Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Tutu posted:

Does anyone know what that website where you put in word and it makes a cool domain name for you is called? like if you put in 'delicious' you'd get 'del.icio.us' or something

This?

http://www.namestation.com/

googled "how to make domain name".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Fig Newton posted:

This?

http://www.namestation.com/

googled "how to make domain name".

Not really. More like if you put in 'gnome' it would come out with 'gno.me' or 'gn.om/e' and tell you if those sub domains or country domains are available. There's a specific website that does it I just can't remember the name

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

Tutu posted:

Not really. More like if you put in 'gnome' it would come out with 'gno.me' or 'gn.om/e' and tell you if those sub domains or country domains are available. There's a specific website that does it I just can't remember the name

http://xona.com/domainhacks/

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Bodhi Tea posted:

http://xona.com/domainhacks/

That's it, thanks!

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

marshmallard posted:

My friend's Mac laptop has a ludicrously shiny screen. Is there some kind of plastic sheet or something I can buy to stick on it so it's not so shiny? I'm envisaging some sort of sticky-backed plastic sheet that mattifies, but I can't seem to find one.

Check out this site. Unfortunately, they only make anti-glare for desktop monitors, but it looks like the Privacy and Protection screens have the matte type finish that you're looking for. Obviously the privacy filter completely destroys the viewing angle, so its probably not the best option.

You can also try Googling variations of anti-glare screen covers - I tried "Laptop Ergonomics/Anti-Glare screen" and didn't really get much though.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 31, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I would like to meet the guy that decided giving LCD screens a gloss finish was a good idea and slap him silly.

Seriously. Why?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Mak0rz posted:

I would like to meet the guy that decided giving LCD screens a gloss finish was a good idea and slap him silly.

Seriously. Why?

I've heard that they're clearer; when a screen has a matte finish, it has to (by virtue of the texture) scatter some of the light, dimming the screen. However, you have to deal with the reflection, and I see no justification for a glossy finish on a laptop screen - really, we're supposed to find the one spot in the coffee shop that doesn't reflect a light? But if you have a home theater where you can control the lighting and no windows shining on it, it might be a good idea. However, most people sometimes watch TV with lights on, and don't have a mancave in which to hoard it, so it seems to me that glossy screens are at best a niche product.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My boyfriend and I are boring people who don't like sunshine and we have a lot of fun just sitting and talking or watching internet tv or top gear or playing games or sometimes i cook and he "helps" or we bother the cats or we do my laundry and amazingly it's not actually that tedious because we like each other and having each other's company is the important part. Right now he is trying to teach me to play minecraft.

Take up rock climbing or roller skating or going to museums or going on historic train rides or to zoos or walking around in the woods and counting cool rocks or read a book together or have a picnic or go on a bike ride or do all of these things once in a while instead of one of them all the time. I have no attention span either (I don't even buy albums because I do not give a gently caress) and yet somehow my life is not terrible!

So there is more than one of us!

Those things are all great, and we definitely do them all, but they're generally day time activities. For some reason we can't find anything to do at night that doesn't involve eating food. Ironically we do live in a big city (LA), but especially on the weekdays, the city shuts down around 10pm. Since I work weekends it's a little more difficult.

quote:

Seriously though, you need to find something that really truly interests you and you alone and let your partner figure out what they like. It's not uncommon for 2 people in a relationship to be totally into completely different things. If you both meet halfway on something that's just OK for both of you then neither of you are really happy.

I realize I'm making her sound like a fun vampire; she isn't...like I said we can stay busy all day, Furthermore, even the things I mentioned are not awful, we do them happily, I was just curious if there was some other big thing people do at night socially. In the 50's, I guess it would've been sitting in your car at a diner and loving around with your friends or going to a drag race in the aqueduct. The equivalent of that.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Seriously. Why?

OOOOOOOHHH Shiny! I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it

How much how much how much how much how much how much?

It was a marketing decision rather than an engineering decision.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I was just curious if there was some other big thing people do at night socially.

Bowling is very big in some parts of the world.

Also, bingo. And not necessarily "gambling bingo"--many bingo halls and many VFW, Elks, Moose sponsor fundraising bingo nights for various school and civic groups.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

greazeball posted:

OOOOOOOHHH Shiny! I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it

How much how much how much how much how much how much?

It was a marketing decision rather than an engineering decision.

They look brighter in the right light.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Mak0rz posted:

Seriously. Why?

YES. I had to buy a business laptop from Dell just to get the matte screen. None of the major companies seem to be producing laptops with matte screens for consumers anymore.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Liface posted:

YES. I had to buy a business laptop from Dell just to get the matte screen. None of the major companies seem to be producing laptops with matte screens for consumers anymore.

One of my courses require me to digitize insect wings. Hundreds of them. It's near impossible to do in a well-lit room without getting serious eyestrain, and I can't turn the lights off until everyone leaves the lab. :argh:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Lenovo Thinkpads have matte options still, right? Those are pretty good.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I was just curious if there was some other big thing people do at night socially. In the 50's, I guess it would've been sitting in your car at a diner and loving around with your friends or going to a drag race in the aqueduct. The equivalent of that.

People go to clubs or bars and they listen to music and drink and/or take drugs and possibly dance. Seriously, how do you not know about this?

Or if you do a lot of poo poo during the day, you just stay in and unwind.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
You can always do the stuff you normally do, but with friends. Invite them over, or go to their place. If you don't have many friends available for this, engage in activities where you'll meet more.

Question of my own: can anyone recommend me any good, free online games that have city or castle building and defense gameplay? Something like Age of Empires or Sim City. I found this fun little zombie game called Rebuild where you have to retake a city block by block, train your people, defend against invaders and so forth, but I've played it to death and I'm looking for something new.
http://twotowersgames.com/games/rebuild-zombie

Unfortunately that site doesn't seem to have any more games quite like that.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 1, 2011

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is probably a very silly question, but does uploading stuff hinder download speeds with DSL?

I always worked under the assumption that your provider's advertised speed was an either or thing, like 6Mb/1Mb would be 6Mb download OR 1Mb upload but not at the same time. Am I right on that, or can you download AND upload at those speeds at the same time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It does, and it does with every other type of connection, too.

Every one-way transfer involves a very small amount of data being sent in the other direction, to confirm to the sending system that the connection is still working and it's ready for more. If your upload is already maxed out and you start a download, your computer will not be able to request data from the server as fast as it normally can, so the download will go slower.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why is cat piss so much more pungent than the urine of other animals? I can smell the neighbour's apartment. :gonk:

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Your neighbor probably just doesn't ever clean his/her litter box and lets the cat piss all over the apartment as a result of having a full litter box.

You definitely should not be able to smell animal urine through a wall.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

what happens when you don't pay a parking ticket

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

wigtrade.cc posted:

what happens when you don't pay a parking ticket

Usually a higher fine and eventually an arrest warrant.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Violence Gang posted:

Usually a higher fine and eventually an arrest warrant.

Yeah, the general rule is to always pay tickets no matter how unfair you think they are. They will never go away and will always escalate in consequences until you pay them.

If you don't want to pay it, the best (and only) thing you can do is schedule a time to go before a judge to ask for a reduced fine or to have it thrown out.

The GTA3 guy
Feb 24, 2005
gahooga
Is PartitionMagic still the best program for creating/deleting/modifying partitions? Due to viruses and trojans and formats and reinstalls my Windows 7 installion is in the smaller partition, so I'd like to transfer most gigs from the larger one to the smaller one.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Danger Mahoney posted:

This is probably a very silly question, but does uploading stuff hinder download speeds with DSL?

I always worked under the assumption that your provider's advertised speed was an either or thing, like 6Mb/1Mb would be 6Mb download OR 1Mb upload but not at the same time. Am I right on that, or can you download AND upload at those speeds at the same time?
Modems and routers are designed to send traffic both ways, so you'll be lucky if you do hit 6Mb download AND 1Mb upload at the same time. Most times, you'll hit the 1 Mbps upload limit with no problem, but download at 4 or 5 Mbps at the same time.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I paid :10bux: to change my google voice #, it now uses the new # + the old one for 90 days. is there a way to immediately shut off the old #? Can't find a good answer to this.

Google voice would be awesome for me to use as intended since I have many more #s than I'd like but I can't leave it actively forwarding since my GV # must be wrote on the shitter walls at a bar or something, I get late night drunk calls. (it's all men, don't trip over your dick trying to snatch up my old #).

Edit: Nigerians too, don't know how I forgot them. Had GV more than a year and they still call. Can't understand them but they sound pissed, maybe they wired their royal fortune to some guy that had that #.

I would gently caress with them but when one of my countrymen has already made one of your countrymen pose with a little girl's umbrella and an "it's raining men" sign there's really nowhere for one to go from there.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 2, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Can anyone help me find an article about a guy who had an endless appetite and ate a baby? I remember this article well but can't find it anywhere. I think it was even on wikipedia. It was from like the mid 1800s, he was in an army but had to leave because he was starving. He was put into a hospital and a baby went missing, people thought he ate it. He ate everything and ate constantly. I think he ate a spoon once and the article said that even after the autopsy, "the spoon was never found" or something like.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hayden. posted:

Can anyone help me find an article about a guy who had an endless appetite and ate a baby? I remember this article well but can't find it anywhere. I think it was even on wikipedia. It was from like the mid 1800s, he was in an army but had to leave because he was starving. He was put into a hospital and a baby went missing, people thought he ate it. He ate everything and ate constantly. I think he ate a spoon once and the article said that even after the autopsy, "the spoon was never found" or something like.

YES. I was looking for this recently too.

It was a French urban legend about a guy named "Tarrere" or something. I'm pretty sure it isn't true, it seems way out there and doing some research about it turns up nothing, but it was a loving weird and interesting read.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrare

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
YES! Thank you!

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Does anyone know of a good browser based version of Zork? I can't seem to find any good ones on Google.

Tostito fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 2, 2011

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Your neighbor probably just doesn't ever clean his/her litter box and lets the cat piss all over the apartment as a result of having a full litter box.

You definitely should not be able to smell animal urine through a wall.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that's what's happening; she's kind of a pig at the best of times. I was wondering, though, what is it about feline metabolism or whatever that makes their urine smell so much worse than that of other species.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The GTA3 guy posted:

Is PartitionMagic still the best program for creating/deleting/modifying partitions? Due to viruses and trojans and formats and reinstalls my Windows 7 installion is in the smaller partition, so I'd like to transfer most gigs from the larger one to the smaller one.

Windows 7 (and Vista) can resize partitions on the fly through disk management. You don't need any other software.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Drimble Wedge posted:

Oh, I'm pretty sure that's what's happening; she's kind of a pig at the best of times. I was wondering, though, what is it about feline metabolism or whatever that makes their urine smell so much worse than that of other species.

Cats are desert animals, and as such they are extremely efficient at concentrating their urine to reduce water loss.

What you're smelling is ammonia. It's not that cat's pee has it and other animals' don't, it's just that it's super concentrated in cat urine.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thank you, that makes sense.

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010
This seemed like it was something that could be answered easily so I'll ask:
I've been curious about how addresses get messed up in records, like down at the post office, etc I only ask because I recently got mail from AAA addressed to someone, but the address was 3 xxx Ave, and I live at 5. 3 on my street is technically my side yard, it's zoned for a house but is just some grass and my shed. After my house and yard is a park, I live on a dead end so there's no 3 in existence.

Also, last year a friend and I decided to deliver Verizon's phone books to make extra money. We chose a route in Allston, MA by Boston University. They gave us a list of addresses of places that needed phone books and also a print out of a map. Many of the streets that we needed to deliver too had different names that on our map, and a lot of the addresses just didn't exist. We went into what we thought was #1 on a street, and it ended up being the BU police station, they told me the place we were looking for didn't exist.

I would've assumed the letter was just some easily made office mistake but it seems weird that 3 on my street gets picked, the second I don't get.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tostito posted:

Does anyone know of a good browser based version of Zork? I can't seem to find any good ones on Google.

http://www.portablequest.com/default.aspx

Made for use on the Kindle, but works fine in a normal browser.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Thank you very much, although that appears to be a "mini-zork" version with abridged descriptions, locations, puzzles and stuff. This will do for now though, thanks.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I use Outlook web app, and anytime I open up an attachment from an email and save it on my computer it disappears into some gaping computer maw and I can never, ever find the file again. Where does it go?

Problem solved, it goes to Users -> Me -> LocalApp -> Temp

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 3, 2011

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

Red Crown posted:

I use Outlook web app, and anytime I open up an attachment from an email and save it on my computer it disappears into some gaping computer maw and I can never, ever find the file again. Where does it go?

I have Windows 7, for me when I download from the web app it goes to the downloads folder, above documents, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Just a quick technical question that has been bugging me lately...

About 10 years ago the average CPU speed was 800Mhz-1Ghz. How come it was impossible to make CPUs of today's speed back then? Speeds have almost tripled haven't they? I don't really understand what technological breakthrough occurred which has made this possible. Thanks.