Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sockser posted:

According to Girl Daffy's profile, she looks kinda like a goth and Daffy is dating her because he "loves a project" so I imagine she's a bit more 'alternative' than Daffy/Bugs/Lola

I feel retarded writing this holy poo poo.

:stare:

I've been mainly skimming the loony toons chat so I guess I might just be missing the joke but there isn't actually a thing that seriously says "she looks kinda like a goth and Daffy is dating her because he "loves a project"" right?

Please tell me that that doesn't really exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I had it backwards.

quote:

Tina is Daffy's tough, street-smart girlfriend. She works at Copy Place, and she's attracted to Daffy because she "loves a project."

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Cartoon Network's upfront press release referred to Tina as "Daffy's new no-nonsense girlfriend." I assume it makes sense that his girlfriend is the exact opposite of him- level-headed. And since Bugs is also a level-headed individual, his girlfriend is a ditz: "[Lola is] charming, cute and unpredictable. She has the same kind of chaotic energy that Daffy brings to the show—very much like a screwball comedy." (Tony Cervone to Animation Magazine)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I much prefer scheming Daffy to lunatic Daffy. Looks like this one is going to be more of the former with a dash of the latter, maybe?

Any time I read the words "street smart" I roll my eyes because I can see it being a completely formulaic character.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Martytoof posted:

Any time I read the words "street smart" I roll my eyes because I can see it being a completely formulaic character.

I thought street smart and I figured that maybe she'll have an inner-city new york accent or something and use bizzare slang.

Also what streets does she need to be smart about? There's like one and it goes into a culdisac. Like is she smart enough to make a left turn instead of a right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Street smart is code for she's going to either be Poochie or constantly sarcastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If this thing is even only a quarter as good as Animaniacs or Tiny Toons it'll still be pretty good. I've loved these characters since I was very tiny. It's very hard to make me dislike them. Even the often reviled Loonatics had some charm once you got past the absurdity of the premise and the drastic change in tone.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mobo85 posted:

Cartoon Network's upfront press release referred to Tina as "Daffy's new no-nonsense girlfriend." I assume it makes sense that his girlfriend is the exact opposite of him- level-headed. And since Bugs is also a level-headed individual, his girlfriend is a ditz: "[Lola is] charming, cute and unpredictable. She has the same kind of chaotic energy that Daffy brings to the show—very much like a screwball comedy." (Tony Cervone to Animation Magazine)

I watched the little preview clip on Lola's page on the official website, and she's way different than she was in Space Jam. Very ditzy, and combined with her voice it's almost like she's every Kristen Wiig character ever, only a bunny.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Was going through my TV folder this morning and I started watching a show that I have not watched in years, Mummies Alive. The show's animation is pretty amazing considering when it was made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vhpk7DhZM

Shame it got canceled. On another note, the complete series of ReBoot is being realeased in a boxset. Just ordered my set.

http://rebootrevival.com/?p=649

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The problem with having female main characters in looney tunes is that the show tends to be averse towards abusing them to the extent that the Daffy or Bugs could get knocked around, exploded and flattened. Any curtailing of the violence inherent to looney tunes is a negative choice as far as I'm concerned.

That's why Olive Oil is the best female cartoon character.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Neo Helbeast posted:

Was going through my TV folder this morning and I started watching a show that I have not watched in years, Mummies Alive. The show's animation is pretty amazing considering when it was made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vhpk7DhZM

Shame it got canceled. On another note, the complete series of ReBoot is being realeased in a boxset. Just ordered my set.

http://rebootrevival.com/?p=649

You made me look up some of my favorite childhood shows. Can't find Sherlock Holmes In The 22nd Century anywhere, but Roughnecks:Starship Troopers Chronicles is officially up on youtube.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

And speaking of Daffy, do more people prefer the crazy WOO HOO HOO A HOO HOO Daffy or the manipulative always-trying-one-up-bugs Daffy? Because I personally love the latter way more. The Duck Season/Rabbit Season cartoons were some of the funniest ever in my opinion.
I like both, but the cartoons with the crazy version were more consistently good. I can't really think of any bad ones, and it didn't matter who was directing. The scheming, egotistical Daffy was really a Chuck Jones creation, and Chuck was the only director who did that characterization justice. Friz Freleng and Bob McKimson just turned him into an unlikable jerk, especially in those dreadful Daffy/Speedy cartoons that were inescapable if you ever watched Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon back in the day.

Based on the few previews I've seen, the new Daffy looks to be a decent mix of self-absorbed and unhinged. I get the sense he's more stuck in his own little world and oblivious than an outright jerk. He may prove to be more of an annoyance to Bugs than the other way around in this iteration.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks the Daffy + Porky pairing is the best Looney Tunes team-up? I don't think there's ever been a bad cartoon with that pairing.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Strange Matter posted:

The problem with having female main characters in looney tunes is that the show tends to be averse towards abusing them to the extent that the Daffy or Bugs could get knocked around, exploded and flattened. Any curtailing of the violence inherent to looney tunes is a negative choice as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, there's a female equivelent to 3 characters. They could easily do it in much the same way the male counterparts preform the random acts of violence.

Allthough I think Lola is willfully ditzy in a manipulative manner. It certainly came off that way in the lady bugs short.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
With the new looney tune show, my only question is why does it have to be looney tune characters? What about it requires it to be the original characters then some made up new ones?

I saw one of the clips and it was alright (the basketball clip), but nothing about it really said to me that this is totally a situation that Bugs and Daffy would find themselves in. You could have thrown anyone in it and it would be the same effect.

I guess its a dumb question, but it just seems weird.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Because Looney Tunes has a built in audience just because its Looney Tunes. It certainly wouldn't be getting this much pre-airing discussion if it was a totally new IP.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Because Looney Tunes has a built in audience just because its Looney Tunes. It certainly wouldn't be getting this much pre-airing discussion if it was a totally new IP.

I guess thats it, it just seems really cheap. But on the other hand, the built in audience, I'm assuming, has certain expectations about Looney Tunes does so seeing them in a setting like this is weird.

My dad is a huge fan of Looney Tunes, constantly goes on how they don't make shows like that anymore. If I showed him this, he would just go "What the gently caress is this poo poo?"

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I hate to cross referrence but, I'm selling the complete series of Justice League in this Thread on SA Mart. Somebody may be interested in it who doesn't visit there often.

Also, would this be the right place to talk about Power Rangers? 'Cause this new season is soooooooooo terrible.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So the new Thundercats trailer is awesome:
http://www.thundercats.ws/news/thundercats-cartoon-news-3/thundercats-2011-wondercon-trailer-released-96/

It deinfetly looks like they're gonna do what the Masters of the Universe 20XX show did and do a reboot, but build upon the exisiting lore and make a co-herant story with continuity. However stylisticly it looks like Avatar The Last Airbender, it's got a similar feel to it.

Panthro looks like Jet from cowboy bebop though, he has the exact same haircut and chops.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Magnus Condomus posted:

You made me look up some of my favorite childhood shows. Can't find Sherlock Holmes In The 22nd Century anywhere, but Roughnecks:Starship Troopers Chronicles is officially up on youtube.
drat you Sony for never finishing it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vaerai Archon posted:

So the new Thundercats trailer is awesome:
http://www.thundercats.ws/news/thundercats-cartoon-news-3/thundercats-2011-wondercon-trailer-released-96/

It deinfetly looks like they're gonna do what the Masters of the Universe 20XX show did and do a reboot, but build upon the exisiting lore and make a co-herant story with continuity. However stylisticly it looks like Avatar The Last Airbender, it's got a similar feel to it.

Panthro looks like Jet from cowboy bebop though, he has the exact same haircut and chops.

Yeah this looks awesome. And the news from the panel bodes very well for this show. The people making it get what worked about the original and have a really good idea on how to make it better. Plus they've said it's going to be mostly on ongoing story rather than episodic. They've got the story for the first season of 26 done and have it mapped out for another season after that. Between the stuff from the panel and that trailer I'm definitely looking forward to this show.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
But where are the robot bears?

Also, the space motorcycle cop.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Concerning the new Thundercat show. There was a comment about it being too "anime" thought that was amusing since the animation house that made the original show later went on to form Studio Ghibli. Always enjoyed that factoid.

Honestly, I loved the original show, but I'm not to sure how this new one is going to be. As great at 4C stuff is usually, something seems off to me.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JammyLammy posted:

Honestly, I loved the original show, but I'm not to sure how this new one is going to be. As great at 4C stuff is usually, something seems off to me.
I think things seem off because they're introducing the stuff that came later in the original series, first.

Other than the Eye of Thunderra, the first season was mostly sci-fi driven since they crash land after their ship exploded. The Origins of Mumm-ra, the king and everything that was primarily fantasy oriented didn't come until later. Masters of the Universe did this for the 20XX show and it worked very well. They gave the history of the established characters right off the bat and created origins for characters that had a loose or multiple origins in the old continuity.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 6, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's not going to be any spaceship in this one like there was on the last one. Thundera isn't a planet. It's a group of people on Third Earth that have secluded themselves and created their own Kingdom. The season will deal with the destruction of their kingdom in the early episodes (which I'm not spoiling because it's obvious from the trailer) and how Lion-O and the other Thundercats go on after that. The series is going to be about 50/50 Fantasy and SciFi according to the creators. And most of the characters, both friend and foe, from the original series will be showing up in some for or another.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Deadpool posted:

There's not going to be any spaceship in this one like there was on the last one. Thundera isn't a planet. It's a group of people on Third Earth that have secluded themselves and created their own Kingdom. The season will deal with the destruction of their kingdom in the early episodes (which I'm not spoiling because it's obvious from the trailer) and how Lion-O and the other Thundercats go on after that. The series is going to be about 50/50 Fantasy and SciFi according to the creators. And most of the characters, both friend and foe, from the original series will be showing up in some for or another.

That sounds interesting. I just hope they get to fully implement the episodes and story arcs planned and not have the show be cut short. It might not have the established fanbase akin to Transformers or GIJoe, but I really hope it takes hold.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Vaerai Archon posted:

That sounds interesting. I just hope they get to fully implement the episodes and story arcs planned and not have the show be cut short. It might not have the established fanbase akin to Transformers or GIJoe, but I really hope it takes hold.

Look at my avatar. If someone had told me last year that one of the best animated shows on TV was MLP I'd have slapped them upside the head and called them an idiot. I was proven wrong. I don't know why but, the last few 80's reboots have been really good and while I won't say I'm not expecting a train wreck I will say I'm less apprehensive about reboots these days. On the other hand Saban's first season Power Rangers is completely terrible, so there's that. On the other other hand, they gave Cheetara some "enhancements"

tere
Oct 26, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

I thought the problem was it gave a whole new generation a furry complex?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is so ridiculous to me. There's wooden catapults at first and then they bring in some loving high tech mechs. This is like my last game of Civilization where I sieged a city with some horsemen then brought in a tank brigade :psyduck:

The show doesn't look bad or anything, but that just made me laugh out loud.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Martytoof posted:

This is so ridiculous to me. There's wooden catapults at first and then they bring in some loving high tech mechs. This is like my last game of Civilization where I sieged a city with some horsemen then brought in a tank brigade :psyduck:

The show doesn't look bad or anything, but that just made me laugh out loud.

It's Masters of the Universe logic.

Low-tech swords and sorcery vehicles use magic, high tech mechanized vehicles can't use magic but are usualy destroyed by magic.

Those were magic rocks those catapults were probably firing, or Mumm-ra is now Nicolas Cage from Lord of War and gave the Lizardmen quite a deal on refurbished Mech Warrior units.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vaerai Archon posted:

Those were magic rocks those catapults were probably firing, or Mumm-ra is now Nicolas Cage from Lord of War and gave the Lizardmen quite a deal on refurbished Mech Warrior units.

I like this idea. In fact, given Nic Cage's current career moves and tendency to overact, he could probably play Mumm-ra.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

TwoPair posted:

I like this idea. In fact, given Nic Cage's current career moves and tendency to overact, he could probably play Mumm-ra.

If this were a live action movie adaptation, he probably would. It does seem like the sort of part he enjoys taking these days. And personally, I think doing a part in full makeup a la Ron Perlman would probably be good for him; he wouldn't be able to fall back on his usual "I'm Nicholas Cage" routine.

I was never that into the original show when I was a kid, so I'm not really in a position to judge how faithful an adaptation this show is. But it certainly seems a lot better than the last two times they attempted to reboot this franchise. I mean, Yoda Snarf? Really?

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
Just saw the last episode of Sym-Bionic Titan. Its really sad that Cartoon Network didn't renew for a 2nd season. The show was better then anything they have on Adult Swim.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010
Rewatched the finale of Pepper Ann the other day. Made me really sad and reminded me how progressive that cartoon series was in terms of feminism.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any modern cartoons that are centered around somewhat regular school-aged kids like Daria, Weekenders, As Told by Ginger, etc.? I haven't been in the loop for a while.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
So, new Voltron Force reboot coming out this Summer on Nicktoons.

Whatcha think about that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

So, new Voltron Force reboot coming out this Summer on Nicktoons.

Whatcha think about that?

Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th Voltron reboot?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th Voltron reboot?

Last Reboot was Voltron The 3rd Dimension, before that you just had Vehicle Voltron and Gladiator Voltron. Both of those came out shortly after the original voltron. However Gladiator Voltron never aired in america.

Vehicle Voltron was also very stupid looking, like imagine a series of boxes with a rocket for a head, then add two more boxes for the arms, then a stupid rotor blades on the arms, finally add some SUV slippers.

It's worth tracking down Beast King Go-Lion which is Voltron but uneditied. It is more violent than Fist of the North Star, people die on screen, limbs are torn off on screen, decapitations happen in full view, people are torn in half, and even a baby explodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Vehicle Voltron was also very stupid looking, like imagine a series of boxes with a rocket for a head, then add two more boxes for the arms, then a stupid rotor blades on the arms, finally add some SUV slippers.

I know, my brother had that stupid thing when we were kids. It helps to note that there was no actual "Voltron" in Japan and that the lion and vehicle versions were two completely unrelated series.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

On the subject of older cartoons: if you've been aching for Rocko's Modern Life to come to DVD (I know I have), all you have to do is wait two more months for Season 1 to drop. I guess you could skip it if you have Netflix, since all four seasons are available for streaming, but if you want to send a message to Nickelodeon to release the rest of them, buy the DVDs.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Y-Hat posted:

On the subject of older cartoons: if you've been aching for Rocko's Modern Life to come to DVD (I know I have), all you have to do is wait two more months for Season 1 to drop. I guess you could skip it if you have Netflix, since all four seasons are available for streaming, but if you want to send a message to Nickelodeon to release the rest of them, buy the DVDs.

Will it have the uncut version of the episode "Leap Frogs"? Please say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight's episode of Batman was pretty great up until the very end where they ended up doing this ultra cop out ending. The premise of the episode is Batman getting bitten by a vampire and after slightly toying with a "Red Rain" adaptation they switch it up a bit and have Vampirebatman versus the JLI in the Satellite. The whole thing was pretty fun/funny until the very end where the whole thing turned out to be a hallucination after Batman got bitten in the very beginning of the episode. Also another sucky part was apparently they don't have Jeremy Shada as flashback Robin anymore.