up, but every system of the car would have needed to have been gone through.

Sludge? I didn't need to go any further than the bottom of the oil fill cap, it was caked on it. Asked the owner when the last oil change was -- "well, we just got done with 2010, so probably the end of 2009." And the oil was a little too milkshake-y for my comfort level. And he didn't know if the timing belt was done when the motor was de-sludged at 60k miles.

All those, combined with the fact that I think I broke the seal on the coolant and brake reservoirs told me to walk away. Oh well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nystral posted:

I like it.
Pros:
I've only been driving it back and forth to work, but I'll say it's sportier than any of my previous cars and handles well. My previous car, an HHR, was so bad in slick conditions, I dreaded driving it. And snow? Forget about it - anything more than 2 inches and I was sliding all over the road and getting stuck. I have never had a car that handled that badly.

It has really good pickup, especially in second gear - you really feel the turbo kick in.

The car is very comfortable, and feels nicely appointed (though you do pay more for the TDI, so there is the tradeoff.)

The windshield is nice and large - though I'm coming from a Chevy HHR, which has a horrible view. I had to duck just to see traffic lights in that car.

You have steering-wheel controls in this model. Pretty neat stuff - just be sure you aren't trying things out when driving back home from the dealership - I wasn't paying attention and almost ran off the road.

Bluetooth comes standard and works really well. There is no problem hearing the other party, and they can hear me fine.

I have the winter package with the heated seats, and they are great. Get nice and toasty.

There is a ton of legroom. I usually have to pull the driver's seat back all the way, so my legs can stretch out fully. In the TDI, I barely need to pull it back halfway. This leaves tons of room for the backseat passengers as well.

500+ miles to a tank. I have a mix of city/highway, and on my first tank, it looks like I'll be getting just over 500 miles out of a 14.5 tank. I was hoping to fill up once every five days - doesn't look like I'll quite make it, more like once every 4.5 vs. every 3 days with my former HHR. Still, hopefully I'll save a few bucks. I figure I'll make back the VW diesel model markup in about three years due to gas savings. If you are currently putting Premium in your car, you're going to see an even quicker return. Plus, I'll get the (hopefully) added benefit of:

A more reliable diesel engine. I understand you can expect to get at least 250k out of a maintained diesel, so hopefully, I won't have to worry about another car for some time.

Cons
Headlights are not automatic - you actually have to turn them on and off, which I thought was weird. Even low-end cars have auto-on headlights now.

The headrests on all seats are very tall, so vision out of the back of the car is somewhat limited - not terribly so, but if you come from a car where you could see the full rear window, it's going to be a bit jarring.

I find there is a huge blind spot on the driver's side (I have the 2 door model) when you're looking back to your left to change lanes. Both the headrest and the vertical support between the front and back windows block your vision. Side mirrors don't show everything, and I like to double-check to make sure I'm not going to hit a dump truck...

The front seats are racing-inspired, and so have that bolster on the sides which kind of curves up. To me, the seats seem kind of narrow. I'm a decent sized guy, 6ft, 220, so maybe I'm bigger than the average German - though I did see the seat size/bolsters as a recurring complaint of many owners of this car.

Loooong clutch action. I have the manual, and the clutch has a really long action. This isn't so much of a problem in gears 2-6, but when starting from first, you really have to be mindful of making sure of your usage of the clutch. (Not so much a con, more something I need to get used to.)

Sticker shock. I went from $3.63 a gallon to $4.07 a gallon ($4.21 if you count the last rip-off place I went to.) That is a huge increase that makes you question buying the car in the first place. "On top of car payments, gas is more expensive too? Oh, God, what have I done?" BUT, that being said. I (hopefully) have a more reliable car that I can count on for many years to come.

All in all, the car is pretty darn nice. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 31, 2011

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I drive a 98 Jetta TDI, and I love it. I keep track of the fuel every time I fill up, and my lifetime average since buying the car is 43 MPG - which includes a lot of city driving, short winter trips, 80+ MPH, and general driving the car like I stole it.

You might consider picking up a 2002 or 2003 (they put in a more powerful but less fuel efficient engine in 2004) Golf/Jetta TDI. They only make 90 HP stock, but you can get a tuning chip for a few hundred dollars and/or bigger fuel injectors for a few hundred dollars. Do that and maybe put on a better exhaust, and you'll have more than 200 ft-lbs of torque. It turns into a pretty snappy car to drive, even if it's not going to win many drag races. Even with these mods, you'll still get 50MPG on the highway.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
My wife's car may have finally given up the ghost and we're looking at replacing it with a Jetta. She's going to look at a 2006 Jetta TDI tomorrow that's been kicking around Craigslist for a couple weeks. 70K miles on the odometer, 5 Speed Manual, Leather Heated Seats, Sunroof. Owner says it has a branded title due to someone scraping the passenger side up in a parking lot, but everything has been fixed. From reading the last page it sounds like everyone is really happy with their TDI's and they've been reliable for them. Anything we should look out for like common failures before 100k, known troublespots, etc? He's asking $12,700 for it, which seems relatively sane from the little I can find online.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My wife's car may have finally given up the ghost and we're looking at replacing it with a Jetta. She's going to look at a 2006 Jetta TDI tomorrow that's been kicking around Craigslist for a couple weeks. 70K miles on the odometer, 5 Speed Manual, Leather Heated Seats, Sunroof. Owner says it has a branded title due to someone scraping the passenger side up in a parking lot, but everything has been fixed. From reading the last page it sounds like everyone is really happy with their TDI's and they've been reliable for them. Anything we should look out for like common failures before 100k, known troublespots, etc? He's asking $12,700 for it, which seems relatively sane from the little I can find online.

5 year old Jetta, 70k miles, salvage title for almost $13,000? There's not a big enough font to use to say "RUN."

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

meatpimp posted:

5 year old Jetta, 70k miles, salvage title for almost $13,000? There's not a big enough font to use to say "RUN."

Sorry if I'm dense, but care to elaborate at all. Is it the salvage title that throws up the red flags? I suspect our area has a high demand for Jetta's, but I can't find much of anything in that range within 100 miles for anywhere near the price. I don't have a ton of experience with the whole salvage title element so any links to the big dangers of such a thing would be appreciated. We got the title which indicates that it came from Nebraska which raised some red flags with us. I also have a hard time believing that the damage indicated by the seller could total the car, but I've heard crazier things.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is it the salvage title that throws up the red flags?

Yes. Salvage title means it's been in a big accident, not "someone scraping the passenger side up in a parking lot".

edit: likely the car had an impact big enough to damage the frame which was then repaired.

el topo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 6, 2011

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
2 part question:

1. Found a 87 Cabriolet for 650 bucks, running condition just not pretty. Anything to look at that will throw up some obvious red flags. I'm going in the mind set of it being a $650 car, but anything to look out for that spells near death or its going to turn into a huge money pit instead of a moderate money pit.

2. The wife wants to get rid of the Trailblazer EXT. Want to step down in size but still retain the ability to tow the boat around. Boat weighs in around 2500 pounds give or take full of fuel, toys, coolers and etc. The trailer doesn't have any brakes but it wouldn't be hard at all to add some surge brakes.

So we have been looking at both the Touareg and the Tigaun, both gas engines. Which one do you guys prefer, with the boat towing in mind and why?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I also have a hard time believing that the damage indicated by the seller could total the car, but I've heard crazier things.

Then he's covering something up. That's what everyone trying to unload a salvage title car says. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, never ever buy a salvage title car. Beyond buying a previously totaled and probably shadily-repaired car and all of the awesome reliability and not-quite-rightness that comes with that, they are nearly impossible to get (good) loans for, can more difficult to insure, and will be nearly impossible to resell.

So again, unless you know exactly what you are doing (which you don't), do not buy a salvage title car.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So we have been looking at both the Touareg and the Tigaun, both gas engines. Which one do you guys prefer, with the boat towing in mind and why?

The Tiguan only has an official towing capacity of 2200lbs, so you'd pretty much have to go with the Touareg.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

el topo posted:

The Tiguan only has an official towing capacity of 2200lbs, so you'd pretty much have to go with the Touareg.

:psyduck: Welp, I can't read. To bad, that Tiguan was pretty sweet driving in town plus the good MPG's. Maybe I can get a beater truck to tow with and get the Tiguan anyways.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Sorry if I'm dense, but care to elaborate at all. Is it the salvage title that throws up the red flags? I suspect our area has a high demand for Jetta's, but I can't find much of anything in that range within 100 miles for anywhere near the price. I don't have a ton of experience with the whole salvage title element so any links to the big dangers of such a thing would be appreciated. We got the title which indicates that it came from Nebraska which raised some red flags with us. I also have a hard time believing that the damage indicated by the seller could total the car, but I've heard crazier things.

Salvage title drops value of a car at least 40%. Wait a second... "We got the title" -- does that mean that you bought it?

If you look, you can find things like this: http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2305464853.html

(in case link goes away it's a 2004 Jetta GLI w/ 29k miles, original owner, all the goodies for less than $13k)

And if you say "yeah, but that's not close to me," the cost of a 1-way ticket is less than $300, plus gas and a day to drive wherever you live. Not a big sacrifice for something you're going to have for years.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 6, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NVM Joewagon helped me figure out what it is.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 6, 2011

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So I've had my Golf TDI for just over a week, and I'm concerned about a sound I'm hearing. I've never had a diesel or a turbo before, so this may be normal, but I want to make sure either way.

I've noticed that when I'm idling, there is kind of a high-pitched beep (not beep-beep-beep, but more like beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) coming from the engine compartment. I don't know if this occurs when driving, but when I park and turn off the car, the sound goes BEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee.... for a couple of seconds after the car is off.

It isn't particularly loud, but it is loud enough to get my notice (and worry.)

Is this a pump or some sort of solenoid or something related to the turbo? Am I freaking over nothing?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks to everyone for your advice. No, we didn't buy it, just pulled the title info using the supplied VIN number. Our time situation is very limited since my wife's finishing up her Masters degree/internship right now and has negative amounts of time to go car shopping and since it will be her car she'd really need to be happy with it. This one's about 90 minutes north of us so if it lasts until the weekend I might check it out. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2307225755.html

Not a TDI, but the price seems really reasonable.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

meatpimp posted:

Salvage title drops value of a car at least 40%. Wait a second... "We got the title" -- does that mean that you bought it?

If you look, you can find things like this: http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2305464853.html

(in case link goes away it's a 2004 Jetta GLI w/ 29k miles, original owner, all the goodies for less than $13k)

And if you say "yeah, but that's not close to me," the cost of a 1-way ticket is less than $300, plus gas and a day to drive wherever you live. Not a big sacrifice for something you're going to have for years.

Plus the GLI doesn't look like complete rear end like the mk5 jetta did :)

Also, how the gently caress did he only put 29k on it in 6 years. I thought mine was good only having 68k.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 6, 2011

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I just picked up a 2011 Golf TDI and sold an 08 GTI.

The GTI had an APR ECU tune which made a spectacular change to the way the car drove. I've been having a hard time finding something similar for the 2011 TDI. Does anyone have experience with this? I don't plan on chipping right away, but it would be great to have done.

Can anyone comment?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

qutius posted:

I just picked up a 2011 Golf TDI and sold an 08 GTI.

The GTI had an APR ECU tune which made a spectacular change to the way the car drove. I've been having a hard time finding something similar for the 2011 TDI. Does anyone have experience with this? I don't plan on chipping right away, but it would be great to have done.

Can anyone comment?

A buddy here at work has a '10 tdi golf and was asking about chips. I run an apr tune on my 1.8t, and checked APR and they currently don't make a tune for the new TDI yet. He said he talked to a different shop and Rivo makes a flash for the new TDI. Might check that out.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

:psyduck: Welp, I can't read. To bad, that Tiguan was pretty sweet driving in town plus the good MPG's. Maybe I can get a beater truck to tow with and get the Tiguan anyways.

Be sure to get the correct trailer wiring harness if you do buy the Tiguan (or any other late-model VW product for that matter) because it uses a PWM signal to run the lights and most aftermarket kits don't work with them.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

A buddy here at work has a '10 tdi golf and was asking about chips. I run an apr tune on my 1.8t, and checked APR and they currently don't make a tune for the new TDI yet. He said he talked to a different shop and Rivo makes a flash for the new TDI. Might check that out.

Interesting. Didn't know there were any TDI tunes out there. Might pass that on to my buddy that has the Jetta TDI Cup.

Turbocharged Diesel
1.4TDi +33 bhp gain +37 lbft torque gain
1.9TDi +35-50 bhp gain +50 lbft torque gain
2.0TDi +45 bhp gain +53 lbft torque gain
3.0TDi +44 bhp gain +28 lbft torque gain

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I currently own an ailing BMW e30 318i and I'm considering replacing it with a 2.0 2000-2001 Golf GTI. On the rap sheet they look similar in terms of performance. I don't want a step down, can someone please confirm what I should expect? Slower/faster/nippy/sluggish? The E30 was my first car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Southern Heel posted:

I currently own an ailing BMW e30 318i and I'm considering replacing it with a 2.0 2000-2001 Golf GTI. On the rap sheet they look similar in terms of performance. I don't want a step down, can someone please confirm what I should expect? Slower/faster/nippy/sluggish? The E30 was my first car.

2.0 is slow. Slow-slow. Floor-it-all-the-time-and-always-be-bored slow. I can't imagine that even an ailing 318i would be slower, but I have no direct comparison experience.

The 1.8t, though, is an entirely different (and fun) beast with plenty of potential.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've realised there's another option that's only £600ish more - What about the V5?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Southern Heel posted:

I've realised there's another option that's only £600ish more - What about the V5?

Is it a V5 or a straight 5? Either way, it's a much more modern engine than the 2.0. It's also much more enjoyable to drive. Way more torque than the 2.0 and it's got a surprising (but not stunning) amount of pull.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

Interesting. Didn't know there were any TDI tunes out there. Might pass that on to my buddy that has the Jetta TDI Cup.

Turbocharged Diesel

I went to 133hp, 242ft/lbs (+30, +50) of torque on my 1.9L PD with just a chiptune. It was awesome seeing it on the dyno. I left a sooty black mark :)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

JHVH-1 posted:

Turbocharged Diesel

So a new GOLF TDI is 2.0 and this chip works? Or is it only for older engines?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I'm looking at either a new TDI Golf or A3. Is there an appreciable difference in drivability between the two? What do I gain (besides fancy interior bits) with the A3? Seems like a pretty major difference in price for what amounts to...leather seats and some fancy lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
So I took my 2007 MKV GTI into the dealer yesterday to get a new key made. ($150 for the switchblade key, $115 to program it. :aaa:)

They also wanted to perform three TSB's on the car. I was surprised, because I thought the car was completely out of warranty. Anyway, they wanted to do an ECU update, replace the coil packs and do something with the passenger airbag.

I told them the car was chipped, so they didn't do the ECU update. They did do the airbag service.

They also replaced the coil packs. Sort of.

The previous owner had already replaced the coils with the latest revision Audi ones. (The cool looking ones with red trim. Revision "E" I think.)

Instead of replacing the coil packs outright, he just left four brand new VW Revision "F" ones on my front seat.

I guess they figured I did all my own work (I had a Bentley Service Manual in the backseat) and would like a spare set for when the current ones go?

Anyway, it was a nice surprise.

They still overcharge like a mother fucker ($500 for an A/C recharge, $700 for a DSG oil change), but at least their techs are nice.