Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Plunki posted:

Ah, missed this suggestion for a minute!

Very good try, hadn't looked at this one before, buttt it is too cartoony looking, but pretty drat close in view/style.

I think the harvesters/woodcutters/peasants were smaller little guys. no vibrant colours really. just lots of dark green and browns

thanks for the try :)

Do you remember if it had any fantasy elements?

EDIT:

Maybe someone can answer this for me as well: a long time ago I played a game (bought from a bargain bin, I think), that I thought was quite fun. It was basically a rip-off of Warcraft II. It was 2d isometric, had three races (humans, orcs, elves). The main change was that every unit had individually tracked experience, and had an inventory into which they can pick up items that were basically passive buffs. And you can bring high level units from one map to the next in a campaign for a fee in gold. Also, the elves had centaurs for cavalry.

Any ideas?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plunki
Apr 25, 2008

Fangz posted:

Do you remember if it had any fantasy elements?

!!! I just got a call from my friend who has also been trying to remember this game for the last several days and they finally FOUND IT:

Ultimate Domain (also known as Genesia) from 1992:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Domain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7BYtlYJ2ec

There is not much information out there on it. My memory had been warped a decent amount by time, but it feels right with the snow and such. I may have been misleading you with the RTS part, i guess it may be more turn based. Now to download a copy and try it out.

Plunki fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 29, 2011

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Fangz posted:

Maybe someone can answer this for me as well: a long time ago I played a game (bought from a bargain bin, I think), that I thought was quite fun. It was basically a rip-off of Warcraft II. It was 2d isometric, had three races (humans, orcs, elves). The main change was that every unit had individually tracked experience, and had an inventory into which they can pick up items that were basically passive buffs. And you can bring high level units from one map to the next in a campaign for a fee in gold. Also, the elves had centaurs for cavalry.

Any ideas?

There's not even a wiki page for this game but this sounds like Rival Realms.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ah ha! That's indeed it.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Gleng posted:

That's one hell of a list. Thanks. :)

Please post if you find it, I'm curious!

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

zombieman posted:

Please post if you find it, I'm curious!

I'm actually considering digging out my huge box of Spectrum tapes and going through them.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

Gleng posted:

I'm actually considering digging out my huge box of Spectrum tapes and going through them.

I've been racking my brains for what it could be, and I'm coming up with nothing that fits that exact criteria!

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
A game from the late nineties (well, definitely not younger than 2001, I think). It was hell-devils-inferno themed logical-puzzlish game. The game was played on a board divided into a number of squares. The gameplay consisted of alternately you placing a shooting/exploding gimmick on one square and the game spawning a number of monsters on other squares. You had to align your various shooty/explody bits to create chain reactions, clear out as many fields as possible and survive as long as possible. At least that's how I vaguely remember it, rings a bell anyone?

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Mecharasputin posted:

A game from the late nineties (well, definitely not younger than 2001, I think). It was hell-devils-inferno themed logical-puzzlish game. The game was played on a board divided into a number of squares. The gameplay consisted of alternately you placing a shooting/exploding gimmick on one square and the game spawning a number of monsters on other squares. You had to align your various shooty/explody bits to create chain reactions, clear out as many fields as possible and survive as long as possible. At least that's how I vaguely remember it, rings a bell anyone?

Sounds like Derek Yu's Diabolika II

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp

A Classy Ghost posted:

Sounds like Derek Yu's Diabolika II

Actually I was thinking of Diabolika I, but the sequel's even better. Thanks!:D

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
I remember a game I played way back on Windows 95, maybe 98 I dont remember. Either way you were a criminal and you could do criminal things. You could go to the park and pick pocket grannies. Sometimes it would work, sometimes you would fight a bunch of grandmas with shotguns. Or you could kidnap a kid. Again it would either work or you would fight a pack of kids with machine guns. The battles were turn based like the old final fantasy games and you could build up a gang. You could rob stores which included stealth sections where you avoid guards and stuff. You could sell the kids you kidnapped into child labor or ransom them. If you get caught by the cops there's a minigame where you run around a maze while cops chase you and try to catch you, like pac man but with alternate mazes and you're going against a time limit instead of getting anything.

I really want to play this game again, does anyone know what it is?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Placebo posted:

I remember a game I played way back on Windows 95, maybe 98 I dont remember. Either way you were a criminal and you could do criminal things. You could go to the park and pick pocket grannies. Sometimes it would work, sometimes you would fight a bunch of grandmas with shotg

I didn't need to go any further than this. Crime Fighter.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Placebo posted:

I remember a game I played way back on Windows 95, maybe 98 I dont remember. Either way you were a criminal and you could do criminal things. You could go to the park and pick pocket grannies. Sometimes it would work, sometimes you would fight a bunch of grandmas with shotguns. Or you could kidnap a kid. Again it would either work or you would fight a pack of kids with machine guns. The battles were turn based like the old final fantasy games and you could build up a gang. You could rob stores which included stealth sections where you avoid guards and stuff. You could sell the kids you kidnapped into child labor or ransom them. If you get caught by the cops there's a minigame where you run around a maze while cops chase you and try to catch you, like pac man but with alternate mazes and you're going against a time limit instead of getting anything.

I really want to play this game again, does anyone know what it is?

You're German, aren't you? Bet you are. Apparently Crime Fighter is also available in English, but i couldn't for the life of me imagine how you could have gotten your hands on it back in the darken days of late MS-DOS / Win95. But i don't know much about shareware distribution back in the stone age, either way.

Played the shareware to death back then with my brother. Apparently it's freeware now, so full version for everyone, yay! Though i remember the benefits only were grenades as an additional weapon and some else equally useless.

fakeedit: aaand beaten already

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay this is an old one. Very late 90's game, RTS, PC. You obtained resources in an odd way: you planted some kind of plant that would spread over a field and grant you periodic resource points, and your units were customizable alien warriors of some sort. You obtained new parts for them by sucking up the DNA of rival aliens after you killed them. Anybody know?

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

I've been stuck on a game for years and would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

I remember this so distinctly because I purchased the game with my allowance on a trip to visit my aunt in Boston. I couldn't play the game itself so I must have read the manual a hundred times.

The game itself was late 90s/early 2000s RTS for the PC. You started as a colony ship that landed on an unknown planet and from there you had to gather resources and build a base. The colony ship seemed very large compared to the rest of your buildings and units. I remember having to mine iron (it was orange) and coal I think as well as other specific resources. You had to tech up to build new vehicles and I never think I got very far because I don't remember any combat. I want to say it was on a grid, oriented diagonally but I wouldn't swear to that.

In my mind I want to say the title was Shattered Earth but after much Googling, it doesn't seem anything like the mediocre flash game of the same name.

SteveMcQueen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 31, 2011

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Speedball posted:

Okay this is an old one. Very late 90's game, RTS, PC. You obtained resources in an odd way: you planted some kind of plant that would spread over a field and grant you periodic resource points, and your units were customizable alien warriors of some sort. You obtained new parts for them by sucking up the DNA of rival aliens after you killed them. Anybody know?

Sounds kind of like Impossible Creatures, but I'm not sure about the plants part...

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

SteveMcQueen posted:

I've been stuck on a game for years and would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

I remember this so distinctly because I purchased the game with my allowance on a trip to visit my aunt in Boston. I couldn't play the game itself so I must have read the manual a hundred times.

The game itself was late 90s/early 2000s RTS for the PC. You started as a colony ship that landed on an unknown planet and from there you had to gather resources and build a base. The colony ship seemed very large compared to the rest of your buildings and units. I remember having to mine iron (it was orange) and coal I think as well as other specific resources. You had to tech up to build new vehicles and I never think I got very far because I don't remember any combat. I want to say it was on a grid, oriented diagonally but I wouldn't swear to that.

In my mind I want to say the title was Shattered Earth but after much Googling, it doesn't seem anything like the mediocre flash game of the same name.

This is a total stab in the dark, but I think it could be Thandor: The Invasion.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Speedball posted:

Sounds like Warbreeds.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

SteveMcQueen posted:

This is probably Enemy Nations.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Psychorider posted:

This is probably Enemy Nations.

Holy poo poo thank you! This is totally it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I remember some hilarious Lets Play videos of a really lovely game where you go to a couple's apartment and you have to try and save their marriage. It was basically a gimmick game to showcase a supposedly revolutionary AI where they respond to anything you type with a real conversion. As you might imagine if was insanely broken.

Bieeardo posted:

Facade

Thank you!

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 1, 2011

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember some hilarious Lets Play videos of a really lovely game where you go to a couple's apartment and you have to try and save their marriage. It was basically a gimmick game to showcase a supposedly revolutionary AI where they respond to anything you type with a real conversion. As you might imagine if was insanely broken.

Facade

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
Goddamn thank you both of you. I've wanted to play this again for so long. Also I am german but have lived in the US my entire life. No idea how we got it, my brother got it for me

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Speedball posted:

was it 3D? And I think the campaign race/faction was red? If so I think I know what game it is but the name escapes me for the moment, thankfully I still own it so I'll see if I can't find it.

e: Apparently I meant blue, I can't find my copy but I remembered the name, is it Dominant Species?

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 1, 2011

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Turns out it was Warbreeds. Thanks, guys! ...I have no idea what I'll do with this information, turns out I have nothing that can play it. Still!

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Trying to remember the name of a game from a long long time ago. It was a side scrolling adventure game, I think it featured a ninja/karate/action type character, and you went through various levels. Most were inside this lair type dungeon, and I distinctively remember one of the later levels having these bolts of electricity that lit up the floor that you had to jump over. I do not remember this character using any type of guns or shooting weapons.

I don't remember the system that it was on, it looked too graphically enhanced to be on the Atari 2600, but I definitely know it wasn't on a PC, because my friend at the time didn't have one, or would even know how to hook one up onto his TV. I can safely date this as being in the 1988-1990 era.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 1, 2011

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

trunkwontopen posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game from a long long time ago. It was a side scrolling adventure game, I think it featured a ninja/karate type character, and you went through various levels. Most were inside this lair type dungeon, and I distinctively remember one of the later levels having these bolts of electricity that lit up the floor that you had to jump over.

I don't remember the system that it was on, it looked too graphically enhanced to be on the Atari 2600, but I definitely know it wasn't on a PC, because my friend at the time didn't have one, or would even know how to hook one up onto his TV. I can safely date this as being in the 1988-1990 era.

The electrified floor makes me suspect that it might be Bruce Lee on the C-64, though that's definitely earlier than '88-90.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Trying to remember the name of a game that I got free with a printer back in the 90s. It was the Epson Stylus Color 600 and the game was a racing game. The only things I can remember from it was that you got to race in different vehicles (cars, bikes, planes) and on one track there was a secret area in which if you went off road you could run over some sheep.

I remember it being surprisingly fun.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Bieeardo posted:

The electrified floor makes me suspect that it might be Bruce Lee on the C-64, though that's definitely earlier than '88-90.

That might have been it... i looked at some images, and I'm not sure. I would have to see a screen shot of the one electric floor level. I remember the level was vertical; you started at the top, and you had to run off the one floor to get to the next, in an alternating pattern. I do remember that I never seen them pass this level.

EDIT:

After taking that information, i found a video for "ultimate bruce lee" and that is indeed the game. Thanks!

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 1, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DarthBlingBling posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game that I got free with a printer back in the 90s. It was the Epson Stylus Color 600 and the game was a racing game. The only things I can remember from it was that you got to race in different vehicles (cars, bikes, planes) and on one track there was a secret area in which if you went off road you could run over some sheep.

I remember it being surprisingly fun.

I don't recall the sheep, but could it have been Big Red Racing?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

scamtank posted:

I don't recall the sheep, but could it have been Big Red Racing?

Actually found out 2 mins after posting but thought I'd let you guys have fun figuring out.

Yeah you're right tho. The sheep were in an off road bit and you could squish them.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

Gleng posted:

Did you manage to find it? The suspense is killing me!

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
There was this game based on a train, it was a point and click, it had an amazing trailer, the art of the game was very... hmm... art-like. Like, kind of a painting, I would say cel-shaded, but I don't think that's what it is.
The game gave me vibes of Agatha Christie's Murder in the Orient Express, and I distinctively remember a Clock being part of the gameplay in some way or another.

I got the demo for that game, and now I want to check it out.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

SGRaaize posted:

There was this game based on a train, it was a point and click, it had an amazing trailer, the art of the game was very... hmm... art-like. Like, kind of a painting, I would say cel-shaded, but I don't think that's what it is.
The game gave me vibes of Agatha Christie's Murder in the Orient Express, and I distinctively remember a Clock being part of the gameplay in some way or another.

I got the demo for that game, and now I want to check it out.

You are looking for "The Last Express".

Edit: It can be yours for 6 bucks.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Ah, that's exactly it. Thank you.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I played this one maybe 5 or 6 years ago, it was an RTS, but it was completely underwater... that's about the only way I can describe it, if anyone can help I'd be most thankful

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Brace posted:

I played this one maybe 5 or 6 years ago, it was an RTS, but it was completely underwater... that's about the only way I can describe it, if anyone can help I'd be most thankful
Submarine Titans?

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

zombieman posted:

Did you manage to find it? The suspense is killing me!

I shall go and have a look when I finish my breakfast. :)

Just looked through what I could find. No joy!

Gleng fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 4, 2011

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
When I was a kid there was this one joystick for the PC that pretty much everyone had. From research I'm pretty sure it was the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. I don't know if it was a limited release thing, or regional or whatever but most people I know had it come bundled with this space combat sim type game. It's on the tip of my tongue but for the life of me I can't remember what that game was called.

Edit: And it definately wasn't a Mechwarrior.

Bat Ham fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

Bat Ham posted:

When I was a kid there was this one joystick for the PC that pretty much everyone had. From research I'm pretty sure it was the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. I don't know if it was a limited release thing, or regional or whatever but most people I know had it come bundled with this space combat sim type game. It's on the tip of my tongue but for the life of me I can't remember what that game was called.

Edit: And it definately wasn't a Mechwarrior.

I think I got one of the Freespace games with a joystick. What year, roughly?