Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this the type of book that will cause you to just forever hate Star Wars or will it give you an even greater appreciation of it?

You mean there's a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this the type of book that will cause you to just forever hate Star Wars or will it give you an even greater appreciation of it?

You'll get more annoyed at George Lucas saying that the story now is how it's always been, but you'll probably get an even greater appreciation for all the work that went into making it, and for the goal Lucas originally had. You might start getting kind of angry when you get to the chapters about the prequels, but for the most part I'd say greater appreciation for Star Wars, maybe angry at Lucas.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I liken it to learning that the Teabaggers were funded by a pair of Kochs. Slightly angry, but finding the whole thing hilarious and absurd.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Fox of Stone posted:

I liken it to learning that the Teabaggers were funded by a pair of Kochs. Slightly angry, but finding the whole thing hilarious and absurd.

Star Wars was not improved by the introduction of George's third-grade-level politics, I don't think this thread will be any different.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Captain von Trapp posted:

Star Wars was not improved by the introduction of George's third-grade-level politics, I don't think this thread will be any different.
Oh please. Without the vote of no confidence scenes we'd have had 20 more minutes of Jar-Jar.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Fox of Stone posted:

Oh please. Without the vote of no confidence scenes we'd have had 20 more minutes of Jar-Jar.

Those were unintentionally great: "If only senator Amidala were here..." *makes puppy-dog face at Jar-Jar, laugh track plays*

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Those were unintentionally great: "If only senator Amidala were here..." *makes puppy-dog face at Jar-Jar, laugh track plays*

I love how he does the exact opposite of what Padme obviously would have wanted.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how he does the exact opposite of what Padme obviously would have wanted.

Yeah, she probably didn't give him any more important jobs after that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I want to see what happened when she found out Jar-Jar did it in her stead despite the fact that he'd been hanging with her the past 10(?) years at that point.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

I want to see what happened when she found out Jar-Jar did it in her stead despite the fact that he'd been hanging with her the past 10(?) years at that point.

It's a common misconception that she died from a broken heart, it was really the erasure of 10 years of work and principles by a retarded amphibian.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Pope Mobile posted:

"I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war." *whips concealed handgun from armrest, shoots people*

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

"I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war." *whips concealed handgun from armrest, shoots people*

Nah it was the decoy who said that.

I think.

poo poo I still can't figured that all out.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

She shot robots, not people. That's completely different.

She did however convince a less technologically advanced society to throw their lives away on her behalf in a futile battle...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nah it was the decoy who said that.

I think.

poo poo I still can't figured that all out.

Seriously, when did she decide to use the decoy? Was it before the opening scroll? After the Trade Federation landed? gently caress!

I laugh every time the Viceroy says "AHH! VICKTOWY!"

quote:

She did however convince a less technologically advanced society to throw their lives away on her behalf in a futile battle...

No you see because the Naboo and Gungans form a symbiant circle and what happens to one of them will affect the other surely you must understa-:downsgun:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Bene Elim posted:

Robots that felt fear and pain.

I think that's the most galling thing for me about the prequels - the idea that somewhere along the line, a robot designer decided to make battle droids capable of making wisecracks and getting nervous or scared.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bene Elim posted:

Hard choices must be made in war. They could have also invaded that Naboo city and gotten a lot of gungans killed that way but the end result would have been the same.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Slantedfloors posted:

I think that's the most galling thing for me about the prequels - the idea that somewhere along the line, a robot designer decided to make battle droids capable of making wisecracks and getting nervous or scared.

I have a theory these battle droids were actually designed for comedy slapstick but they cheaped out and threw in some basic laser rifle operating software and sold them in bulk.

"Yeah they can battle, they got guns see?"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slantedfloors posted:

Well, if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Pope Mobile posted:

Well, if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?

Now that's just silfunction file_upload_error_message($error_code) {
switch ($error_code) {
case UPLOAD_ERR_INI_SIZE:
return 'The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini';
case UPLOAD_ERR_FORM_SIZE:
return 'The uploaded file exceeds the MAX_FILE_SIZE directive that was specified in the HTML form';
case UPLOAD_ERR_PARTIAL:
return 'The uploaded file was only partially uploaded';
case UPLOAD_ERR_NO_FILE:
return 'No file was uploaded';
case UPLOAD_ERR_NO_TMP_DIR:
return 'Missing a temporary folder';
case UPLOAD_ERR_CANT_WRITE:
return 'Failed to write file to disk';
case UPLOAD_ERR_EXTENSION:
return 'File upload stopped by extension';
default:
return 'Unknown upload error';
}
} $error_message = file_upload_error_message($_FILES['file']['error']);

Roger roger. That's just silly.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I just won a $50 Amazon gift card, and I want to put it towards a nice Star Wars book. Not a EU fiction book, but more of a "behind the scenes" coffee table book.

I've been looking at The Complete SW Encyclopedia: http://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Star-Wars%C2%AE-Encyclopedia/dp/0345477634/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301490958&sr=1-3

Or the Making of Empire: http://www.amazon.ca/Making-Star-Wars-Empire-Strikes/dp/0345509617/ref=sr_1_22?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301491230&sr=1-22

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on alternatives? I'm pretty open to anything, I'm big into Star Wars but haven't really sprung the money to buy any nice books.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 30, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If it's between those, I would say Making of ESB. I've flipped through it and it looks really interesting and comprehensive, whereas literally everything everything in the Complete Encyclopedia can be found on Wookieepedia (and in much more depth).

Also if you're actually going to have it on a coffee table, I think Making of ESB would be a better conversation started than a listing of everything from the EU. Not to mention the Complete Encyclopedia is three volumes so that would be harder to have fit in on a tabletop.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It didn't make sense that all of the battle droids could talk. R2 is basically a toolbox on wheels so he doesn't need to be able to talk. The regular battle droids should have been the same. Have the yellow ones be able to talk to Gunray/Grevious/whatever but have the regular ones make an ominous mechanical buzz or just silent. Maybe that would marginally up the Killing Machine vibe? Nah.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Silver Brushes posted:

It didn't make sense that all of the battle droids could talk. R2 is basically a toolbox on wheels so he doesn't need to be able to talk. The regular battle droids should have been the same. Have the yellow ones be able to talk to Gunray/Grevious/whatever but have the regular ones make an ominous mechanical buzz or just silent. Maybe that would marginally up the Killing Machine vibe? Nah.

A better solution would be to just make the Super-Battle Droids (I hate that name) the standard. Those things were more imposing than the regular ones and seemed to be marginally better at their jobs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Slantedfloors posted:

A better solution would be to just make the Super-Battle Droids (I hate that name) the standard. Those things were more imposing than the regular ones and seemed to be marginally better at their jobs.

On the other hand, Robocop 2.

The real standard should be the droidekas.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 30, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The making of star wars or making of empire strikes back are amazing journalistic history books that really give you the details of making movies, particularly these star wars movies. If you want a true coffee table book, I suggest Star Wars Visions Revealed. It's a bunch of amazing art done by modern artists on the subject of star wars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Slantedfloors posted:

No you see, we can't have that because it would be too scary for the children. And Star Wars is for children, therefore antagonistic forces can't be too intimidating,

:suicide:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Grendels Dad posted:

:suicide:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

arioch posted:

The real standard should be the droidekas.
ED-209, and the loving stairs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mister Roboto posted:

Any way to get this in a larger size? I think I want to make some stickers out of it. :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

GET DRUNK ON BLUE MILK, FIND LIGHTSABER.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I bought X-Wing: Alliance on a whim, then I realized I don't even own a joystick :bravo:

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
If you ever get it working:

http://www.darksaber.pnma.co.uk/craftpackucp.html + http://www.xwaupgrade.com/ to update the graphics.

http://www.darksaber.pnma.co.uk/craftpacktftc2.html For Missions 1 - 7 of the Tie Fighter TC (Need the Tie Fighter disc for sounds and stuff, but its pretty cheap.)

http://www.maxgames.it/xwc/ For Missions 8 - 13 of Tie Fighter and X-Wing TC (I've not played the X-wing TC so can't comment on quality.)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Looks like Wookiepedia is closing for good. I don't know if I'm happy about this or ecstatic.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Looks like Wookiepedia is closing for good. I don't know if I'm happy about this or ecstatic.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

How ecstatic do you get every year at around this time?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

arioch posted:

:doh: nevermind. Move along. Move along.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lucasfilm would never close Wookieepedia mainly because every employee there uses it as a research resource over Lucasfilm's own in-house continuity guides. I know there have been times before when the StarWars.com databank entries were literally just copied and pasted from Wookieepedia articles.

Also when character research stuff on computers in The Clone Wars show, some of it is just the Wookieepedia article but "translated" into Aurebesh, which I actually think is kind of a neat little wink for them to include.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Does this happen every year or something?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TheBigBad posted:

Does this happen every year or something?

Well, it's not every year that Wookieepedia goes 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

arioch posted:

Also why would you be "ecstatic"? At worst wookiepedia is harmless at best it's an amusing diversion.