Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope, I'm just giving people time to submit entries for it. Since it's a bigger contest, I'm going to give it a much bigger timeframe.
I said I'd give reading it a try, but I'm still two days away from my week off.

And if that tank manages to assist a third 'mech to an unfortunate end, I say we hand it MVP automatically. These duels sure are easy when you cheat! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Kind of a shame the Colonel didn't think faster on his feet; I wonder if he could have claimed Mechwarrior Knox as a bondsman and promptly ordered him to turn around and attack the rest of the Clanners with his remaining arm.

Ah well, opportunities lost. I gotta say, though, the tales of this battle that're sure to be told by the Clanners - no matter which side wins - are probably going to be highly complimentary, in a sneering sort of way, to the 2nd Donegal. Which leads me to wonder... doesn't that mean the Clans will start sending their best and brightest towards this corridor, in the hopes of gaining the most glory by defeating House Steiner? I wonder if a victory here might not cost more than it gains, in the long run...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I said I'd give reading it a try, but I'm still two days away from my week off.

And if that tank manages to assist a third 'mech to an unfortunate end, I say we hand it MVP automatically. These duels sure are easy when you cheat! :v:

You guys don't want the free bonus rewards swaying the fight too much, or I'll have grounds to boast about how right I was to complain! :v:

Plus, I'd vote for AC/20s, as a combined unit (IE all of them on the field) for the MVP at that point. They're completely wrecking everyone's poo poo. Just as God The Emperor Defiance Industries intended.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm actually still feeling confident that you will all be dead and gone by turn 15. Three turns, 2 dead mediums. Heavies are starting to come out and play. Two of your mechs have paper-thin armor in places.

Either way what you should do is take down the three remaining heavies of Beta Star and then challenge the star colonel, gang up on her and shoot her head off.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Two of our mechs have been challenged at the same time, but the objective is to draw out the conflict. Is it possible to counter this and say "I will fight you alone, I don't need help!"

Or is that just a horrible idea that will destroy everyone one by one :ohdear:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Kind of a shame the Colonel didn't think faster on his feet; I wonder if he could have claimed Mechwarrior Knox as a bondsman and promptly ordered him to turn around and attack the rest of the Clanners with his remaining arm.

This would be awesome. It should happen.

I can't believe the luck so far this fight, either. The players are surviving poo poo they really shouldn't be and in better shape than they should.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Man, gently caress Clan bullshit technology.

Well, that isn't Clan-exclusive. Inner Sphere ER PPCs also don't have a minimum range. Of course, IS ones still do 10 damage while the Clan model does 15.

Bad Moon posted:

I like how Breen trolls Leutnant Samantha Clover (Mukaikubo) for shooting into the woods.

I don't think it's trolling. He genuinely assumes that LT Clover is bored and venting her frustration by lighting up some trees. Would be very in-character for some more hot-headed Clanners to do that.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

WarLocke posted:

If this new heavy (sounds like a Vulture derivative?) is PPC-armed then I need to try to get into their minimum range. Which also conveniently would put me in range to use my big gun. What do you think, Muk, since he challenged both of us shall we show him what a Steiner gangbang is like?

Edit: And poo poo, Gunnery 2? This is gonna hurt.

My two qualms are that I, uh, don't have any 'efficient' moves to get into weapons range with him; that is, whatever my move is, it's going to hurt my to-hit worse than him. Still, I can get into my optimal range (6 hexes) by walking to 1814 and unleashing an alpha strike at 8 or 10 to hit. Not... great. Similarly, you can't as far as I see get a shot on him even running this turn unless you go around the east side of the lake, which you really don't want to do. I think it'd be smarter to not engage this round. Let's see if he'll come out into the open. It'll also let our Rommel get turned around and into a better position to charge with you.

Edit: If you hug the building NW and I retreat down into the buildings, if he comes after us he'll have to open himself up to a rear volley from one of us. Feel lucky enough to land a AC/20 on CTR? :v:

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 31, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So what rank is Ceasar Steiner?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Affi posted:

So what rank is Ceasar Steiner?

Hauptmann-Kommandant, which I believe is the equivalent of a major.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Oh okay, I just saw him mentioned as Colonel Steiner once in the update and he's been called major before I think. I confused everyones ranks!

So the chubby ex-colonel is Ceasar? Is he really chubby? That is hilarious.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Affi posted:

Oh okay, I just saw him mentioned as Colonel Steiner once in the update and he's been called major before I think. I confused everyones ranks!

It's understandable, since there's no direct analogue for Hauptmann-Kommandant. It's sort of a Senior Major, and it belongs to the senior battalion commander in a regiment. Kommandant is just a major.

Really, its a very Steiner way to amplify the Byzantine complexity of and add another layer of status to the officers' corps.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Affi posted:

Fat like "big fat party animal"-fat, not fat like "you disgusting fat gently caress"-fat.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Edit: If you hug the building NW and I retreat down into the buildings, if he comes after us he'll have to open himself up to a rear volley from one of us. Feel lucky enough to land a AC/20 on CTR? :v:

I think I can go around the left side of the lake and get within 2 or 3 hexes of him, but perhaps it's time to start fighting like Steiners and make him choose which of us to give free shots to?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I think I can go around the left side of the lake and get within 2 or 3 hexes of him, but perhaps it's time to start fighting like Steiners and make him choose which of us to give free shots to?

You can, but IIRC if the line between your hex and the target hex travels exactly along the edge of a hex that would give cover and a hex that wouldn't, the more advantageous hex for the defender (cover) would function as the hex you passed through. That is, 1512 wouldn't give you line of sight to B3... though I may be misremembering that particular rule and I am away from my books.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Mukaikubo posted:

You can, but IIRC if the line between your hex and the target hex travels exactly along the edge of a hex that would give cover and a hex that wouldn't, the more advantageous hex for the defender (cover) would function as the hex you passed through. That is, 1512 wouldn't give you line of sight to B3... though I may be misremembering that particular rule and I am away from my books.

Specifically, the first defender decides which side of the hex the LOS goes through, thus fixing the LOS for return fire as well.

However, buildings do not fill a hex, you just trace around the depicted building. There's LOS from 1512 to the Vulture.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

Specifically, the first defender decides which side of the hex the LOS goes through, thus fixing the LOS for return fire as well.

However, buildings do not fill a hex, you just trace around the depicted building. There's LOS from 1512 to the Vulture.

Zounds. In that case, Warlocke, we can both pony up for an alpha strike with 8 THs on our big guns or we can try to draw him in and make him show one of us his back. I am down with both ways, but if you have no preference I would marginally prefer to draw this out even at the risk of pissing our new buddy off.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, on the plus side, all of these individual duels are easier to deal with than a head-on battle.

Defeating both stars is all but unimaginable (although it would be genuinely awe-inspiring), but maybe if you defeat Beta star you can challenge the leader of Gamma star to a duel, and if you succeed they'd back off? That's quite unlikely, but at least slightly more likely than winning a knock-down drag-out.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Well, "Hauptmann" means "Captain" and "Kommandant" means "Commander." Not that we have a Commander rank in our own Byzantine army ranking system, but I assume it matches with Major because "Kommandant" add some extra authority to "Hauptmann." Of course, the actual German army has Majors, and they use the same word for it, so the Hauptmann-Kommandant is pretty much a rank between Captain and Major that has no American or English equivalent.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, "Hauptmann" means "Captain" and "Kommandant" means "Commander." Not that we have a Commander rank in our own Byzantine army ranking system, but I assume it matches with Major because "Kommandant" add some extra authority to "Hauptmann." Of course, the actual German army has Majors, and they use the same word for it, so the Hauptmann-Kommandant is pretty much a rank between Captain and Major that has no American or English equivalent.

But if you consider the word origin of Hauptmann (high-/head-/man), the Hauptkommandant is the most senior Kommandant, or major. "Major" isn't terribly fraught with meaning (it's a warrant rank in French service), and the Franco-German system where Kommandant directly links with Battalion Command is easier to understand.

It's academic, because the source materials say:

FM:Lyran Alliance posted:

The rank of hauptmann-kommandant has no equivalent in other militaries, representing the senior battalion commander within a regiment. In addition to their normal duties, a h-k is charged with ensuring the colonel's orders are passed on and understood. (Caesar appears to be bad at this) Furthermore, they serve as an information conduit between junior officers and the colonel, ensuring that the regimental commander has the information needed to make decisions. (One imagines Caesar is very good at this)

Now, if anyone wants to explain to me why the FedCom had Leftenant Generals as regiment commanders instead of Colonels, I'd be happy to hear it.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 31, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Zounds. In that case, Warlocke, we can both pony up for an alpha strike with 8 THs on our big guns or we can try to draw him in and make him show one of us his back. I am down with both ways, but if you have no preference I would marginally prefer to draw this out even at the risk of pissing our new buddy off.

I'm down with drawing this out, we need to last what, 16 more turns?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I'm down with drawing this out, we need to last what, 16 more turns?

OK. Pulling back into cover. Rommel, don't get in his firing arc, but be ready to charge.

And pray B3 doesn't get Ace next turn. Because he does we're a little hosed.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
We need a bondsman! Otherwise, we're boned. Oh so very boned.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Against these enemies and odds I don't mind the return of the "goonluck". :v:

Show us some pissed off clanners, PTN.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

elitebuster posted:

We need a bondsman! Otherwise, we're boned. Oh so very boned.

They're boned anyway. The only thing to determine is to how deep the bonage penetrates, if you will.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Polaron posted:

They're boned anyway. The only thing to determine is to how deep the bonage penetrates, if you will.

Given that they're outnumbered, outclassed and massively out-tonned, in IS level 1 'mechs versus Clan level 2 'mechs... Optimized level 2 Clan 'mechs, which is saying something since Clan 'mechs already tend to be highly optimized compared to comparable Level 1 IS 'mechs...

I'm going to start at "hips deep" and say that it could go so bad as to resemble some particular forms of hentai that some people find either disturbing or highly erotic or possibly both at the same time.

Either way, we're going to see some serious poo poo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Ah well, opportunities lost. I gotta say, though, the tales of this battle that're sure to be told by the Clanners - no matter which side wins - are probably going to be highly complimentary, in a sneering sort of way, to the 2nd Donegal. Which leads me to wonder... doesn't that mean the Clans will start sending their best and brightest towards this corridor, in the hopes of gaining the most glory by defeating House Steiner? I wonder if a victory here might not cost more than it gains, in the long run...

The Vipers would try really hard to keep the corridor to themselves. Having an occupation zone gives you a boatload of resources and labor that homeworld Clans don't have, so the Invaders will resist new Clans as much as possible.

Yeah, it may paint a bit of a target on the Unwearied Second, but in a good way like the 3rd Lyran Guard in canon, who the Clans respect and thus get stuff like safcon (the Clans give you free passage on your way in to combat), hegira, and not using bondsref (killing yourself rather than serving someone who took you prisoner). This is opposed to the ELH, who have a target in a bad way.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

He was the commander of the unit until Katrina Steiner got killed and Aldo Lestrade muscled on in (the unit nickname "Caesar's Legion" is in honor of him being the youngest regimental commander in LCAF history). Katrina placed a lot of value in his performance in battle and so used her authority to get him out of jams a lot. With her gone, Lestrade decided to come down on him and bust him two ranks down. Probably some people who prefer him to the new guy might still call him Colonel behind Rossi's back.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do you know all of this? Is this canon or alternate universe canon? It sounds like the second really :P

Rossi is cool though, he can be my colonel any day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Now, if anyone wants to explain to me why the FedCom had Leftenant Generals as regiment commanders instead of Colonels, I'd be happy to hear it.
They're actually Regimental Combat Teams. My 4th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT is actually 1 Mech Regiment, 2 Armour Regiments and 2 Jump Infantry Regiments (later mixed Jump/Battle Armour).

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

They're actually Regimental Combat Teams. My 4th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT is actually 1 Mech Regiment, 2 Armour Regiments and 2 Jump Infantry Regiments (ahem).

That makes perfect sense, but I was imprecise. The AFFC rank chart does not contain Colonels. Goes straight from Kommandant to Leftenant General. The hell? Perhaps a typo that was canonized.

\/\/ Actually, that's pretty good. Makes sure your Regimental commanders have paper seniority when deployed with mercs.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 31, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

That makes perfect sense, but I was imprecise. The AFFC rank chart does not contain Colonels. Goes straight from Kommandant to Leftenant General. The hell? Perhaps a typo that was canonized.

clearly only mercenary scum can be colonels, the rank is tainted

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It must be a typo, both the AFFS and LCAF/LAAF rank charts contain it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

How do you know all of this? Is this canon or alternate universe canon? It sounds like the second really :P

Rossi is cool though, he can be my colonel any day.

The stuff about Lestrade coming down on Caesar is from PTN's writeups. The stuff about Caesar being the old unit CO, the youngest Colonel in LCAF history, and Katrina Stener protecting him is from the original House Steiner sourcebook. The stuff about people who prefer him to Rossi still calling him Colonel is my conclusion based on some narration from Samantha, our PoV character.

quote:

The AFFC's rank system has been referred to by characters in-universe as "a bastardized attempt at making things idiot-proof" basically from the word go. It's not ever really portrayed as a good system of rank and both the AFFS and LCAF drop it the first chance they get.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So is there an equivalent to Lieutenant Colonel in this rank structure? Hauptmann is Captain and Kommandant is Major, so what's their Colonel equivalent?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

So is there an equivalent to Lieutenant Colonel in this rank structure? Hauptmann is Captain and Kommandant is Major, so what's their Colonel equivalent?

FM: FS and FM: LA both have an equivalent ranking table in them. The enlisted stuff is pretty straight forward, but here's what officer ranks look like:

code:
AFFS                  AFFC                  LCAF
Subaltern              -                    Leutnant
Leftenant             Leftenant             1st Leutnant
Captain               Hauptmann             Hauptmann
Major                 Kommandant            Kommandant
-                     -                     Hauptmann-Kommandant
Leftenant Colonel     Leftenant Colonel     Leutnant-Colonel
Colonel               Leftenant General     Colonel
Leftenant General     Hauptmann General     Leutnant-General
Major General         -                     Hauptmann-General
General               -                     -
Marshal               Marshal               Kommandant-General
Field Marshal         Field Marshal         General
Marshal of the Armies Marshal of the Armies General of the Armies
The main problem the AFFC ranking system has is that the elimination of all the mid-range flag officer ranks like Hauptmann-General and what have you, combined with Hauptmann General being the rank for an RCT commander, means that everyone assigned to positions like PDZ (polymorphous defense zone) commands, brigade commands, pretty much anything behind the scenes where multiple RCTs answer to you, had to be a Marshal. But then anyone they answer to had to be a Field Marshal, and there can only be one Marshal of the Armies, so they ALL have to answer to him and him alone.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Defiance Industries posted:

The AFFC's rank system has been referred to by characters in-universe as "a bastardized attempt at making things idiot-proof" basically from the word go. It's not ever really portrayed as a good system of rank and both the AFFS and LCAF drop it the first chance they get.

So, it's basicly the DHS of the Battletech universe?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Basically, someone thought it would be a great idea to 'simplify' the flag ranks to make things less confusing, and succeeded only in making things more confusing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Defiance Industries posted:

FM: FS and FM: LA both have an equivalent ranking table in them. The enlisted stuff is pretty straight forward, but here's what officer ranks look like:

code:
AFFS                  AFFC                  LCAF
Leftenant Colonel     Leftenant Colonel     Leutnant-Colonel
Colonel               Leftenant General     Colonel
Leftenant General     Hauptmann General     Leutnant-General
Major General         -                     Hauptmann-General
General               -                     -
Marshal               Marshal               Kommandant-General
Field Marshal         Field Marshal         General
Marshal of the Armies Marshal of the Armies General of the Armies

So why is a Lieutenant General lower than Major General? I thought that both the AFFS and the LCAF imitated NATO ranks, so the AFFC should as well. The lack of a Colonel rank in the AFFC still puzzles me... A jump from Lieutenant Colonel straight to two Star General? That irks me.

If I'm remembering my NATO officer ranks correctly, Brigadier General is a one Star (O-6), Major General is a two Star (O-7), Lieutenant General is a three Star (O-8), and a full General is a four Star (0-9). Marshal would probably be equivalent to General, so that would be an O-9 as well. Field Marshal would be above that (O-10) and then finally the Marshal of the Armies.

Also, since the Lyrans seem to be imitating German ranks, why don't they style their Colonels Oberst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Also, since the Lyrans seem to be imitating German ranks, why don't they style their Colonels Oberst?

Because 'Battletech'. Really, guys, it's annoying but not really worth thinking too hard about.

• Locked thread