Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that seriously owns why the hell are you a lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Red Bean Juice posted:

Is anybody going to the Tenenbaum oral argument before the First Circuit Monday? Seems like it'd be a good way to get some nerdlaw cred in.

Also, where once there was but a ball of anxiety and rejection e-mails, there is a new comic

This can't be hidden away at the end of the last page like that! It's too great!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Awesome comic, shared it with a bunch of classmates.

My second year seminar prof told me today that the 35 pages I wrote for my first draft are garbage and I need to start all over. gently caress law school, go enlist in the military instead.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Red Bean Juice posted:

Also, where once there was but a ball of anxiety and rejection e-mails, there is a new comic

If people still handed out paper resumes, you could print this comic on the backside of yours for any non-white-shoe-stick-up-its-rear end firm. Seriously.

At least have a line at the bottom of your resume that says:
"Interests: I draw awesome legal cartoons. http://www.iamfuckingcool.com"

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Tokelau All Star posted:

Awesome comic, shared it with a bunch of classmates.

My second year seminar prof told me today that the 35 pages I wrote for my first draft are garbage and I need to start all over. gently caress law school, go enlist in the military instead.

If it makes you feel any better I'm about two weeks away from being told the same thing.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Red Bean Juice, I love it.

I signed up for Tax and got the second-to-last spot. Thanks for the input, everybody; I'm really looking forward to it.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

mrtoodles posted:

At least have a line at the bottom of your resume that says:
"Interests: I draw awesome legal cartoons. http://www.iamfuckingcool.com"

Actually, I do have something to that effect, and I get asked about it a lot in interviews. Maybe that's why I've never been on a callback?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sulecrist posted:

Red Bean Juice, I love it.

I signed up for Tax and got the second-to-last spot. Thanks for the input, everybody; I'm really looking forward to it.

What school do you go to, again?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

entris posted:

What school do you go to, again?

Duke!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Ugh I want them to announce what classes are being offered next semester so I can plancastinate.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sulecrist posted:

Duke!

http://www.law.duke.edu/lib/lresources/bna

Click on "BNA Tax Management Portfolios Plus" and log in using your duke netID.

The BNA tax portfolios are a fantastic starting point when trying to learn a new area of tax law. The portfolios are practice-oriented, so they won't help you learn tax policy, but they will help you learn how the rules work.

For your JD class, you'll probably want to focus on the portfolios under the heading "Income, Deductions, Credits and Computation of Tax" - specifically:

Portfolio 501-3rd Gross Income: Overview and Conceptual Aspects (this is one of the few portfolios that may help understand policy rationales as well as basic rules).
Portfolios 502, 503, 504, and 505
Portfolio 530 (depreciation)

Now that I think about it, you should grab the syllabus for your tax class, then cross-reference the syllabus topics with the right portfolios. Then you will know which portfolios are worth reading up.

Your library probably has paper copies of these as well, which may be easier to flip through.

I love the portfolios - they explain things clearly and directly, they usually have examples, and they have references to cases, rev rulings, rev procs, and PLRs. Very useful starting point. I took my C Corp tax exam without studying at all or attending class; I opened up the C Corp portfolios in the background on my computer, and went hunting for the answers during the exam, and I did just fine. I wouldn't recommend that method, but that's how good the portfolios are.

Most JD people try to learn out of the casebook or by reading the Code and regs. The Code and regs can be helpful, certainly, but I find that starting with the right BNA portfolio is the easiest way to get your arms around a new tax topic.

entris fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 1, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Thank you! This looks really useful.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

The Warszawa posted:

Ugh I want them to announce what classes are being offered next semester so I can plancastinate.

This is especially a nightmare when applying for clinics.

"You must take x course as a pre- or co-requisite with this clinic."

"But... but... the clinic applications are due long before you even announce the registration periods for next year..." :psyduck:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

AKMoose posted:

This is especially a nightmare when applying for clinics.

"You must take x course as a pre- or co-requisite with this clinic."

"But... but... the clinic applications are due long before you even announce the registration periods for next year..." :psyduck:

To be fair, like none of our clinics are like that and I'm currently in a class with the prof who does the selection for the clinic I really want to take. I just want to pick the other 3 classes too.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Got a reply to one of my articling applications that they got over 200 apps for a single spot and I'm not good enough to get an interview. Just a few months before the articling period starts and there's still hundreds of people looking for work :smith:

fruitpoops
May 11, 2006
fruitloops

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Got a reply to one of my articling applications that they got over 200 apps for a single spot and I'm not good enough to get an interview. Just a few months before the articling period starts and there's still hundreds of people looking for work :smith:

Jesus! I thought the Canadian law market was doing ok... And don't you go to Osgoode--one of the best law schools here?!

I'm hoping you're bottom quartile or something because drat...

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

fruitpoops posted:

Jesus! I thought the Canadian law market was doing ok...

Oh, no, it's doing poorly, just not as apocalyptically poorly as the American market, and without quite as much debt for students to deal with.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 30, 2013

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 20, 2017

mutism
Feb 17, 2011
Southern hemisphere 2L summer clerk angst time!

Eleven applications, three rejections, two interviews, one 'we don't know if we're recruiting this year, please contact later'. Ugh.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GregNorc posted:

So I accepted an offer to do a PhD to study infosec. Stipend, full tution, generous travel budget (which is nice since one of the main confences in my field is always held on a tropical island.)

Yet I keep reading this thread, wondering if I made the right choice. I think I might be slightly insane.
Congrats! If it makes it any easier, just bear in mind that three years after starting law school, your alternative reality self would be thinking about the opportunities in infosec, and wondering if you'd made the right choice in passing them up. Plus, in the alternative reality, you have an additional six figures of student debt.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

fruitpoops posted:

Jesus! I thought the Canadian law market was doing ok... And don't you go to Osgoode--one of the best law schools here?!

I'm hoping you're bottom quartile or something because drat...

B+ average, comfortably in the top half at least. I turned down an offer way back in August and that's looking like something of a bad move right now. I did have an interview recently that went really well, and there are other opportunities popping up every week so it's not all doom and gloom, but it's still pretty bleak.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

quote:

Aug. 4, 1868: Near the top of its ad, Yale Law School stated that "no preliminary examination" was required. Another draw: 11 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of holiday recess.

quote:

Sept. 27, 1870: Law school was also a different experience in the 19th century. After two years of study, Columbia graduates were admitted to the bar "without further examination."

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 30, 2013

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Stop posted:

Hey Columbia/NYU Guys,

I'm deciding between the two schools at this point.

I'm a huge lean towards NYU because I am definitely pursuing public interest and it seems that NYU provides a lot more support (both institutionally and in terms of student culture) towards that goal.

My impression of Columbia right now is that it's an extremely good school (perhaps better than NYU in terms of reputation), but that the majority of the focus is on becoming a pipeline to corporate law. My understanding was that the institutional support isn't as strong, and the student culture is definitely not as supportive.

I am a finalist for the Root-Tilden scholarship at NYU, but it's unlikely that I'll receive it. Even so, I think I'll get a larger scholarship from NYU.

Is there any reason that I should be considering Columbia at this point or is it a slam dunk pick for NYU? (I couldn't attend the Columbia ASW, so I might have a biased perspective)

If you're seriously between the two schools, visit Columbia. NYU knows what Columbia's "image" is, and knows that there's a lot of overlap between NYU admits and Columbia admits, and I think it's reasonable to infer that they target their ASW towards that overlap.

That said, if you get the scholarship, go to NYU.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Columbia > NYU.

Archilochos
Jul 14, 2008
One of my good friends does public interest at Columbia and pointed out that, while it's true the school sucks in terms of support (i.e. the petition drama this year), there are so few students that do it that there are actually a huge number of prestigious opportunities for public interest students with basically no competition. You just have to be prepared to take the initiative. She chose Columbia over Harvard and knowing the details of her resume I have to say it seems like she really made the right choice.

Something to think about.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I go to Columbia, am public interest, and do just fine. We may have a corporate reputation, but the folks who do go public interest are true believers and really care about what they do. Come on up and visit!

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Columbia and NYU are the same thing. The thing about public interest/corporate focus is utter bullshit.

Columbia's stats are better. If money is equal, go there. If not, go with the one that gives you more money.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I agree with what everyone else says, go wherever gives you more money.

Meadiator
Jun 21, 2005

You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal
While we're on the subject, what do you guys think about NYU and Chicago? I've been going back and forth between the two and thought I'd ask the internet before I just flipped a coin or something.

I have equivalent scholarships at both - $60K at Chicago, $50K baseline at NYU but $60K with qualifying public interest work the summer after 2L.

I know Chicago is higher ranked and has a stronger academic reputation, but the two are ranked #5 and #6 and NYU is in a really attractive location. Can anyone that's attended either school weigh in on the subject?

My impression is that this is mostly a blonde vs. brunette question. Am I missing anything?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

City-wise Chicago is better than New York so yeah.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Feces Starship posted:

Columbia and NYU are the same thing. The thing about public interest/corporate focus is utter bullshit.

Columbia's stats are better. If money is equal, go there. If not, go with the one that gives you more money.

when are we gonna get drunk in nyc

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

diospadre posted:

City-wise Chicago is better than New York so yeah.

This point cannot be disputed. Chicago is literally the heart and soul of America, dead centre in its geographical chest. New York is basically an armpit, with a chunk of the shoulder/Manhattan bitten off by a fish.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I didn't realize being in the middle of nowhere was an asset.

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

Its Miller Time posted:

I didn't realize being in the middle of nowhere was an asset.

You're right, USA is nowhere~

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Red Bean Juice, please never stop making law comics. And when you finally become a judge with your shiny Harvard JD, please let me litigate in front of you so you can lay down an Order of Judgment that's purely in law comic format.

With that said, I'm going to go hit up these two new updates for Deadly Premonition LP. Saturday Night Thug Life.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Green Crayons posted:

With that said, I'm going to go hit up these two new updates for Deadly Premonition LP. Saturday Night Thug Life.

You know, it's stupid, I actually bought and finished the game because of that LP, and I still look forward to updates. The dude's just good I guess.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Meadiator posted:

While we're on the subject, what do you guys think about NYU and Chicago? I've been going back and forth between the two and thought I'd ask the internet before I just flipped a coin or something.

I have equivalent scholarships at both - $60K at Chicago, $50K baseline at NYU but $60K with qualifying public interest work the summer after 2L.

I know Chicago is higher ranked and has a stronger academic reputation, but the two are ranked #5 and #6 and NYU is in a really attractive location. Can anyone that's attended either school weigh in on the subject?

My impression is that this is mostly a blonde vs. brunette question. Am I missing anything?

Keep in mind that with identical scholarships, Chicago will be a bit cheaper because of a lower cost of living and slightly lower tuition. But the difference is small enough that it's up to personal preference. So this post is useless, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Do we just have an exceptionally bright group of goons this year or are all the ones considering bad schools refusing to post?