Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I upload at 100% because for the most part, I don't think the work I do is actually worth stealing to anyone, and second because, as a gear oriented person and occasional pixel peeper, I think it's interesting to see how things look at 100%. I got pissed that a few people took my Clouds & Moon shot and used it for their own purposes, (one even using it for an album cover), but for the most part no one would even want to steal what I post. The optimal resolution IMO is somewhere around 1200-1400px though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any advice on portfolio sites?

I'm far from a professional photographer, but I would like to show off the pictures I take as part of the "whole package". I'm a grad student at a new media/art/design school, and I need to be able to show some kind of portfolio if I'm going to attempt to get an internship this summer.

I've started using cargocollective just for ease of use. Anyone have any other advice? (I'm staying away from indexhibit for the time being).

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm far from a professional photographer, but I would like to show off the pictures I take as part of the "whole package". I'm a grad student at a new media/art/design school, and I need to be able to show some kind of portfolio if I'm going to attempt to get an internship this summer.

I've started using cargocollective just for ease of use. Anyone have any other advice? (I'm staying away from indexhibit for the time being).

If you fiddle with it, smugmug is pretty decent.

http://4ormat.com/ <- I've heard good things about these guys, but they seem a bit too barebones for me.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Awkward Davies posted:

I use squarespace, I didn't like smugmug and zenfolio because when I was checking them out they always looked like a smugmug or zenfolio. I'm pretty sure at least smugmug really opened up to full customization though since then though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

http://4ormat.com/ <- I've heard good things about these guys, but they seem a bit too barebones for me.

drat, fuckin' sold. Think I'll sign up with them this week or next.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
loving seconded. I have been screwing around with trying to redo my website for months.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

haha I wish I got some kind of referrer code for 4ormat now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I made a super ghetto lightbox today for taking photos of a friend's iphone that he's selling on ebay.

ghettolightbox by DevinWR, on Flickr

In action!

iphone-5 by DevinWR, on Flickr

iphone-2 by DevinWR, on Flickr

This is so awesome! Once this 100mm macro gets here there will be so much macro photography happening.

Also, I sold my 28-135 today. :clint:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Bump up the brightness and it'll look a lot cleaner.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nonanone posted:

Bump up the brightness and it'll look a lot cleaner.

What do you mean "cleaner"? Bumping up the brightness just seems to make noise and show off all the tiny chips in the plastic and bits of dust. I think it's more realistic but it's not really fair because you probably won't notice all those details on a phone in your pocket as opposed to a macro photography subject.

Unless that's just general advice for lightbox work. Then thanks!

mcphone by DevinWR, on Flickr

Brightness increased and noise reduction applied in LR.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yup generally speaking if you're using a lightbox/on white, you want your white background to actually be white, or it looks really muddy and underexposed. Usually you want to bring out details, a cleaner image.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So my wife got a Nintendo 3DS and the 3d camera part is fun to play with. I mainly played with araging things and composing a photo to have that maximum and obnoxious 3D effect. I'm hoping it'll come to cell phones soon.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So my wife got a Nintendo 3DS and the 3d camera part is fun to play with. I mainly played with araging things and composing a photo to have that maximum and obnoxious 3D effect. I'm hoping it'll come to cell phones soon.

http://www.loreo.com/pages/products/loreo_3dcap_photo.html

Have one of these at work for DSLR, it works!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
60 completely unusable stock images. Hilarious. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/60-completely-unusable-stock-photos

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
#38 is pretty awesome.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Any man of a certain age in the UK will recognise #8 and #10 as photographs of footballer Jason Lee.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So the 3D camera thing isn't just a dumb gimmick like those P&Ses that have been out for months now?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Ric posted:

Any man of a certain age in the UK will recognise #8 and #10 as photographs of footballer Jason Lee.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that's Adam Duritz.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

William T. Hornaday posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure that's Adam Duritz.
I can see why you thought that, but you're wrong.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
How do you even manage to make something like this?

http://www.360cities.net/gigapixel/strahov-library.html

I know how to do a 360 panorama like that, but how do you do one and also get that ridiculous level of detail? Is it automated with something that calculates the FoV and shoots it with various focal lengths achieving 100% coverage with each? I'm imagining an absolutely dizzying amount of photos to cover all of that to that level of detail.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dakana posted:

How do you even manage to make something like this?

http://www.360cities.net/gigapixel/strahov-library.html

I know how to do a 360 panorama like that, but how do you do one and also get that ridiculous level of detail? Is it automated with something that calculates the FoV and shoots it with various focal lengths achieving 100% coverage with each? I'm imagining an absolutely dizzying amount of photos to cover all of that to that level of detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigapan

They are less expensive than you might imagine:

http://www.gigapansystems.com/

I have been tempted at times. Only $300 for the basic model

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I'm actually having a hard time finding shooting locations for anything in my area (general landscape stuff, critter hunting, industrial macro, etc.)

Anyone have good locational resources? Something that points out awesome areas around your residence/city?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Abnegatus posted:

I'm actually having a hard time finding shooting locations for anything in my area (general landscape stuff, critter hunting, industrial macro, etc.)

Anyone have good locational resources? Something that points out awesome areas around your residence/city?

It depends on what you're looking for. I always go to the book store and look for hiking/birding/travel books from the area. Those are generally good for landscapes.

If you want to take pictures of flowers and people doing stuff in parks, go to parks I guess.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

tuyop posted:

So the 3D camera thing isn't just a dumb gimmick like those P&Ses that have been out for months now?

I wouldn't buy a dedicated point and shoot for 3D right now because you can't display the photos anywhere, but inside the 3DS is really nice because the screen doesn't use glasses. 3D always feels a little gimmicky, but I think there's definitely room for some really cool photographs. A 3d cell phone would rock with the no glasses technology.

I do want to get one of those loreo 3d lenses, but the lack of a proper viewing device is what's killing me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I wouldn't buy a dedicated point and shoot for 3D right now because you can't display the photos anywhere, but inside the 3DS is really nice because the screen doesn't use glasses. 3D always feels a little gimmicky, but I think there's definitely room for some really cool photographs. A 3d cell phone would rock with the no glasses technology.

I do want to get one of those loreo 3d lenses, but the lack of a proper viewing device is what's killing me.

There's an android 3d phone coming, but I think it's a bad idea because the viewing angle is apparently really strict. Kind of a big deal on a cell phone. How tolerant is the 3DS's viewing angle?

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
http://missatlaplaya.blogspot.com/2008/11/magic-of-make-up-photography-and-good.html?no

This is a really cool series. They took a 20 year old model and photographed her to look like she was 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 and it's really impressive. Just shows what you can do with the right make-up artist and lighting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Inez and Vinoodh :love:

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

evil_bunnY posted:

Inez and Vinoodh :love:

And Eniko! :love: :love:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can appreciate the whole "wanna document history" mindset for embedded journalists, but I gotta say, if an area is so dangerous that you have to hide a camera under your arm to avoid being shot at, perhaps it's time to rethink priorities.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/afghanistan-in-panorama-march-2011/100036/

That said, the shots he got are pretty cool. I think this means there's a market for super wide sensors that can take shots like this without having to pan. :colbert:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The way we do them is chop the images in half, and tone them for those red/blue 3D glasses

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So the director of the hospital system I work in was retiring today, and I was tasked with taking a bunch of photos of his retirement. I got one that's actually a pretty nice picture of him talking with a group of nurses. Except right in the background, between the director and the nurses, is my boss scratching his face. With his middle finger. It totally looks like he's just shooting the bird to the camera.

I can't decide if I'm going to include it in the batch of pictures I give him tomorrow and just feign ignorance when he notices it because I think it would be funny.

This is probably not funny to anyone but me. Anyone else ever had a good shot where something awkward was happening in the background?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Hehe, if only old people wouldn't do that. Scratching with their middle finger, pointing with their middle finger, etc. Must've been a trend many years ago that none of us understand.

Edit: Removing possible advice from the No Advice thread.

Danoss fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 1, 2011

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

xzzy posted:

I can appreciate the whole "wanna document history" mindset for embedded journalists, but I gotta say, if an area is so dangerous that you have to hide a camera under your arm to avoid being shot at, perhaps it's time to rethink priorities.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/afghanistan-in-panorama-march-2011/100036/

That said, the shots he got are pretty cool. I think this means there's a market for super wide sensors that can take shots like this without having to pan. :colbert:

I'd want to tell you more, but I'm in a hurry. Check out Carl De Keyzer's series Trinity, where he worked exclusively with a panorama camera.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

xzzy posted:

Sounds like he used one of those Lomo Horizon cameras or something. Could have been a Noblex but those are crazy expensive.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

xzzy posted:

drat, that's one of the best series from Afghanistan I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

This one is great. It's as if though it was taken on Mars by one of the rovers.
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/afghanistan-in-panorama-march-2011/100036/#img02

** timg'd because of breaking tables

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't imagine why anyone would fight over Afghanistan, much less choose to live there. Every picture I've ever seen of the place looks like it's a scene from Mars.

Granted, it's a very photogenic Mars, but a desert wasteland nonetheless.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

I can't imagine why anyone would fight over Afghanistan, much less choose to live there. Every picture I've ever seen of the place looks like it's a scene from Mars.

Granted, it's a very photogenic Mars, but a desert wasteland nonetheless.

You know most of the people there don't have a whole lot of choice in where they live, right? You can't just pack up a U-Haul and move two states over.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Now before we spiral into another stupid discussion about something stupid not related to photography have a look at this :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/interactive/2011/apr/01/new-review-month-in-photography

Some awesome shots in this series, wish it wasn't a flash movie tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibertjim
Mar 25, 2005
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/wan/2295275965.html

Does she really think her services are really worth 1000 dollars, AND does she really think she can get a decent car for that price?