Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

hooah posted:

Facebook seems to have gotten rid of the "Photos" link in the left pane. Is this true for anyone else, and if it is, where do I now go to see my friends' latest photo uploads?

You mean in the newsfeed? For me it shows up if I click on 'More' in the left pane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

elbow posted:

You mean in the newsfeed? For me it shows up if I click on 'More' in the left pane.

Yeah, it's not even under there anymore. I made sure to turn off Greasemonkey and refresh the page, too, just in case.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elijya posted:

It's supposed to be a fat faced, glasses wearing goon looking person, and is usually used when someone is indicating they think something is particularly goon-ey (anything particularly creepy, nerdy, or obsessive). You'll notice it comes with a little dash, so you can put it below a quote of someone.

Also has it's own SAclopedia entry: http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2180

I'll be damned. I thought it was a bus or something.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

hooah posted:

Yeah, it's not even under there anymore. I made sure to turn off Greasemonkey and refresh the page, too, just in case.

Is there a 'see hidden' under there? If so then you can turn it on from there, if not then I'm stumped.

However you can still see recently uploaded photos in your newsfeed, if you click on the arrow next to Most Recent and choose photos.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

elbow posted:

Is there a 'see hidden' under there? If so then you can turn it on from there, if not then I'm stumped.

However you can still see recently uploaded photos in your newsfeed, if you click on the arrow next to Most Recent and choose photos.

There is a see hidden, but photos isn't in there, even. The second solution does work, but is at least twice as many clicks as before, perhaps thrice.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
:goonsay: I originally thought it was supposed to be the Southpark characters or something. Like, there's one on the right looking right raising his left hand, and there's a disinterested one on the left, and they're all fat little children...

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
I always thought it looked a lot like moleman from the simpsons.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It should look like this:

or
code:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Taken in Greenland or Iceland. Which bird could it be? Thanks in advance.

That is almost undoubtedly a Common Redpoll; they're pretty common here in Ontario. I didn't realize they were in Iceland and Greenland, too!

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

It should look like this:

or
code:

Its much easier to see the goon face in the second one, I always thought the first one was trying to be a bus, as well.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I am looking for an iPhone app that is a calendar that my husband and I can both be connected to. If it could alert him when I add an event that would be awesome.

Wasn't there a cell phone subforum at one point?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Randomity posted:

I am looking for an iPhone app that is a calendar that my husband and I can both be connected to. If it could alert him when I add an event that would be awesome.

Wasn't there a cell phone subforum at one point?

It and a few other forums were merged into Inspect Your Gadgets. That's where cell phone threads live now.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
one of my lab TAs this semester is a young Indian woman. A couple days ago she had a small black line in between her brows (where a bindi would be). Is there any significance or is it decorative, or what?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

I can't imagine wanting to carry the spare key in my pocket at all times. Try one of those magnetic key boxes that can mount in the wheel well.

The new keys are thicker because unlike old keys, they often have a microchip the communicates with the car to allow it to start. The security controls are frequently mounted in the key because factory-installed security systems are far more common now and the chipped keys need to be thicker anyway, so you might as well combine the two.

You can cut a copy of the key, but it won't let the car start; it will, however, open the door and be small enough to carry in your wallet. Once you're in the car, shut off the alarm with your real key. I'm not aware of any car that wouldn't let you get in the door with a generic, non-chipped key, but I'd obviously try it out before you're in a real bind.

Sorry, meant to respond sooner to this.

The manual specifically says not to store the key in a holder that uses a magnet or keep it around stuff that generates a magnetic field (e.g. a cell phone). Is that really anything to worry about or just CYA on Nissan's part?

I did happen to have my keys in the same pocket with my phone the other day for a bit and haven't noticed the key has any problems (I usually keep my keys in one pocket by themselves so they don't get jumbled up with other stuff).

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

change my name posted:

Reading writing sculpting drawing masturbating working out working a second job minecraft trainspotting crossword puzzles logic puzzles learning a new language

I don't get how anyone could every actually be bored

How about this one?

What can I do:

1. at night
2. that doesn't involve eating or drinking
3. with a significant other of the opposite sex

Aside from movie/play/TV/concert/bowling/sexing, I can't think of anything. Especially that can be done last minute.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fatty Patty posted:

one of my lab TAs this semester is a young Indian woman. A couple days ago she had a small black line in between her brows (where a bindi would be). Is there any significance or is it decorative, or what?

Was it on Ash Wednesday? Maybe she's Catholic.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Is there anyway to know what is about to be built right across the street from my apartment building? They just started clearing the trees and making pathways in the dirt for the trucks, so its literally a two day old construction site.

I know oftentimes the construction company will put up a sign that indicates what it will be in the future, but they haven't done this. There's also no address associated with it that I can find.

e: Answered my own question by looking at my county's auditor site. So apparently its owned by my apartment company - except its called "Reserve at [my apartment building] LLC" and the address is 0000000 [my street]. Does that most likely mean that they bought the land when they bought the land my current building is on? Looks like they're expanding. How great.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 31, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

RaoulDuke12 posted:

How about this one?

What can I do:

1. at night

Aside from movie/play/TV/concert/bowling/sexing, I can't think of anything. Especially that can be done last minute.

Origami, drawing, cards, board games.

Skip-bo and cribbage are great.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Encryptic posted:

Sorry, meant to respond sooner to this.

The manual specifically says not to store the key in a holder that uses a magnet or keep it around stuff that generates a magnetic field (e.g. a cell phone). Is that really anything to worry about or just CYA on Nissan's part?

I did happen to have my keys in the same pocket with my phone the other day for a bit and haven't noticed the key has any problems (I usually keep my keys in one pocket by themselves so they don't get jumbled up with other stuff).

That I can't answer. My instinct is that it's a CYA issue, but I'm not familiar enough with how "chipped" keys work to say for certain. I'd seriously recommend my second suggestion - it costs maybe $5 max to cut a non-chipped key, and if it opens the door then you've solved your problem.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

RaoulDuke12 posted:

How about this one?

What can I do:

1. at night

What's wrong with bowling, TV, movies, plays, and sexing?

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

stubblyhead posted:

Was it on Ash Wednesday? Maybe she's Catholic.

nope, it was this past Monday.

whitebrice
Nov 26, 2007

Do you know of any shops where sailors might go?
Does anyone remember a front page article about how American students may or may not be falling behind Chinese ones? I think Geist Editor wrote it, and I think it's about a year old, but I'm not positive on either.

I've tried using SA's search to find it, and I've tried using google and filtering through somethingawful.com but either way I've had no luck.

If anyone can provide me with a link, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's relevant to a discussion I'm having at the moment.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

RaoulDuke12 posted:

How about this one?

What can I do:

1. at night

Origami

Learn a musical instrument (this could be a guitar or keyboard or decks or just cut and paste poo poo together on your computer)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Eyeball posted:

What's wrong with bowling, TV, movies, plays, and sexing?

They get boring after a while (aside from the sexing. That doesn't take up all night generally though). At some point you've seen everything that's out, there's nothing on TV, etc.

There's gotta be something else out there to do. Besides loving board games and origami. Jesus. I'm trying to think of things that involve leaving the apartment.

And learning a musical instrument with another person is definitely not fun, especially when you already know how to play one. Not the best teacher, this guy here.

Maybe I just have a short attention span. I dunno. I'm the kind of person that doesn't listen to an album more than 3-4 times or watch a movie more than 2 times, so maybe it's just me.

This is becoming a not so small question, though I suppose it is stupid, so I'll probably cease discussion after this post.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

RaoulDuke12 posted:

They get boring after a while (aside from the sexing. That doesn't take up all night generally though). At some point you've seen everything that's out, there's nothing on TV, etc.

There's gotta be something else out there to do. Besides loving board games and origami. Jesus. I'm trying to think of things that involve leaving the apartment.

And learning a musical instrument with another person is definitely not fun, especially when you already know how to play one. Not the best teacher, this guy here.

Maybe I just have a short attention span. I dunno. I'm the kind of person that doesn't listen to an album more than 3-4 times or watch a movie more than 2 times, so maybe it's just me.

This is becoming a not so small question, though I suppose it is stupid, so I'll probably cease discussion after this post.

Go for a walk or a bike ride.

Are there any live music venues near you (not a concert, a bar with local bands)?

Swimming or any other sport - its getting lighter on an evening, take up tennis or if you don't like the outdoors, badminton.

Is there a local government site or similar that lists activities happening around the place you live? Just get out and explore, go find something to do.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

That I can't answer. My instinct is that it's a CYA issue, but I'm not familiar enough with how "chipped" keys work to say for certain. I'd seriously recommend my second suggestion - it costs maybe $5 max to cut a non-chipped key, and if it opens the door then you've solved your problem.

I'll definitely do that. Thankfully the car does actually have a lock in the driver's side door so hopefully a non-chipped key will work.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Encryptic, just call or stop by your local Nissan dealership and ask them about it. They should be able to tell you which locks, if any, require a special key, and which you can open with a regular key.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm the kind of person that doesn't listen to an album more than 3-4 times...

I was not aware that there was a kind of person like that. But there's still all kinds of stuff to do. Golf (regular or putt-putt), hiking, strip clubs, going to see live music, dancing classes, art classes, classes on anything you both have a mutual interest in, shooting, or just driving around aimlessly. Also, you can get drunk and/or high, either just to party, or in combination with any other activity on that list except driving around. People will say you shouldn't get hosed up and play with guns, but Hunter S. Thompson would say go for it. You like Hunter S. Thompson, right? He wouldn't steer you wrong.

Or check out sites like groupon.com and livingsocial.com. You can get half-price coupons to do things it never would have occurred to you to do, or to go to restaurants you never would have gone to.

Raoul Duke would get hosed up and drive around and shoot at poo poo that may or may not actually be there. I don't advocate driving under the influence, though, and you don't really need to leave your yard or apartment or whatever to get drunk and shoot guns.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Have you tried sitting in a chair and finding fault with every single thing ever?

Seriously though, you need to find something that really truly interests you and you alone and let your partner figure out what they like. It's not uncommon for 2 people in a relationship to be totally into completely different things. If you both meet halfway on something that's just OK for both of you then neither of you are really happy.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I find that when we're sitting and we're a little bored, playing Rock Band is always a fun distraction. But definitely, find out if there's stuff going on in your city. If you're in a big city you have absolutely no excuse, and in my situation, here in Iowa, we pretty much go to everything that accidentally wanders into the state. There's not always something interesting going on every night, but now that winter's over, we can at least go for a nice walk together, or bike ride.

Or, hell, just spice up the sexing. Who says it doesn't have to last long? Get some sexy dice and fuzzy handcuffs and before you know it you've lost a couple of hours.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jump in the car and drive to nowhere in particular. Go to the next town or two over and eat at a local diner. Experience the local community, even if the town has only six houses, a general store and a gas station. It's a lot cheaper than you think, and it leaves a lasting impression on you.

Also, second the cooking hobby. You learn a useful trait, and you get mad sex from it. You can't lose.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

You Are A Elf posted:

Jump in the car and drive to nowhere in particular. Go to the next town or two over and eat at a local diner. Experience the local community, even if the town has only six houses, a general store and a gas station. It's a lot cheaper than you think, and it leaves a lasting impression on you.

Also, second the cooking hobby. You learn a useful trait, and you get mad sex from it. You can't lose.

This is actually a great idea. Both of them, but the first in particular. One day we, on a whim, decided to just head out on highway 30 and go til we saw something interesting, and ended up in Mount Vernon, Iowa. There was a weird antique mall inside an old elementary school; a famous diner (Lincoln Cafe); some neat stores; and a scale model of the solar system (thanks to the local college) which we had no clue existed that took up the entire length of the town. We then hung out in a playground on the swingset. It was a perfect afternoon.

This idea is actually less useful if you're in a big city, since you have to go pretty far to find something with a non-suburban character. But in the case of a big city, there's plenty of poo poo to do anyway, so you don't need to escape as much.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

You Are A Elf posted:

Ok, nice knowing you all. *drives to Camden*

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

RaoulDuke12 posted:

My boyfriend and I are boring people who don't like sunshine and we have a lot of fun just sitting and talking or watching internet tv or top gear or playing games or sometimes i cook and he "helps" or we bother the cats or we do my laundry and amazingly it's not actually that tedious because we like each other and having each other's company is the important part. Right now he is trying to teach me to play minecraft.

Take up rock climbing or roller skating or going to museums or going on historic train rides or to zoos or walking around in the woods and counting cool rocks or read a book together or have a picnic or go on a bike ride or do all of these things once in a while instead of one of them all the time. I have no attention span either (I don't even buy albums because I do not give a gently caress) and yet somehow my life is not terrible!

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Does anyone know what that website where you put in word and it makes a cool domain name for you is called? like if you put in 'delicious' you'd get 'del.icio.us' or something

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Get some markers and white tshirts and have "knife fights"

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
If you were in a customer service position or were on the phone to CS between 8pm and Midnight, how would you expect to be greeted? It's no longer the evening, and good night is something you say when you go to bed...

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

gwar3k1 posted:

If you were in a customer service position or were on the phone to CS between 8pm and Midnight, how would you expect to be greeted? It's no longer the evening, and good night is something you say when you go to bed...
How is between 8 and 12 not "evening"?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Elijya posted:

Um... "good evening"?

But its not the evening that late. Would you expect to call some one at 11pm and be greeted "with Good Evening"? It just sounds odd to me, but I probably would say it too. There must be a more appropriate greeting?

Because night is 8pm onwards, evening is 5 - 8ish and afternoon is 12 - 5. Or it is in my mind.

E: I'm probably overthinking it. Evening is fine.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 31, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
You're overthinking it. But I suppose you could skip the greeting part altogether and just say, "Thank you for calling BS CS, my name is Fred, how may I help you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
My friend's Mac laptop has a ludicrously shiny screen. Is there some kind of plastic sheet or something I can buy to stick on it so it's not so shiny? I'm envisaging some sort of sticky-backed plastic sheet that mattifies, but I can't seem to find one.