Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
"Fantasia Verlag, a German publisher that specializes in collectors catalogs is pleased to announce the release of the second Premium Edition of the LEGO Collector’s Guide."

With exclusive minifig with honest-to-god classic-space helmet!
april is the cruelest month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
So, I ran down to my local lego store at 10am when they opened. Was the only one there. I picked up my 2 Maersk Trains sets and 4 s4 figs. They had a ton of s3 still left and 3 boxes of s4 opened. I ended up with 2 hazmat guys and 2 vikings.

Also this months special is spend 75$ and get a small PAB cup free, so I picked out a small cup worth of PAB.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
This weekend, my wife and I are inviting some friends over for a "Lego build-off party." I'm just excited to get one or two of my big Lego tubs out of the basement (I have eight huge Rubbermaids full of them), so I haven't figured out a plan beyond dumping parts on the kitchen table and letting people build stuff. I'd buy Creationary, but we're kind of low on funds at the moment. Any suggestions for making Lego into a fun social activity?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

YOU MISERABLE SON OF A BITCH.

Time Cowboy posted:

Any suggestions for making Lego into a fun social activity?

I recommend using them to build things with other people. ;)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Time Cowboy posted:

This weekend, my wife and I are inviting some friends over for a "Lego build-off party." I'm just excited to get one or two of my big Lego tubs out of the basement (I have eight huge Rubbermaids full of them), so I haven't figured out a plan beyond dumping parts on the kitchen table and letting people build stuff. I'd buy Creationary, but we're kind of low on funds at the moment. Any suggestions for making Lego into a fun social activity?

Could probably write your own rules for Creationary. Or play, like, a Lego version of that game where you draw (build) something and someone has to guess what it is? Or everyone can just make CubeDudes.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

I hate you so much right now... I had my hopes up really high until I got to the end.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

At least the book is real.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Time Cowboy posted:

Any suggestions for making Lego into a fun social activity?

Weed?

Actually, what Saint Sputnik said is a really cool idea; write down a bunch of nouns on pieces of paper, get an hourglass or a stop watch, and you've got your own creationary.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I like the "make our own Creationary" idea. Goodness knows we have enough parts to go around. Thanks!

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
This is a pretty neat kluge.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So I need to move and want to get rid of one of my larger sets. I'm trying to sell my Star Destroyer (6211) but the R2D5 minifig is missing. Should I bother buying one to replace it, or should I just knock a bit more than it would cost to replace off the price? I've bought a few sets off of bricklink but I've never sold one before.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Hey jerks, I dunno if the Barnes & Noble 50% off coupon works with LEGO, but I was there yesterday and they had almost every cop/firefighter City set, some other City, most of Pharaoh's Curse (Sphinx and Pyramid at 50% off!!) and a bunch of other LEGO sets and games. You might want to check it out.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Saint Sputnik posted:

Could probably write your own rules for Creationary. Or play, like, a Lego version of that game where you draw (build) something and someone has to guess what it is? Or everyone can just make CubeDudes.

Creationary is almost the same thing as Pictionary. You can actually check out the rules for Creationary from the Lego website.

I'd recommend laying down a tablecloth before you bust out the bricks. It'll save a lot of time cleaning up at the end of the night.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Phyresis posted:

Hey jerks, I dunno if the Barnes & Noble 50% off coupon works with LEGO, but I was there yesterday and they had almost every cop/firefighter City set, some other City, most of Pharaoh's Curse (Sphinx and Pyramid at 50% off!!) and a bunch of other LEGO sets and games. You might want to check it out.

The store here wouldn't let me use the coupon on LEGO.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Phyresis posted:

I checked out a B&N here and none of the lego was marked down. Jerk.

Found this today. This guy has bought a LOT of minifigs;

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=467868

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 2, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I guess people really only want that Maersk train? I got to a Lego store today and they had only the display train but like 10 boxes of the container ship.

I picked up the easter basket and 5 minifigs, got the hockey player and hazmat guy without even trying (the dots were really awful, not worth agonizing over, I just made sure to grab a couple of thicker ones).

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

ElwoodCuse posted:

I guess people really only want that Maersk train? I got to a Lego store today and they had only the display train but like 10 boxes of the container ship.

I picked up the easter basket and 5 minifigs, got the hockey player and hazmat guy without even trying (the dots were really awful, not worth agonizing over, I just made sure to grab a couple of thicker ones).

The ship has been out for a while and is overpriced for the pieces you get in my opinion. The Lego store in Chicago had a lot of trains on the shelves.

I have not been obsessed with the minifigures (I don't really care about full sets), but I really want that hazmat guy, scientist, and musketeer.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Paul Proteus posted:

The ship has been out for a while and is overpriced for the pieces you get in my opinion. The Lego store in Chicago had a lot of trains on the shelves.

I have not been obsessed with the minifigures (I don't really care about full sets), but I really want that hazmat guy, scientist, and musketeer.

The mad scientist has strange rubber-y hair, by the way. I haven't seen those since the anime robot set.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Found this today. This guy has bought a LOT of minifigs;

Wasn't sure what you meant at first then holy poo poo I saw the wheels.

I'm trying to devise a way to make little gun and sword holsters for minifigs. I've seen plenty of cloth ones and that's what I might do, but I also seem to remember once seeing a photo where the figure had like a standard clip piece built into the "belt" part of the legs. That's brilliant and I wish it would become an official design offer.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I'm messing round in LDD, can someone with more parts than me confirm if the blue piece in the image really does stick out past the surface of the gray piece, or if it's just a quirk of the program? LDD won't let me put a plate on the gray piece because of it.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Saint Sputnik posted:

Wasn't sure what you meant at first then holy poo poo I saw the wheels.

I'm trying to devise a way to make little gun and sword holsters for minifigs. I've seen plenty of cloth ones and that's what I might do, but I also seem to remember once seeing a photo where the figure had like a standard clip piece built into the "belt" part of the legs. That's brilliant and I wish it would become an official design offer.

The upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean sets are introducing baldrics that fit the pirate cutlasses. Also BrickForge makes holsters and sheaths of all kinds.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

afflictionwisp posted:

I'm messing round in LDD, can someone with more parts than me confirm if the blue piece in the image really does stick out past the surface of the gray piece, or if it's just a quirk of the program? LDD won't let me put a plate on the gray piece because of it.

It goes up at about 45 degrees.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

afflictionwisp posted:

I just mimicked this with actual lego, and if anything the ball&socket piece sits slightly recessed, and you shouldn't have any problem putting a plate on that modified brick. Looks like an error to me.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 3, 2011

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Haha, whoops. I understood his question wrong.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

The upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean sets are introducing baldrics that fit the pirate cutlasses. Also BrickForge makes holsters and sheaths of all kinds.

Found a good shot of that:

Don't really like how BF's gunbelts look though, I'll try and make my own out of cloth that could fit either a gun or sword.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Well, i think I'm done for a while with buying new ones, i really think it should be enough for a MOC now. And its ripping holes in my pocket.

These i have built so far

Only the 4 on the left remain, but i don't think batman and the star wars thingy will make it out of the box so soon, once the technic models are done i want to build a MOC from them.

From all the models built so far, i enjoyed the 8043 Motorized Excavator the most, here's a in progress picture done a while ago. I really learned a lot about gears and stuff.

Right now i'm building this one, 8466 4x4 Off Roader and try to figure out how the transmission works.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 3, 2011

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

RabbitWizard posted:

Right now i'm building this one, 8466 4x4 Off Roader and try to figure out how the transmission works.

This set is a drat fine set. The gull-wing doors are excellent, and even have a small bottom portion that opens up into a sort of step-ladder.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Brick Daddy knows how to fill a niche.

(Cthulhu-kun is so cute, uguuu~~)

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

I just mimicked this with actual lego, and if anything the ball&socket piece sits slightly recessed, and you shouldn't have any problem putting a plate on that modified brick. Looks like an error to me.

You're just always so drat helpful. I kinda scrapped that idea, though, in favor of a different technique that mostly eliminates the gap between the ball piece and the side of the brick.

The hips on this thing are evil, and the shoulders and cockpit are going to be worse. I'm currently using one of these and two of [url=http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=62712]these]/url] in the hips, but I don't know if that will be enough to hold it upright. Don't have those pieces currently to do any testing, though. Criticisms, comments, suggestions for improving those joints?

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

InfinEight posted:

Good god, man.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Picked up one of these little AT-STs last night at Target. They have this, a Ninjago kit, and a 4-wheeler thing for $4 in the Easter candy section. I'm gonna have to grab a few more.

CayTeo
Oct 14, 2004

I don't want to set the world on fire

InfinEight posted:

That's awesome! Did those red hair pieces come with a set or did you order a la carte? I don't think I've ever seen them before.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Geez now I got three extra baseball players. Local Walmart has a lot of S3, still no S4. Picked up three packs while I was in today and two of them were that guy.

e: I'd be happy to sell or trade if anyone's building a team.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 3, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RabbitWizard posted:

Only the 4 on the left remain, but i don't think batman and the star wars thingy will make it out of the box so soon, once the technic models are done i want to build a MOC from them.
What Batman set is that? You'd probably be better off just selling it if it's MISB to some insane collector who will pay 300 dollars for it.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

CayTeo posted:

That's awesome! Did those red hair pieces come with a set or did you order a la carte? I don't think I've ever seen them before.

I got them with my last big batch of Bricklink orders. They were way too expensive at $1.25 each, but I was already buying a ton from that store so I figured 'what the hell.'

This is what bricklink shows for the sets it came in:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=62696&v=1&in=S&srt=0&srtAsc=A&ov=Y

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

InfinEight posted:

Props on the harpoon pimp cane for added nautical flair.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

He's gotta keep those sea-wenches in line somehow :v:

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

CayTeo posted:

The Lego store Pick-a-fig also had that hair for a while. I don't know if they still do.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So is there a way to determine what figures are in the S3 and S4 packs? My TRU and Fred Meyer have cases upon cases and no one is buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
The most reliable way nowadays is to just familiarize yourself with the figures enough that you can feel what they are.

And I'm still loving waiting for goddamn s4 in my area.