Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Vectorwulf posted:

Bah, figured as much... Ah well, at least my games look great on it. Thanks though! :)

There's a chance the amount of glow is variable monitor to monitor. There is noticeable IPS glow on my NEC PA231W at angles (which uses an e-IPS panel as well) but it's never as extreme as that even in a dimly lit room. To be honest, the IPS glow on my screen is really only detectable when it's displaying dark colours.

The fact there's so much glow on your screen even when it's displaying a relatively bright game might suggest that monitor suffers from LG's panel lottery. I know U2311H owners on other forums have returned their monitors because the orange and blue IPS glow was too extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Quanta posted:

There's a chance the amount of glow is variable monitor to monitor. There is noticeable IPS glow on my NEC PA231W at angles (which uses an e-IPS panel as well) but it's never as extreme as that even in a dimly lit room. To be honest, the IPS glow on my screen is really only detectable when it's displaying dark colours.

The fact there's so much glow on your screen even when it's displaying a relatively bright game might suggest that monitor suffers from LG's panel lottery. I know U2311H owners on other forums have returned their monitors because the orange and blue IPS glow was too extreme.

It just looks bad, is all. It's also worse on the right side, and the problem only manifests from the top. Colors wash out/get dim due to the light even as I move my head at my desk. I might just RMA it because I went through entirely too much bullshit to deal with a monitor that I'm not 100% satisfied with.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Stew Man Chew posted:

It just looks bad, is all. It's also worse on the right side, and the problem only manifests from the top. Colors wash out/get dim due to the light even as I move my head at my desk. I might just RMA it because I went through entirely too much bullshit to deal with a monitor that I'm not 100% satisfied with.

Good luck man. I've tried to buy a U2311H twice and they were total crap both times. I think Dell just doesn't have the same quality or deserve the reputation they used to - my 2005FPW and 2007WFP don't have this glow issue and both of them are leagues above the quality of the panels I've gotten lately. I'm not sure where to look now for a good IPS, maybe HP's S-IPS offerings.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Aphal posted:

I'm not sure where to look now for a good IPS, maybe HP's S-IPS offerings.
HP's generally use the same panels as Dell's do, so unless the issues are unrelated to the panel, you're likely to have similar experiences. If anything, the U2311H is a victim of its own success, as its great popularity seems to be causing stock issues, which then translates into QA issues when the impetus is on shipping units as fast as possible.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

DrDork posted:

HP's generally use the same panels as Dell's do, so unless the issues are unrelated to the panel, you're likely to have similar experiences. If anything, the U2311H is a victim of its own success, as its great popularity seems to be causing stock issues, which then translates into QA issues when the impetus is on shipping units as fast as possible.

HP's own product page states they use S-IPS in the ZR series, whereas the Dells are e-ips. I know I'm not going to get away from an LG panel unless I get a Samsung, really, but they should at least be different panels.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
Just bought a new system and am shopping around for a monitor- seems a lot of you recommend the Dell U23, I was initially considering this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-P2450H-24-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B002DPYQSW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

which is at the higher end of my budget, would you say it is a huge mistake to choose this one over the Dell, which is right at the top of what i'd be willing to spend?

I have a 6850 and will be playing modern FPSs almost entirely if that helps any.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
one more question :D

I have a decent tft monitor from 2007, ( LG l225ws) but have misplaced the power supply cable since we moved home- this generic power cable would get it working again right?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/11500814/Cable-Mountain-Twin-IEC-240v-Mains-PC-Monitor-Black-Power-Lead-2-Metre/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:11500814|prd:11500814

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Boring posted:

Just bought a new system and am shopping around for a monitor- seems a lot of you recommend the Dell U23, I was initially considering this:
The reviews I was able to pull up on it show it as a fairly mediocre monitor with issues involving over-saturating the green channel and black/grey "crush." Also note that it's a TN monitor, as opposed to the U2311H's IPS, meaning that the Samsung is going to lose to the U2311H on anything involving the actual screen other than refresh rate (and even there it's not going to win by much). Not sure what the price difference is for you, since it looks like you're in the UK, but the U2311H is certainly the superior monitor of the two.

As to your other question, if the cable you lost for your monitor was just a generic 3-prong one like they usually are (that is, there wasn't a power brick involved somewhere), then yes, you can just replace it with any other generic 3-prong power cord that you may have laying around. They're all pretty much the same.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Aphal posted:

HP's own product page states they use S-IPS in the ZR series, whereas the Dells are e-ips. I know I'm not going to get away from an LG panel unless I get a Samsung, really, but they should at least be different panels.
There's a lot of tomfoolery that crops up when you try to start differentiating between the different forms of IPS panels. Yeah, HP's product page lists it as "S-IPS," but if you go and look at the actual data-sheet, it lists it as "S-IPS (UH-IPS technology for improved energy efficiency)" which means...well I'm not really sure! And these guys (panel type LM215WF2) say that the U2211H and the ZR22W use the exact same panel, much like the U2410 and the LP2475W. What I'm saying is that there's a hell of a lot of overlap with the popular panels, so it's harder to get away from them than you might think.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Gonna buy a U2711 this week when my pay comes in.

Decided to go all out and upgrade in size as well as to an IPS screen.

Then thought I'd see what price they are in America as the Australian dollar is loving awesome right now.

Saw they were $1099.....at the Australian store they are $799 ($679 after 15% off coupon). I think this is a first....electronics being cheaper in Australia. What the gently caress is going on. Its the exact same model right?

Dell(TM) U2711 27" Ultrasharp Wide Screen Monitor

Now I'm worried.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
woop went for U2311 since aria has just put 10 up as super savers for only £200, get em quick britons, 2 gone in the last 30 minutes

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/23%22+Dell+UltraSharp+U2311H+Widescreen+IPS+Monitor+?productId=40729

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fists Up posted:

Saw they were $1099.....at the Australian store they are $799 ($679 after 15% off coupon). I think this is a first....electronics being cheaper in Australia. What the gently caress is going on. Its the exact same model right?
:iiam: It's the same monitor, though, the only difference is the regional price.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
DO NOT RMA the U2311H unless the issue is so horrible that you have no choice. Dell's RMA units are dogshit. I RMA'd my original U2311H because of a few stuck/dead pixels, and received a refurb that had about 12 stuck pixels all in a nice dime sized area of the screen. I would turn the thing on, and see a circle of red/green/blue dots in the mid-right center of any background image. loving rediculous.

I RMA'd that one, and received another U2311H refurb. This one has been fine except for one stuck red pixel located in the far right side of the screen. Im not even going to bother with another RMA attempt (both monitors were revision A01's too). The one decent thing about this recent refurb is that the whites seem a lot more accurate, and crisp than the original monitor I bought from dell.

I guess any kind of LCD monitor is doomed to have some kind of pixel problems even in this day and age. I have yet to buy an LCD TV/monitor in the past 7 years that has not had some kind of pixel problems.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

This might be of interest to those looking for an affordable, e-IPS, LED-backlit competitor to the U2311h: Asus released the ML239H a few weeks ago and it's cheaper than the U2311h.

It's loving hideous though.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Avalanche posted:

DO NOT RMA the U2311H unless the issue is so horrible that you have no choice. Dell's RMA units are dogshit. I RMA'd my original U2311H because of a few stuck/dead pixels, and received a refurb that had about 12 stuck pixels all in a nice dime sized area of the screen. I would turn the thing on, and see a circle of red/green/blue dots in the mid-right center of any background image. loving rediculous.

I RMA'd that one, and received another U2311H refurb. This one has been fine except for one stuck red pixel located in the far right side of the screen. Im not even going to bother with another RMA attempt (both monitors were revision A01's too). The one decent thing about this recent refurb is that the whites seem a lot more accurate, and crisp than the original monitor I bought from dell.

I guess any kind of LCD monitor is doomed to have some kind of pixel problems even in this day and age. I have yet to buy an LCD TV/monitor in the past 7 years that has not had some kind of pixel problems.

I've been holding out on sending out my U2311H out to them (see post here) because of similar concerns. Anyone else care to comment on this? Are the U2311H RMAs generally pretty good, or are they generally a huge pain in the rear end?

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I'm saving up to build a PC this September (gearing up for Battlefield 3) that I will use, primarily, for gaming. I'd really like an IPS screen like the U2311H.

I'm assuming it would be a good idea to pick one up before I build the actual computer to get the best price. But, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what is a "good" price range for that monitor? Are there particular feeds to watch for good deals? (I check in on TechDealDigger pretty frequently, but that's about it.) Are there releases coming up that might drive the price of either one downward?

I'm open to other suggestions, as well. (A 24" inch screen would be pretty awesome, but not really necessary.) Or, should I just relax because there will more than likely be a deal closer to September?

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 4, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

pocket pool posted:

I'm assuming it would be a good idea to pick one up before I build the actual computer to get the best price. But, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what is a "good" price range for that monitor? Are there particular feeds to watch for good deals? (I check in on TechDealDigger pretty frequently, but that's about it.) Are there releases coming up that might drive the price of either one downward?
If you're inside the US, your primary source for the U2311H is going to be dell.com, with a default price of $320. They run deals about once a month, varying from $20 to $60 off or so, with a $40-$50 discount being the most common. It's certainly worth waiting for a sale if you're not in a rush, because another one will roll around.

As for upcoming releases, it's hard to say. The monitor industry is notorious for announcing something at a trade-show, and then no one hearing a damned thing about it for 6-12 months, and then it suddenly showing up on shelves. Or a manufacturer releasing a model with no preamble at all, and the first anyone knows of it is when it pops up on NewEgg or whatnot.

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I've been holding out on sending out my U2311H out to them (see post here) because of similar concerns. Anyone else care to comment on this? Are the U2311H RMAs generally pretty good, or are they generally a huge pain in the rear end?
In the past they've been very good--in fact, Dell's warranty service has been a strong selling point for their monitors. However, in the past month or so, it seems that there have been a rising number of complaints in this thread. I don't know if it's just a bad batch, or if it's permanently lower build quality/QA, or what. While you will eventually get a nearly perfect one from them, it seems like it is not terribly uncommon to take two or three tries at it, rather than before when the RMA replacement would 99% of the time be perfect.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

I can only comment that I ended up not RMA-ing my 2311, and that it payed off. As some might recall, the problem was that there was a bunch of poo poo stuck in the panel that looked like dead pixels:

I initially didn't return it due to being busy, lazy, and generally apathetic, but now I wanted to take care of it and a stick of RAM that started bluescreening my computer. So I opened a new fullscreen white document to again check where all the crap was, and... there was none. I thought I just got used to seeing all the black dots, but even staring from up close, the worst I could find were a couple of tiny points that seem slightly reddish when looking at them from a certain degree. Where did the rest of the dirt go, did it all fall out, or burn off? :iiam:

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I just moved recently and my monitor didn't make it unscathed. Only a small credit card sized area in the top left corner isn't cracked to hell. Fortunately it is an ancient 17" LCD that I've been meaning to upgrade. I'm pretty broke and won't be doing any color sensitive work, so I'm sticking to a TN panel.

I've been using dealnews.com to look for monitor deals (similar to pocket pool's techdealdigger, but itemized by default). Right now Dell has a 21.5/23/24" LCD for 110/140/160. All are 1080, 5ms, and with HDMI, DVI-D, and VGA inputs.

http://dealnews.com/Dell-24-ST2410-B-1080-p-Widescreen-LCD-Display-for-160-free-shipping-more/449735.html
http://dealnews.com/Dell-ST2210-B-22-1080-p-Widescreen-LCD-Display-for-110-free-shipping/450336.html

I'm probably going to go with the 23" model(link is with the 24"). Is there anything I should be looking for that wasn't in the OP? And if you guys have any suggestions, let me know.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

odinson posted:

I'm probably going to go with the 23" model(link is with the 24"). Is there anything I should be looking for that wasn't in the OP? And if you guys have any suggestions, let me know.
Cheapish TN panels are a commodity item these days. There's not too much to differentiate any of them. Absent any particular special requirements you might have, it's unlikely that you'd be able to tell one TN from another.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks DrDork. The only thing I was really loking for was a DVI connection for my PC and a HDMI for my Xbox. I figure I can sell it used and get a good chunk of money back if I back if I ever feel the need to switch to a 120hz and/or IPS panel.

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

I'm a respected community leader! A shining pillar of moral strength!
Are there any other decent alternatives one could get instead of the U2311H? Within that budget, that is.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
RMA came for my U2211h, same drat problem.

ballsack! Tired of this nonsense!

Although I hosed around with some custom settings on this one and got a slightly better result. OK, fine, it was a hell of a deal, gonna quit my yap now :(

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 5, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
What is the cheapest possible monitor that wouldn't look like poo poo next to a 24" iMac?

Purefish
Jun 12, 2008
I am waiting for a 27-34" IPS screen that makes updates at 120hz, before I buy a new primary display.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Nonpython posted:

What is the cheapest possible monitor that wouldn't look like poo poo next to a 24" iMac?
The iMacs are all IPS, so to not look like poo poo, you're going to have to match it with another IPS or MVA. Which brings me to Drake Lake's question: There's a new IPS at NewEgg which looks interesting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122 I haven't seen any actual reviews of it yet, but the stats look pretty good, and it's a bit cheaper than the U2311H, and some report that it's actually the same panel, just an LED backlight instead of CCFL. So if you'd want to be a guinea-pig, do let us know!

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
There's a new NEC too, the EA232Wmi that is LED and IPS but apparently it has backlight issues.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
I'm having some issues with my Dell u2311h. Occasionally, when I either cold boot the computer OR turn on the monitor while the computer has been on (and move the mouse/tap the keyboard to activate the display), the u2311h will take half a minute or so to display an image. This problem also seems to coincide with a very unresponsive OSD. It'll take like 15 seconds for the brightness/contrast bars to pop up.

So far, removing the power cord for a while has served as a temporary fix, but the issue seems to eventually come back. I've also tried resetting the monitor to factory settings, although that can be difficult, with the OSD unresponsive and all.

Anyone had this happen to them? Google reports other instances, but no one has any suggestions besides what I mentioned and RMAing the unit.

When it last happened, I noticed the top of my monitor was pretty hot, in part because the back faces a sunny window. I'm gonna try to keep it out of the sun and see if the problem keeps occuring.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

evensevenone posted:

There's a new NEC too, the EA232Wmi that is LED and IPS but apparently it has backlight issues.

I see a lot of complaints on various forums and even newegg about all the new LED IPS screens and backlight issues. Looks they suffer uniformity and bleeding across the board.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

I'm having some issues with my Dell u2311h. Occasionally, when I either cold boot the computer OR turn on the monitor while the computer has been on (and move the mouse/tap the keyboard to activate the display), the u2311h will take half a minute or so to display an image. This problem also seems to coincide with a very unresponsive OSD. It'll take like 15 seconds for the brightness/contrast bars to pop up.

So far, removing the power cord for a while has served as a temporary fix, but the issue seems to eventually come back. I've also tried resetting the monitor to factory settings, although that can be difficult, with the OSD unresponsive and all.

Anyone had this happen to them? Google reports other instances, but no one has any suggestions besides what I mentioned and RMAing the unit.

When it last happened, I noticed the top of my monitor was pretty hot, in part because the back faces a sunny window. I'm gonna try to keep it out of the sun and see if the problem keeps occuring.

RMA it. Ask for an advance RMA. Dell is pretty good about making sure its Ultrasharp customers are pretty happy. You may have to try a few times, but one of their customer support monkeys should be willing to do an advance RMA. They should send you your replacement unit and a box to ship the borked one back with.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hmmm wish I had looked at this thread before ordering my monitor. Turns out I ended up buying the recommended 3D monitor anyway (VG236HE). Not going to read through every page to see if someone has commented on it yet, but I am pretty happy with it so far. I'm not very technically adept at evaluating monitors I guess but it looks nice and the 3D is amazing in every game I have tried(At least games that would work in 3D, 2D games like the Paradox ones do a weird thing with the menus and country names hanging in mid air which is pretty cool but impractical).

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

DrDork posted:

The iMacs are all IPS, so to not look like poo poo, you're going to have to match it with another IPS or MVA. Which brings me to Drake Lake's question: There's a new IPS at NewEgg which looks interesting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122 I haven't seen any actual reviews of it yet, but the stats look pretty good, and it's a bit cheaper than the U2311H, and some report that it's actually the same panel, just an LED backlight instead of CCFL. So if you'd want to be a guinea-pig, do let us know!

This monitor just went on sale, $209 for 23" IPS. w/ promo code EMCKFKC55. Still not sure if I want to give it a shot considering how ugly the thing is.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Sir Nigel posted:

RMA it. Ask for an advance RMA. Dell is pretty good about making sure its Ultrasharp customers are pretty happy. You may have to try a few times, but one of their customer support monkeys should be willing to do an advance RMA. They should send you your replacement unit and a box to ship the borked one back with.

Thanks, that's good to know about the advance RMA! Hopefully I won't get one with dead pixels.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I'm having a difficult time deciding if I should pick up the U2311H versus a larger TN panel for a gaming PC that I'm putting together. I have a friend who can land me the U2311H for $255 and this will be about the only way I can get an IPS panel in an acceptable size inside of my price range (about $325 maximum).

However, if I skip IPS, I can probably get a 27" monitor. I'm thinking that I'll be sitting a bit too close to my monitor to appreciate the additional screen real estate. So, really, a 23" or 24" monitor is probably be more appropriate.

So, for gaming and general internet browsing, if it comes down to IPS versus overall screen size, what is the better choice?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

pocket pool posted:

However, if I skip IPS, I can probably get a 27" monitor. I'm thinking that I'll be sitting a bit too close to my monitor to appreciate the additional screen real estate. So, really, a 23" or 24" monitor is probably be more appropriate.

So, for gaming and general internet browsing, if it comes down to IPS versus overall screen size, what is the better choice?
Keep in mind that if you're getting a cheapish 27" monitor, it'll probably be 1920x1080, which if you're using it at normal desktop distances, really isn't something I'm too fond of. You get a much bigger pixel pitch (that is, the pixels are physically larger and farther apart), which tends to make things look a little more blocky than they would on a smaller screen. In that sense I would prefer a 24" 1920x1080 over a 27" 1920x1080, even if there were no price difference. I strongly think that 27"+ monitors should be 2560x1440 and up--though such monitors tend to be over $400.

Really, if you're going to use it for just gaming and don't care about much else, I'd get a ~24" TN 1920x1080 for like $150-$200 and call it a day. If you wanted something nicer, jumping to an IPS will get you noticeable visual quality gains, but obviously you're going to pay a bit more. I'd only get a 27" 1920x1080 if my eyesight was poor and the "everything is bigger" was useful.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

^^^ Also anything over 24" in TN means that you get very visable colour differences between where you are viewing and the corners/edges. Or from top to bottom if its tilted. Just because the screen is becoming so big and your angle changes across it.

Ordered the U2711 :D for AUD$679 (which is like US$710 now)

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
EDIT: Nevermind

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 8, 2011

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Alright, goonmind, got another somewhat esoteric peripheral question for you lot. Well, a pair, really, that are sort of related.

Firstly: does anyone know if the U2410 can receive audio information from its DVI-D ports? Basically, if I plug in an HDMI device via an HDMI-DVI converter plug thingie, would I get audio to the soundbar like I do when just plugging in to the HDMI port, or would it be video-only?

Secondly, and especially if the answer to the above is negative: does anyone have a recommendation for a good HDMI switch? The essential problem is that I picked up an XBOX360 recently, and I'd like to plug it into my monitor the same way I have with my PS3, since I've been very happy with how that's worked out. Problem is, naturally, the 2410 only has one HDMI input. So does the 2711, for that matter, and throwing down the money for a 3011 isn't quite an option for various reasons :v:

So what I need is some kind of HDMI switch, one that'll take multiple HDMI ins, has a single HDMI out that will feed into the monitor and let me switch between input sources as needed. I can also just swap wires, sure, but that'll get really annoying with reaching behind the monitor every time I want to swap consoles (and plus I'd be worried about wear-and-tear on the plugs long term). Problem: the reviews for the switches on Newegg are kind of scattershot and all over the place and I don't really see any brands I recognize and trust, and the HDMI switch Best Buy was offering was, of course, intolerably expensive and is probably a piece of poo poo anyway.

So, anyone have advice on this? I really don't know where to start shopping or who to trust on this sort of thing.

EDITRANT: You know, that is the one real complaint I have about the Ultrasharps: Dell went a long way to basically making them TVs already, especially if you have a soundbar, so would it have killed them to include the RCA audio input jacks to go along with the Component and Composite video inputs :argh:

(also who the christ would even use composite on a loving Ultrasharp I mean goddam)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 8, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

SpaceDrake posted:

Alright, goonmind, got another somewhat esoteric peripheral question for you lot. Well, a pair, really, that are sort of related.

Firstly: does anyone know if the U2410 can receive audio information from its DVI-D ports?

Nope, but it can via DisplayPort.

quote:

Secondly, and especially if the answer to the above is negative: does anyone have a recommendation for a good HDMI switch?

I haven't used any, but MonoPrice does really well selling generic cables and hardware, so you might check their offerings out. For example, this 4-to-1 HDMI 1.3b BluRay 3D compliant bad boy for $30

quote:

(also who the christ would even use composite on a loving Ultrasharp I mean goddam)

I take it you've never wanted to play your NES picture-in-picture along with the LP playing off your PC :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Factory Factory posted:

Nope, but it can via DisplayPort.

So that'd be an HDMI-to-Displayport coverter plug like this here thing, and I'd be in business, sound and all?

quote:

I haven't used any, but MonoPrice does really well selling generic cables and hardware, so you might check their offerings out. For example, this 4-to-1 HDMI 1.3b BluRay 3D compliant bad boy for $30

Yeah, I knew about Monoprice, I just wasn't sure who to shop for, or if there were any brands to explicitly avoid, etc. If I can get audio input off of the Displayport plug with a bit of HDMI-to-Dport chicanery, though, it's all a bit of a moot point anyway :v:

quote:

I take it you've never wanted to play your NES picture-in-picture along with the LP playing off your PC :colbert:

Wait, it can do multi-displays like that? Like an overlay? Holy poo poo :aaa: I sure didn't see THAT function on the menu bar! I may need to look into that!

(My complaint about the loving RCA-compatible audio in-jacks stands though, Delllllll :argh: )