Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
It is up to B3 to erase the shame of my inability to stay awake in battle. Narcolepsy is not a good trait for a MechWarrior!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm really glad I went with my initial plan on this turn. Granted I'm down (but not out) and I definitely didn't expect to get so lucky as to shred the Battle Cobra's gyro.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
:drat: Though this player luck might come back to bite them in the rear end, as it's only going to get the assaults in quicker.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
If this new heavy (sounds like a Vulture derivative?) is PPC-armed then I need to try to get into their minimum range. Which also conveniently would put me in range to use my big gun. What do you think, Muk, since he challenged both of us shall we show him what a Steiner gangbang is like?

Edit: And poo poo, Gunnery 2? This is gonna hurt.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
So, B3 is a Mad Dog, a custom one at that. None of the variants listed on the wiki carry 2 Clan ER-PPCs. Sucks to be Mechwarrior Knox though; one bit of bad luck and he must leave the battlefield in disgrace. His career and honor will be long in recovering, if they ever do. His likely fate is transfer to a second-line posting and eventually a Solahma unit.

Warlocke posted:

If this new heavy (sounds like a Vulture derivative?) is PPC-armed then I need to try to get into their minimum range. Which also conveniently would put me in range to use my big gun. What do you think, Muk, since he challenged both of us shall we show him what a Steiner gangbang is like?

Clan ER-PPCs have no minimum range. Challenging two Assaults at once? Gutsy of him. Especially considering he only has ~8 tons of armor.

V V V V V V A bloodnamed warrior?! This early?! OH SHI-

landcollector fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Felime posted:

:drat: Though this player luck might come back to bite them in the rear end, as it's only going to get the assaults in quicker.

They have to get past the Star Commander first. Even with the assistance of an undamaged Zeus, I wouldn't take him lightly. He has a bloodname.

landcollector posted:

So, B3 is a Mad Dog, a custom one at that.

We're in the wilderness, and things are different here. It's the 'A' variant.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 31, 2011

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

We have a winner! LeschNyhan, the prize is yours--make your bid wisely!

Well then! Thank you!

I think there's enough people in the thread that the extra votes are less valuable, and I'm on the pilot roster already -- but a place in the Remembrance is forever. I'd love to name an Omni. Do I get to learn anything about what Clan developed it and what it's general role, tonnage, appearance, or loadouts are?

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 31, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

landcollector posted:

So, B3 is a Mad Dog, a custom one at that. None of the variants listed on the wiki carry 2 Clan ER-PPCs. Sucks to be Mechwarrior Knox though; one bit of bad luck and he must leave the battlefield in disgrace. His career and honor will be long in recovering, if they ever do. His likely fate is transfer to a second-line posting and eventually a Solahama unit.

I vote that the Colonel take him as a bondsman, after being sufficiently dilatory to milk out as many turns as possible, to learn more about this curious society.

So they can better exploit its weaknesses.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

ERPPCs don't have a minimum range. :ssh:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

Ooooooh poo poo. This is going to hurt like a boulder to the head.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

I think there's enough people in the thread that the extra votes are less valuable, and I'm on the pilot roster already -- but a place in the Remembrance is forever. I'd love to name an Omni. Do I get to learn anything about what Clan developed it and what it's general role, tonnage, appearance, or loadouts are?

You get to pick the Inner Sphere name for a Clan Omnimech. Even if the 'real' name is later revealed, the Inner Sphere name will stick, just like it will with the Thunderchild.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

Man, gently caress Clan bullshit technology.

The other tactical option I saw would be to snug up against the building and make him walk around to get a firing angle, but that would probably piss him/them off.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You get to pick the Inner Sphere name for a Clan Omnimech. Even if the 'real' name is later revealed, the Inner Sphere name will stick, just like it will with the Thunderchild.

What is the Thunderchild in canon, by the way? Is it a Nova? Nova Cat?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ It's a Nova.

WarLocke posted:

Man, gently caress Clan bullshit technology.

People are finally starting to understand. I'm so proud. :3:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Artificer posted:

Nova

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

We have a winner! LeschNyhan, the prize is yours--make your bid wisely!

Out of interest, did I fail at the Far Country challenge with this?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Wait, is that other clanner out of the fight?

loving right!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

People are finally starting to understand. I'm so proud. :3:

One of those Gamma Star assaults is a Masakari with a TC and large pulse lasers, isn't it? Bullshit. :colbert:

raverrn posted:

Wait, is that other clanner out of the fight?

loving right!

The Battle Cobra is destroyed and the Thunderchild is withdrawing (subject to whether or not I want to try to bullshit with this Breen guy over him I guess).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Those PPCs can out-damage anything you can put out at range. I would advise closing in on it and unleashing everything.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Artificer posted:

It's called a Nova because that's what happens if it actually fires all of its weapons at once. :downsgun:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ The Nova can't nuke itself. It'll shut down for one turn, then be right back in the fight. The Supernova, on the other hand...

AJ_Impy posted:

Out of interest, did I fail at the Far Country challenge with this?

Nope, I'm just giving people time to submit entries for it. Since it's a bigger contest, I'm going to give it a much bigger timeframe.

Here's hoping someone decides to reenact a scene from the book using G.I. Joes or something.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

WarLocke posted:

One of those Gamma Star assaults is a Masakari with a TC and large pulse lasers, isn't it? Bullshit. :colbert:

Given the fact that PTN has redesigned the A variant of the Mad Dog, I'm would not be surprised to learn the Warhawk is equipped with at least a couple Heavy Large Lasers.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, cool. That works, too. Gimme some time, I'll come up with something for the 'Mad Dog'-looking thing. Also, be careful around it. I can almost guarantee that thing has around 200 armour, it's not the long-range support chassis it used to be; I tried upgrading it myself once a while back

In addition, it looks like the protagonist luck is holding -- sure they're only mediums, but two clan mechs down in three turns is no small feat. G'job, guys.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

landcollector posted:

Given the fact that PTN has redesigned the A variant of the Mad Dog, I'm would not be surprised to learn the Warhawk is equipped with at least a couple Heavy Large Lasers.

Heavy large lasers aren't invented yet, sadly. Honestly, ERPPCs + targeting computer is overpowered enough. If you want to make it more unfair then swap some of those ERPPCs for large pulse lasers (Warhawk C).

VVV

I don't remember you guys blowing up B5?

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 31, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LeschNyhan posted:

In addition, it looks like the protagonist luck is holding -- sure they're only mediums, but two clan mechs down in three turns is no small feat. G'job, guys.

We've got the first star down to 2 mechs, but they're both heavies and this Vulture is probably some bullshit dual-ERPPC and loads of Streak SRM config. By the time we take out these two there's no way we could take on 5 fresh assaults. But that won't keep us from trying. :black101:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm mostly having my confidence buoyed by the fact that the most damaged part of the Banshee right now is a part that doesn't have weapons on it. Still given the pounding it took from the Battle Cobra I'm expecting to go out in a blaze of glory trying to club the next challenger with my own severed arm :black101:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 31, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Three cheers for protagonist luck! It might even be mistaken for plot armor at this point. See if you can bullshit for the bondsman to buy some time, maybe ask for a chance to reposition with the bored Zeus (the clanners must think he's insane to just be off shooting up trees) while you honorably and generously let the claimed-and-shamed Nova 'withdraw to safety' now that he's a noncombatant.

I'm not familiar with the rules on claiming a warrior, do you get to keep what remains of his mech?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

WarLocke posted:

We've got the first star down to 2 mechs, but they're both heavies and this Vulture is probably some bullshit dual-ERPPC and loads of Streak SRM config. By the time we take out these two there's no way we could take on 5 fresh assaults. But that won't keep us from trying. :black101:

Even Clantech isn't magic. Bad Things happen if you'd try to fire both ERPPCs and all the SRMs. Assuming Endo Steel and maxed Ferro, you can fit the canonical 6 SRM6s or 4 Streak SRM6, but you can't get much more than 30 heat dissipation.

The question is, do you want to close and try to hit with the AC/20, eating a ton or so of SRMs in the process, or do you want to spar at more open range (ideally from behind a slope or in woods), since 2 ERPPCs isn't THAT much damage?

I'd probably close if you can get a decent to-hit with the AC/20, since even a maxed-armor Vulture only has 21ish armor on side torsos, and behind that is a LOT of SRM ammo.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 31, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

VVV

I don't remember you guys blowing up B5?

You're right, I miscounted. There are 3 heavies left, 2 of which we have no idea what chassis/configs they're carrying. :smith:

The Merry Marauder posted:

The question is, do you want to close and try to hit with the AC/20, eating a ton or so of SRMs in the process, or do you want to spar at more open range (ideally from behind a slope or in woods), since 2 ERPPCs isn't THAT much damage?

15-damage chunks is a lot when my only big gun is in the side torso that has something like 6 points of armor left.

quote:

I'd probably close if you can get a decent to-hit with the AC/20, since even a maxed-armor Vulture only has 21ish armor on side torsos, and behind that is a LOT of SRM ammo.

He moved 5, I can get into short range if I run. So something like a 8 to-hit. Not the best chances, but still the best choice I have I think.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Three cheers for protagonist luck! It might even be mistaken for plot armor at this point.

Plot armor implies I'm fudging rolls. The only rerolls I've made since this LP started was when I got a 'six' for Gamma's Random Ace role.

WarLocke posted:

You're right, I miscounted. There are 3 heavies left, 2 of which we have no idea what chassis/configs they're carrying. :smith:

But you do know they're 65 tons, and one of them's a 6/9/? which may help you narrow down what it could be.

VVV The Viper Guard aren't just a Steel Viper front-line cluster. They're the Steel Viper front-line cluster.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 31, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

Heavy large lasers aren't invented yet, sadly. Honestly, ERPPCs + targeting computer is overpowered enough. If you want to make it more unfair then swap some of those ERPPCs for large pulse lasers (Warhawk C).

Remember, history has changed from canon. Unless PTN says they're not around yet, don't count them out.

We know that B5 is likely to be a Hellbringer. B4, based on the tonnage, could be a Rifleman IIC. If so, major potential pain in store. However, a hole in my theory is that the aerial flyover unit would probably have been shot down by now, if B4 is what I think it is. Another major hole is that, unless it has received a major engine upgrade, its walk speed should be around 3 hexes not 6.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Plot armor implies I'm fudging dodge rolls. The only rerolls I've made since this LP started was when I got a 'six' for Gamma's Random Ace role.

I believe it, it's just pretty damned lucky for Our Heroes to not already have a cored Cyclops :ohdear:

\/\/\/\/ Arrogance. It's just a pathetic little tank piddling around while they posture.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 31, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
I have to wonder why the clanners haven't vapourized the tank. It was a valid target from the start and now it's running around blasting dueling mechs.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

WarLocke posted:

He moved 5, I can get into short range if I run. So something like a 8 to-hit. Not the best chances, but still the best choice I have I think.

You could stand still, too. Still need 8s, you can use your LRMs, and maybe he won't gently caress you up with the SRMs. Keeps your options open a little more.

PoptartsNinja posted:

But you do know they're 65 tons, and one of them's a 6/9/? which may help you narrow down what it could be.

You can get a Crossbow to 6/9 just by making the engine an Extralight, and nothing changes. If you throw in FerrEndo, you get a bit more pod space, too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Xmas Future posted:

I have to wonder why the clanners haven't vapourized the tank. It was a valid target from the start and now it's running around blasting dueling mechs.

Actually, I think the fact that the IS pilots are playing along - mostly - with the whole Honorable Combat shtick has been impressive enough to the Clanners that they've been distracted from paying attention to the tank.

I expect the conversation is running along the lines of "Hey, maybe we should blow up that ta--" "I'm impressed with these freebirths! They show spirit!" "Yeah, but what about the--" "I shall challenge them myself now!" "Guys, seriously, the t--" "Onward! To battle!"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I like how Breen trolls Leutnant Samantha Clover (Mukaikubo) for shooting into the woods.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Actually, I think the fact that the IS pilots are playing along - mostly - with the whole Honorable Combat shtick has been impressive enough to the Clanners that they've been distracted from paying attention to the tank.

I expect the conversation is running along the lines of "Hey, maybe we should blow up that ta--" "I'm impressed with these freebirths! They show spirit!" "Yeah, but what about the--" "I shall challenge them myself now!" "Guys, seriously, the t--" "Onward! To battle!"

Maybe the Clanners assume that the tank is operating on it's own, since it is "beneath" the honorable and knightly Mechwarriors. Part of the same unit, but not part of the same command. Certainly none of the Mechwarriors (as far as I can recall in the fluff blurbs) have ordered the tank to attack a target, so there's nothing there to concretely link the tank crew's actions to the Mechwarriors of the 2nd Donegal to that dishonor.

Assholish side note: Knox, you haven't just disgraced yourself in the eyes of the Clan, but also in my eyes as an uninvolved third party. One little fall off a building and you pass out. :colbert:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Bad Moon posted:

I like how Breen trolls Leutnant Samantha Clover (Mukaikubo) for shooting into the woods.

Yeah, that's hilarious. Still, the Star Commander might be able to take one or both of them out though. He does have a Bloodname after all...

Anyway, really crazy luck for the 2nd Donegal this past turn. The Battle Cobra disabled due to lucky Gyro damage? Nice. That battle is effectively finished, right?

Now all you need to do is to claim both the Battle Cobra and the Thunderchild as salvage and get Caesar Steiner to pick it up, and even if the entire Command Lance buys it, there will be some good coming out of this engagement. Would claiming Knox as a bondsman also give you access to his mech? If so, you guys should argue the point with Breen. Might buy a turn or two...

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Wow. That was beautiful luck there. Anyways, they haven't called you out on having a tank nipping around and shooting people in the back, so it's implicitly okay. Hopefully two AC/20s and a fresh Zeus can smash a 60 tonner.

What I'm afraid of is the whole "Clan Neural Implants" thing. The only Clantech neural implants I know of are EI, which would mean he has a -1 to pilotng, reduces cover/etc mods by -1, and shoots at +1 for aimed shots if he also has a TC, meaning he can basically surgically remove every part of a mech at will. Of course, alternatively it could be crazy Unbound or Manei Domini tech, the VDNI or the VRPP/DNI combination.

Let's hope it's not something as ludicrous as the Virtual Reality Piloting Pod/DNI combo which gave you like -3 to piloting, -2 to gunnery, and halved all called shot, enemy movement, and own movement mods.

I don't think it is, it's probably more akin to VDNI, which was just -1/-1 but ran the risk of frying the user from feedback, or it's EI, as mentioned above. However, the Clans don't use Manei-Domini level cyber warriors with copper wiring to reroute fear and pain, they just have nerves of steel (so they're still at risk of taking pilot hits).

If so, what you want to do is try to do as many internal hits as possible and hope for the best.

Also, the other thing is, relatively speaking the closer in you are and the less movement you can do, the better it is for the guy with a lower gunnery score. If you're firing on 12s and the other guy's firing on 11s, he's getting four times the mileage out of equivalent guns to you. If you're firing on 6s and he's firing on 5s, though, that lowers to a much more reasonable number. A pile of SSRMs might be dangerous but your armor's still mostly fresh from what I'm seeing outside of one arm (with no real guns on it), so it's probably worth it to soak that risk.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

WarLocke posted:

It's called a Nova because that's what happens if it actually fires all of its weapons at once. :downsgun:
The Nova's also a smaller OmniMech version of this melter of faces, which happens to be the size of G4.

• Locked thread