Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Rogue posted:

Cool, thanks. Is there an IRC chat where some of you idle? I don't want to hog the thread with a load of newbie questions.

Couple more: are there some cheap CHA earrings/rings I can get? What's the best first suit of platemail to get (quested? bought?) Do people buy items made with baking tradeskills (if I made +stats food and listsold it)?

irc.shardsofdalaya.com #goonsquad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future

Rogue posted:

Cool, thanks. Is there an IRC chat where some of you idle? I don't want to hog the thread with a load of newbie questions.

Couple more: are there some cheap CHA earrings/rings I can get? What's the best first suit of platemail to get (quested? bought?) Do people buy items made with baking tradeskills (if I made +stats food and listsold it)?

The SoD Wiki should have information on items and whatnot. You can probably get someone to make you some earrings/rings with jewelcrafting on the cheap. For plate, it depends on whether you're a cleric or a tank. Presuming that you're a tank, I believe mithril is the best if you're under 30 and warpmetal after that (they are crafted). For clerics, it's dalium and ghostmetal. You would want to check the listsold system first, since often there are drops that are better for a particular slot that will sell for less than the crafted items you might get.

For stat foods, I think people only buy the expensive and powerful foods, but I could be wrong. Personally I never wasted time with stat food.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Bandwidth Wagon posted:

The SoD Wiki should have information on items and whatnot. You can probably get someone to make you some earrings/rings with jewelcrafting on the cheap. For plate, it depends on whether you're a cleric or a tank. Presuming that you're a tank, I believe mithril is the best if you're under 30 and warpmetal after that (they are crafted). For clerics, it's dalium and ghostmetal. You would want to check the listsold system first, since often there are drops that are better for a particular slot that will sell for less than the crafted items you might get.

For stat foods, I think people only buy the expensive and powerful foods, but I could be wrong. Personally I never wasted time with stat food.

Any goons have jewelcrafting skill and can make +CHA rings and 1 earring? I can offer about 10pp...and some chocolate bars.

I found some quests on the wiki for 'antique' platemail that seem manageable, I'll do that while I'm saving money for mithril. I'm playing a bard, by the way.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

What's your in-game name? I'll send you some stuff next time I'm on. And if you haven't already been invited to GS, speak up so someone can tag you.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

tmills posted:

What's your in-game name? I'll send you some stuff next time I'm on. And if you haven't already been invited to GS, speak up so someone can tag you.

It's 'Minnabee', I got invited about a week ago. I'll be playing tonight, hope to chat with you, thanks!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Rogue posted:

It's 'Minnabee', I got invited about a week ago. I'll be playing tonight, hope to chat with you, thanks!

It was fun helping you find that stupid rotting corpse in the badlands :P

Also I got my first ancient spell... and it happened to be the upgraded version of Torpor :3

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Stealthgerbil posted:

It was fun helping you find that stupid rotting corpse in the badlands :P

Also I got my first ancient spell... and it happened to be the upgraded version of Torpor :3

Nice! Yeah, I could have kited him and the other guy I needed, but everything in that zone was red and KoS and I was getting adds every time.

It was pretty funny watching those Newport Guards chase you, if they knew you could prob eat them up in a few spells they might decide against it :)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Thinking of giving this another shot.. what's the state of enchanters in the game right now, if anyone plays one regularly? I've heard they are unnecessary because people grind on easy poo poo and are mostly buff-bots for raids, but is that the extent of it? Is crowd control desirable for small-group challenging content like dungeons? Or do people mostly just not bother? I played an enchanter in EQ years ago enjoyed my time in the holy trinity, but I'd hate to suffer levelling one again just to find that we're expected to be a half-rear end dps class with buffs.

Also, if I do start levelling one, what class would be good to dual-box? Paladin/SK for the self-heals tank? Mage for the pet tank? I assume the enchanter pet is as useless as ever, and I really don't think I'd care to charm-solo or even charm-duo with healer backup. Too many bad memories of charm break turning into a corpse run. Well.. maybe with a druid to snare the pet..

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

My experience with enchanters is a little dated but here's how things used to be and are likely still. Enchanters get a very powerful short duration melee buff that makes them very helpful on raids. Other than that, I think they cast tash and that's probably about it. For groups, most of the places I went at 65 didn't require CC and I spent a fair amount of time AE tanking with my paladin. Generally the need for CC diminishes with gear, though there are some places that are hard enough to require it (cmal comes to mind). So you wont really be needed in places that people tend to grind for AAs/Tomes but there are some high-end six-man dungeons where you can get raid-comparable gear where CC will be useful.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Bandwidth Wagon posted:

My experience with enchanters is a little dated but here's how things used to be and are likely still. Enchanters get a very powerful short duration melee buff that makes them very helpful on raids. Other than that, I think they cast tash and that's probably about it. For groups, most of the places I went at 65 didn't require CC and I spent a fair amount of time AE tanking with my paladin. Generally the need for CC diminishes with gear, though there are some places that are hard enough to require it (cmal comes to mind). So you wont really be needed in places that people tend to grind for AAs/Tomes but there are some high-end six-man dungeons where you can get raid-comparable gear where CC will be useful.

This. But if you want to go enchanter definitely do it, because we'll reluctantly bring you along and make you box someone. And generally the box will outweigh the limited enchanter dps.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Null1fy posted:

This. But if you want to go enchanter definitely do it, because we'll reluctantly bring you along and make you box someone. And generally the box will outweigh the limited enchanter dps.

What are the general feelings on bards, asking the same question? Do people seek them out for raid/exp groups?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Bards are always desirable and are pretty cool.

Enchanters also can control their pets just like a regular pet now. Plus they get awesome mana regen spells like Jaylas Boon which is pretty much essential for any raid.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Well, I'll probably have a go at ENC regardless I guess. I'm more concerned about single-group content than raids, ENC were always pretty useless in raids except as buffbots and the occasional mob that would need to be mezzed for 30 minutes while the raid dicked around fighting a boss. I just had so much fun in dungeon groups playing with pullers who weren't afraid to go nuts and pull a gently caress-ton of mobs for no good reason than to make grinding more challenging / less boring. The first time I tried SoD I went with a monk/shm combo because I remember that being overpowered as hell for dual-boxing dungeons, but goddamn if it's not boring most of the time. And EQ is best experienced with a group, not alone.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

I've got a quest question - for Ilmer the Skald's 3rd quest out of Newport here, you have to go to the Oasis and kill desert orc mystics and loot 2 ritual knives. These guys are fairly tough but at level 19/20 I can solo them. However, on the quest page on the wiki, it says required level: 15 or less. I've killed maybe 20 mystics and not seen one of the knives drop - is it not dropping because my level is too high or is it just a low % drop and I need to keep killing them?

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Rogue posted:

I've got a quest question - for Ilmer the Skald's 3rd quest out of Newport here, you have to go to the Oasis and kill desert orc mystics and loot 2 ritual knives. These guys are fairly tough but at level 19/20 I can solo them. However, on the quest page on the wiki, it says required level: 15 or less. I've killed maybe 20 mystics and not seen one of the knives drop - is it not dropping because my level is too high or is it just a low % drop and I need to keep killing them?

I was never able to finish that quest on my bard either. I don't think I ever saw a knife drop. I eventually stopped trying because the instrument augs don't do much on the high end.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

There is a patch!!! Who knows what is going to change but they took the servers down :(

Also raiding the Rust is a pretty fun raid :P

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I am looking for some more cool places to exp at (<100 AA) 65. I've tried

Sorc Labs- basement was great, lots of easy pulls and plenty of nameds for cashmoney, but some of the trash went LB after 63 and the mana-draining castle isn't the most efficient thing with an SK tanking.
Crystal Caverns- gemdudes are real good exp, but have the most obnoxious loot in the universe. Dwarves are just 'okay'.
Tower of Frozen Shadow- uh, neat to explore, but we never found any nameds- I guess because they're all raid mobs? That you trigger somehow? Anyways we cleared the golems with way too many hitpoints and died instantly to djinni on floor F(?) oops.
EW orcs- seemingly permanently camped. lots of unguilded 500+ AA zombie accounts here, I assume powering adventuring band alts
Elds courtyard- also usually camped.
MielC- Frogtown. I love this place. Seems hard to get people to want to come here, though. Lots of wings so groups don't step on each other.

How about Ikisith? I've been getting my rear end kicked in The Murk doing the Gruplok quests, but I'm sure there are some good entry-level 6 man exp spots if you can get over the lack of MoP, and the wiki isn't very well organized with this content. I'd also like to try Fire Grotto and The Deepshade etc. at some point but don't know if these zones are designed with people already in raid gear in mind.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

Fire Grotto is similar to MielC in terms of difficulty, though the layout of the actual zone and mob placement may make it more difficult. You might also look into the Rust. Good exp there and good loot and should be doable at your experience level so long as you don't try to go into the factory. Cmal is also great experience and money if it's up, even if you don't need the gear. You could probably do the first part relatively easily, though I hear the difficulty of the place has gone up, so the second and third parts might not be doable. You might go there to do the trash even if the bosses aren't up, just for the exp/money.

I would note also that treasure maps are halfway decent experience and if you buy them cheaply, the VE/Easy maps have good returns. If you can use the gear, great, if not, you can use the money for upgrades. If you need the gear from moderates, they can return around 600 platinum, so they can be a fairly neutral investment. Difficult maps and above I probably wouldn't bother with unless you need to gear, since they rarely return as much money as you'll need to pay for one.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I'm in agreement that MielC is a great zone with a bad location. They need to implement either an overworld access point, or an obtainable port-key item, because compared to other exp zones, it takes at least 2 or 3 times longer to get to.

A decent exp zone to add to your list is Remnants. You can pull non-aggressive, non-social gators, non-stop, for easy exp. It can also accommodate more than one group pretty comfortably.

An another alternative exp location to consider is Kedge Keep. It's not the best zone to exp in, but the awfulness of being a water zone with semi hard-hitting mobs is partially offset by its 40% exp zone bonus and it nearly always being empty.

Clockwerk fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 23, 2011

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

tmills posted:

I'm in agreement that MielC is a great zone with a bad location. They need to implement either an overworld access point, or an obtainable port-key item, because compared to other exp zones, it takes at least 2 or 3 times longer to get to.

A decent exp zone to add to your list is Remnants. You can pull non-aggressive, non-social gators, non-stop, for easy exp. It can also accommodate more than one group pretty comfortably.

An another alternative exp location to consider is Kedge Keep. It's not the best zone to exp in, but the awfulness of being a water zone with semi hard-hitting mobs is partially offset by its 40% exp zone bonus and it nearly always being empty.

I had forgotten about kedge, I used to love that place. If you go, BRING ROGUES. They will assassinate targets there (one of the few places you can get good exp and also have mobs low enough to assassinate).

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Well that's something awesome that I didn't know before. Too bad our guild doesn't have an active mained rogue right now.

Two other locations for your consideration, Siren's Grotto (WW side), and Dragon Necropolis. I wouldn't say that they're better than any of the previously mentioned places, but you can get to them fast with a druid and they're usually not overcrowded.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

Siren's Grotto isn't bad, though I haven't spent much time there. I never got very good exp doing dragon necropolis myself.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Kedge with a paladin is pretty darn awesome.
I love big pulls there.

I might dust Ruach sometime soon.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

tmills posted:

Dragon Necropolis.

Ugh. I've spent more time in there than I care to think about. One day I'll get that loving breastplate.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Been 50 posts since I poked my head in here.

Anyone have good ideas for the new banner ads?

Also a non boxed enchanter is hugely more powerful than a boxed one now that there are different kins, curses, etc to cast. A good enchanter in a raid with his first runic can easily outDPS all other Int casters dpeending on fight time and stats.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Does anyone have enough blacksmithing skill to make Warpmetal weapons? I'm looking for a short sword and a mace (12/24 +3 mag damage).

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Getting that runic, however, is basically impossible unless you invest a huge amount of time, and make a lot of friends.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Runic #1 is pretty easy once you hit 65 and around 500 aa's .. and for an enchanter even easier to get hatesfury groups because an enchanter is mandatory.

After hatesfury it took ~ 1 day to finish all the quests to get to the faction needed. Had all the quest pieces for it just from leveling.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Eh? You put Cixx through or something? Or do you mean when you put Adalus through? Because as far as I remember the archaic mez was pivotal.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Ah na those were just my stats heh max aa's and around T7ish. Enchanter need similar stats for there, its not an easy zone, but every group that goes through needs an enchanter.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Went on my first miniraid today, we killed 3 adepts (mid-30's), and picked up a http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Lance_of_Decay for my SK. Pretty nice, I like the Adept implementation, especially the way the items improve over time so they don't get obseleted so fast. Look like it's gonna take quite a while to level this lance though, takes ~300k exp per level and 8 levels :( Ah well, something to look forward to at least.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Indecisive posted:

Went on my first miniraid today, we killed 3 adepts (mid-30's), and picked up a http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Lance_of_Decay for my SK. Pretty nice, I like the Adept implementation, especially the way the items improve over time so they don't get obseleted so fast. Look like it's gonna take quite a while to level this lance though, takes ~300k exp per level and 8 levels :( Ah well, something to look forward to at least.

a 50/45 isn't awful though for a shadowknight since they don't get soulfire.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Indecisive posted:

takes ~300k exp per level and 8 levels :( Ah well, something to look forward to at least.

Let's not overlook the fact that you have an item with an effect called "Stream of Maggots". :can:

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
We just decided to combine Rogues and Monks into a single class, the Hurter. Other big game changes are incoming today.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Holding my breath to see how the Sk / Necro merger turns out.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Tash posted:

We just decided to combine Rogues and Monks into a single class, the Hurter. Other big game changes are incoming today.

Any chance at combining Shadowknights and Paladins? Or Paladins and Clerics. Having High Priest's Bulwark/Rageo and being a Knight would rule.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Just chiming in to let potential newcomers know that the folks in Goon Squad are very helpful and nice to newbies (if not all that chatty).

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I'm the first gnome beastlord on the server woot woot.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

Do you keep whatever kind of pet you had before or did they give you a different one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Where can we get info on this update? I haven't played on this server in a long time but combing some classes to make other classes sounds interesting. I checked the site and nothing was listed.

I also want to know what pet a Gnome Beastlord would get. I hope to god its some kind of beetle or clockwork or a clockwork beetle.

• Locked thread