Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

bhsman posted:

Where are you guys getting the Oyumaru/Instamold stuff? Assuming they're the same thing. :ohdear:

I got mine at coolminiornot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have seen it on both Ebay and Etsy.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Sculpture aisle at my local Dick Blick.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Someone go to Adepticon and buy me this, tia.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fyrbrand posted:

I would totally do an entire 40k army like this if I had the money/time

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

Fyrbrand posted:

wat is this? I want some

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's a show-exclusive Forgeworld Marine in Mk3 (maybe Mk2) Siege Armor. One of the newer IA books has rules for siege-armored marines that are kind of cool. But I just want it because I'm a huge nerd for marines with hammers. Also it's a pretty cool sculpt.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
My fist attempt at mini painting.

I think I went heavy with the flesh wash. I wish there was more of a difference in the colors, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I tried drybrushing some lighter pigments onto the underbellies, and it worked a little.

Tips and suggestions are welcome! I have a bunch more beasties to paint in this style, and anything to make the future ones look better would be appreciated.

Also, I'm curious what color cloaks/armor would go good with this color scheme. I haven't painted any infantry yet (terrified of painting tiny things), and I didn't decide on a color at all.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 31, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KingMob posted:

Cross-postin' some Trolls.

Literally the Core Marksman Rifle, with more wood. :v:

Googling Core Marksman Rifle results in a very high quality sketch of Megatron from Transformers, transforming into a Core Marksman Rifle. People have too much time on their hands.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
This may not be the right thread, but I have an obscure bits request to make. Does anyone have a left leg for a 3rd edition Lelith Hesperax? I recently came into possession of one, and for some reason the left leg (which I could have sworn it had) is now missing, after a Simple Green bath. Somehow, I am an idiot newbie ham and didn't notice the missing leg until I was almost done scrubbing the rest of the paint off of it.

Also, stupid new-to-mini-painting question: Does Simple Green break down glue? Because one of the arms popped off during the scrubbing as well... EDIT: Figured this one out myself. I'm stupid for not knowing this.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 31, 2011

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yes, simple green will help loosen glue as well as paint. I am not positive that it actually does this any better than just soaking in water/cleaner, but it does make a difference. Note this doesn't apply to plastic glue, so don't get your hopes up.

If you think that you accidentally scrubbed off the leg, check the u-bend in your sink.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

pw pw pw posted:

Oh? When did it come out? I feel like the aesthetic was pretty well developed as far back as WC2.

Warcraft's art direction is a blatant copy of the pre-6th edition WHFB style, which is only natural because Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was originally a Warhammer RTS pitch that Blizzard mocked up to show to GW.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Ashcans posted:

Yes, simple green will help loosen glue as well as paint. I am not positive that it actually does this any better than just soaking in water/cleaner, but it does make a difference. Note this doesn't apply to plastic glue, so don't get your hopes up.

If you think that you accidentally scrubbed off the leg, check the u-bend in your sink.

I checked and got nothing :(

This is why I can't have nice things, haha. This is my first time doing anything like Warhammer seriously, and all my stuff (save one box of the new Dark Eldar Hellions) is used, but that Lelith was going to be my pride and joy, haha. Any idea where I can get the missing bit I need?

EDIT: Too whiny just because I lost a bit of a metal space barbie.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 31, 2011

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
So I got all my infantry assembled and ready to undercoat. I decided to paint under the base so that I can tell at a glance which model goes in which squad when I'm setting them up. Wouldn't want duplicate poses in the same unit, obviously.

OCD is when you have to give the paint under the base a second layer because the orange squad was a little streaky.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cross-postin'

I hate taking pics of minis. Also this sculpt is really not very good. But hey at least I have him done now. Maybe someday I'll even do my Vulkan, heh.

Edit for NecSchmec: I used this guide for the marble. I think that dude missed a step or something because there's definitely some blue in there which I should have done as well.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 31, 2011

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Thank you sir. I was JUST about to move my post here when I saw this. I was gonna say, what the heck, he left out whatever blue he used. These GW articles never give all the details.

The hammer looks awesome. Definitely more in depth than my Deneb stone with Devlin wash. I highlight again with the deneb, but it definitely didn't come out as nice as this. How many hours did you put into him?

Simpo
May 1, 2008
Cross posting from the oath thread for criticism:

Warboss

Wip of the squig:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
That hat is amazing.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Seriously. I don't know how we're supposed to compete against hats like that.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NecronSchmecron posted:

Thank you sir. I was JUST about to move my post here when I saw this. I was gonna say, what the heck, he left out whatever blue he used. These GW articles never give all the details.

The hammer looks awesome. Definitely more in depth than my Deneb stone with Devlin wash. I highlight again with the deneb, but it definitely didn't come out as nice as this. How many hours did you put into him?

Thanks dude. I'm trying not to think about how many hours I put in, really. I paint super slow and I also had to correct several silly decisions I made. (At one point he had an orange-scaled cloak :wtf: was I thinking?)

Simpo: That ork is pretty great. I don't have specific suggestions other than to maybe change the base rim color. Obv I have a nerd boner for black base rims, but I think a graveyard earth kind of color could work there as well.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Inverse Icarus posted:

Tips and suggestions are welcome! I have a bunch more beasties to paint in this style, and anything to make the future ones look better would be appreciated.

If you find your wash to be too dark, just highlight back over the washed areas with your base color to make it pop again. There's more than a few tutorials on the mainpage for simple highlighting, and along with shading, highlighting is one of those basic tools that you will need for the rest of your painting career; start now, become a master! :eng101:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

edit;

Seriously. Hat is amazing. I need to come up with a hat solution when I make my freebootaz.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Simpo posted:

Warboss

Wip of the squig:

The squigpig is adorable and I want one

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

edit;

Seriously. Hat is amazing. I need to come up with a hat solution when I make my freebootaz.

the hat is just a plasticard disc, with a plasticard ring on top, softened, with putty rammed in the middle, it was really easy to make.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What do you mean, "softened?"

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Fix posted:

What do you mean, "softened?"

heat it up a bit so you can bend it and it will retain the shape you bent it into. I hear hair dryers work well, but it just ran it under the hot tap for a bit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hot Water: the lowest of tech.

Put a hot water line in your toolbox today!

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Simpo posted:

Wip of the squig:

Pigsquig owns.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Simpo posted:

Warboss

The hat aside, what is your technique for painting rust? I love the job on the PK.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Crosspostin'

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Love the vibrancy of the hive tyrant, great job

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Congratulations, you've found a colour scheme that hurts to look at.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

spacegoat posted:

Crosspostin'

Like I said, brown > bone base will probably set the dude off. Awesome work dude.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Wasn't someone looking for shotguns?

http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=291&zenid=d9bbe2f97d82f758c0353fc502b2d21b

I've ordered stuff from them before and didn't have any major complaints except for a couple of air bubbles and one broken bit.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Cross posting all up in this business. Have been out of the painting side of the hobby for a gazillion years now so this is my 1st fully painted unit/any painting done for quite some time. I'm really happy with how the bases came out, if any of you guys have been in Aus and had the displeasure of dealing with crazy clay soil it looks just like this when it rains and the top soil has been eroded away.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Took me a long while to get around to doing it, but I finished building my Jump Pack Canoness today

In one hand she's reading from Ecclesiarchal texts, in the other she has an inferno pistol. The servo skull is carrying her blessed weapon.

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 31, 2011

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Took me a long while to get around to doing it, but I finished building my Jump Pack Canoness today

In one hand she's reading from the Sororitas codices, in the other she has an inferno pistol. The servo skull is carrying her blessed weapon.

TBP: breaking the 4th wall :psyduck:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

The Blue Pyramid posted:

In one hand she's reading from the Sororitas codices, in the other she has an inferno pistol. The servo skull is carrying her blessed weapon.

"What do you mean the Blessed Weapon is two-handed and I don't get an extra attack for the pistol?!"

"... oh, there it is, I guess you're right."

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

I shouldn't have used the word 'codices'. Guess a moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Someone should really sculpt a Guardsmen studying the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer. Possibly doodling in that space that says 'Must be left blank on penalty of death'

• Locked thread