Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I just spent quite a lot of time cautiously felting it. No change in size so far. Despite 3 sessions of hot water soak, 15 minutes the last time, with some mild agitation, the wool is barely felting. Even where it has felted it doesn't seem any smaller. I was using my blowdryer to try to see what the dried product will look like. Maybe there will be a miracle and it will shrink while it finishes drying overnight.

I am going to give felting another, more aggressive, shot tomorrow, but this is so discouraging!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

omgmypony posted:

I was putting some clothes away at my grandmother's house and found a huge (HUGE!) ball of homespun wool. It's all itchy and irregular and very, very primitive looking. There's even little bits of debris in the wool here and there. I confiscated it for myself (my grandmother doesn't actually knit or crochet) but I'm not sure what to do with it. It's definitely ugly, but I think it has a certain charm. Is there any type of project that is suited towards yarn like this? I'm still new to knitting.
Sounds like good stuff to make things like homemade placemats out of. (Dye to whatever colour you prefer after finished.)
Like to learn new skills? Macrame a new plant pot holder.
Have kids? Get some photo frames from the dollar store and glue swirly shapes onto them to be painted/glittered.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

I just spent quite a lot of time cautiously felting it. No change in size so far. Despite 3 sessions of hot water soak, 15 minutes the last time, with some mild agitation, the wool is barely felting. Even where it has felted it doesn't seem any smaller. I was using my blowdryer to try to see what the dried product will look like. Maybe there will be a miracle and it will shrink while it finishes drying overnight.

I am going to give felting another, more aggressive, shot tomorrow, but this is so discouraging!

I felted some slippers a little while ago and it took four trips through the washing machine (though I should note that I put them through with a full load of laundry each time because I'm cheap and refuse to run it solely for felting purposes). You need more than mild agitation.

Some people hand felt in a bucket of hot soapy water using a (brand new for obvious reasons) plunger. Plunge the poo poo out of it, then dunk it in some cold water. Just to give you an idea of the kind of agitation I'm talking about.

Felting is a very inexact science.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
When I felted my hats I did it in the kitchen sink. Used rubber gloves, turned the water up as hot as it would go, squirted some dishsoap into the hat and rubbed it as hard as I could. They felted perfectly.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Look Under The Rock posted:

When I felted my hats I did it in the kitchen sink. Used rubber gloves, turned the water up as hot as it would go, squirted some dishsoap into the hat and rubbed it as hard as I could. They felted perfectly.

I definitely did it as hot as I could tolerate, but I was gently swishing.

When I was blow drying it I was scrubbing the areas that weren't well felted, but I think it doesn't matter if it's out of the water.

Almost done with my palindrome scarf. As soon as I finish I'm allowed to go buy new yarn at the fancy yarn shop I just found. I wonder what I should make now that it's no longer bitterly cold?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

omgmypony posted:

I was putting some clothes away at my grandmother's house and found a huge (HUGE!) ball of homespun wool. It's all itchy and irregular and very, very primitive looking. There's even little bits of debris in the wool here and there. I confiscated it for myself (my grandmother doesn't actually knit or crochet) but I'm not sure what to do with it. It's definitely ugly, but I think it has a certain charm. Is there any type of project that is suited towards yarn like this? I'm still new to knitting.

Curtains

I saw a book the other day that had knitted curtains in it, and the branch of Oxfam (it's a charity/thrift shop) in Camden has knitted curtains for the changing room doors.

I'm telling you, knitted curtains are the next big thing!

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I have a bunch of old german lace patterns for knitted curtains. detailed to say the least!

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I feel really ill.

I got a copy of Tudor Roses. Not proud of how. And I started Katherine Howard.

Only one problem- there are two of page 102 and no page 103.

And there is, apparently, no library in the entire UK that has it. The nearest is in Denmark and they don't lend it internationally.

I am royally screwed.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Molly Bloom posted:

I feel really ill.

I got a copy of Tudor Roses. Not proud of how. And I started Katherine Howard.

Only one problem- there are two of page 102 and no page 103.

And there is, apparently, no library in the entire UK that has it. The nearest is in Denmark and they don't lend it internationally.

I am royally screwed.

If you can wait the possibly 2 weeks it may take for me to get it, I'll see if I can interlibrary loan it and scan page 103 for you. I can put the request in today; if our ILL lady can't find it, she'll let me know much sooner than 2 weeks from now, and I can let you know.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

FelicityGS posted:

If you can wait the possibly 2 weeks it may take for me to get it, I'll see if I can interlibrary loan it and scan page 103 for you. I can put the request in today; if our ILL lady can't find it, she'll let me know much sooner than 2 weeks from now, and I can let you know.

You are quite possibly the best person in the whole wide world at this moment in time.

If you could, that would be briiiiiilliant.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Molly Bloom posted:

You are quite possibly the best person in the whole wide world at this moment in time.

The request is in. They haven't processed it yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I know!

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

omgmypony posted:

You could make a useful bag (perhaps make a huge one and try to felt it afterwards), or a blanket to sit on in the garden or at the beach.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ugh. I'm knitting my first ever baby sweater and evidently I'm having some anxiety about it because I actually had a minor nightmare about it last night! I dreamed that I finished it and it was HUGE, like it would almost fit me huge. And in the dream it was light brown instead of navy blue for some reason, and I'd duplicate stitched baby blocks down one side of the front spelling out "nephew" for some goddamn reason (the baby is not my nephew, my nephew is ten and anyway that would be a weird thing to put on a sweater). Although I must say I did a beautiful job of duplicate stitching in the dream. Good job me.

It is rather difficult to size baby patterns isn't it? The kid is due sometime in the summer so I was shooting for first winter size, 3-6 months but a. the kid could be huge (his mom is pre-diabetic or something, and my sister in law had gestational diabetes and my nephew was goddamn enormous) and b. his parents are planning on moving from England to Australia sometime soonish so that would flip the seasons around!

I suppose babies need sweaters when they're inside cold air-conditioned buildings anyway...right?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Just make it toddler size. Babies don't need clothes that fit. They don't need to look good. They are small, squishy blobs that can get by on their chubby looks and don't need to impress with their fashion sense.

Don't mind me, I'm just cranky because I've nearly finished a jumper and spring has suddenly leapt into action, rendering it useless.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
But I already started it, see? I don't want to go back and make it even bigger. :)

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm just not really used to knitting for people who aren't me.

Sorry about the warm weather. I never thought about it but I guess it makes sense for me being a knitter - I'm also cold blooded. I can happily wear a wool sweater about 10 months a year.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
GAH I'm having issues getting gauge on this project and it's driving me bonkers, which is why I rarely do gauge specific patterns. I'm planning to make this cute baby hoodie and it's calling for 20 stitches and 24 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch.

I'm even using the suggested yarn but getting this: swatch on 7s: 17 stitches by 20 rows. swatch on 8s: 18 stitches by 24 rows and if I go up to a 9 I might get stitches proper but wrong rows...

So I'm thinking it'd be okay to use the 8s, but not sure...here's my reasoning tell me if I'm crazy: I have enough to make the 12 month size, so if its a few stitches off, it would end up fitting between 6-12 mo. Too many rows would make it too long right? But not enough stitches would be width which would be conductive to a better fit in the long run maybe? I don't even know if that's coming out right hah

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Row gauge is usually not nearly as important as stitch gauge. This is because most patterns will tell you something like "knit until piece measures x inches from cast on and then do the armholes" so if your row gauge is off you just end up knitting a few more or a few less rows and that accounts for it. I don't know if THIS pattern says that but seriously like 98% do.

Are you measuring gauge after blocking a swatch or just on the needles?

Either way I think you'll be fine if you're a little off.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
I hate knitting for babies, I always think that some poor knitting will cause the baby to suffocate itself or swallow a strand which in my mind also leads to suffocation.
I wouldn't worry about making a sweater for the baby if its getting warm, I believe the number one worry of mothers was if their child was warm or not. I lived on the equator and my mum still worried if I was warm enough..

Also, has anyone stumbled across any patterns that would make a quick/cute gift for a console gamer? I've got a Sackboy pattern i'll end up making at some point and some Link gauntlets.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I finished my Central Park Hoodie!

Thanks to the lovely link posted here on no-sew zippers it's also 100% sew-free (yay!). There are a few issues with it, like the hood being oddly small and tight, and as you can see the bottom of the zipper band pulls weirdly (I may see if reblocking helps at all) but this was an exercise in pattern modification, the most I've ever done, and the fact that it's a wearable garment makes this experiment a success!

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee
So I frogged my last socks and decided to go with these ones that bob linked me

Just finished them today and I really love them :)

I seem to have missed the discussion about dpns, but I'd like to chime in anyway.

I'm using knitpro metal dpns. They are only 10cms long so can only really be used for socks but once I got the hang of it and stopped stabbing myself in the palm of my hand with them I don't think I'd use anything else to knit with.

They are nickel plated and don't slip out of my work like my old aluminium ones did and don't bend or splinter like bamboo and because they are so small it's pretty quick moving from one needle to the next. Perfect sock needles really.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yay! I helped! Holy poo poo you knit fast, don't you? Or was that conversation longer ago than I remember?

They're awesome!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Those socks are so pretty. And you use such tiny needles! I usually stick to 7" ones, because I have largeish hands so have difficult not jabbing myself with the tiny ones.

Drei, that Central Park Hoodie is sweet. What sort of yarn did you use for it? It looks like some sort of tweed, but I'm curious which you used, and how it feels.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Drei posted:

I finished my Central Park Hoodie!

Thanks to the lovely link posted here on no-sew zippers it's also 100% sew-free (yay!). There are a few issues with it, like the hood being oddly small and tight, and as you can see the bottom of the zipper band pulls weirdly (I may see if reblocking helps at all) but this was an exercise in pattern modification, the most I've ever done, and the fact that it's a wearable garment makes this experiment a success!

Gorgeous! Nice job!!!

edit: you're at Sutro Baths too, aren't you (I think)? My favorite place. :)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Haha, yep, I love running around on what's left of the walls. I feel all explorer-y.

FelicityGS, the yarn is Kathmandu Aran by Queensland which is a tweedy wool with a bit of silk and cashmere. It was very slightly itchy to my skin (I'm fairly sensitive) but within a few days of wearing it it feels wonderfully soft.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Ooh Drei, I love that hoody!

I finished the jumper I designed from scratch! Yaaaaay!

And then I inflicted it on some friends-

People of Etsy, make your friends laugh before you take a photo of them, it looks so much better than a miserable Etsy boyfriend in a beanie.

oh, and here's the back:

I'm going to start a craft blog (tomorrow, I'm busy tonight) and put this up as my first pattern. Yaaaaaaay

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I demand to know what yarn that is made of, it's gorgeous! And major props for designing it yourself!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
It's called Marble Chunky by James C Brett and comes in these massive 200g balls for about £5. Okay, so it's 100% acrylic, but to me that means affordable enough to mess around with and machine washable, so I don't mind so much. The jumper did even use 3 full balls, I barely chipped into the last ball.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Molly Bloom posted:

Update: The book is here! I will try and have the pattern scanned tomorrow or Friday. Let me know an email or some such to contact you and send it along by. (I don't have PMs)

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

FelicityGS posted:

Update: The book is here! I will try and have the pattern scanned tomorrow or Friday. Let me know an email or some such to contact you and send it along by. (I don't have PMs)

You rock! I am modgonne at aol.com.

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Holy poo poo you knit fast, don't you?

I'm blushing, I couldn't ask for a better compliment. But in reality im probably just an average knitter with a lot of time.

The spring weather is starting to mock me also.

Maybe it's time to buy lots of cotton

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009
I am currently working on this swallowtail shawl. Does anyone have any idea on how to make the nupps easier to do? They are driving me mad. It doesn't help that I have scaled it down to make it a nice size for a 4 year old either >.<. I am sure my daughters nursery will appreciate the effort :p I am doing a few kids size shawl and a couple of adult ones for their summer fair.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Sitrus posted:

I am currently working on this swallowtail shawl. Does anyone have any idea on how to make the nupps easier to do? They are driving me mad. It doesn't help that I have scaled it down to make it a nice size for a 4 year old either >.<. I am sure my daughters nursery will appreciate the effort :p I am doing a few kids size shawl and a couple of adult ones for their summer fair.

If you have a crochet hook handy, this is a pretty easy way to make nupps.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Molly Bloom the scans have been sent. Let me know you got the email when you get a chance, and glad I could help!

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

FelicityGS posted:

Molly Bloom the scans have been sent. Let me know you got the email when you get a chance, and glad I could help!

I've got it and you are fab! Now the boy's Star Wars jumper's on hold again, to his disappointment.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Gently Used Coat posted:

If you have a crochet hook handy, this is a pretty easy way to make nupps.

:aaaaa: I don't know why, but that just made my day.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sitrus posted:

Does anyone have any idea on how to make the nupps easier to do?

When you're doing endless "K1, YO", MAKE THEM LOOSE. Crazy loose. Loose enough to put both needles through with wiggle room. I usually make a big rear end knit stitch, then hold it with my thumb while I do the YO, then I put the left needle through all the stitches in the nupp once the 'set up' is done, and even them all out, so they are the same length. You'll think it looks sloppy until you purl those fifty million stitches together in one go.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Finished the palindrome scarf!

I love it so much. It's getting warm here already, so god knows how long I can wear it, but I'm trying to convince myself I'm allowed to wear it indoors, without any jacket or sweater.

Clearly the next thing I make needs to be something I can wear constantly without looking like a weirdo!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

dopaMEAN posted:

Clearly the next thing I make needs to be something I can wear constantly without looking like a weirdo!

I recommend one of those one-sleeved half-sweaters!

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

I know just the thing.

The scarf came out great, by the way. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Gently Used Coat posted:

I know just the thing.

The scarf came out great, by the way. :)

That is awesome!

Also, I decided to give blocking a try tonight, so the scarf is resting right now. I think the edges are going to come out cleaner, so that'll be nice!