Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

quote:

He walks around the house or our bedroom and meows, and meows, and meows. This can occur any time from 5 am to 9 am.

Are you usually up and around between 5-9? If you bug out of a routine, a cat will bitch incessantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

What is a good flea medication? I couldn't find anything in the op.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

gowb posted:

What is a good flea medication? I couldn't find anything in the op.

Advantage or Revolution. From your vet, nothing store bought, lots of off the shelf items make cats sick, or worse.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

RheaConfused posted:

Advantage or Revolution. From your vet, nothing store bought, lots of off the shelf items make cats sick, or worse.

Actually, many pet stores now carry these brands of flea preventative. Apparently you no longer need to get them from your vet (although you shouldn't start your animal on any new medication without first consulting your vet), just make sure you're getting the right product for your animal.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Serella posted:

Actually, many pet stores now carry these brands of flea preventative. Apparently you no longer need to get them from your vet (although you shouldn't start your animal on any new medication without first consulting your vet), just make sure you're getting the right product for your animal.

Ah! I'm not sure if that's the case in Texas? Or if you can get Advantage I think it's not multi so it doesn't have heartworm protection...

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
You can get the brands without heartworm prevention at pet stores - Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantage.

Revolution and Advantage Multi require a script.

Also Advantage Multi freaks me out. It has more scary warning labels than any other product, including stuff like "children should not come into contact with application site for 30 minutes" which is a little sketchy.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Crooked Booty posted:

You can get the brands without heartworm prevention at pet stores - Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantage.

Revolution and Advantage Multi require a script.

Also Advantage Multi freaks me out. It has more scary warning labels than any other product, including stuff like "children should not come into contact with application site for 30 minutes" which is a little sketchy.

Once I got it on my desk phone after dosing the clinic cats and it took the finish off the phone :cry:

edit:
An update on my Oona. CRYSTALS ARE BACK. I am so loving annoyed :argh: I have been feeding my baby lovely c/d for a year and it didn't even help.

Trip report for the Cat Hospital of Austin. I had to work, but my husband liked the place, describing it as a nicer version of my previous clinic (really old house that needed remodeling). He dropped her off and they got a sample around 1:30. Then they didn't read it till 4:30. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for this first visit, since I worked in a clinic myself and I know how lovely the Monday flood of e-vet patients can be. I just wish we could have picked her up as soon as they got the sample, because I worry about URIs.

Dr. Percival seems to be worried about stones :cry: Although, Oona had both an xray and a bladder ultrasound last April and was clear, we may have to repeat those tests in a few weeks. We'll definitely be trying another food, probably Royal Canin Urinary S/O. Nonetheless there are at least a few more vet visits/urinalyses in my future.

It was about $200 today for a drop off visit, in cysto, in house u/a and a week's worth of metacam. Seems about what I'm used to, maybe a little pricey, but not shocking.

:sigh: $400 in the past two days. I haven't paid for vet care in almost 4 years. My husband hasn't found a job yet. Suuuuck. That's just what that credit card is for though.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 29, 2011

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Ugh, the fleas have worsened. We grabbed some Frontline Plus and applied it tonight and it seems to have driven the little fuckers into a frenzy, poor Meachie is sooo miserable. :( They seem to have gotten on me a bit too, though it might just be my imagination, since my girlfriend hasn't reported any itchiness. Looks like it's all-out flea war. Sigh. Guess I'll start getting flea bombs or whatever it is. I'm terrified that they're in the couch and our blankets too so I've been putting off going to sleep.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Hi everyone. I'm considering getting a cat or two in a couple years once living conditions permit it and I have a couple questions.

First, I heard Maine Coons are awesome. Are they?

Should I get one cat or two? Siblings perhaps?

Should I buy one from a breeder or go to a pound and hope for some luck? I'd honestly prefer the second option as I'd like to save a cat or two.

I'd prefer a lap cat rather than one that was crazy but I could adjust if I had to.

I literally just skimmed the FAQ but I'd figured I'd ask some of these questions anyway since it's somewhat focused. Thanks!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
There are many many long haired cats with very similar coat types to maine coons. As far as i know, maine coons don't really have anything specific about them other than their looks. Unless you absolutely must have a specific breed of cat, then head to your shelter. Older cats will already have their personalities and your shelter will easily be able to recommend you a more laid back people cat.

If you think you want two cats, ask if they have any sibling or bonded cats that need to be adopted together.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

The.GreyWolf posted:

Hi everyone. I'm considering getting a cat or two in a couple years once living conditions permit it and I have a couple questions.

First, I heard Maine Coons are awesome. Are they?
Yes. But all cats are awesome.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Should I get one cat or two? Siblings perhaps?
It's always nice to have multiple cats so they have each other. If you get kittens, you are crazy to only get one. Siblings are fine, but there are plenty of non-sibling bonded pairs as well.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Should I buy one from a breeder or go to a pound and hope for some luck? I'd honestly prefer the second option as I'd like to save a cat or two.
No good reason to go to a breeder unless you are interested in going to cat shows.

The.GreyWolf posted:

I'd prefer a lap cat rather than one that was crazy but I could adjust if I had to.
If you want a lap cat, then you need to get an adult with a set personality. You never know what you'll end up with if you get a kitten.

Sounds like a bonded pair of adult cats from a rescue/shelter would be perfect for you. Find a reputable rescue organization that does fostering in your area. Tell them what you are looking for in a cat, and I'm sure they can hook you up with the ideal kitties within a few weeks.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
What's a reasonable monthly figure to budget for cat care (food, vet care, grooming etc)? Obviously I'll spend whatever I need to but I'm filling out an application for an adoption agency near here and they seem pretty serious. I feel like I'm being interviewed by a social worker.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Monthly upkeep for me runs between 25-35 dollars per cat. That's basic food/litter and a bag of treats per month. Minimum vet care is probably just their yearly checkup/rabies shot which shouldn't go over 100$, unless someone gets sick/fleas/crystals where you're looking at a lot more.

I think my cats would murder me in my sleep if I took them to a groomer, they're self sufficient for the most part. I give em a bath once or twice a year if they look shabby. Frequent brushing is of course mandatory if you don't want hair on literally everything in your house but that's free after you buy the brush. (Plugging the Zoom Groom here, it is the best thing ever.)

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

mistaya posted:

Monthly upkeep for me runs between 25-35 dollars per cat. That's basic food/litter and a bag of treats per month. Minimum vet care is probably just their yearly checkup/rabies shot which shouldn't go over 100$, unless someone gets sick/fleas/crystals where you're looking at a lot more.

I think my cats would murder me in my sleep if I took them to a groomer, they're self sufficient for the most part. I give em a bath once or twice a year if they look shabby. Frequent brushing is of course mandatory if you don't want hair on literally everything in your house but that's free after you buy the brush. (Plugging the Zoom Groom here, it is the best thing ever.)

I was planning on getting a FURminator but that one you talked about is waaay cheaper. I went and looked at some kitties today, this agency has them on display at a store near my place. I'm pretty sure they train them to guilt trip the poo poo out of people. They would meow and put their paws through the bars and rest them on my hand. I felt like I was watching one of those commercials with the Sarah McLachlan music.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

HandsomeBen posted:

I was planning on getting a FURminator but that one you talked about is waaay cheaper.

I have a generic furminator clone from Wal-Mart that works just as well as the real thing but only cost $12

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
I'm currently engaged in a battle of wills with my cat.

The store I go to stop carrying the dry brand I normally feed her (Halo's Spot's Stew), so I bought the next best alternative (Wellness Indoor Health). I tried doing the switch gradually, but I didn't have enough of her original food to do so as slowly as I would have liked. Now, she seems to be mostly boycotting her dry food. At what point should I be worried and give up and just find a different store that carries Halo, or should I just wait it out and trust that she'll stop being stubborn?

For the record, I give her wet food at night and she has no problem hoovering that.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Shebrew posted:

I'm currently engaged in a battle of wills with my cat.

The store I go to stop carrying the dry brand I normally feed her (Halo's Spot's Stew), so I bought the next best alternative (Wellness Indoor Health). I tried doing the switch gradually, but I didn't have enough of her original food to do so as slowly as I would have liked. Now, she seems to be mostly boycotting her dry food. At what point should I be worried and give up and just find a different store that carries Halo, or should I just wait it out and trust that she'll stop being stubborn?

For the record, I give her wet food at night and she has no problem hoovering that.

It's not her being stubborn, if cats don't like a food they won't eat it. Go to another store or try another brand but you want your cat eating like normal again ASAP. You want to avoid any unnecessary weight loss at all costs.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

RheaConfused posted:

It's not her being stubborn, if cats don't like a food they won't eat it. Go to another store or try another brand but you want your cat eating like normal again ASAP. You want to avoid any unnecessary weight loss at all costs.

I guess I'll give the bag of dry food to a friend and switch her to something else then. In the meanwhile, I'll give her wet food twice a day so she doesn't lose weight.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
If your friend's cat wont eat the food either, lots of shelters will accept open bags of dry food.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Abbeh posted:

If your friend's cat wont eat the food either, lots of shelters will accept open bags of dry food.

That's a good call. I'll e-mail the shelter where I got Po and see if they would take it.

You win this time, Po :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
What luck have people had with automatic feeding/cleaning devices? Stuff like the automatic feeders, water fountains, and automated litter boxes. I work kinda weird hours and stuff like that would make my life a little easier.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

A Curvy Goonette posted:

What luck have people had with automatic feeding/cleaning devices? Stuff like the automatic feeders, water fountains, and automated litter boxes. I work kinda weird hours and stuff like that would make my life a little easier.
I can't say enough good things about the Litter Robot. I've had mine for about 18 months with zero problems, and I know some other PI folks have had theirs for years without any issues. I used to have 2 regular litter boxes for my two cats, and I constantly alternated between "I HATE SCOOPING THESE BOXES :argh:" and "I am a terrible pet-owner because I don't scoop these boxes enough. :("

My cats transitioned to the Litter Robot very easily because they clearly prefer having spotless litter. Every 6-7 days (for 2 cats), I change the trash bag and top off the box with fresh litter. There's no odor. My cats are never forced to step in their own waste. I feel less guilty about asking friends or family to watch my cats when I'm out of town because I don't have to ask them to touch a nasty litter box. It's amazing in every way. If mine broke today, I'd buy another one immediately, and if that one broke next week, I'd still buy another one. I love my Litter Robot.

I have a CatIt water fountain and don't use it anymore because it's a pain in my rear end to clean. My cats eat canned food so they don't drink much anyway. If I got another fountain, I'd get one with a really simple design that's easy to clean and preferably ceramic. I am too lazy to disassemble everything to scrub slime off it every week.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
That Litter Robot thing looks terrifying. Did the cats take to it right away or did they have some trepidations about GIANT ROTATING LITTER BALL DEVICE?

Good to know about the fountain too, are the ceramic ones more resistance to slime buildup?

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010
I've got a cat who has been nothing but teeny problems that have been costing me a lot of money. :(
Monster needed his shots, and was having issues with his eyes. Of course, when I took him to the vet, his eyes looked fine aside from a little red....so I had to take him back three days later when they were red and had green eye boogers and blah blah blah. He got eye drops, his eyes look fine, though the vet had said this may be a reoccurring problem. Whatever, that's done, and it only cost me like 400 Canadian dollars total for both visits (for paying the vets, for the medicine, and then for transportation both times.) :cry:

Now...Monster. Normally, Monster gets a variety of foods that are mixed together. I seriously only go by the packages and not at all by the names, so I couldn't tell you what they all are, but they are all in the 'premium' category. Grain free, all that jazz.
Somehow, we ran out of cat food, which...is a rare occurrence. So I ran down to the store nearby, and grabbed something that looked just fine, ingredients wise, was grain free, and was recommended to me by the owner of the store.
Turns out Monster's allergic to it. :( Through process of elimination, I've determined it's probably because it was a salmon formula. He's never had anything salmon flavored before as far as I know, and has never had a reaction to any other food. He normally eats chicken/duck flavored foods.
Now, he's been switched to a different food, but was eating that other poo poo for like a week while I was away and my boyfriend was feeding him. I came home and he is...seriously dandruffy, and also has little bumps (some of which are scabby) all over him, that I believe are hives. He's clearly pretty drat itchy.
He's been off that food for two days, and is...still full of dandruff and has the bumps.
What can I do for him? :( Is there anything I can do to help my baby feel better? Sorry for the wall-o-text but I am so worried.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

A Curvy Goonette posted:

That Litter Robot thing looks terrifying. Did the cats take to it right away or did they have some trepidations about GIANT ROTATING LITTER BALL DEVICE?

Good to know about the fountain too, are the ceramic ones more resistance to slime buildup?
I just followed the instructions for transitioning that the company recommends, and I threw my old boxes in the dumpster in about a week. What you do is set it up with litter but unplug it, and stop scooping the old boxes. Almost all cats will use clean litter preferentially over a dirty box, so they were checking it out within 24 hours. For a a day or two, I plugged it in to cycle while the cats were shut out of the room so they didn't even get to witness the robot action. Then for a day I cycled it manually in front of them. By that time they were totally comfortable using it, so the robot part wasn't even very exciting to them. So I plugged it in. No problems. I waited a few days to get rid of the old boxes just to be 100% sure that they were only using the Robot, i.e. I made sure I witnessed them both using it more than once. I have zero tolerance for cat pee on my carpet and didn't want any accidents, so I played it really safe. Honestly I probably could have tossed the old boxes after 48 hours.

As for fountains, some cats (including one of mine) get chin acne and ceramic bowls tend to help. Supposedly bacteria and slime grows more easily on plastic than ceramic, glass, or metal.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
How big is the Litter Robot? I've got two male kitties who are a bit on the large side of normal... especially Riker, he's 14 pounds! And no, he's not a butterball with legs sticking out, according to the bet he's got some chub but he's just a big kitty.

Here's some pics of the new to me kitties, so as to prevent them from exploding!

Riker:

and Geordie:

All I've got is an iPhone so no fantastic pics but they're pretty kitties. :3: As you can see Geordie gets pretty small (he's like a slinky!) so I'm not worried about him fitting so much as Riker, who is very... solid.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Eww Daisy, stop rolling in the fresh litter :gonk:

And tell me more about this litter robot...

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Phishi posted:

How big is the Litter Robot? I've got two male kitties who are a bit on the large side of normal... especially Riker, he's 14 pounds! And no, he's not a butterball with legs sticking out, according to the bet he's got some chub but he's just a big kitty.

Here's some pics of the new to me kitties, so as to prevent them from exploding!

Riker:

and Geordie:

All I've got is an iPhone so no fantastic pics but they're pretty kitties. :3: As you can see Geordie gets pretty small (he's like a slinky!) so I'm not worried about him fitting so much as Riker, who is very... solid.

Oh yeah, they'll fit just fine. I have a big 14lb guy and he has no problem, as well as my fatty, who is no longer fat, fit fine at 16lbs.

^^edit: It's great. We've been using one for almost 9 years now. Our original was replaced when the motherboard went out, free of charge after 4 years. I have 3 cats and they all share the one litter robot with no issues. A bag of litter lasts way longer.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Crooked Booty posted:

I have a CatIt water fountain and don't use it anymore because it's a pain in my rear end to clean. My cats eat canned food so they don't drink much anyway. If I got another fountain, I'd get one with a really simple design that's easy to clean and preferably ceramic. I am too lazy to disassemble everything to scrub slime off it every week.

I've got a Glacier Point Basic Fountain from Sierra BioScience. The basin is ceramic, it has a foam filter around the pump and a carbon filter (like a Brita) tube that the water goes back through into the basin. Even my afraid of everything cat uses that fountain. You're supposed to wash everything once per week and then sort of deep clean it monthly by running super hot water through it for 5 minutes (after washing everything down).

In other words, it's awesome.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

I've been looking at the Drinkwell Platinum, http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-D2VVI-RE-Platinum-Pet-Fountain/dp/B000L3XYZ4/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_pet_fo12in , and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

HandsomeBen posted:

I've been looking at the Drinkwell Platinum, http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-D2VVI-RE-Platinum-Pet-Fountain/dp/B000L3XYZ4/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_pet_fo12in , and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

I have one and my cats like it, although really for just the one with urinary issues and the others tolerate it. We've had ours for about 2 years, and once a month my husband takes it apart and cleans it. We had a regular drinkwell before that got really scummy, but it seems like this one isn't nearly as bad, and regular maintenance means no scum at all where previously maintenance was to eliminate accumulated scum. Oh, and we have a kitty who has previously had issues with acne and she has no problems with this fountain.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Angela Manaconda posted:

I've got a cat who has been nothing but teeny problems that have been costing me a lot of money. :(
Monster needed his shots, and was having issues with his eyes. Of course, when I took him to the vet, his eyes looked fine aside from a little red....so I had to take him back three days later when they were red and had green eye boogers and blah blah blah. He got eye drops, his eyes look fine, though the vet had said this may be a reoccurring problem. Whatever, that's done, and it only cost me like 400 Canadian dollars total for both visits (for paying the vets, for the medicine, and then for transportation both times.) :cry:

Now...Monster. Normally, Monster gets a variety of foods that are mixed together. I seriously only go by the packages and not at all by the names, so I couldn't tell you what they all are, but they are all in the 'premium' category. Grain free, all that jazz.
Somehow, we ran out of cat food, which...is a rare occurrence. So I ran down to the store nearby, and grabbed something that looked just fine, ingredients wise, was grain free, and was recommended to me by the owner of the store.
Turns out Monster's allergic to it. :( Through process of elimination, I've determined it's probably because it was a salmon formula. He's never had anything salmon flavored before as far as I know, and has never had a reaction to any other food. He normally eats chicken/duck flavored foods.
Now, he's been switched to a different food, but was eating that other poo poo for like a week while I was away and my boyfriend was feeding him. I came home and he is...seriously dandruffy, and also has little bumps (some of which are scabby) all over him, that I believe are hives. He's clearly pretty drat itchy.
He's been off that food for two days, and is...still full of dandruff and has the bumps.
What can I do for him? :( Is there anything I can do to help my baby feel better? Sorry for the wall-o-text but I am so worried.

As far as the food allergies, I understand that they do express with skin problems like you describe, but it isn't something I have dealt with. I think just find the protein source that works and use that and it will take some time. Good luck with it. Maybe some one else has better thoughts on it.
As to the eyes, my girl has been through that, you can try adding a scoop of L-lysine to your cats food every day, it really helped with my cats eye ball herpes. She would get the red eyes when she was stressed out.

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010

ChairmanMeow posted:

As to the eyes, my girl has been through that, you can try adding a scoop of L-lysine to your cats food every day, it really helped with my cats eye ball herpes. She would get the red eyes when she was stressed out.

Oh, yes! The vet was rather sure what Mo had was eye herpes, as well as an infection (hence the anti-biotic drops.) I have the lysine powder, and he's been on that a while -- I mix in an 1/8th of a teaspoon with his wet food, twice a day. I have to ask though, is there any where I can get that, other than the vet's?

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Angela Manaconda posted:

Oh, yes! The vet was rather sure what Mo had was eye herpes, as well as an infection (hence the anti-biotic drops.) I have the lysine powder, and he's been on that a while -- I mix in an 1/8th of a teaspoon with his wet food, twice a day. I have to ask though, is there any where I can get that, other than the vet's?

I use this for mine: http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Solutions-Viralys-L-Lysine-Powder/dp/B0013LLHW0/ref=pd_sim_k_6

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

At what age do cats develop their set personality? I know everyone says to get an adult cat so you know what their personality is going to be because a kitten's will change. So what age should I be looking at?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

HandsomeBen posted:

At what age do cats develop their set personality? I know everyone says to get an adult cat so you know what their personality is going to be because a kitten's will change. So what age should I be looking at?

I'd say a rule of thumb would be 1.5-2 years. They're still going to have some kitteny energy at that age, but you should also be able to see what type of personality the cat has by then as well. After 2 years, cats are generally mature adults.

However, at a scary shelter a cat's personality may not show through. That's why it's nice to go with an agency that does in-home fostering.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You can probably see it earlier than that. Some cats are quieter or more cuddly even from like 6 months on. They'll generally calm down over time, but if a cat is already kind of chill at 6 months I don't think it's likely to turn into a tasmanian devil in another year.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Me too
"You purchased this item on August 24, 2010."
I've been very happy with this product.

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010
Unfortunately, I live in Canada and the shipping for that is going to be $40. So! I'm looking for it...somewhere else, haha. But thank you! I'm hoping to not have to buy it at the vet's for like $15 for a tiny bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Angela Manaconda posted:

Unfortunately, I live in Canada and the shipping for that is going to be $40. So! I'm looking for it...somewhere else, haha. But thank you! I'm hoping to not have to buy it at the vet's for like $15 for a tiny bottle.
You can get at most stores that sell lots of vitamins. It'll be labeled as just plain L-lysine. People take it for the human version of Herpes. Get the kind in capsules so you can break them open and sprinkle it on food. It has very little taste and most cats don't care.