Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

And ironically, Australian wildlife tends to die in droves when confronted with vicious eurasian animals such as bunnies or kittens.

Also cyclone Yasi hosed up some Cassowary's. The state government was doing helicopter food drops to the birds for a while.

tobu has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Mar 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Aren't white tigers only produced by selective inbreeding?

Johnny Digital
Apr 29, 2008

Houdini posted:

These look like a yearbook from the scariest school ever

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

Johnny Digital posted:

These look like a yearbook from the scariest school ever

Maths club
Debate club
Voted most likely to maul either Siegfried or Roy

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

angryhampster posted:

Aren't white tigers only produced by selective inbreeding?

They can occur naturally...

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Trainmonk posted:

They can occur naturally...

This is correct. The inbreeding is due to the fact that it is a recessive gene and zoos really wanted white tigers. This lead to a horrible breeding program that turned out several white tigers with downs syndrome.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is correct. The inbreeding is due to the fact that it is a recessive gene and zoos really wanted white tigers. This lead to a horrible breeding program that turned out several white tigers with downs syndrome.

He likes Cheetos, Pokemon, and tiger-free tigresses.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Aw. He needs hugs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Raimundus posted:

This is the most bizarrely adorable thing.

Selective inbreeding is super hosed up. Apparently it happens all the time in cat and dog breeding; I'm told many purebred animals have at least a little bit of inbreeding in their ancestry. I know it's supposedly this whole accepted part of animal breeding but it still bothers the hell out of me. That poor snaggletoothed tiger :(

Angry Diplomat has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Mar 28, 2011

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Atticus_1354 posted:

That part in the bear's fur on it's chest makes it look like it had open heart surgery or something.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

The Downfall posted:

MAVERICK! :argh:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pimp my prosthetic leg.

Comedy Jew
May 30, 2003
i managed to have my account for 3 full years before getting banned.
You've been beaten two pages ago.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Beaten with a prosthetic leg...how embarrassing.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is the most bizarrely adorable thing.

Selective inbreeding is super hosed up. Apparently it happens all the time in cat and dog breeding; I'm told many purebred animals have at least a little bit of inbreeding in their ancestry. I know it's supposedly this whole accepted part of animal breeding but it still bothers the hell out of me. That poor snaggletoothed tiger :(

The idea behind inbreeding is to "fix" or "Hold" a desired trait. It is rarely done today by ethical animal breeders, but was common in the days before genetics were well understood.

Of course, idiots who don't give a drat about animals health don't care what they do. Unfortunately the people who try to breed their animals carefully are lumped in with the morons.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Now I could be wrong here, but I think I heard somewhere that these dudes are part of some controversial sect of some religion where the powder they use to cover themselves is actually made of human bones. Which would make the picture doubly bad rear end, but I'm not sure if it's true. I think the practice, if it ever actually existed if I'm remembering correctly, has had to adjust their rituals in recent years.

The Taped Crusader
Nov 22, 2008

Waverhouse posted:

Now I could be wrong here, but I think I heard somewhere that these dudes are part of some controversial sect of some religion where the powder they use to cover themselves is actually made of human bones. Which would make the picture doubly bad rear end, but I'm not sure if it's true. I think the practice, if it ever actually existed if I'm remembering correctly, has had to adjust their rituals in recent years.

Pretty sure he's a Sadhu. They smoke cannabis and hashish to honor Shiva. The white stuff is ash, and I think it's specifically from ritual fires.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Waverhouse posted:

The TGD thread I stole the picture from seemed to think he was an Aghori, another Hindu sect, who live on burial grounds, eat dead human bodies, paint themselves with ash made from cremated bodies, and also ritually smoke opiates.

gently caress. Yeah.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

605-475-6968 has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Mar 29, 2011

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

The Downfall posted:

I've got a friend who's been living in Kuwait for a while and she experienced her first big sandstorm earlier this week. She was trapped in the gym for a few hours until it blew over, then went home to discover that she'd left a window open and absolutely everything in her house was coated in brown dust.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

I've got a friend who's been living in Kuwait for a while and she experienced her first big sandstorm earlier this week. She was trapped in the gym for a few hours until it blew over, then went home to discover that she'd left a window open and absolutely everything in her house was coated in brown dust.

Aww, that has to really suck.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Alain Robert climbes big buildings without safety gears.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
He actually just recently climbed that gently caress off big building in Dubai but he did it with a harness.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Jibo posted:

He actually just recently climbed that gently caress off big building in Dubai but he did it with a harness.

Yeah that's how I got the inspiration.

I can only imagine what it must feel like to hang so high by those loving grooves.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Namarrgon posted:

Yeah that's how I got the inspiration.

I can only imagine what it must feel like to hang so high by those loving grooves.

I believe for a normal human the answer would be "terrifying."

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

The Downfall posted:

Aww, that has to really suck.

This is because panthers and jaguars are the same species, just with recessive colouring, right? Like the white tigers? Either way, that is one beautiful cat :3:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Namarrgon posted:

It's already badass. Then you find out that he had a falling injury 20ish years ago and now suffers from permanent vertigo.

And he still free-climbs huge things.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

I saw this guy on MSN today oddly enough.

Now, this is one bad-rear end ant.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

madlilnerd posted:

This is because panthers and jaguars are the same species, just with recessive colouring, right? Like the white tigers? Either way, that is one beautiful cat :3:

"Panther" is just a generic name for a big cat(Actually it normally only refers to either Jaguars, Leopards or sometimes Cougars). Big cats are of the genus Panthera (Jaguar is Panthera Onca, leopard is Pardus) so it probably stems from that.

I was really into Big Cats when I was a little kid. However I never learned about melanistic coloring until that picture popped up.

quote:

Melanism is the result of a dominant allele and remains relatively rare in jaguars.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

The Downfall posted:

Now, this is one bad-rear end ant.

Hopefully it's also a careful ant, the whole dew drop scenario can go terribly wrong if they make the wrong move:

Moot1234
Jul 2, 2008

Ridiculously long lasting flavor.
Holy crap! So if the ant isn't careful it can just push through the surface tension of the drop and it basically engulfs him?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What, you never saw Antz?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Did anyone?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How dare you.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Did anyone?

Well, yeah sadly I did.

In my defense though, I was young and didn't know any better...

CONTENT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

w00tmonger posted:

Well, yeah sadly I did.

In my defense though, I was young and didn't know any better...

CONTENT!

drat they must have done a lot of takes.

• Locked thread