Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

n3wt posted:

Hi!
TL;DR - I'd like to know if there are any laws in the states (specifically PA) about how many dogs you can own and at what frequency.

I had a friend, now an ex-friend, who was also a client (same hobby, same business - I sold her custom made goods sold via internet) and she's always been a bit of a character: she does pretty much everything compulsively, has little understanding of her effects on others and has a massive ego combined with zero sensitivity.
Last month she flaked out on me, once again, for a big sum of money and kept asking for delays claiming health expenses and all sorts of iffy sounding excuses so I did a quick google search on her username, nothing too deep...

Turns out she's a shopaholic and uses people for freebies, haggles with bogus sob stories whenever she can - but here's my real problem:
I found out that she's "hoarding" dogs.
On her sales posts, she claims that all money goes to a good cause: rescue dogs.
Said rescue dogs are actually her *own 3 dogs* who just happen to be adopted from the local humane society and a no kill shelter nearby.
The money from her sales doesn't go towards anything specific like vet bills or food, it goes into her bank account which she happens to also use to pay for dog related expenses. As you can guess, most of her spending is not on dogs but on her "collections". This is minor fraud but there again, not really my problem.

She's fostering these dogs *outside* of any humane society - She is not a registered, monitored dog fosterer - and is not using any of appropriate services for proper adoption such as Petfinder.
She basically adopts dogs out from the humane society then finds new owners for them herself and when she doesn't find an owner she likes, she keeps the dog.

She's often said she wants to run her own shelter later in life and has indicated that she has to fight the urge to keep all the dogs that come through her house.

I asked about local dog refuges that she'd been hinting she was working for, then googled them. She'd got the names slightly wrong, she would know the proper names of these groups if she was an actual volunteer or member. Her foster dogs would also be on Petfinder if she was working with them as they use that service to list all available pets including ones being fostered/socialized/retrained.

She is a single young woman, student with a part time job with a precarious housing situation (has needed to move once and almost move another time in the past year) who currently has 3 dogs to care for and rotates another 1-2 dogs as foster dogs (as far as I can tell, every month or so). She adopts them from the two shelters close by, then finds suitable owners herself. This is someone who has serious trouble balancing finances, a short attention span and a tendancy to collect massively. I feel from the way she's talked, that she enjoys the novelty of a new dog without the commitment and somehow feels the local shelters aren't selective enough about who they adopt out to. I've tried to talk with her but she's very single minded and believes she can do no wrong. This is all borderline fraud, borderline legal activity so is there anything that can be done?
Just 18 months ago she was collecting exotic pets: iguanas, lizards and snakes and now they are all gone.
I'm concerned about the dogs. Is there a limit to how many dogs a person can own without a special licence? Is there a limit to how many dogs you can have in a quick time span?

Thankyou for reading!

I think this might be a PI poster. Meow cadet has you on the right track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

Depends on your city and county codes. For instance, my county code limits 4 dogs/cats per household, but my city's codes are stronger at 3 dogs/cats per household, unless you have a kennel license.

Try googling [city/county] municipal animal codes or ordinances.

Thankyou for the advice everyone!
I've googled the local dogs laws and her town allows 6 dogs per household.
Legally she's above board but with her pets, as with her other actions, it seems she's always barely on the right side of the legal line.
I'm hesitant to contact the humane society since I only know this woman online and our emails are private. I have no proof the dogs are being abused, only that they are being cycled out quickly like they might in a foster home but without being monitored in any official capacity. Technically she's in the clear as there aren't laws to prevent people treating animals like commodities. It's all disturbing but I figure we can't act until she crosses some sort of legal line.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Does anyone have tips for how to get a dog to eat more? One of our new dogs is having trouble maintaining his weight. He was a little thin when we found him, and he's certainly not gaining weight.

The problem is that he doesn't eat enough. He eats very slowly, taking just a bite or two then wandering around or getting a drink of water. He also won't eat very much in a single meal. We have 4 other dogs so we can't just leave the food out. They have no problem chowing down their own meals and then moving on to his, and two of them are quite fat already. Separating him is not an option as he gets nervous and won't eat at all.

I've tried putting gravy over his food but it didn't seem to help after the first couple of meals. He had a very thorough vet exam at the end of February, including blood tests and a dental exam, so I'm pretty sure it's not a medical problem.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?

n3wt posted:

Thankyou for the advice everyone!
I've googled the local dogs laws and her town allows 6 dogs per household.
Legally she's above board but with her pets, as with her other actions, it seems she's always barely on the right side of the legal line.
I'm hesitant to contact the humane society since I only know this woman online and our emails are private. I have no proof the dogs are being abused, only that they are being cycled out quickly like they might in a foster home but without being monitored in any official capacity. Technically she's in the clear as there aren't laws to prevent people treating animals like commodities. It's all disturbing but I figure we can't act until she crosses some sort of legal line.

You say she got some from a no-kill; most places I've worked with will make you sign paperwork that says you care for the animal or you bring it back. If she's given the dogs to non-screened people, the rescue can press charges and seize the animals.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
How can I keep my female cats from fighting? Or more specifically, how can I keep one female from sneaking up on and terrorizing the other female? Or chasing her off from wherever she is? My Tabitha is horrible to my Charlotte. I thought they were going to be OK when I moved them into my new place, they didn't seem to mind each other (they stayed pretty separated at my parents house) but now that Tabitha seems settled in, she can't get enough of wailing on Charlotte. Poor Charlotte is on the fridge too scared to come down to eat or use the box. I'm up 3 times a night with Tabitha on the fridge terrorizing Charlotte even after she's gone to hide. Tabitha hides and sleeps during the day, so I don't think she's bothered then because whenever I come home for lunch Henry and Charlotte are playing and cuddling. But I want my poor baby to feel safe in her new house and she doesn't. She keeps looking at me from the fridge with this sad "why mommy you and I used to be friends" look and it kills me. Especially is she's being deprived of food/potty. My vet recommended a Feliway to keep everyone calm and I thought it was working, but not so much.

How do I enact an armistice?

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 26, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

2tomorrow posted:

Does anyone have tips for how to get a dog to eat more?

Maybe you could baby-gate the other dogs in an adjoining room with one of the mesh gates, so they can all see each other but no one can get to his food while he eats?

Otherwise I would suggest finding some kind of really calorie-dense treat to give. Even a different flavor of kibble from his normal one might work. Just treat him all day long, here and there.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Geolicious posted:

How can I keep my female cats from fighting? Or more specifically, how can I keep one female from sneaking up on and terrorizing the other female? Or chasing her off from wherever she is? My Tabitha is horrible to my Charlotte. I thought they were going to be OK when I moved them into my new place, they didn't seem to mind each other (they stayed pretty separated at my parents house) but now that Tabitha seems settled in, she can't get enough of wailing on Charlotte. Poor Charlotte is on the fridge too scared to come down to eat or use the box. I'm up 3 times a night with Tabitha on the fridge terrorizing Charlotte even after she's gone to hide. Tabitha hides and sleeps during the day, so I don't think she's bothered then because whenever I come home for lunch Henry and Charlotte are playing and cuddling. But I want my poor baby to feel safe in her new house and she doesn't. She keeps looking at me from the fridge with this sad "why mommy you and I used to be friends" look and it kills me. Especially is she's being deprived of food/potty. My vet recommended a Feliway to keep everyone calm and I thought it was working, but not so much.

How do I enact an armistice?

We're having a cat fight problem over here too, so I hope people have some suggestions. It's not just the girl cats though, it's one girl cat (Angel) flat-out attacking either one of the other two any time she sees them. It's bad. Spooky & Lestat just live upstairs now, which isn't horrible -- we spend a fair amount of time up there with them, they have a litter box in the bathroom and food in my room, and the second floor is about as big as our previous apartment we had them both in. But it's not ideal, I miss them down here, and there are still fights because Angel just can't leave well enough alone and keeps going upstairs looking for trouble (and their food). We tried bringing Lestat & Spooky downstairs for some supervised interaction, and that went absolutely horrible. As soon as she sees them she rushes at them and full-on attacks. She attacked Lestat while I was holding him and bit him so badly he got an abscess that I had to take him to the e-vet for.

Angel's only been here since late January and it was never good between them but it has progessively gotten worse. Initially it was just a lot of growling and hissing but no actual fights. That was expected, but now they literally can not be in the same room.

I really don't know what to do about this, I don't want to get rid of Angel but lately I am seriously considering it. I would feel awful about it, I feel like if I took her to a shelter I would basically be condemning her to death. She's an incredibly sweet cat with people, but it is just not working out with my other cats, and I don't see how they can ever manage to get used to each other if they can't even be around each other without someone getting mauled.

Oh, & we have Feliway plugins upstairs and down, and they don't seem to have made any difference whatsoever.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Fortunately, Tabitha has not hurt Charlotte. She is content with intimidation and chasing... for now. I certainly cannot get rid of Tabby because a) I love her and b) she is Henry's sister and they have been together since always and are as close as can be. And I can't send her back to my parents because I don't have the money and again, I do not want to separate her from Henry.

I thought perhaps they'd do better here. My parents have way too many cats and there's always competition for attention. I thought here, with just me and the three, there wouldn't be much infighting. In fact, I am very surprised Henry and Charlotte have made friends, but glad of it. I just need to find a way to break Tabby of her Queen Bee mind set.

Tabitha is a Manx. Maybe she's jealous of Charlotte's overly ample tail?

fake edit: Tabitha is in her daily hiding right now, so Charlotte is running all over and playing, so at least she isn't being holed up 24-7. But I know she misses being my bed buddy. But if I shut the other two out at night and keep Charlotte in, they throw unholy tantrums.

And people wonder why I don't want kids!

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare
Any UK (or any!) dog goons have experience with custom built dog guards and dividers? I have a cross-country move coming up, and I'd like Radar to a) have more room than his current slant-roofed crate allows, and b) still protect him from falling luggage.

The car in question is a Mazda 5 with the back seats filled with preschoolers. I am in the market for another large, idiotic dog come 2012-ish, hence the divider seems to suit. Link to the site I've been drooling over: http://www.travall.co.uk/accessories/mazda/mazda/5-2005-2010

God, I wish they made these things here.
So: dog nuts, have you spent the moolah on custom or semi-custom dog guards/barriers? Was it worth it? Will it make me britcool by association?

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

RazorBunny posted:

Maybe you could baby-gate the other dogs in an adjoining room with one of the mesh gates, so they can all see each other but no one can get to his food while he eats?

Otherwise I would suggest finding some kind of really calorie-dense treat to give. Even a different flavor of kibble from his normal one might work. Just treat him all day long, here and there.

Those are really good ideas, especially the baby gate one. This is why I love PI, you guys always give me suggestions that are so simple yet useful. :3: We're going into town in the next day or two and will see if we can't pick up a baby gate then. We'd previously shut him in the master bedroom (where he sleeps and we thought he'd be comfortable) with me (his main buddy, he doesn't care for my husband or the ranch hands much--he's friendly enough, but he's a bit obsessed with me) reading a book on the bed or some such. We already learned that I can't move around much while he's eating or he'll stop in order to pay attention to me, but apparently he needs to eat with both me and the other dogs in the room to be truly comfortable.

I do treat him very often as he is still getting a lot of training. The big difficulty is managing him when he's around the other dogs. Most don't care much about the kibble, while George definitely does, but we have two others who are obsessed with even the tiniest morsel of food(we have a total of 6 dogs at the moment, we get a lot of dogs dumped here and do emergency fosters for both a breed rescue and the local shelter which is amazingly both no-kill and has no county/town funding, but we're not doing fosters for a little while unless it's a "THERE IS NOWHERE FOR THIS DOG TO GO!!!" situation). This then makes the other dogs get interested because they think they'll be getting something good and it turns into a clusterfuck.

We separate George for two 5-30 minute sessions a day (depending on his concentration level, it usually averages 10-15 minutes) so he gets treats then, but we're also trying to run a working ranch and do all the dog stuff. 3 of the other dogs are our own established cow dogs but the other 2 also need more work. edit: he is still getting ongoing training throughout the day and treats as appropriate, he has graduated to being loose in non-stressful situations but is still leashed up to me for part of most days when the trained dogs are working or other very interesting activities are happening. I just can't treat excessively due to the other dogs.

I'm really hoping that he relaxes more. He really hasn't been here very long and I think dumped dogs (as he was, we saw the owners drive about halfway up our driveway and then kick him out) take awhile to trust again--he is obviously really attached to me but I think he is not really secure here yet.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 28, 2011

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Is it common for littermates to be really different sizes? My wife and I adopted Violet about 7 weeks ago and by coincidence, one of my wife's friends adopted Violet's brother, Dexter, from the shelter at the same time. They were pretty much the same size at the time. My wife was talking to her friend on Facebook yesterday and he told her that Dexter is up to 22 lbs. Meanwhile, Violet is at 13 lbs. It just seems odd to me that there would be such a size difference so quickly.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

PurpleJesus posted:

Is it common for littermates to be really different sizes? My wife and I adopted Violet about 7 weeks ago and by coincidence, one of my wife's friends adopted Violet's brother, Dexter, from the shelter at the same time. They were pretty much the same size at the time. My wife was talking to her friend on Facebook yesterday and he told her that Dexter is up to 22 lbs. Meanwhile, Violet is at 13 lbs. It just seems odd to me that there would be such a size difference so quickly.

Kittens from the same litter can have different dads, which accounts for a great degree of variation within some litters. Also what the hell are they feeding that cat? My cat is full grown and he only weighs about 11 pounds.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
are tie out stakes safe? We have a small backyard area that we want to start using for grilling/entertaining. Unfortunately our small backyard connects with our other neighbors' yard, so Jack can't just run around. In addition, when he got out the back before, he crawled under a chainlink fence and got away for a couple minutes. If we get a nice tie out stake, will it work to keep him from running away? (he's 35-40 lbs)

Here is a small crappy diagram of our backyard since it sounds kinda confusing. Brown is wooden fence and the gray on the left is the chainlink he can get under.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Serella posted:

Kittens from the same litter can have different dads, which accounts for a great degree of variation within some litters. Also what the hell are they feeding that cat? My cat is full grown and he only weighs about 11 pounds.

I think they are dogs :ssh:

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Fatty Patty posted:

are tie out stakes safe?

I'm pretty sure that the universal consensus on tie out lines is a big fat no. Can't you just get a gate to close off access to your neighbor's yard?

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

Serella posted:

One of my parent's cats weighs 10 pounds, the other a whopping 18 lbs 3 oz. He is often overfed because they don't keep track of who feeds the cats when. The monster has gotten trapped in neighbor's garages seeking out food, while the other cat eats a little bit from her dish every few hours.

My mom finally bought some decent food instead of Whiskas and he has not been inhaling his food quite so quickly, and the little cat will snub the old kibble and try to steal from the other dish.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Emasculatrix posted:

I'm pretty sure that the universal consensus on tie out lines is a big fat no. Can't you just get a gate to close off access to your neighbor's yard?

that's what I wanted to do originally, but it's a pretty large space across. Baby gates won't work (not tall enough and probably not long enough), and I don't know where I can just get a small gate door like that.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
you could rig one together. chicken wire, and some boards in a rectangle shape. attach them to the fence with gate hinged, viola. and if it's ugly, you could make one you could take off when you aren't in need of it.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

ToastFaceKillah posted:

you could rig one together. chicken wire, and some boards in a rectangle shape. attach them to the fence with gate hinged, viola. and if it's ugly, you could make one you could take off when you aren't in need of it.

I would really like some info on how to do this if you can. I have PMs. I need something I can open or take off easily or my landlord will be pissed he can't mow our grass.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PurpleJesus posted:

That is a large size difference, however there are many factors that could come to play...

If I remember right, weren't you the one (rather, Violet) who had the diarrhea? It could be that during the time she didn't get the utmost of nutrients (and was using energy fighting off whatever caused that malady), and thus not the highest growth potential at the time.

Also, are their body conditions the same? If Violet's a svelt 4/9 on the scale, with Dexter tipping it at 9/9, then Dexter's bigger because they're fat, not because they're actually 'bigger.'

Third, it is possible it's a case of 'who's your daddy?!' and Violet and Dexter only have the same mother. It's possible with dogs (usually more common with cats) to have multiple fathers to one litter.

Finally, it's possible that Violet could be on the short end of the growth stick. Was she the runt? Was she just small at that time? Were they the same size at adoption?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

rivals posted:

Yeah, they're dogs. Forgot to mention that part.

HelloSailorSign posted:

If I remember right, weren't you the one (rather, Violet) who had the diarrhea? It could be that during the time she didn't get the utmost of nutrients (and was using energy fighting off whatever caused that malady), and thus not the highest growth potential at the time.

Also, are their body conditions the same? If Violet's a svelt 4/9 on the scale, with Dexter tipping it at 9/9, then Dexter's bigger because they're fat, not because they're actually 'bigger.'

Third, it is possible it's a case of 'who's your daddy?!' and Violet and Dexter only have the same mother. It's possible with dogs (usually more common with cats) to have multiple fathers to one litter.

Finally, it's possible that Violet could be on the short end of the growth stick. Was she the runt? Was she just small at that time? Were they the same size at adoption?

Yeah, that was me. I haven't seen Dexter but according to my vet, Violet is in great shape weight-wise. I also had no idea that dogs in the same litter could have different dads! That's a neat little fact. They were around the same size at adoption, if anything Violet was a little bigger, but not by much. I'm not freaking out about it or anything, my dog is happy and healthy, I just thought it was interesting that they would be so far apart in weight. I'll have to see if my wife can get a picture of Dexter so I can see if he's a big fatty or not.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

rivals posted:

Dogs can be whores too! Also durp :downs:

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I'm moving to a different city this week, and on Friday morning I need to move our cat. We're stuck going by train - it's about a 2 hour trip. The thing is, he's never had to be in a carrier before. Any tips on making it easier for him/helping him relax?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Carbon Thief posted:

I'm moving to a different city this week, and on Friday morning I need to move our cat. We're stuck going by train - it's about a 2 hour trip. The thing is, he's never had to be in a carrier before. Any tips on making it easier for him/helping him relax?

The only thing I can think of is to keep it dark, with a towel or blanket thrown over top of the carrier. Sometimes we think an animal would like to see what's going on around them, but really, they'll feel more secure in the dark. You could also ask your vet about sedatives, but many cats will 'freak out' as they loose control on the sedative, so it often does more harm than good.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Carbon Thief posted:

Put out the carrier now, with the door off or securely propped open. Let him get used to laying in it now.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Fatty Patty posted:

I would really like some info on how to do this if you can. I have PMs. I need something I can open or take off easily or my landlord will be pissed he can't mow our grass.

It's really easy, just frame a square/rectangle with appropriate support (usually a diagonal 2x4 or an X-shaped support) in the middle for stability. Often you don't even really need that. Then attach with door hinges. Easy peasy, we've done it to confine dogs, goats, sheep, and poultry.

If the only fenceposts are like T-posts or whatever you might need to sink a wood post (so you can attach hinges) right next to it or something. We usually use railroad ties or heavy wooden fenceposts as corner or gate posts, so it has been simple to attach hinges. Still, it isn't that hard to modify a T post setup.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My boyfriend and I will be getting an apartment soon and I know he's been itching to get a dog for years. I'm trying to come up with some breeds to look at but I'm rusty. We'll be getting a shelter mix most likely so breed standards won't be set in stone but it'd be a nice starting place. We want:

-~30-40lbs due to size restrictions and we don't like tiny dogs
-No restricted breeds because I don't want to fight that headache
-Not noisy, due to having neighbors (no scenthounds or watchdog breeds)
-Able to go off leash in the park next to the complex (no sighthounds)
-Not terribly intelligent/energetic since it's a small unit (no herding)
-We prefer shedding over combs and haircuts, but it's not a huge deal.

I guess that leaves toys, but I'm having trouble coming up with some bigger toy breeds. Maybe something like a dachshund/lab mix :laffo:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

drat Bananas posted:

My boyfriend and I will be getting an apartment soon and I know he's been itching to get a dog for years. I'm trying to come up with some breeds to look at but I'm rusty. We'll be getting a shelter mix most likely so breed standards won't be set in stone but it'd be a nice starting place. We want:

-~30-40lbs due to size restrictions and we don't like tiny dogs
-No restricted breeds because I don't want to fight that headache
-Not noisy, due to having neighbors (no scenthounds or watchdog breeds)
-Able to go off leash in the park next to the complex (no sighthounds)
-Not terribly intelligent/energetic since it's a small unit (no herding)
-We prefer shedding over combs and haircuts, but it's not a huge deal.

I guess that leaves toys, but I'm having trouble coming up with some bigger toy breeds. Maybe something like a dachshund/lab mix :laffo:

Maybe something along the lines of a Cavalier? It depends on your preferences, but I've only ever had positive experiences with the breed. They're very mellow, but a trainer at my school has two and does Comp OB, Rally, etc with them. Maybe some other spanielly type of dog.

Also, FYI, Dachshunds are barky, and Labs are OMGENERGY.

Edit: I also have a HUGE hard on for Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. They come in two varieties: decent couch potatoes, and OMG ENERGY. The best agility/OB dog I know is a super drivey Toller -- you'll probably want to avoid the latter variety. But they're really awesome, and I would love to have one some day.

a life less fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 31, 2011

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

a life less posted:

Maybe something along the lines of a Cavalier? It depends on your preferences, but I've only ever had positive experiences with the breed. They're very mellow, but a trainer at my school has two and does Comp OB, Rally, etc with them. Maybe some other spanielly type of dog.

Also, FYI, Dachshunds are barky, and Labs are OMGENERGY.

Edit: I also have a HUGE hard on for Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. They come in two varieties: decent couch potatoes, and OMG ENERGY. The best agility/OB dog I know is a super drivey Toller -- you'll probably want to avoid the latter variety. But they're really awesome, and I would love to have one some day.

Can't believe I forgot about spaniels! I don't have any first hand experience with them but that's what I'll be researching for the next couple hours I guess. And I dunno how common NSDTRs are to pop up in local shelters? Ha.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is a weird question I'm hoping someone can answer:

Why do cats love army clothes/gear?

I'm doing spring cleaning and I pulled out a bunch of stuff from our storage under our stairs and our cats are ALL OVER my husbands old duffel bags and army clothes. They were like this when he was actually in the reserves. When he'd do his one weekend a month, the cats were always all over his clothes. They act almost like they're coated in catnip or something.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Alterian posted:

I'm doing spring cleaning and I pulled out a bunch of stuff from our storage under our stairs and our cats are ALL OVER my husbands old duffel bags and army clothes. They were like this when he was actually in the reserves. When he'd do his one weekend a month, the cats were always all over his clothes. They act almost like they're coated in catnip or something.

Also they probably just ~wuv~ him and like how he smells. :)

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I've heard lots of stuff on both sides about whether or not to use a laser pointer with dogs. My dachshund Oscar recently has been waking up really early (and thus waking me up really early) and I'm worried it's because he hasn't been worn out before going to sleep and sleeping too much during the day.

I take him on walks a few times a day (I live in a high rise, not very fun) and he plays with other dogs when he gets the chance and I take him to the dog park whenever possible but for about a week before I learned it was possibly dangerous I would let him play with the light. He absolutely loves it and will never stop chasing it, which is great exercise for him. I'm worried though that he will develop one of the problems. I haven't done it in a while but I'm getting desperate since I can't live on like 5-6 hours of sleep a night.

So, is it safe? If it's a maybe, how do I know if a problem is developing and how do I stop that?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

gobboboy posted:

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I've heard lots of stuff on both sides about whether or not to use a laser pointer with dogs. My dachshund Oscar recently has been waking up really early (and thus waking me up really early) and I'm worried it's because he hasn't been worn out before going to sleep and sleeping too much during the day.

I take him on walks a few times a day (I live in a high rise, not very fun) and he plays with other dogs when he gets the chance and I take him to the dog park whenever possible but for about a week before I learned it was possibly dangerous I would let him play with the light. He absolutely loves it and will never stop chasing it, which is great exercise for him. I'm worried though that he will develop one of the problems. I haven't done it in a while but I'm getting desperate since I can't live on like 5-6 hours of sleep a night.

So, is it safe? If it's a maybe, how do I know if a problem is developing and how do I stop that?

If your dog was a herding breed I'd caution against ever using a laser with them. But, with a Dachshund the possibility of OCD behaviour is significantly lower. I would say use it carefully. If he starts searching for the light when you're not playing, or obsessing over other lights and shadows you need to stop using it ASAP. Make sure he knows when it's game time, and when the game is over.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Cool. Whenever I put it away he would look around for like 5 seconds but if I drew his attention to something else quickly he would stop looking around for it until I brought the pointer out again.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Alterian posted:

1.) Its not something they see regularly (why cats always are fascinated by suitcases)
2.) They probably smell ~*~exotic~*~

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend a good fur clipper for a long-haired cat? I tried to use one from the store (Wahl brand for people-hair) but it just doesn't trim the fur at all. We have a long-haired Persian cat with super-soft, thin fur.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

melon cat posted:

Can anyone recommend a good fur clipper for a long-haired cat? I tried to use one from the store (Wahl brand for people-hair) but it just doesn't trim the fur at all. We have a long-haired Persian cat with super-soft, thin fur.

I would caution against any kind of home clipping unless you are an experienced groomer. Cats have extremely thin skin and it is very easy to accidentally cut them when clipping.

Flossie
Nov 8, 2008
I recently joined a charity here in the UK that offers the elderly and infirm help taking care of their pets. A lot of the assistance is dog walking for elderly people who love their dogs but are no longer fit and able to walk them for themselves.

Tomorrow is my first dog walking assignment. I've been told I'll be taking Nala, a four year old staffie for a walk and that she hates other dogs.

I'd love some advice as I'm quite nervous. We never had dogs when growing up, and I've never owned one myself but I have experience of walking my brother's dogs (2 labradors in case it's relevant). Does anyone have any advice on walking dogs who are nervous of other dogs? And is there anything I should know about the staffie breed in particular? Thanks in advance.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Best advice is just avoid walking past other dogs. If you see someone walking a dog in your direction, either cross the street or turn around. If someone has an unleashed dog coming towards you, just inform them that your dog is NOT friendly and they need to move their dog away. If a random humanless dog is coming towards you, either try to walk away, or place yourself between them I guess. Someone else probably has better advice for that situation.
Try not to freak out, just be calm and keep walking with the dog no matter what. It'll be looking to you for some guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

Flossie posted:

I recently joined a charity here in the UK that offers the elderly and infirm help taking care of their pets. A lot of the assistance is dog walking for elderly people who love their dogs but are no longer fit and able to walk them for themselves.

Tomorrow is my first dog walking assignment. I've been told I'll be taking Nala, a four year old staffie for a walk and that she hates other dogs.

I'd love some advice as I'm quite nervous. We never had dogs when growing up, and I've never owned one myself but I have experience of walking my brother's dogs (2 labradors in case it's relevant). Does anyone have any advice on walking dogs who are nervous of other dogs? And is there anything I should know about the staffie breed in particular? Thanks in advance.

I can't say on the staffie part, but my dog's leash reactive/aggressive with other dogs while on walks (we're still working on it). But what I tend to do is as soon as I see another dog being walked, I'll cross the street or maybe turn and take a different route if possible, especially if the dog is off leash (a big problem in my neighborhood). If that's impossible where I'm at, I keep treats on me at all times while walking, and I'll make my dog sit/do tricks and stuff his face with treats while the other dog/owner pass by. Usually this distracts my dog enough that he'll ignore the other dogs.

Since this isn't your dog, though, you can't be sure just HOW aggressive/reactive he is, and some dogs are too distracted by other dogs that treats won't work, particularly the first time around. I would almost just suggest going somewhere where you're pretty sure you won't run into any/many dogs, and if you do, just try to avoid them as much as possible. I'll even turn around and simply walk back and then walk somewhere different if I see a dog I know Ike doesn't like. The biggest thing I've found though is just act calm and collected. If you see a dog and start freaking out, the dog you're walking will start freaking out regardless of if he even sees the dog or not. So, to sum up, I'd bring a bunch of really yummy treats (like cheese or hot dogs), and stuff his face when dogs walk by, and usually that'll help distract him, and I'd take him/her somewhere fairly secluded just in case the treats don't work.

Question for me - I picked up jogging recently, and I've kinda started taking Ike with. My friends worry, though, that it might be too much of a strain on him? (One of my friends actually had a dog die due to heat stroke after taking the dog hiking with him, :( so he's extra paranoid about it, and from hearing his story, I am too now.) I'm worried, particularly since it's getting warmer out, about how much exercise is too much for Ike? He's a 4yo beagle, and I give him a 40min-1hr long walk every day (which is perfect for his energy levels so far), and he seemed fine with that last summer. I'd be taking him jogging for about 30min-40min instead of just the walk, and I'd probably do it in the early morning to avoid the heat (it gets 90-100F here in the summer, but the early morning will still be mid 80'sF usually). Should there be any reason for me to worry? Also, the route we tend to take is 25% grass, 75% cement, will jogging on that hurt his joints/paws at all? Should I try to find more vegetation, or is cement okay as long as he doesn't have any joint problems? Will he possibly develop joint problems in the future from it? Thanks. I'm a complete noob at jogging and doing any exercise with my dog beside walks and playing.

moechae fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 1, 2011