Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sizzlechest posted:

Has anyone with a Nook Color tried CM7 RC4? They added hardware acceleration into the release.

I'm going to pick my NC up from the office tomorrow and try it, I've been using it to read PDF files and other work documentation, so damned nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sizzlechest posted:

Has anyone with a Nook Color tried CM7 RC4? They added hardware acceleration into the release.

I'll be trying it tonight or tomorrow just for funsies, good to see it finally got an RC.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

This is probably a dumb question, but I've rooted my phone (Thunderbolt) and I know it came with a version of BusyBox, but what does it do exactly? On the Market, there's an installer for BusyBox and it says a newer version of BusyBox is available. Should I install it?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Gilg posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I've rooted my phone (Thunderbolt) and I know it came with a version of BusyBox, but what does it do exactly? On the Market, there's an installer for BusyBox and it says a newer version of BusyBox is available. Should I install it?

Busybox is a set of linux command line apps designed for embedded systems. You only need to upgrade if you want or if something specifically tells you it needs to - you'll probably never directly use busybox.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

cptn oblivious posted:

How's your 3g performance? I've heard rumors that after you finish a call 3g won't start back up on its own.

Haven't experienced this at all....

I didn't do a wipe either, just a Nandroid backup.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

emoltra posted:

Any word on anyone working on a Gingerbread / Sense 2.0 ROM for the dinc?

Also, I wonder if htcsense.com will work with devices that didn't come with the new version of Sense out of the box.

htcsense.com doesn't work with devices that did come with the new sense.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

melon cat posted:

Alright, re-rooted. Not sure what that did, but I've gotten a little further. However, I'm following this guide to get Thunderberg Custom Recovery working. Once I punch in the bolded command line:

... it says 'No such directory exists'.

Eh?

Thanks for all of your help, by the way. This whole rooting procedure has been a... humbling experience.
Dude you called it "thunderberg" (Jewish thunder?) instead of "thunderg"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

The only ringtone is Hava Nagila. Instead of 1-2-3-4 bars for signal, you've got the 0/1/half/all characters from a Dreidel or a menorah in various stages of being lit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

melon cat, you also didn't address the failure after mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak. That's trying to change install-recovery.sh to the same with .bak at the end for backup purposes and the error says it can't find the original file. It might not be a problem but I just noticed you didn't do anything about it.

Are you even looking at what the error messages say when you type things or are you just banging it out and asking us when it doesn't work out in the end? This is some pretty basic stuff here.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Sizzlechest posted:

I used the official RC for a couple of days and it was really nice. Right now I'm using this build which is a WIP of CM7 tablet tweaks. Things such as different buttons in status bar, being able to move the status bar to the top or bottom, having the soft buttons on the left or right, etc. After it's all being done in the official gerrit so once it's merged it'll be available for all tablets with CM7.

Here's my nook with menu, back, and quick notification. The quick notification button instantly brings up and hides the notification screen. It's really nice not having to pull the bar all the way up. I can see doing it on a phone, but a tablet has too much screen to move it across. You can choose which buttons you want in the status bar, as well.

I think he's working on forcing the status bar to stay on screen all the time now.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 1, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Has anyone experienced screen sensitivity issues with CM7 RC4 on an EVO? I noticed the problem immediately after flashing. It was almost impossible just to unlock the phone, and swiping and taping on icons was a pain in the rear end. As soon as I restored to my backup of RC3 the problem went away.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

melon cat, you also didn't address the failure after mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak. That's trying to change install-recovery.sh to the same with .bak at the end for backup purposes and the error says it can't find the original file. It might not be a problem but I just noticed you didn't do anything about it.
I skipped it because someone in the thread over at the Android forums had a similar issue, and it was met with this reply: "You dont want that file there as it keeps recovery from "sticking" its not in all roms usually there ater you do an ota update. That command removes it. If its not there move on to next step." i assumed this was the case, so I moved on to the next command line.

LastInLine posted:

:doh: Okay. Laugh it up. I deserve this one.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 1, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

melon cat posted:

I skipped it because someone in the thread over at the Android forums had a similar issue, and it was met with this reply: "You dont want that file there as it keeps recovery from "sticking" its not in all roms usually there ater you do an ota update. That command removes it. If its not there move on to next step." i assumed this was the case, so I moved on to the next command line.
Yeah I thought that's what that file did but I didn't see anything in the instructions saying that it sometimes wasn't there, that's why I wanted to make sure you weren't just ignoring things.

Looks like you're almost there, though, keep at it.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
What kernel should I ideally be using with CM7r4 on an evo?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is Titanium Backup not working properly on CM7 roms(for the Desire)? I've tried trying to restore my backups but it only seems to be installing the apps and not my user data. Also, when I open up the market app, none of the apps appear installed but are still listed under "My Apps".

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

Totally happens, dude. I spent 2 hours trying to root my old G1 only to realize I was trying to erroneously flash a non existent file called DREAMING.nbh instead of DREAIMG.nbh.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Has anyone experienced screen sensitivity issues with CM7 RC4 on an EVO? I noticed the problem immediately after flashing. It was almost impossible just to unlock the phone, and swiping and taping on icons was a pain in the rear end. As soon as I restored to my backup of RC3 the problem went away.

I'm getting this issue on RC3, but plugging my phone in made it go away.

I've been using miui for about a month and switched to cm7 a few days ago, and it feels really junky in comparison :-/ I'll probably switch back to miui once the next version comes out...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

melon cat posted:

I skipped it because someone in the thread over at the Android forums had a similar issue, and it was met with this reply: "You dont want that file there as it keeps recovery from "sticking" its not in all roms usually there ater you do an ota update.
True. Samsung (although I think it's a general thing) OTA updates include a "/system/etc/install-recovery.sh" and "/system/recovery-from-boot.p", both of which can be safely deleted if you're installing a custom recovery. They're not part of stock ROMs, so if you've never run an OTA update over your current ROM, that's why they're not there.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

helsabot posted:

I'm getting this issue on RC3, but plugging my phone in made it go away.

I've been using miui for about a month and switched to cm7 a few days ago, and it feels really junky in comparison :-/ I'll probably switch back to miui once the next version comes out...

Strange. I had the problem with RC4 whether plugged in or not, but RC3 has been fine in that regard.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Scrubed posted:

Yes I have the same question.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Is Titanium Backup not working properly on CM7 roms(for the Desire)? I've tried trying to restore my backups but it only seems to be installing the apps and not my user data. Also, when I open up the market app, none of the apps appear installed but are still listed under "My Apps".

Any time you have an issue with Titanium backup, it's usually due to a BusyBox incompatibility. On the "Overview" page, click on the "Problems?" button and click the "Get BusyBox" button.

You can tell it's been updated by looking at the "Root access:" status message on the Overview page.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
No, busy box is installed correctly according to the app

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok I had to flash back over to a Sense ROM to do the GPS fix and redo the EVO Streaming/PRL fix. I backed up CM7 as was and wiped everything. Flashed Warm 2.2 and did both fixes.

My question is this, when I restore back to CM7 do I wipe anything or not? I would assume I would wipe cache and davlix, but if I wipe data it would go back like I never done the fix. It is just weird to be jumping between ROMs without wiping data. Is this not an issue because you are restoring instead of flashing back to CM7?

Also is there any way to see your proxy information on a non-Sense ROM?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

No, busy box is installed correctly according to the app

If you have root, you have BusyBox. You just don't have the right BusyBox that works with Titanium Backup. Do the procedure I posted and it will show a different version of BusyBox used from app instead of system.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

nate fisher posted:

Ok I had to flash back over to a Sense ROM to do the GPS fix and redo the EVO Streaming/PRL fix. I backed up CM7 as was and wiped everything. Flashed Warm 2.2 and did both fixes.

My question is this, when I restore back to CM7 do I wipe anything or not? I would assume I would wipe cache and davlix, but if I wipe data it would go back like I never done the fix. It is just weird to be jumping between ROMs without wiping data. Is this not an issue because you are restoring instead of flashing back to CM7?

Also is there any way to see your proxy information on a non-Sense ROM?

Wiping data doesn't even erase your current ROM, let alone the radio and related things like PRL. You don't have to wipe anything before doing a nandroid restore, because it's all erased when the image is rewritten anyway.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005

nate fisher posted:

Ok I had to flash back over to a Sense ROM to do the GPS fix and redo the EVO Streaming/PRL fix.

What's the streaming/PRL fix? It rings a bell, but I don't remember exactly what it's for

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Gentlemen! Does anyone know if it's possible to get the HTC Gallery running on a non-Sense ROM?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

helsabot posted:

What's the streaming/PRL fix? It rings a bell, but I don't remember exactly what it's for

See this thread

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/280082-major-solution-fix-your-slow-3g-speeds-evo4g.html#post2297201

Before I did this I couldn't stream Sirius and Rhapsody only played what songs it felt like. This was something to do with Sprint screwing up a update for the EVO or something. Now all is good.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

nate fisher posted:

See this thread

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/280082-major-solution-fix-your-slow-3g-speeds-evo4g.html#post2297201

Before I did this I couldn't stream Sirius and Rhapsody only played what songs it felt like. This was something to do with Sprint screwing up a update for the EVO or something. Now all is good.

I'm have the feeling that messing with the proxy settings is what fixes the streaming issue, and the PRL stuff is just silly rain dancing. I mean, maybe updating PRL resets those proxy addresses, but the actual PRL itself has nothing to do with it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Scrubed posted:

The stock kernel is pretty good but I like SBC (trickle charge) so I go back and forth between Savaged-Zen and Tiamat.

Right now SZ 1.0.1 has some serious lag issues that need to be fixed and the devs seem to have a lot of trouble with their Buildbot setup, resulting in multiple SZ releases with the same version number because "the buildbot was somehow a few commits behind WHOOPS" so I've switched over to Tiamat again, possibly for good this time.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

datajosh posted:

The stock kernel is pretty good but I like SBC (trickle charge) so I go back and forth between Savaged-Zen and Tiamat.

Right now SZ 1.0.1 has some serious lag issues that need to be fixed and the devs seem to have a lot of trouble with their Buildbot setup, resulting in multiple SZ releases with the same version number because "the buildbot was somehow a few commits behind WHOOPS" so I've switched over to Tiamat again, possibly for good this time.

Please explain trickle charge

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

brc64 posted:

Please explain trickle charge
Basically it keeps your phone at 100% instead of dropping to 90% then recharging to 100% again. There are some people that think it could damage your battery (and a few claim that it has damaged theirs) but there's no proof that it does and there are a lot of people running these types of kernels with no issues.

I wouldn't leave a no name battery from Hong Kong charging for 8 hours past 100% on one of these kernels, but stock batteries should be fine as they have hardware to protect against overcharging.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
This is probably a stupid question, but when gingerbread Is finally released for the desire is it likely to include proper a2sd support or will it be the same crap that foyo does?

Secret Agent
May 19, 2006
You ain't seen me, right?
Don't think it's any different, full a2sd is a 3rd party thing (I think) not stock android. If you want more app space check out alparev.nl.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Secret Agent posted:

Don't think it's any different, full a2sd is a 3rd party thing (I think) not stock android. If you want more app space check out alparev.nl.

To be honest I've had enough of running 3rd party roms, id really like to be able to run a rom that is written and tested by a team of professionals that actually allows me to use more than a handful of apps at a time. But I guess the only way thats gonna happen is if I buy a better phone. oh well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Solly posted:

To be honest I've had enough of running 3rd party roms, id really like to be able to run a rom that is written and tested by a team of professionals that actually allows me to use more than a handful of apps at a time. But I guess the only way thats gonna happen is if I buy a better phone. oh well.
You've had more bad luck with custom ROMs than anyone I've ever heard about. And with a Desire and its storage problems, you're pretty much forced to do so, so I do empathize. However I do want to just throw out there that CM has been so rock solid that I can't imagine switching.

Still I'd say given the Desire line is on its third iteration that if you aren't happy with the stock 2.2 Sense ROM and you just can't get a custom ROM working reliably, your only option is to get a new phone. :(

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
I updated to MIUI 4.1 and there are 2 camera apps showing up now, one with a purplish background, and one thats just a whitish box with a lens. I did a full wipe (multiple times) before flashing this, any idea why this is happening? does anyone else have the same thing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

You've had more bad luck with custom ROMs than anyone I've ever heard about. And with a Desire and its storage problems, you're pretty much forced to do so, so I do empathize. However I do want to just throw out there that CM has been so rock solid that I can't imagine switching.

Still I'd say given the Desire line is on its third iteration that if you aren't happy with the stock 2.2 Sense ROM and you just can't get a custom ROM working reliably, your only option is to get a new phone. :(

I flashed the AlphaRev HBOOT and a custom partition thing from them http://alpharev.nl/

Do note that it currently only works on GSM Desires, but I'm using the Bravo CM7 partition thing from them, which is 130 megabyte /system, 5 megabyte /cache and 302 megabyte /data and it works great. The default partitioning is 250M/40M/147M, incidentally, so I've gained like 155 megabytes of usable space.

The neat thing is, after you format the internal storage and make sure the partitions are applied right, you can reload a nandroid from an existing CM7 install to the new partitions with no issue (besides your cache partition being full, but that's no big deal, you just wipe it).

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I do have defrost running fairly well now, no noticeable major bugs and its fairly snappy. The only complaint is that fruit ninja has a pretty bad framerate but other seemingly more graphically intense games like air assault work fine. That could just be that fruit ninja has gotten sloppy after an update or something idk. Other than that very occasionally it seems like the memory goes a bit nuts and the phone takes a while to kill off any un-needed processes before becoming stable again. The camera still crashes things once in a while though but not as much as it did. The odd strange thing happens with wifi as well but I'm willing to blame that on my crappy router. I've been thinking about switching to CM but there was that thing about Gingerbread based CM roms occasionally just randomly going into bootloops long after the rom is installed for seemingly no reason and I know its a one in a million chance, but for me those odds are probably more like 1 in 10 and unless they have figured out what caused it to happen I'll probably stay away from Gingerbread CM roms. Although I have to say Redux looks quite good, can anyone else who has used it let me know what they thought. I'd install it right now but I know with clockwork none of my nandroids ever worked, in theory it should work with AR now but I'd rather not find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Just did the evo fixes, and I'm waiting for CM7 RC4 to get out of the CM7 boot animation... How long should I wait and what's the deal?

edit: nm, fixed it.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 2, 2011