Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quills
Mar 24, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

Thats crazy to me.

Carl was actually the one character in this book who I thought would NEVER die. In fact I thought Rick was going to kick the bucket and the book would follow Carl as he grew up.
I mean he could just end up withone eye and half his skull. It'd be interesting to see how that effects how Rick deals with the walkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomad_450
Apr 12, 2009
Sweet Jesus.

This issue.

Just...drat. Where do you go from there? Christ...poor Carl. I really liked his character. I mean, I knew that it was coming (same for what'sherface) but--poo poo. Rick had better loving not kill himself. I will drop this book so fast..

Quills posted:

Carl surviving with half his head, in THIS book.

Yeah no, he's dead, Jim. ...:smith:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Anyone else think this is going to lead to Rick having to pull the plug on Carl? That'd be a real corner-turn in character development.

Could this be a lead in to a possible Rick heel turn? After all, he's been acting increasingly frayed at the edges, and something like this...

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Anyone else think this is going to lead to Rick having to pull the plug on Carl? That'd be a real corner-turn in character development.

Could this be a lead in to a possible Rick heel turn? After all, he's been acting increasingly frayed at the edges, and something like this...

I'm getting the vibe that Carl was dead from the moment he hit the ground. The 'thank god he's breathing' was all in Rick's imagination.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I personally think it is possible that Carl is savable. People can survive eye shots if it is at a fortunate angle. The eye is gone, and part of the skull next to it, but who knows how much of the apparent damage was also an artistic choice? Right now I'd not be shocked either way, surviving or dieing.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Darth Ronson posted:

I'm getting the vibe that Carl was dead from the moment he hit the ground. The 'thank god he's breathing' was all in Rick's imagination.

While that's the logical assumption i don't think thats what happened Carls facial expression has changed in the final panel, grimancing in pain say's still alive to me

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What the gently caress, Kirkman.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Holy Jesus this issue. I wonder if what happened to that congresswoman had any bearing on the nature of Carl's injury. I'd like to think that he'd recover only to be brain damaged, but that hole is way too big. You'd have to graft something over that. I bet Rick's going to wail on the doctor after she explains that he can't be saved, and then maybe he'll run away on his own, lamenting the worst leadership failure of his life.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Well. Holy poo poo. It's been a longtime since I felt so emotionally drained by this series.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

If he was going to die, I think he'd probably be dead. I'm expecting brain damage associated with a personality change and a badass half face mask or something. Carl's going to be the apocalyptic Phineas Gage.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Matt Cruea posted:

pretty much although I have to say I no longer care who lives or dies. Kirkman's proven that he doesn't give a gently caress either so why should I?

also while the zombie scent masking was a good idea, does anyone else think that Rick rushing out to escape was out of character? At this point, even if he did want to escape, I don't think a hardened survivor would go out there without more of a plan. It seems Kirkman just wanted to off a bunch of characters.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Matt Cruea posted:

Word.

This issue seemed like a total clusterfuck. The out-of-character mad dash to get the hell out of Dodge combined with the multiple perspective changes and the WTF -- Carl?! ending leaves me wondering if they're gonna pull an "it was all just a dream" in the next issue.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Wow, just plain wow. I know there's been issues where people die, but this one had several characters die, not just random people, Morgan, Jessie, Ron, the congressman, and possibly Carl too.

I think Rick was justified in running out of there that fast, I mean they've never dealt with a herd like this at there doorstep before, maybe a few hundred at once at the prison, but this is a few thousand. I don't think Rick was justified in bringing anyone with him besides Carl though. The people in the town are just to soft, they haven't had to do what Rick et al. has done to survive, they just aren't cut out to be calm enough to walk through a swarm of zombies while covered in rotting flesh.

I hope Carl lives, just so I can watch Rick and Carl transform into utter ruthless bad asses like Michonne.

e: Also how hard is it to really pull the zombies away from the town, Andrea and Glenn just need to go 1-2 miles away, fire off some gun shots, run another mile or two away after some time, fire some more shot, and repeat the process until the herd leaves.

e2: why the hell is everyone using spoiler tags, the issue has been released for over 24 hours now

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 31, 2011

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

clockworkjoe posted:

pretty much although I have to say I no longer care who lives or dies. Kirkman's proven that he doesn't give a gently caress either so why should I?

also while the zombie scent masking was a good idea, does anyone else think that Rick rushing out to escape was out of character? At this point, even if he did want to escape, I don't think a hardened survivor would go out there without more of a plan. It seems Kirkman just wanted to off a bunch of characters.

I agree. It felt weird reading this issue, like it almost didn't really happen. What you said in your spoiler is dead on what I was thinking about an hour after the first read.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I could see someone surviving what happened to Carl, but in that environment with no equipment? Not a chance.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

E the Shaggy posted:

I could see someone surviving what happened to Carl, but in that environment with no equipment? Not a chance.

Maybe we'll get lucky, and they'll use some alien technology to fix him!

Oh I can only hope.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

Bluetooth human being posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky, and they'll use some alien technology to fix him!

Oh I can only hope.

Well, Carl and Kano do sound a bit alike when you think about it.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Wait, did a new issue come out on 3/30? I didn't see it in the list of things out this week and my shop only got a weekly issue.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
Some anecdotal input. When my dad was working in the ER, they picked up a guy who had tried to kill himself with a shotgun to the face. He did indeed fire, but when they got there he was still alive, albeit with much less of a face than usual. He survived to the hospital and in the hospital for a while, but later int he day he died.

I know it's not the same thing but I guess the human body can survive quite a lot. Personally I think Carl will die, but he might live enough to have a "I'm so sorry son" conversation with Rick. Maybe he'll bust out the phone again.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Action Serious posted:

Wait, did a new issue come out on 3/30? I didn't see it in the list of things out this week and my shop only got a weekly issue.

Apparently Image is pushing reprinted earlier issues way harder than new issues. Finding a copy of this current issue was like searching for the Ark of the Covenant. I got the very last copy from the very last local shop, and all of them said Image wasn't sending them enough to keep up with the demand.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Apparently Image is pushing reprinted earlier issues way harder than new issues. Finding a copy of this current issue was like searching for the Ark of the Covenant. I got the very last copy from the very last local shop, and all of them said Image wasn't sending them enough to keep up with the demand.

Does your local comic shop not have a box system? Similar to preordering? I never have problems getting comics I want.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

I'm honestly sticking to my guns with regard to an eventual shift towards making Carl the main character. Hickman's done great work with making him a true child of the apocalypse, and this entire series is about life in a doomed world. Hell, it could be the last story arc when he finally decides to end things - skip ahead however many years and show how life turned out with Carl as an adult. I could totally see the last issue of the series being a "Six Feet Under"-esque thing, where Carl remembers how every major character ends up biting it.

This arc has illustrated the limitations of Rick's stability, and Carl's growing up in a world that is preparing him as a survivor. We know he's willing to go further than any other character in the series to protect himself, and he's too interesting of a character to let go. The only other child left is Sophia, and we aren't going to lose a child's perspective. I guess Carl could be replaced by a rando from the village, but that's the only way we regain an [interesting] kid's point of view. I think it's more likely that Rick offs himself than Carl dying.

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 1, 2011

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Well, if there was someone not sending enough, it would be Diamond. Which would be believable because every week there is some missing poo poo in my LCS's delivery. This week it was Dollhouse. But I doubt it would be Image because I'm pretty sure Kirkman does a healthy overprint on The Walking Dead.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I sort of hope Carl dies from his gunshot wound, if for no other reason than to drive Rick further crazy. As long as Glen and Andrea are fine, i'm fine.

Also, why the hell are people spoiler tagging this? The issue is out...

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Any survival of that injury is going to come with serious handicaps to motor and intellectual function. Right now he's going into shock and his brain is swelling the gently caress up and there is no way to survive that kind of injury and live in a zombie apocalypse unless Kirkman is planning on pretending having zombies now means that all our knowledge of medical science is completely invalid.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Carl will end up being a zombie, but Rick refuses to let anyone kill him. It'll bite him on the rear end later when Carl organizes herds of zombies to eradicate the human race.

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet
The Governor was missing a hand and when his kid became a zombie, he let it live.

So what I'm saying is Rick will find a time machine and become a small-time despot in order to fulfill his own destiny.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
He's going to survive and he's going to get an eyepatch and it will be awful

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Remember Douglas' speech in 73, about a father eating his son's eyeballs? True evil, yada yada?

If Rick goes crazy, it could still happen.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Caught up on my issues, and seriously, what the gently caress?

Really, I thought Morgan was going to do so much more when they brought him back into the book. Certainly Kirkman didn't just bring him back for him to be semi-crazy background fodder and throw him in there to add to the death count! There's got to be an ace up Kirkman's sleeve!

...Oh.

I thought the whole 'Morgan knows Carl's secret' subplot a while back was interesting, but it seemed like it got dropped immediately. Sure, I guess that's the point of this book, anyone can go at any time even before their characters get a chance to be fleshed out, or before plots can get resolved, but it just seems so very formulaic now. 'Phew, we're safe. Oh no we're not safe! poo poo zombies ate all our background guys and b-list characters A, C, and G!' Anyone else finding themselves less enthused about the book these days?

What's going on with the cleaning house isn't all that shocking, but I admit I didn't see [har har] the Carl plot twist coming.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Not sure why anyone is surprised at this point. kirkman has been all about setting up really interesting plot points and then stomping them out completely before they even had a chance to grow.

Shane potentially(well, a given) the father of Judith and how that would effect Rick--- gently caress it, let's kill both his wife and child in a shocking turn of events.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If Carl dies, I'll probably drop this book. I've been looking for an excuse to thin out my monthlies anyway.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Rhaka posted:

Remember Douglas' speech in 73, about a father eating his son's eyeballs? True evil, yada yada?

If Rick goes crazy, it could still happen.

Actually, that was a throwaway reference to a real news story.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Sorry, i'm dropping this book, if he dies then the only character I care about that remains is Andrea, and if he lives then its just bullshit and i'm dropping it because of that.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Next issue is going to be like a five year timeskip and Carl with a metal plate in his head is leading an entirely new group of people.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Maybe the aliens will fix him right up.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I find it odd that people are willing to drop it now just because a flat character may or may not die, and not from the awful writing that preceded it for many issues. It's not the first time Kirkman has severed potentially interesting plot lines and character interaction, in fact the first one happened shortly after the comic even started. I, personally, have this strange fascination with the comic because I can't wait to see how much more ridiculous the story gets while at the same time seeing how Kirkman desperately flails to keep the cheap nihilism shocking and fresh by thinning his herd of characters who lack anything resembling distinguishing characteristics.

I think it's sort of like watching a train wreck except in Kirkman's case it's not a train but a burnt out cadillac propped up on cinder blocks filled with four drunk clones who speak only in monotone and due to wild movement, the cadillac slips off the blocks and lands in the dirt but the characters are too loving stupid to open the door that they instead fight tooth and nail to survive exposure and starvation only to, in the end, die because the springs in the seat puncture a vein of at least one clone and the rest are paralyzed with indecision, mouths gaping in abject horror. It's not like it mattered though, the car wanted to eat them anyway.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Comparing directly from the Prison Cull to this Suburb Cull, it shows a rather unfortunate lack of planning, and/or poor writing in general.

When people died at the prison I was actually surprised. Those were people who had at least some uniqueness or individuality. It was a shocking moment, but the comic feels like its mostly just been stuck after that.

This latest killing, it is very hard to care about anyone or anything that just occurred. Rick cut off a woman's hand to save his son (the woman he'd been sleeping with? Hard to tell everyone seems to look alike these days), but even that just felt empty or hollow. Why not linger even a moment longer on Rick's betrayal? How come the governor did not get to see he shot Carl and have a reaction too?

I feel like the comic has a workable frame but what Kirkman's been laying on top of it is just not at all what it could be.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Another big difference between this story arc and the prison arc is that there was quite a bit of build up leading to the final attack. Kirkman established that the governor was a crazy gently caress and had a large militia to back him. It made sense.

This arc seems to be coming out of nowhere - the zombies get in because of a single weakness in the wall and a bazillion zombies are in the gate almost instantly it seems. The number of characters being killed for this is a huge disappointment. They should be smarter by now when it comes to zombies at least.

I also really really hate the loving 'we can't shoot zombies because the noise will attract more zombies' plot point. If the zeds are inside the wall, then it's loving time to rock and roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
Even if they start shooting, there are too many to kill. Also, it's about time they got out of this place. Even if they aren't getting out, at least somethings happening. I just wonder how much longer he can make this go on. It really seems like it could be wrapping up soon, and really the only ending I would except is them all dying. When everyone turns into a zombie after death, there is no happy ending.

• Locked thread