Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm working a 4x10 schedule, so I work Mon/Tues, get Wed/Thu off, then work Fri/Sat and get Sunday off. It's actually loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm working a 4x10 schedule, so I work Mon/Tues, get Wed/Thu off, then work Fri/Sat and get Sunday off. It's actually loving great.

Yeah, if you can stomach it and they'll let you do it, compressed hours is the way to go. 'course some places won't offer it because it screws with their schedule flexibility.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

greazeball posted:

Is there any kind of work from home available when it's email only? gently caress having non-consecutive days off. What kind of rear end in a top hat makes a schedule like that?

Some of the people who have been there longer do it, but I haven't even been there a week yet, so no go on that.

Best call today was the profanity-spewing grandma who wanted to buy a moose handpuppet we didn't have in stock anymore.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

My contracted working time is 42.5 hours a week.

Boy how I would love to do that in 1 go and then have the rest of the week off.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Jesus christ my new job is a cluster gently caress of bizarre bureaucracy. I did not expect this of IBM

I'll start of by saying it's actually pretty good for me, person with programming experience bypassing the entire pay scale and moving straight to $22 an hour with a recommendation for tier 2 support promotion if I can keep my metrics right. It's really bad for the people without experience in computing who take a large pay cut and no job security.

But at the induction today, they were trying to explain just who we were working for. We don't work for IBM, we work for their hiring agency Manpower, but if anyone asks we work for IBM. If a customer asks, we work for Apple as an Applecare consultant and there is hell to pay if we don't lie to them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I had an interview at a call center today and they sounded pretty positive about me, contingent on my passing an over-the-phone assessment of my Japanese skills (I always get worked up about these kind of tests but I usually do well on them so I guess I should be OK). So I guess I may soon be joining the ranks of all the other posters in this thread. :v:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lord Windy posted:

But at the induction today, they were trying to explain just who we were working for. We don't work for IBM, we work for their hiring agency Manpower, but if anyone asks we work for IBM. If a customer asks, we work for Apple as an Applecare consultant and there is hell to pay if we don't lie to them.

How all outsourced call centres work, really.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Abuse calls are kinda fun, I had one click on the line at 5:05 and just let him vent it all out until 5:29, then reiterated once more why Progressive did what it did (we were totally in the right) and told him if I wouldn't listen to anymore of his abuse and considered our business finished. Oh yay, 5:30, time to go home :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

edit: nm

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Thank goodness there's only e-mails on the weekends:

quote:

"My tracking information says the earthquake in Japan may delay deliveries. Can you assure me my items will not arrive radioactive"‏

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kitsch! posted:

Thank goodness there's only e-mails on the weekends:

Wow. There's a dude with his priorities in order.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Wow. There's a dude with his priorities in order.

Considering our website sells the majority of our products to mothers/expecting mothers/grandmothers, it makes it a little more more understandable, but nevertheless, hilarious.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Guess who's got two thumbs and can't collect poo poo?

THIS GUY!

Yeah, I was demoted. I am now a Transfer Agent, so I place the calls and ask for Joe gently caress, then transfer the call to a collector. Transfer agent is scut work, usually reserved for temps. I'm still in the same cube, but my neighbors ignore me, my boss yells at me, and I don't really talk to anyone for more then a few seconds.

:smith:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

BigDave posted:

Guess who's got two thumbs and can't collect poo poo?

THIS GUY!

Yeah, I was demoted. I am now a Transfer Agent, so I place the calls and ask for Joe gently caress, then transfer the call to a collector. Transfer agent is scut work, usually reserved for temps. I'm still in the same cube, but my neighbors ignore me, my boss yells at me, and I don't really talk to anyone for more then a few seconds.

:smith:

Together with your nick, title and avatar, this hilariously sad.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

BigDave posted:

I'm still in the same cube, but my neighbors ignore me, my boss yells at me, and I don't really talk to anyone for more then a few seconds.

Except for the boss part, that sounds awesome. :confused:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ghostnuke posted:

Except for the boss part, that sounds awesome. :confused:

But, I don't DO anything! I just sit there, dial phone numbers, get voice mail, hang up and repeat. My cube neighbors ignore me, and sometimes hours will go by without me saying anything.

The whole thing is more dull then a butter knife, and I'm not used to it! I am used to talking to people and helping them.

Makes me almost miss the sales floor...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BigDave posted:

But, I don't DO anything! I just sit there, dial phone numbers, get voice mail, hang up and repeat. My cube neighbors ignore me, and sometimes hours will go by without me saying anything.

The whole thing is more dull then a butter knife, and I'm not used to it! I am used to talking to people and helping them.

Makes me almost miss the sales floor...

So basically they've got you being an autodialler? Man, that sucks.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

<3 4x10.

Tuesday-Friday 10p-8a here. Love 4x10 schedule so so much. When I was 5x8 from 10p-6a, I hated it. 10 hour shifts are SO MUCH BETTER if you work an overnight shift. Problem is, it is hard to go back to anything else after that.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Starting a new Tech support job out where I live, it's internal, most money I've made in my life and it's corporate support, no customers just help desks. And according to friends who work there, they treat you like....adults....

No constant stat updates, and you manage your own time. Needless to say stoked, that and I have a good chance of getting my vampiric life back.

ProfessorDandypants
Jan 1, 2006

By Carnegie's diamond-encrusted monocle!
Just started a Telephone Interviewer job, and I'm already thinking of looking for a different position. It's nothing but cold-calling people who think you're a telemarketer even though you're doing legitimate research for universities. So lots of hang-ups, lots of disconnected numbers, lots of answering machines, lots of angry respondents, and I'm supposed to somehow land an interview every four hours when I'm just dialing random numbers.

Should I just suck it up or start the job search over again?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Welp, got a job at a call center doing tech support basically. Not exactly what I dreamt of doing with my college degree but I guess I do get to use my Japanese skills.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm sick of all the training I have to do for my job. I just want get on the phones and start answering questions :(

Oh well, at least I'm learning a lot about soft skills and communication theory that is super interesting

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

ProfessorDandypants posted:

Just started a Telephone Interviewer job, and I'm already thinking of looking for a different position. It's nothing but cold-calling people who think you're a telemarketer even though you're doing legitimate research for universities. So lots of hang-ups, lots of disconnected numbers, lots of answering machines, lots of angry respondents, and I'm supposed to somehow land an interview every four hours when I'm just dialing random numbers.

Should I just suck it up or start the job search over again?

Take the paycheck, keep looking for a job.

On another note, I work as a software engineer for a company that makes call center and automatic/predictive dialer software. I also have to take support calls from your managers. They do dumb things and then call shouting "WHY NO WORK". Good times.

If anyone's interested in the software behind what you're doing, or dumb things your managers do, ask me whatever.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Null Set posted:

On another note, I work as a software engineer for a company that makes call center and automatic/predictive dialer software. I also have to take support calls from your managers. They do dumb things and then call shouting "WHY NO WORK". Good times.

If anyone's interested in the software behind what you're doing, or dumb things your managers do, ask me whatever.

Our relationship with our dialler provider is hilarious - they also provide our scheduling/forecasting software. Basically guys at my level that are reasonably techy and use their software regularly get on fine with the support people. However, someone somewhere has deemed that we're not allowed to talk to the provider directly. We must instead log whatever question or issue we have as an incident with our tech support function. This is then escalated to the second level tech support function which is in India. Once they realise they haven't got a damned clue what to do with an autodialler or a workforce management bit of kit they call the provider, who calls the person who initiated the whole thing back straight away.

Basically 30 second long calls have been extended into a series of phone calls over the course of a couple of hours. Yaaaaay.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Fil5000 posted:

Basically 30 second long calls have been extended into a series of phone calls over the course of a couple of hours. Yaaaaay.

My employer (not even a call centre) instigated a similar policy a while back with the justification that it would allow them to get a clearer picture of common faults so they could take appropriate action with the vendor. Nice idea in principal but when a 5 minute period of being unable to work turns into a 2 hour period of being unable to work, which costs the company more?

Left hand, meet right hand.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

rolleyes posted:

My employer (not even a call centre) instigated a similar policy a while back with the justification that it would allow them to get a clearer picture of common faults so they could take appropriate action with the vendor. Nice idea in principal but when a 5 minute period of being unable to work turns into a 2 hour period of being unable to work, which costs the company more?

Left hand, meet right hand.

Yeah, think that was the logic behind the change for us, however we don't ever bother calling the provider for simple things. The last fault I had to call them for was something up with the datafeed between the call distributor and the forecasting/scheduling software. I had to explain to two separate tech support people what both of those things were, wait for a DAY as it got logged at the wrong incident level, then spent about fifteen seconds talking to the vendor who fixed it during that call. Utterly pointless.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Null Set posted:

Call center managers, jesus gently caress. I got off the phones because they needed another IT person. Then I got to do the other kind of account management for them. The password reset fee ended up at $20 and the default password I reset it to was "bonehead". I got at least $100 from one guy alone. The owner despised most of the staff, so nobody was likely to complain.

Then there were the reports. I did a reporting application in Filemaker that sent emailed the leads to the client. It had two buttons; Run Report and Email Leads. People had trouble with this. It was literally a big green button and a big green button marked "1....." and "2...: And people with college degrees couldn't cope. Once, while one client was on a plane heading for a big internal sales conference I hear this:

:downs: We've been forgetting to press the Email Leads button and our client has to have all of those leads in his email before he lands in three hours.
:v: How many leads are there ?
:downs: About 1100
:v: :doh:

It took half an hour to repurpose the beefiest machine in the shop not already serving a production database. By the time the client land he didn't have all of them, but a few hundred emails were waiting for him and more coming in quickly.

loving idiots. "We forgot to send the client what he's paying for HURRR". The clients weren't the leading lights of their organizations either. One European ERP vendor had the bright idea of having one toll-free number that works from anywhere in the world. Literally any country with tin cans, strings and dial tone. I miss my old AT&T rep, she took the time to do a presentation on , "why this is impossible and will remain so for at least a decade." They're out of business, their shell having been sold three times. I like to think a bunch of greedy, dishonest, incompetent salespeople and a bunch of actively evil, incompetent call center managers were a match made in heaven.

The call center company has folded and been acquired to. I'm outliving my old nemeses and it feels good.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

everyone posted:

red tape

This is doubly stupid because I don't always know if something's gone wrong (granted, there's plenty of poo poo that happens that you never see because we catch it in time). So the longer it takes to tell me, the longer the center will be down. Which means everyone gets upset- especially since it's generally something I can fix in under a minute.

The most maddening thing is when someone opens a ticket about an issue, then calls within two minutes of the ticket being opened. Then demands to know when it's going to be fixed do it right now we're losing money raaaaaaagh.

I have had about six seconds to seriously look at this what is wrong with you

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Then there were the reports. I did a reporting application in Filemaker that sent emailed the leads to the client. It had two buttons; Run Report and Email Leads. People had trouble with this. It was literally a big green button and a big green button marked "1....." and "2...: And people with college degrees couldn't cope. Once, while one client was on a plane heading for a big internal sales conference I hear this:

:downs: We've been forgetting to press the Email Leads button and our client has to have all of those leads in his email before he lands in three hours.
:v: How many leads are there ?
:downs: About 1100
:v: :doh:
We spent a ton of time on interface design- it's ugly as hell but for some reason that works for these people. Also big buttons with pictures on them are good, even if they're totally unrelated to what they do. Saying "Click on the headset" seems to stick better than actually explaining the purpose of what they're doing.

quote:

One European ERP vendor had the bright idea of having one toll-free number that works from anywhere in the world. Literally any country with tin cans, strings and dial tone.
ahahahaha how could anyone with any experience in telecom think this, TFNs are already the biggest beancounter slapfight without throwing in international dialing

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Null Set posted:

ahahahaha how could anyone with any experience in telecom think this, TFNs are already the biggest beancounter slapfight without throwing in international dialing

It rapidly became obvious that she'd already told her bosses she'd get it done and promised to meet a deadline. There were hints that a big print job was just waiting for the number to be put in.

edit: she actually didn't have any experience in telecom. She didn't want to listen to those who did either. Come to think of it, she didn't have any experience in anything really.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 2, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

mllaneza posted:

It rapidly became obvious that she'd already told her bosses she'd get it done and promised to meet a deadline. There were hints that a big print job was just waiting for the number to be put in.

edit: she actually didn't have any experience in telecom. She didn't want to listen to those who did either. Come to think of it, she didn't have any experience in anything really.

That poo poo makes me angry. People that have literally no clue who think that sufficient "blue sky thinking" can overcome real technological restrictions on what is possible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

That poo poo makes me angry. People that have literally no clue who think that sufficient "blue sky thinking" can overcome real technological restrictions on what is possible.

She didn't yell. I'm happy.

Call center life really does hammer your expectation right into the loving ground, doesn't it ?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

mllaneza posted:

She didn't yell. I'm happy.

Call center life really does hammer your expectation right into the loving ground, doesn't it ?

Moving from the operational side of a call centre to a forecasting/planning function where I'm on a team full of people who know what they're doing, talk straight and don't gently caress each other over was like a breath of fresh air.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My call centre is closing soon due to the high Canadian dollar. I'm really leaving for a new job but yay for severance.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So this old fruitcake called in, started the call by asking me my last name, so I knew it was going to be good. I give her my extension number. She wants to preface everything she's about to say by having me note that she's a good customer who pays on time all the time, etc.

I acknowledge this.

She then proceeds to tell me that she will be canceling her insurance policy as soon as possible, because she heard Peter B Lewis (a "chairperson" and figurehead, essentially of the company) is donating 8 BILLION DOLLARS to the American Civil Liberties Union, being (literally) a card carrying member, I was delighted to listen to this crazy dingbat.

She essentially said they're an awful terrorist organization that is seeking to overthrow the US Federal Government.

I started reading a "Peter B Lewis" script we have, because these calls happen at times, she interrupts me halfway to go ".. and in your latest commercial, Flo says 'power to the people', so you can see where THAT'S going"

Then she proceeded to tell me that she's a very influential person and when we get THOUSANDS of calls to cancel policies because of this, don't be surprised.

*click*

Anyway, yeah, fantastic.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

She then proceeds to tell me that she will be canceling her insurance policy as soon as possible, because she heard Peter B Lewis (a "chairperson" and figurehead, essentially of the company) is donating 8 BILLION DOLLARS to the American Civil Liberties Union, being (literally) a card carrying member, I was delighted to listen to this crazy dingbat.

She essentially said they're an awful terrorist organization that is seeking to overthrow the US Federal Government.

I started reading a "Peter B Lewis" script we have, because these calls happen at times, she interrupts me halfway to go ".. and in your latest commercial, Flo says 'power to the people', so you can see where THAT'S going"

Then she proceeded to tell me that she's a very influential person and when we get THOUSANDS of calls to cancel policies because of this, don't be surprised.

*click*

Anyway, yeah, fantastic.

Aww, it was only $8 Million. Still, that's pretty loving awesome of him!

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Me: "Alright, if you will just click "Start" or the start icon, its a little blue icon that is the Windows symbol in the lower left corner. This will bring up the start menu."

Her: "Ok."

Me: "Alright, then click "All Programs and-"

Her: "Wait. I'm still trying to get the menu to come up."

Me: "Ok."

*Time passes*

Me: "Did you find it?"

Her: "Find what?"

Me: "The start menu."

Her: "Huh"

Me: "Ff you will just click "Start" or the start icon, its a little blue icon that is the Windows symbol in the lower left corner. This will bring up the start menu."

Her: "Whats that"

Me: *describes in even greater detail*

Her: "Oh, I found it."

Me: "Ok, now click "All Programs""

Her: "My computer froze."

Me: "Alright, lets give it a minute."

*three minutes pass with silence*

Me: "Are you there?"

Her: "Oh yeah."

Me: "Is it still froze?"

Her: "Oh, no. It started working."

Me: "Ok, lets click "All Programs."

Her: "My battery fell out of my laptop. Its booting back up now."

Me: ":'("

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

So this old fruitcake called in, started the call by asking me my last name, so I knew it was going to be good. I give her my extension number. She wants to preface everything she's about to say by having me note that she's a good customer who pays on time all the time, etc.

I acknowledge this.

*click*

Anyway, yeah, fantastic.

You must work in CRT.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Bovine Delight posted:

You must work in CRT.

Naw, just regular old schmoe servicing policies. It was clear right from the start of the call that she just wanted to say her dumb speech and get on her merry way. What the hell ever. I'll kick them to CRT when it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
Dang, it's been ages since I posted in here and I don't even have any stories to share right now :(. I do, however, have a quick question: Des anyone havw a favourite stress thoy they like to keep on hand to bash about so they don't lose it with the customers? I've had a few, but my latest one is starting to fall apart at the moment and I need something a little sturdier now the new tax year's just started.